+ Reply to Thread
Page 458 of 523 FirstFirst ... 358 408 448 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 468 508 ... LastLast
Results 11,426 to 11,450 of 13052
    NYYF Legend

Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    You are overlooking maybe the biggest thing. That Jackson doesnt even hit FA till 2016. Detroit has this season and two more full years of arbitration. Thats assuming they dont lock him up long term to a very reasonable deal. He's 26 coming off his best year to date. Started off slow this year no doubt, then got hurt, but he's been hitting extremely well (close to .350 in 75 AB's) since he returned.

Meanwhile we are paying Granderson $15M this year and he's outta here after this year is done. Jackson is getting paid $3.5M this year. Jackson is trending upwards, Granderson downwards. I'd sure like to have that extra $11M and change to have been able to use it this past offseason.
    ^^This^^

You can split hairs on Granderson/Ajax, but you cannot ignore the financial implications. Yanks could have kept Ajax, and turned the savings into a very solid player for another position. Perhaps they used it so sign Russell Martin, perhaps another position. Whatever, couple that, and keeping Ajax would have been significantly more valuable.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

there's levels to this! ARoDfan4life's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    This assessment of Heathcott amused me: "At best right now, he looks like an extra outfielder, if he doesn’t hit." Couldn't you say the same thing about, say, Willie Mays?
    point is Slade has had over 1,000 ABs and he's a .268 hitter slugging under .400. That's not good at all. Brian Cashman's end has been past due. This man has not rebuilt our system at all.
    "I wish the Yankees had a GM"

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    ^^This^^

You can split hairs on Granderson/Ajax, but you cannot ignore the financial implications. Yanks could have kept Ajax, and turned the savings into a very solid player for another position. Perhaps they used it so sign Russell Martin, perhaps another position. Whatever, couple that, and keeping Ajax would have been significantly more valuable.
    had the Yankees kept Ajax, Gardner's contract doesn't become an issue. They'd have Jackson at CF and Gardner at LF. Gardner now is going to ask for 12 + Million per season at 30+ yrs. old. And the only GM dumb enough to grant that wish would be Cashman.

This man needs to get thie biggest kick in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by ARoDfan4life View Post
    point is Slade has had over 1,000 ABs and he's a .268 hitter slugging under .400. That's not good at all. Brian Cashman's end has been past due. This man has not rebuilt our system at all.
    I don't disagree, I was just amused by how the scout's assessment was worded. Any outfielder is an extra outfielder if he doesn't hit.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

So you are mad at Cash for giving away a prospect in AJ who put up similar mL stats to Slade, but you think Slade sucks?
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    So you are mad at Cash for giving away a prospect in AJ who put up similar mL stats to Slade, but you think Slade sucks?
    How is Slade like AJax right now?

.287/.355/.408

vs

.268/.347/.396

not to mention Slade as a LHB has a bigger advantage and he still is under performing.

AA Ajax
    .285/.354/.419

AA Slade
    .245/.311/.366

how many more years folks. How many years are we going to let this clown lie to us about our farm system players. How many more?

The next 3B is?

The next RF is?

The next LF is?

The next CF is? we're not paying Gardner 12M per season get that illusion the hell out of your head, I swear he deserves a kick in the nuts and a firing if he makes that move

The next 1B is?

The next SS is?

The next C is?

you can't name one player that is 1 or 2 yrs. away from this. This is Brian Cashman's lies coming to a head. Can him already! he been exposed!

How is Slade like AJax right now?

.287/.355/.408

vs

.268/.347/.396

not to mention Slade as a LHB has a bigger advantage and he still is under performing.

AA Ajax
    .285/.354/.419

AA Slade
    .245/.311/.366
    One is 763 the other is 743 that's how. You are looking at the difference of 100 OPS+ v 105 OPS+.

You can say one is better (debatable, injuries/BABIP and such), but you can't say one sucks while the other was the savior.

Why does being LH matter? They aren't playing in NYS.

One is 763 the other is 743 that's how. You are looking at the difference of 100 OPS+ v 105 OPS+.

You can say one is better (debatable, injuries/BABIP and such), but you can't say one sucks while the other was the savior.

Why does being LH matter? They aren't playing in NYS.
    what you think he's drafted to be a punchy hitter? AJax displayed power for a stretch, the reports of Slade is he still flails at everything. A breaking ball is his worst nightmare.

what you think he's drafted to be a punchy hitter? AJax displayed power for a stretch, the reports of Slade is he still flails at everything. A breaking ball is his worst nightmare.
    Slade has shown a higher ISO and similar K rates in the minors thus far than AJ.

how many more years folks. How many years are we going to let this clown lie to us about our farm system players. How many more?

The next 3B is?

The next RF is?

The next LF is?

The next CF is? we're not paying Gardner 12M per season get that illusion the hell out of your head, I swear he deserves a kick in the nuts and a firing if he makes that move

The next 1B is?

The next SS is?

The next C is?

you can't name one player that is 1 or 2 yrs. away from this. This is Brian Cashman's lies coming to a head. Can him already! he been exposed!
    You remind me of the right wing nuts who hate Obama.

Murphy and Austin look close to me. Or how about that LF we currently have that you like so much.

You remind me of the right wing nuts who hate Obama.

Murphy and Austin look close to me. Or how about that LF we currently have that you like so much.
    Murphy is still a baby in AAA, they aren't pushing him right now. Murph has alot to prove, you can say he's better than Romine but that's not exactly hard to do right now.

Tyler Austin is still a kid. He hasn't completely torn up AA either.

You do realize he is hitting .237 in his last 10 games? .258 vs RH .276 vs LH. He's not 2 yrs. away either. Improving yes but to every day in the majors? No.

Murphy is still a baby in AAA, they aren't pushing him right now. Murph has alot to prove, you can say he's better than Romine but that's not exactly hard to do right now.

Tyler Austin is still a kid. He hasn't completely torn up AA either.

You do realize he is hitting .237 in his last 10 games? .258 vs RH .276 vs LH. He's not 2 yrs. away either. Improving yes but to every day in the majors? No.
    If you cherry pick 10 game samples, then Slade and Murph look 2 years away.

Edit: they aren't pushing Murphy? He started in AA this year. Probably got the promotion because of the abuse he is putting on AA and he doing the same to AAA. He will be up sometime next year.

If you cherry pick 10 game samples, then Slade and Murph look 2 years away.

Edit: they aren't pushing Murphy? He started in AA this year. Probably got the promotion because of the abuse he is putting on AA and he doing the same to AAA. He will be up sometime next year.
    then let him abuse AAA first. I'd love for him to come up to the big leagues, but that bat needs to continue dominance on AAA first. He comes up here and pulls an Ike Davis it'd be a disaster.

The bottom line is that, regardless of how one spins the mL numbers, Cashman has been in full control of this team since at least 2005, and has yet to produce much of anything from the farm beyond Gardner, who is a good but not a great player, and DRob, a very good reliever. There is no one in the high minors who is projecting to be an impact player in the ML, which is inexcusable, particularly for a team which has a number of position players rapidly approaching their expiration date and is looking to cut spending further. I know the Cashman apologists typically bring up the fact that the Yankees select low due to their success, but other teams (eg Atlanta) seem chronically successful and always seem to have very good players coming up from the farm. This points to a fundamental flaw in drafting strategy and a lack of creativity in trades. He whiffed on Darvish, who would have cost only money and would have given us a 1b ace as Sabathia began his decline. Were we even in on Cespedes? On Puig? If not, this is stunning, particularly for a team with nothing close in the high minors.
    This is a results-oriented business. The results haven't been there, 8 years into the plan. At what point will he be held accountable?

I only have one issue with Cashman, and its probably been addressed in here already.

Why wasn't Martin re-signed?

Watching Stewart every day makes me want to vomit

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post
    I only have one issue with Cashman, and its probably been addressed in here already.

I think this was probably equal parts Hal and Cashman. I think Hal was slow in getting Cashman a hard budget in the offseason, and Martin felt he couldn't wait, given the Pirates offer on the table. I think Cashman felt Martin was low priority, given his low average last year, and didn't want to commit the millions to him it would have taken to sign him. I think he saw C as a position where he could save money.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post

Stewart can't hit a lick but I actually enjoy watching him catch. He's a very fine receiver behind the plate. Too bad he can't hit.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bomber999 View Post
    The bottom line is that, regardless of how one spins the mL numbers, Cashman has been in full control of this team since at least 2005, and has yet to produce much of anything from the farm beyond Gardner, who is a good but not a great player, and DRob, a very good reliever. There is no one in the high minors who is projecting to be an impact player in the ML, which is inexcusable, particularly for a team which has a number of position players rapidly approaching their expiration date and is looking to cut spending further. I know the Cashman apologists typically bring up the fact that the Yankees select low due to their success, but other teams (eg Atlanta) seem chronically successful and always seem to have very good players coming up from the farm. This points to a fundamental flaw in drafting strategy and a lack of creativity in trades. He whiffed on Darvish, who would have cost only money and would have given us a 1b ace as Sabathia began his decline. Were we even in on Cespedes? On Puig? If not, this is stunning, particularly for a team with nothing close in the high minors.
    This is a results-oriented business. The results haven't been there, 8 years into the plan. At what point will he be held accountable?

Having a low pick in the first round should not be the reason given for the Yankees lack of success in the draft. Say they have the 28th pick. All that means is there are 27 players they do not have a shot at. Many great players are drafted in rounds 2-5. Even with the 27th pick in the first round the Yankees still have dozens of potential major league players available to draft.

Study after study shows there is a huge drop off in the quality of prospects after the first 10picks or so.

Here is another one:

http://viewfromthebleachers.com/blog...picks-by-slot/

pick 26-30 has 10% chance to be "successful". (Nick Punto would be about the worst of the bunch, if he were arb eligible for past 6 years)
    Pick 1 to 5, 48%.

chances of picking a superior player: (Gardner is just a little better than the definition they use, so you get an idea)
    30% for 1 to 5
    25% for 6 to 10
    16% for 11-15
    6% for 26 to 30

The dropoff is very steep. The data overwhelmingly says MLB drafts are very top heavy in terms of value. Once you get past the first 10, 20, or so, it quickly degenerates to crap shots.

Last time we picked top 10 was No. 6 in 1992. We drafted Derek Jeter. Since then, 13 in 1993 and 17 in 2005 are the highest picks we got. Rarely getting in the top half, and almost never top 10, in the draft is a major handicap.

Mamma Cashman, is that you? We mean no harm to your baby boy!

By the way, teams better than the Yankees at the whole process, like the Braves, Sox and Cards, vehemently disagree with these less than scientific, cherry-picking "studies" by blog writers like Michael Jimenez.

On another note, I'm taking a proactive stance since it will inevitably be brought up by you....again: No, Cashman is not responsible for Cano.

Cashman has been GM since 1998.

Robbie was signed in 2001.

My post wasn't even trying to make Cashman seem great. I was more pointing out we've gotten more out of IFA than at least half of the teams out there and that there is significant amount of luck involved.

As for the draft picks, you might want to compare our first round draft picks to the other teams you mentioned. Hint: they draft a lot higher on average and in the top 15 a lot more often.

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    Cashman has been GM since 1998.

Robbie was signed in 2001.
    Don't you realize the following:

When prospects turn out bad, Cashman gets the blame.

When prospects turn out good, Cashman gets no credit.

Personally, I can't wait until Cashman is gone so we can turn that page like we did with Torre.
    Please fire Cashman, so some Yankee fans can have hope again.

Cashman was given autonomy after the 2005 season. Prior to that, as much as some people would like to think that everything bad was Tampa, and everything good was Cashman (clearly that notion has been dispelled now that Cashman's been in charge), it simply wouldn't be fair or accurate to attribute either to him. There were checks and balances in place and you can bet such decisions were not solely made by him....if he even had a hand in any of it other than his recommendations. My educated guess is that the Cano signing would be attributed to the Tampa/Oppenheimer faction, as seemingly all farm decisions and player personnel were back then.

That said, let's face it - it was George's (and Sticks) call back in those days and Cashman took on duties that were less significant in nature. George simply didn't allow him to make high stake decisions, and he (Cashman) was often publicly derided by George, as an incompetent, whenever given an opportunity. The dude simply couldn't close a deal back then, often forcing George to take over negotiations. Surely, most of us remember that, no? Why he stayed on and took all that punishment is beyond me, but I always saw it as more of a love/hate, father/son, mentor/student relationship, than anything else, as dysfunctional as it might have been. Plus, the salary wasn't too shabby.

More articles on the difficulties of developing MLB talents. This one is for pitchers

http://www.pinstripedbible.com/2013/...chers-part-one

Then part 2 shows we actually did pretty well developing the pitching talents we did manage to pick up, not great, but at least comparable.

http://www.pinstripedbible.com/2013/...chers-part-two

I keep hearing Yankees are bad at developing prospects but all the data, after adjusting for the prospects available to us, suggest we're at worst right about average and actually could be above average.

That's actually pretty remarkable, considering the handicaps we work with.

Thread Information