+ Reply to Thread
Page 103 of 272 FirstFirst ... 3 53 93 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 113 153 203 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,575 of 6784
    NYYF HOF

Re: 2010 Joba Chamberlain Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Melan-cynic
    Phil hasn't had a fourth pitch until this Spring Training, and your inclusion of a changeup is assuming Phil carries that pitch into the big leagues and it has quality.

We've seen what Joba's fourth pitch (changeup) can be as a starter: http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=4439255

We haven't yet seen a fourth ML pitch from Phil. Not saying it won't happen, but Lazy's post is just not accurate, hence my response.
    If he doesn't have that pitch, I am not sure he can be a ML starter.

He did have a Changeup in 07'. He's had it before. Not sure why he lost it from then to now. Did he have the cutter in 07? No. So it's fair to say that he hasn't had 4 working pitches at a time. Not sure we've seen that from Joba either.

Either way, velocity will be important. 92-94 Hughes >>> the 90-92 version.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellsing
    If he doesn't have that pitch, I am not sure he can be a ML starter.

He did have a Changeup in 07'. He's had it before. Not sure why he lost it from then to now. Did he have the cutter in 07? No. So it's fair to say that he hasn't had 4 working pitches at a time. Not sure we've seen that from Joba either.

Either way, velocity will be important. 92-94 Hughes >>> the 90-92 version.
    I agree with the bookending comments, however the bolded sentence implies you completely avoided the link which I cited as proof. Joba's changeup was dominant in that Red Sox game and he showed at least an average curveball that night as well which he used to strike out Pedroia looking. He has certainly shown both a good curve and changeup in other games as well. He has four ML pitches.

This is just absurd. What exactly constitutes "an actual pitcher" and how can you proclaim Phil as one and Joba not? Joba actually has more pitches than Phil and has proven more as a starter.

Also, if you think Phil's velocity going from 91-93 as a starter to sitting 94-96 as a bullpen arm is not "crucial to his success" as a reliever or starter, you are out of your mind.
    Phil's curve is so far superior to anything Joba throws that we shouldn't even be having this discussion. It has the potential to be one of the top 10 pitches in the game, and I don't think anyone here will argue that. Even if Phil only has three pitches and has to work to find a 4th, it's better than Joba's four.

NYYF HOF

I agree with the bookending comments, however the bolded sentence implies you completely avoided the link which I cited as proof. Joba's changeup was dominant in that Red Sox game and he showed at least an average curveball that night as well which he used to strike out Pedroia looking. He has certainly shown both a good curve and changeup in other games as well.
    I didn't avoid the link. Other than 1 or 2 starts, has Joba been able to put all of his pitches together consistently? That was my question.

His FB sucked last year: -21 RAA. His Slider was good. According to Fangraphs, his Changeup sucked: -3.1 RAA. His curve was OK at 0.3 RAA.

Hughes had a better FB last year. His cutter was 4.6 RAA. His Change up and Curve were both just under average.

So does Joba have a changeup? Sure. He does. Does he throw it with consistency? No. I just don't agree that Joba has 4 good pitches that he throws with ANY consistency.

Not saying Phil does either, but the two he DOES throw are solid. He needs his Curve and Changeup to round into form. (Phil's curve was great in 07, but then again...so was Joba...lol)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by LazyEyeLou
    Phil's curve is so far superior to anything Joba throws that we shouldn't even be having this discussion. It has the potential to be one of the top 10 pitches in the game, and I don't think anyone here will argue that. Even if Phil only has three pitches and has to work to find a 4th, it's better than Joba's four.
    I'd take Joba's slider over Phil's curve. Hyperbole is your friend.

Not saying Phil does either, but the two he DOES throw are solid. He needs his Curve and Changeup to round into form. (Phil's curve was great in 07, but then again...so was Joba...lol)
    It had many moments of greatness last year, too. He just had a bad habit of hanging it at times. If he can reduce that, it'll be be one of the better curves in the game.

The Sausage King of Chicago Abe Frohman's Avatar

The difference is Phil is getting better. Joba is not. Joba started off great and has been in decline. Phil started off well, became sh!tty due to an injury, then found himself in the pen.
    We have yet to see this enlightenment come to fruition, my friend. Hughes has done absolutely jack as a SP at the ML level, outside of 2 or 3 dominant starts. You cannot say Hughes found himself as a starter during his time in the bullpen, simply because he hasnt started any real games after last season. It all starts tonight. JTTP'ers try really hard to make it seem like that ST competition had any reality to it, or that Hughes is head and shoulders better than Chamberlain as a SP, or that Hughes and Chamberlain have been handled similarly as prospects, all of which are clearly FAR from the truth.

And if we're going to have the discussion about who the smarter pitcher is, I'd like to lead with this stat:

First pitch strike %, 2009

Hughes - 62.1%
    Joba - 47.4%

NYYF Legend

And if we're going to have the discussion about who the smarter pitcher is, I'd like to lead with this stat:

Hughes - 62.1%
    Joba - 47.4%
    That makes him smarter? Good lord.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84
    A smarter pitcher, yes. Is that really a huge leap? I mean, 47.4% is really, really bad.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Abe Frohman
    We have yet to see this enlightenment come to fruition, my friend. Hughes has done absolutely jack as a SP at the ML level, outside of 2 or 3 dominant starts. You cannot say Hughes found himself as a starter during his time in the bullpen, simply because he hasnt started any real games after last season. It all starts tonight. JTTP'ers try really hard to make it seem like that ST competition had any reality to it, or that Hughes is head and shoulders better than Chamberlain as a SP, or that Hughes and Chamberlain have been handled similarly as prospects, all of which are clearly FAR from the truth.
    Niether one of them has done anything with any consistency to suggest they can be good SPs.

Hughes was good in 72 IP as a 21 year old. Joba was very good in 08 as a starter.

Neither one has logged enough innings to really prove anything. However, Joba is not trending upward. IDK how you can argue against that point. If the previous sentence was not correct, why wasn't he given the 5th spot in the rotation?

NYYF Legend

A smarter pitcher, yes. Is that really a huge leap?
    If having the God given ability to throw a first pitch strike makes you "smart", I don't know what to tell you.

A smarter pitcher, yes. Is that really a huge leap? I mean, 47.4% is really, really bad.
    In fact, when you compare him to qualifying starting pitchers, it was bad enough to be dead last.

NYYF Legend

This is what I mean when I always say that stats can't be wrong, but our interpretations of them can be.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by NYYDragoon
    This is what I mean when I always say that stats can't be wrong, but our interpretations of them can be.
    IDK how someone can misinterpret having one of the worst fastballs in the game in 09'. (Statistically speaking)

NYYF Legend

IDK how someone can misinterpret having one of the worst fastballs in the game in 09'. (Statistically speaking)
    I was talking about the claim that first pitch strikes = pitching smarts.

Hughes - 62.1%
    Joba - 47.4%
    Hey Lou, i think your lazy eye is hindering your ability to assess the force.

Nice play. Does that prove he's a "smart pitcher" or something?
    Likes the Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Joba is so killing it.
    Disco Stu:
    Nick Swisher has agreed to a $56 mil, 4 year contract with the Cleveland Indians. Good riddance!!!

teknetic
    .268/.367/.483 .850 during his four years here. Can we get rid of you instead?

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by DontHateOnNumber2
    Joba is so killing it.
    If you mean killing the hopes and dreams of fans everywhere, then yes he is.

Makes me wana puke. I'd love to know what exactly they changed in his delivery,
    he looks really uncomfortable out there. Overthrowing FB's, trying to generate
    velocity. WoW is he a mess ...

Slider was nasty tonight at least.
    If you listen to the fans you’ll be sitting with them soon enough.- Brian Cashman

Released Outright

Slider and breaking ball were great. He had trouble with the location on his FB. Jeter makes that play, which he should, and Joba ends the game.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84
    no, but it does tell me something about Lou's intelligence
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Thread Information