+ Reply to Thread
Page 489 of 562 FirstFirst ... 389 439 479 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 499 539 ... LastLast
Results 12,201 to 12,225 of 14030

Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    And if you adjusted ARod's contract to today's MLB salary levels we'd be looking at 40+. Cano's contract, put in context, isn't even in the same league as ARod's contract.
    it's still a gross overpay.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

NYYF Legend

do something, baldy
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    do something, baldy
    You think he's bald, you should get a look at Jack Z., he looks like Egghead from the old Batman series.
    Okay Hal and Brian, I might be a sucker, but you got 3 more years to fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    I am shocked at the direction that the Yankees have gone this off season. I honestly expected the Yankees to address their catching position, re-sign Cano, and then aggressively pursue additional pitching.
    I think the problem with the pitching is that their really isnt much attractive on the market. I think they clearly want Tanaka, and will go all out to get him if he is posted. Beyond that? Do we really want to overpay for someone like Garza? I almost think giving someone like Colon a 1 year deal would be better. Maybe Gardner could get us a decent pitcher back, but I have a feeling we value him more then the rest of MLB does. Still lots of time to fill the pitching holes though.

I just don't think we have that many starting slots.

Kuroda
    CC
    Nova
    Pineda

are all pretty much penciled in barring injuries and disastrous spring training outings. All we really need is an innings eater type like Bronson Arroyo or Bartolo Colon. Anything more than that is nice, but not really necessary given what we've got in the wings.

The left side of the infield though. Oh, boy.

Omar Infante needs to be our top priority right now and I think all of baseball knows it.

Not sure if we can count on Pineda. The guy has thrown 40 minor league innings in the last 2 seasons. He probably should start the year in AAA to build up his arm and see if he can stay healthy.

He cost too much to not be in MLB rotation unless he completely blows it in ST.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

He needs to prove he's completely healthy in ST, and basically earn a slot as the #5. And then comes the question of how many innings is he capable of throwing after two years off. So one more dependable starter is really critical to this rotation.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    He needs to prove he's completely healthy in ST, and basically earn a slot as the #5. And then comes the question of how many innings is he capable of throwing after two years off. So one more dependable starter is really critical to this rotation.
    I agree. Pineda has a slot if he's completely healthy and effective. They really don't know if he is, though. By all means, write him in in one of those slots - but write him in pencil, lightly, not in pen. Don't take that one for granted.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

How much do we think Colon will ask for? IMO I wouldnt be against signing Tanaka and Colon.

This gives you CC/Kuroda/Nova/Tanaka as your top 4. #5 would be Pineda IF he earns it, if not its Colon. If Pineda earns it, then he is your #5 with Colon in the pen as the long man/starter insurance.

In a perfect world, Pineda is lights out in ST and earns a spot. You then have Colon as a long man/starter insurance. If Pineda is shaky, he goes down to AAA to build himself back up and you have Colon in the rotation.

The winter meetings will be over in the morning, the Yankees will come home empty handed.

It appears that the only entries in Cashman's playbook remain "offer a free agent more years / money than anyone else" and "sign someone too old / injured to be attractive to anyone else".

So much for being bold...
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.

"They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark19 View Post
    The winter meetings will be over in the morning, the Yankees will come home empty handed.

It appears that the only entries in Cashman's playbook remain "offer a free agent more years / money than anyone else" and "sign someone too old / injured to be attractive to anyone else".

Lol......did we lose the winter meetings? Drat!

What was he supposed to do?
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Lol......did we lose the winter meetings? Drat!

What was he supposed to do?
    Either keep the reckless spending going or come up with some creative moves to acquire cost-controlled talent to plug our infield and pitching vacancies.

The Yankees haven't done anything dramatic at the winter meetings since the Granderson trade. It would be nice to see them actually make a move that improves the club long term.
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.

"They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Either keep the reckless spending going or come up with some creative moves to acquire cost-controlled talent to plug our infield and pitching vacancies.

The Yankees haven't done anything dramatic at the winter meetings since the Granderson trade. It would be nice to see them actually make a move that improves the club long term.
    Are moves not allowed to be made after the winter meetings?

And what cost controlled players were available that we could match up with?
    Tanaka sounds good, but he just posted now.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

I just don't think we have that many starting slots.

Kuroda
    CC
    Nova
    Pineda

are all pretty much penciled in barring injuries and disastrous spring training outings. All we really need is an innings eater type like Bronson Arroyo or Bartolo Colon. Anything more than that is nice, but not really necessary given what we've got in the wings..
    No matter how deep the starting pitching is, we'll see a couple of starters by August who we've never heard of......happens every year. As of now we're a long way from deep.
    Let the kids play.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Exactly. I have criticized Cashman in the past but to get on him for letting 5 days go by without adding another all star? Wow.
    Life is good!

NYYF Triple Crown

This is the sort of question that often comes up when someone criticizes Cashman. How do we fans know who's available at any given time? How many trades turn out to fulfill fans' predictions of who should be traded for whom? Unexpected deals turn up all the time. I don't think it's up to us to determine whom a GM should be chasing as a trade target when he's the only one in touch with all the other GMs. I think he's in a much better position than we are to answer those questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    No matter how deep the starting pitching is, we'll see a couple of starters by August who we've never heard of......happens every year. As of now we're a long way from deep.
    Agree, but can say the same about Red Sox.

As of right now, we're basically guaranteed to see a Nobody (or Nunez) starting at 3B on opening day.

That horrifies me more than the state of our starting rotation now.

As of right now, we're basically guaranteed to see a Nobody (or Nunez) starting at 3B on opening day.

It shouldn't.
    The offensive production that will come from the other 8 poisitions in the lineup can hide the non-production at 3rd base.

Ain't no hiding bad starting pitching.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

NYYF Legend

Do you really think that the starting rotation depth between us and the Sox is similar?
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    It shouldn't.
    The offensive production that will come from the other 8 poisitions in the lineup can hide the non-production at 3rd base.

Ain't no hiding bad starting pitching.
    Except that we don't know about Jeter's ability to hold down SS, so we might see a black offensive hole from Brendan Ryan there, and we don't know who's playing 2B either. Potentially hiding non production from a third of the lineup is still as scary as the starting pitching, but let's hope this fleshes out over the next few months.

Why did he have to make a move in these specific 4 days? There are still two full months of off-season left...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    Why did he have to make a move in these specific 4 days? There are still two full months of off-season left...
    I agree. Let's see if Tanaka gets posted, I am starting to believe he will. Yanks win him, plan A. Yanks lose him, plan B.

Moves will be made, we are not starting the year with a three man rotation.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    Agreed. It's not like the Yankees have sat on their hands this offseason.

You can absolutely argue the wisdom of their moves, but if that contract for Ellsbury is not "bold", if letting Cano walk is not "bold", if signing McCann quickly well ahead of the Winter Meetings is not "bold", etc... then what the heck is?

He could have signed Infante during the last few days, but his asking price was too high. I get the sense that you would have whined about that, too.

Is there a moaning and bitching quota you have to make up in a day or something?

Thread Information