+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 272 FirstFirst ... 40 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 60 100 150 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 6784

Re: 2010 Joba Chamberlain Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey
    The armchair experts are convinced that the real experts made the wrong decision.
    Which one are you?

Finally had to change avatars NYYRules#1's Avatar
    Bronx, NY (Home of the Yanks!)/Trumbull, CT

The armchair experts are convinced that the real experts made the wrong decision.
    Ahhh, I love when sound reasoning is dismissed by calling people "armchair experts" and blindly relying on the "real experts."

It's led to so much good decision making in the past, in so many different fields.
    27-TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph
    You know what...if he completely flamed out as a starter in AAA over the first few months, then they could still have the option of putting him back into the pen. But at elast they would have given him that chance to do so.

Its a long season, they cant make everything so final, so early.
    yeah, this is the bottom line, unless they are willing to conclude that he's shot as a starter. but then, if this is true, both the last two yrs and ST make no sense at all. hey, if it's really a square pen in a round hole, then you have to shift course at some point. but after all the false starts and BS, at least give him a shot to work it out. as you say, it's early yet. let things evolve, "water will find its own level".

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by Melan-cynic
    Which one are you?
    Joe Torre fan.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NYYRules#1
    Ahhh, I love when sound reasoning is dismissed by calling people "armchair experts" and blindly relying on the "real experts."

It's led to so much good decision making in the past, in so many different fields.
    I don't know if the "real experts" made the "right" decision here but I'm clearly not convinced they made the "wrong" decision either.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF HOF

I believe they made the right decision with Hughes. He needs to start. I believe they are making the wrong decision with Joba IF they put him in the pen.

It's that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Eschie
    Joe Torre fan.
    FTW

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Melan-cynic
    Which one are you?
    I'm no expert at all, but I trust that Girardi, Eiland, Cashman, and whoever else was involved did what they thought was in the best interest of the Yankees now, and going forward. They have more at stake in this than any of us, and they have more intimate knowlege of the situation than any of us.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper
    I don't know if the "real experts" made the "right" decision here but I'm clearly not convinced they made the "wrong" decision either.
    Ideally, you'd like to give them both a shot, but that can't happen, at least not right off the bat. I hope Hughes has a great year
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF HOF

I'm no expert at all, but I trust that Girardi, Eiland, Cashman, and whoever else was involved did what they thought was in the best interest of the Yankees now, and going forward. They have more at stake in this than any of us, and they have more intimate knowlege of the situation than any of us.
    Then you should question why they decided to change their tune about Joba being a starter.

Then they should put Joba in AAA and have him develop as a starter. Because if they put him in the bullpen that is not the best thing for the Yankees going forward.
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hellsing
    Then you should question why they decided to change their tune about Joba being a starter.
    What..they're not allowed to change their mind? I'm sure Girardi and/or Casman will address that issue shortly.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

[/FONT]

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NYYRules#1
    But there's little reason to think he can never be a solid #2. He was on the precipice of being a solid #2 last year before the Joba Rules went into effect.
    IDK maybe he can maybe he can't.

What I do know is that in 43 starts he has 8.4 K/9, 2.04 K:BB ratio and 4.18 ERA and in 50 relief appearances he has an 11.9 K/9, 3.95 K:BB and 1.50 ERA.

I also know that if they stretch out Hughes to be a starter this year, Joba still has his ~160 IP high from 2009 if they want to use that as a base for a 2011 innings limit should they decide both Phil & Joba should be starting in 2011 if one or both of Andy/Javy isn't back.

Too me this just isn't the gloom and doom scenario some posters appear to be making out out to be.
    Baseball is life;

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ppa79
    Then they should put Joba in AAA and have him develop as a starter. Because if they put him in the bullpen that is not the best thing for the Yankees going forward.
    He should probably try not throwing a slider on a 3-2 count as well.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

Joe Torre fan.
    aaaaahhhhh, the UR-origin of the joba rules .............

NYYF Legend

How do you know that?

[/FONT]

Released Outright

I'll just leave it at that.

Too me this just isn't the gloom and doom scenario some posters appear to be making out out to be.
    If they are short sighted to put Joba in the bullpen then its something to worry about.
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

How do you know that?
    Because starters are more valuable than relievers.
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Hellsing
    Especially when they told him to work on stuff, and once they said "okay, now results count" he pitches well, and they ship him to the bullpen anyway.

Nice that their perceived needs on March 25th are going to dictate what to do with front end potential starter.

Didn't they not need a 5th starter until like April 24? Couldn't they have started them both in Scranton 2-3 times until then? Why not expand the sample size you're using to make a decision (like I don't know, their success starting in '09 and prior in the major leagues).

NYYF Legend

I'll just leave it at that.
    That's all you can do. Everything else is opinion, wishful thinking, and pure speculation.

[/FONT]

Released Outright

That's all you can do. Everything else is opinion, wishful thinking, and pure speculation.
    It's a wonder why we even bother discussing anything? It's in God's hands, he's the expert.

NYYF Legend

If they are short sighted to put Joba in the bullpen then its something to worry about.
    They play in the toughest division in baseball. Some sites have the Yanks winning the 3rd most games in all of baseball and MISSING the playoffs. For $200M+ that's probably not really acceptable to the FO. The Al East is a division where 2 wins could be the difference between 1st and 3rd place. If Joba in the pen gives them the best chance at those extra 2 wins it is not short sighted to put him in the pen.
    Baseball is life;

They play in the toughest division in baseball. Some sites have the Yanks winning the 3rd most games in all of baseball and MISSING the playoffs. For $200M+ that's probably not really acceptable to the FO. The Al East is a division where 2 wins could be the difference between 1st and 3rd place. If Joba in the pen gives them the best chance at those extra 2 wins it is not short sighted to put him in the pen.
    Yes it is because they are thinking of short term gains instead of the big picture. The big picture is developing cost controlled dominate starting pitchers.
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84
    There was a pitcher in the first round of the same draft as Joba (with virtually the same talent) who was mishandled just as poorly.
    Morrow? Yeah, I guess he's up there as well. Doesn't excuse the Yankees though.
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

Thread Information