+ Reply to Thread
Page 449 of 562 FirstFirst ... 349 399 439 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 459 499 549 ... LastLast
Results 11,201 to 11,225 of 14026
    Yanksfanintoronto Yanksfanintoronto's Avatar

Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by ARodCanoMelky View Post
    Good pitching , bad hitters.
    So good Teams don't have good pitching?

What in the.....
    Death, Taxes and King Eli under centre

This only proves, that he can't field a good baseball team without spending 100m+ on superstar players.

Yeah -- if only you or a committee from this Board working from stats from the internet decided how to spend the money available to Cashman this off season, the Yankees, even with their injuries, would have the best record in baseball now.

And who cares about how good a team is on "paper?" The games on the field are what is important. Watch them and enjoy. They took 6 of 7 from the Jays, a team I am sure you think is better on "paper."

As for this team for 162, Cashman has very good reason to believe this will be a very different team in August.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanksfanintoronto View Post
    So good Teams don't have good pitching?

What in the.....

What ?...
    Ain't it EVIL to LIVE backwards

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Good pitching , bad hitters.
    Cano and Gardner are bad?

Not to mention Youk and Pronk won't be vintage, but still be at least league average at their positions. I'm starting to believe the same about Wells, tambien.

Team currently constructed, is a team not unlike the Rays.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    . Watch them and enjoy.
    Can't say I don't empathize with the majority of fans who watch the Replacements and have their minds made up before the games are even played, but ultimately, Yankee fans theoretically cheer on the Yankees.

Shouldn't matter who is wearing the pinstripes if they are winning.

This team is actually more fun to me than teams in recent past because the expectations are so low and they keep disproving everybody.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

So are you telling me that because we are 17-10 this is a well constructed team ? give me a break. This team is more lucky than good because of our pitching.
    No one was arguing whether this was a well-constructed team. You said that Cashman's quote proved he couldn't build a team "without spending 100m+ on superstar players." I'nm not sure how a quote proves more than their record does.

More importantly, while I'd agree that this team is overly reliant on some older, fragile pitchers, it's hard to argue that some of the decisions in the offseason (Hafner, giving Cervelli a shot) have worked out pretty well. They won't win at this pace all year, but they could have easily collapsed with the injuries they've had.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

I guess I'm just a Cashman homer as I think he's a great GM. It's undeniable that he exploits a (buzzword warning) market inefficiency with all the aging players he signs on the cheap. Colon, Garcia, and Pronk (he's basically already earned his contract) are the best examples of this. It remains to be seen how Wells and Youkilis turn out as they aren't that cheap, but those other 3, every GM in baseball had the funds to sign.

Yanksfanintoronto Yanksfanintoronto's Avatar

What ?...
    Im genuinely confused with the point your trying to make.

So your saying that Cashman has not assembled a good team or a team that can sustain over the course of a full season and get into the playoffs because they have good pitching but bad hitting? In that case Good pitching doesn't matter?
    Death, Taxes and King Eli under centre

So are you telling me that because we are 17-10 this is a well constructed team ?
    I'm with you. The Yankees have been winning, but I still don't think they're a very good team. I think they've been playing over their heads.

Don't get me wrong, teams can play over their heads straight through the season. Occasionally they even end up winning the World Series. It doesn't mean they're well-constructed teams, or even necessarily especially good.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I'm with you. The Yankees have been winning, but I still don't think they're a very good team. I think they've been playing over their heads.

Don't get me wrong, teams can play over their heads straight through the season. Occasionally they even end up winning the World Series. It doesn't mean they're well-constructed teams, or even necessarily especially good.
    I get you, but the team that's on the field is a stop gap until the regular lineup returns. Many of us hoped they could stay within a reasonable range until a few of the regulars started to return. The fact that they've exceded expectations to date is spectacular. The retreads Cashman has signed have been well above expectations, and he should get credit for that.
    Team Northern Lights

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    I get you, but the team that's on the field is a stop gap until the regular lineup returns. Many of us hoped they could stay within a reasonable range until a few of the regulars started to return. The fact that they've exceded expectations to date is spectacular. The retreads Cashman has signed have been well above expectations, and he should get credit for that.
    Especially since Cashman has a great record w/ scrap heap pickups. Chacon, Small, Colon etc etc. He's done great at trade deadline and other "smaller" type deals

Then the question comes up as to why the Yanks have to go that route so much ( outside of injuries )-and the failure to develop and find players. That's his Achilles heel
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    Especially since Cashman has a great record w/ scrap heap pickups. Chacon, Small, Colon etc etc. He's done great at trade deadline and other "smaller" type deals

Then the question comes up as to why the Yanks have to go that route so much ( outside of injuries )-and the failure to develop and find players. That's his Achilles heel
    I've always expected the LTDs signed and our aging legacy players to catch up to us eventually, so seeing us in this spot really isn't a head scratcher.

Having older players who still over perform is going to create situations where they're on the DL.
    Team Northern Lights

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    I've always expected the LTDs signed and our aging legacy players to catch up to us eventually, so seeing us in this spot really isn't a head scratcher.

Having older players who still over perform is going to create situations where they're on the DL.
    Amazing that has been obvious for years that we would need a replacement for Jeter and the best we could do is Nunie

Amazing that has been obvious for years that we would need a replacement for Jeter and the best we could do is Nunie
    Who? Serious question. And I'm not asking you to play GM and tell me who could have been had. I just think SS has been a pretty shallow position for while now. There are starters that should probably be backups out there. Jeter plays a lot of games game. Where were they supposed to get someone to back him up and only play a dozen or so games a year that's going to provide such quality relief?

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Who? Serious question. And I'm not asking you to play GM and tell me who could have been had. I just think SS has been a pretty shallow position for while now. There are starters that should probably be backups out there. Jeter plays a lot of games game. Where were they supposed to get someone to back him up and only play a dozen or so games a year that's going to provide such quality relief?
    I think you missed my point- I was talking about drafting/developing a replacement SS, not trading for one. There have been many good SS that have hit the bigs and we drafted Cito Culver?????? My point being that Cashman has really lagged in finding and developing talent

They have been good, but it's a SSS. I don't bash all his moves, but on paper this is still a bad team with very good pitching.
    Who cares. They needed them to hold down the fort till Granderson/Tex/ARod/Jeter got back and they've done the job as good, if not better than that quartet would have.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post

How do you determine that a team is not very good other than by its record? How do you determine that a team is "playing over its head", whatever that means? Isn't win-loss record the best test of how good a team is, at least it you bracket injuries? Or do you think the point is to rank up aggregate WAR or some other stat?

I understand a team exceeding expectations, being better than conventionally thought. But sometimes it is more fun to root for a team that shows it is better than the conventional expectations. This team may still fall flat, but so far, it has been a fun team for which to root, at least for me.

A team that wins the WS was "especially good" that year, regardless of how someone sitting at a computer analyzes the team's statistics. The point is to win. That is the best way to determine whether a team is good.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

I understand a team exceeding expectations, being better than conventionally thought. But sometimes it is more fun to root for a team that shows it is better than the conventional expectations. This team may still fall flat, but so far, it has been a fun team for which to root, at least for me.

A team that wins the WS was "especially good" that year, regardless of how someone sitting at a computer analyzes the team's statistics. The point is to win. That is the best way to determine whether a team is good.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

How do you determine that a team is not very good other than by its record? How do you determine that a team is "playing over its head", whatever that means? Isn't win-loss record the best test of how good a team is, at least it you bracket injuries? Or do you think the point is to rank up aggregate WAR or some other stat?

Nah. I can evaluate how good I think the players are versus how well they're performing. Last year's Orioles played over their heads.

And you will never convince me that the 1985 Royals or the 2006 Cardinals were really good teams.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Especially since Cashman has a great record w/ scrap heap pickups. Chacon, Small, Colon etc etc.
    I think that involves some selective memory. Some of the scrapheap pickups have worked out wonderfully, but for every one of those, there's a Buddy Carlyle or Randy Winn or Austin Kearns or Sir Sidney Ponson.

I'll give him credit for being willing to make lots and lots of those pickups, some of which work out very well.
    - Barry Manilow

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

This only proves, that he can't field a good baseball team without spending 100m+ on superstar players.
    um. no, it proves the exact opposite.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

NYYF Legend

Billy Beane thinks Cashman doesn't get the credit he deserves:
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/story/_/...-brian-cashman
    Billy Beane, the man who has possibly received more credit than any GM ever, looks across the country and doesn't think that his good buddy Brian Cashman receives enough of it.

Yes, the Yankees have a payroll that more than doubles Oakland's, but the money also strips Cashman of any excuses.

"There are a lot of teams that have a lot of money but they don't always win," Beane told ESPNNewYork.com. "Nobody, during my tenure, has won more than Cash."

"I think he sort of gets penalized many times, in a sense, because of the payroll people take for granted all the success he has accomplished," said Beane, who has watched his teams win just one playoff series. "It is not that easy. I always kid him. It is a shame that he hasn't been the executive of the year. Many times he probably deserves it."

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Cano and Gardner are bad?

Not to mention Youk and Pronk won't be vintage, but still be at least league average at their positions. I'm starting to believe the same about Wells, tambien.

Team currently constructed, is a team not unlike the Rays.
    Cano isn't bad and Gardner is at best a 4th OF.
    Ain't it EVIL to LIVE backwards

Cano isn't bad and Gardner is at best a 4th OF.
    Gardner is at best a 4th OF?

No point in continuing the debate, we have different definitions of good.

The only teams that will play Gardner as the 4th OF are the AL and NL All-Star teams.

Thread Information