+ Reply to Thread
Page 200 of 272 FirstFirst ... 100 150 190 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 210 250 ... LastLast
Results 4,976 to 5,000 of 6784
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2010 Joba Chamberlain Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JeterRodriguezSheff
    And whose to say his weight is the problem? A lot of pitchers need the weight to maintain power. Also the bigger dudes last longer usually over their career.

I dont see you bad mouthing CC for a work ethic? That is because he is getting results, not because he comes into camp in better shape. So as I said before, you have no idea. Neither do I.
    Truth be told, I thought CC looked considerably fatter this year than last.

Ace of the Staff JeterRodriguezSheff's Avatar

Thats my point. Nobody gives a **** about CC's weight or work ethic because he is getting results. The lack of results is the only reason people are saying Joba doesnt work hard. Hell when he was doing well a few years ago all anybody talked about was what a good story he was, how his dad did an excellent job in raising him and other feel good remarks. That was because he was doing well. Now that he is struggling everyone has done a 360 and its annoying. Truth be told we have no idea why he is struggling. There can be a 1000 reasons. Maybe he just doesnt have the mental fortitude to take it in New York, maybe he is trying too hard, maybe he is a afraid of getting injured, maybe his mechanics are out of whack, maybe he is being blackmailed by the mafia to throw games. Who the **** knows.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by R.V.47
    The word on Joba at least according to Joel Sherman in multiple articles is that Joba gets to comfortable when hes given a role and tends to lose focus when that happens.

If thats true then it would only make sense that a demotion to AAA or at least to a lesser role in the pen would get him back on track.
    Wait, so now giving Joba a defined role is the problem? I thought it was the yanking him around between roles that was the problem? Just trade the kid already so he has a chance to start over before suffering a nervous breakdown.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko
    IMO Joba isn't taking his job as a major league pitcher seriously. I think he's grown up having it easy with such an overpowering arm and has never developed the work ethic needed at this level to really succeed. Just look at his shape when he's shown up for spring training these past two years. Looks like the twinkie diet & couch-TV workout program. I'd love for a change that he show up in Thoroughbred form having worked on his pitching the whole offseason. I think he needs to put his head down, accept that there's a lot of work to be done and "just do it" until the results come. There's gotta be someone out there that can help set this kid straight
    Our ace is also on the Twinkie diet and couch-TV workout program. If you're good, then you're good.

I wouldn't even care about Joba's weight if he hadn't come into what he was told could be a potentially career altering spring training and competition fatter than usual this season, from several accounts.

this isn't one of the best pitchers in baseball who has proven himself time and time again like CC. this is a kid, on the eve of a competition (as far as he was concerned) for a spot even guys like Aceves and Mitre were geared up to try and earn, who couldn't bother to maintain his "normal" out of shape stature, nevermind go full-bore.

everyone is always so quick to hang the team for mishandling him, cutting him off for any and all responsiblity for his failings, but what the hell kind of work ethic does that show?

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

......... joba chamberlain, your grade point average is .........

-- Joba Chamberlain (1-4, 5.79 ERA): F
    Being tough here, because Chamberlain has been lights out at times, no doubt. But the set-up job calls for consistency, and in that regard, he is clearly failing.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...ader-assi.html

Quote Originally Posted by YESSIR!
    Wait, so now giving Joba a defined role is the problem? I thought it was the yanking him around between roles that was the problem? Just trade the kid already so he has a chance to start over before suffering a nervous breakdown.
    No, the word on Joba in the organization is that he loses focus when he gets to comfortable in a certain role.

Im not talking about the shifting between the pen and rotation, the damage done there is pretty evident. Im talking about a demotion to AAA or a lesser role as motivation to focus and pitch better.

But manager Joe Girardi has said publicly that Chamberlain must earn that position, and several Yankees officials insisted to The Post that is not just said for effect or as a motivational ploy toward Chamberlain, a player the organization does worry about when he gets too comfortable.

If you listen to the fans you’ll be sitting with them soon enough.- Brian Cashman

40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Watching that makes me cry

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Muhozi
    My eyes definitely got a little hot.

Who is that man and where did someone take him?!

The tilt on the slider in that Padre game is totally ridiculous. Completely different pitcher. He looks to be in better shape there, the follow through is different, the confidence. Memories.
    If you listen to the fans you’ll be sitting with them soon enough.- Brian Cashman

We turned our Strasburg into Kyle Farnsworth. We deserve lashings!

From that to what he is now. WTF.

Finally had to change avatars NYYRules#1's Avatar
    Bronx, NY (Home of the Yanks!)/Trumbull, CT

I told myself I wouldn't watch those videos. I did anyway.

So depressing. Where have you gone Joba?
    1923•1927•1928•1932•1936•1937•1938•1939•1941•1943•1947•1949•1950
    1951•1952•1953•1956•1958•1961•1962•1977•1978•1996•1998•1999•2000
    27-TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS

I'm not much of a mechanics expert but it seems Joba had a much less violent finish in his delivery than he does now, also there seems to be a mid hitch in between as well just before he delivers the ball which he no longer does. Someone correct me if i am wrong though.

I just wish he would go back to what he used to be. His slider was just filthy and along with his fastball was unhittable at times, *sighs*
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Plus fastball, plus slider, plus curve his stuff was filthy back then. The sad thing is that this was only 2 years ago! How on Gods green earth can a pitcher go downhill like that within such a short time? Dammit does he not like baseball anymore? Seeing those videos just makes me mad. I have a feeling they screwed with his mechanics so much that he is having trouble repeating them. Also, how about making him get on a treadmill?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by modey3
    Plus fastball, plus slider, plus curve his stuff was filthy back then. The sad thing is that this was only 2 years ago! How on Gods green earth can a pitcher go downhill like that within such a short time? Dammit does he not like baseball anymore? Seeing those videos just makes me mad. I have a feeling they screwed with his mechanics so much that he is having trouble repeating them. Also, how about making him get on a treadmill?
    Lots of young pitchers flame out early. Most of the time there's just no explanation.

Man those videos were depressing. Remember the 12 K game against the Sox?

So disappointing. I really hope he figures himself out, cause whatever slop he is throwing now is nothing compared to his former self.
    "No matter who you vote for, the government always gets in." - Bill Hicks

"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." - Leo Durocher

NYYF Cy Young

there is little doubt from watching those clips that his condition is much different than it is now. He has let himself go a little physically, he's just a different person right now and it's really unfortunate.

Old saying...billion dollar potential, 10 cent head.

Released Outright JavyVazquezIsSick's Avatar

It's funny Joba's performance this season is a surprise to anyone.

The Sausage King of Chicago Abe Frohman's Avatar

I'm not much of a mechanics expert but it seems Joba had a much less violent finish in his delivery than he does now, also there seems to be a mid hitch in between as well just before he delivers the ball which he no longer does. Someone correct me if i am wrong though.

I just wish he would go back to what he used to be. His slider was just
    filthy and along with his fastball was unhittable at times, *sighs*
    From all accounts, the changes they made to his delivery were to remove
    the violent whip type action he did with his arm. That midway hitch youre
    referring to, that apparently needed to go. Specifically, his body was falling
    towards the mound and he would cut it short by not completely following thru
    in his delivery, causing his arm to whip. According to Eiland, this whip motion
    causes stress on the shoulder. ( Arlington ? )

What really bothered me about all these changes was that ALL young pitchers
    are prone to injury. The Yankees overreacted and these changes, coupled with
    jerking him around from RP to SP to RP FUBAR'ed a potential Ace.

Admit defeat. Admit you F***ed up. Send him down.

ESPN >> is joba on thin ice ?? ......... well, it's clear we have to do SOMETHING, as status quo has sucked for a few months already ..........

http://sports.espn.go.com/newyork/ml...ory?id=5384499

Quote Originally Posted by President Kennedy
    He just needs to be sent down and rebuilt. That seems to be the only viable option.
    this has been the most logical choice for a while, but .............

One thing they aren't going to do is send him to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (Triple-A) to refine his mechanics.

"There has been zero talk about that," general manager Brian Cashman said yesterday.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yanke...#ixzz0tqe0gSbm

PS hopefully this is just GM BS as cashman hits the market for trades or alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by JSG

......... joba chamberlain, your grade point average is .........
    Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.....
    Don't look down here.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPip1998
    Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.....
    citing the classics !! .............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1hnwvWhbJw

Thread Information