+ Reply to Thread
Page 441 of 562 FirstFirst ... 341 391 431 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 451 491 541 ... LastLast
Results 11,001 to 11,025 of 14026
    NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    The Yankees have good RH relief depth in the minors, claiming retreads is completely unnecessary.

Montgomery, Kahnle, Pinder, & Claiborne (not much upside but he can probably do better than these claimed guys, and Eppley) should be big league ready at some point this year.
    Maybe they're just looking to replace those minor leaguers when they're called up to the big club.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by gold23 View Post
    This point is never discussed. It's a race to "so you think HR are bad?" No, of course they are not. They are the best outcome of any at bat. BUT.... the inability to score many runs without hitting a homerun kills them. Runs tend to come in bunches, which is awesome in an aggregate season but once you face pitchers who don't surrender HR at high rates you run into problems.

We all love HR. We'd just prefer a more balanced and not one-dimensional approach.
    those same pitchers you're alluding to also don't tend to give up a string of singles in an inning either. They had a potent offense with outstanding OBP and SLG. They struggled with RISP some but scored plenty in that scenario and without RISP. They disappeared entirely in October, and I think that was unexplainable honestly - certainly not because they were purely a HR-oriented offense.

So who made the decision to allow Juan Rivera to get a retention bonus of 100k on Tuesday only to release him on Thursday? Seems pretty irresponsible to me.

not your money brah
    always reasonable

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    So who made the decision to allow Juan Rivera to get a retention bonus of 100k on Tuesday only to release him on Thursday? Seems pretty irresponsible to me.
    What the heck is a retention bonus?
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

At the risk of being labeled a Cashman apologist (for the record I am as disgusted with the state of our weak upper farm system and washed up vets on our 25 man roster as anyone) but if Overbay didn't work out, and he had just signed Tuesday, Rivera likely would have made the team.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    They don't care as long as it does not effect the $189 million budget for 2014.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    What the heck is a retention bonus?
    2012-2016 BASIC AGREEMENT

ARTICLE XX—Reserve System

B. Free Agency

(5) Miscellaneous

(d) Retention Bonus.

i. If a Club signs a Player who became a free agent pursuant to this Section B to a Minor League Uniform Player Contract between the date the Player became a free agent as set forth in subsection B(2)(a) above and ten days prior to the commencement of the next succeeding championship season, the Club shall pay the Player a retention bonus of $100,000 if, by 12 P.M. Eastern Time on the fifth day prior to the first day of the championship season, (i) the Club does not agree in writing to add the Player to its Opening-Day 25-man roster or Major League Disabled List at the commencement of the championship season, or (ii) the Club does not provide the Player with his immediate unconditional release.

ii. If a Club agrees to add a Player to its Opening-Day 25-man roster or Major League Disabled List at the commencement of the championship season pursuant to subsection (d)(i) above, the Club must notify the LRD of its decision either to add the Player to its Opening-Day 25-man roster or Major League Disabled List no later than 12 P.M. Eastern Time on the fifth day prior to the first day of the championship season, and the LRD will inform the Players Association.

iii. The $100,000 retention bonus described in subsection (d)(i) above must be paid on or before April 15 of the next succeeding championship season. Such bonus shall not be subject to the non-duplication provision contained in Article IX(F) of this Agreement.

iv. If a Club elects to retain a Player under his Minor League Uniform Player Contract pursuant to subparagraph (i) above by paying the $100,000 retention bonus, the Player may require the Club to provide him with his unconditional release on June 1 if he had not been added to the Club’s 25-man roster or placed on the Major League Disabled List at any time prior to June 1. The Player must notify the Club in writing no later than 2 P.M. Eastern Time on May 28 that he is requesting his unconditional release by 2 P.M. Eastern Time on June 1 if the Club does not add him to its 25-man roster or Major League Disabled List by that time.

v. A Club and Player may agree to a special covenant to a Minor League Uniform Player Contract for a Player covered by this subsection (5)(d) that provides the Player with a retention bonus greater than $100,000, an earlier deadline for adding the Player to its Opening-Day 25-man roster or Major League Disabled List, an advanced payment schedule for the bonus, or an earlier date by which the Player may require the Club to provide him with his unconditional release. Nothing contained herein is intended to modify any other provision contained under this Agreement or the Major League Rules with respect to permissible special covenants in a Minor League Uniform Player Contract.

vi. This subsection (5)(d) shall apply to Players who became free agents pursuant to the provisions set forth in Section B(1) and (2) above, and shall not apply to Players who became free agents pursuant to any other provision of the Basic Agreement or a special covenant to a Major League Uniform Player’s Contract.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Just as a matter of perspective, I do remember when so many people on this site were getting on Cash for not going after Johan Santana....just saying.

Let April play out...
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Sweeny MurtiVerified account@YankeesWFAN

Yanks re-signed IF David Adams to a minor league deal. He had been released in a 40-man move earlier this week.
    First heard this from Kingofkings19 in another thread. Well played and glad he's back.

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    Just as a matter of perspective, I do remember when so many people on this site were getting on Cash for not going after Johan Santana....just saying.

Let April play out...
    They aren't comparable in the least. I'm not entirely on Cashman for this abomination of a roster (FO clearly has his balls in a vice), but passing on Johan was a smart decision because CC was clearly gonna hit the market the following season -- and the Yanks were the definite frontrunners. That's all changed now as teams are locking up their studs while the Yanks are busy losing Russell Martin to the Pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    That' s all changed now as teams are locking up their studs while the Yanks are busy losing Russell Martin to the Pirates.
    Lining up the posey and verlander signings against letting Russell Martin walk? Ok.

And, the Yankees are going to lock up theirs too.
    Team Northern Lights

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Lining up the posey and verlander signings against letting Russell Martin walk? Ok.
    Wasn't really lining up anything, merely stating that the game is different today as opposed to 2008 when the CC was a lock to be a Yankee the following offseason. The Martin thing doesn't bother me all that much either.

NYYF Legend

It's fine... David price will find his way to the Bronx
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    It's fine... David price will find his way to the Bronx
    Sure, they will sign him to a 10 year deal after his age 37 season.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    Sure, they will sign him to a 10 year deal after his age 37 season.
    At least A-Rod's contract will finally be done then... won't it?
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    At least A-Rod's contract will finally be done then... won't it?
    After 2014, they'll sign him to a 5-year extension.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Early returns seem to indicate what many suspected, Brian Cashman has built a very bad baseball team...

He seems deceptively thoughtful on TV, strange that such a middle-mannered man could rationalize the decisions regarding Martin, Ichiro, Wells, and Stewvelli.

Bad weather aside, having only a few hundred people in the stands for the last two innings of opening day may finally get through to him.
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.

"They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mark19 View Post
    Early returns seem to indicate what many suspected, Brian Cashman has built a very bad baseball team...

He seems deceptively thoughtful on TV, strange that such a middle-mannered man could rationalize the decisions regarding Martin, Ichiro, Wells, and Stewvelli.

Bad weather aside, having only a few hundred people in the stands for the last two innings of opening day may finally get through to him.
    Hopefully, it will finally get through to Hal.

It was the most depressing Opening Day I can remember. Which is the trend for me, as this season is the least I have been excited about baseball in years.

NYYF Legend

I don't want to make too much of one game but if games like this become more frequent this season the silver lining might be Hal finally realizing that the $189 million mandate is a bad idea as long as A-Rod and Teix are still on the books.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I don't want to make too much of one game but if games like this become more frequent this season the silver lining might be Hal finally realizing that the $189 million mandate is a bad idea as long as A-Rod and Teix are still on the books.
    I honestly believe that he cares, I just don't think he has the guts to actually provide decisive leadership. David Waldstein of the NYTimes had a good article a few days ago about the A-Rod opt-out debacle and how the sides ultimately came back together.

Financial managers with Goldman Sachs engineered that deal, and they have since increased their equity stake in the company. It seems very likely to me that Hal has a bunch of investment banking goons whispering all sorts of bad advice in his ear.

I'm sure they came up with all sorts of charts indicating that the millions of dollars in Japanese sponsorship signage in the stadium will more than make up for the 7-9 wins Ichiro's anemic bat likely to cost over the team next two seasons.
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.

"They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

NYYF Triple Crown

I know "its early" (Isn't that Girardi's line til about July every season?) but it probably will look the same for the next game when it's dark and below freezing, too...
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

NYYF Legend

I am not convinced that it will. I think that the bottom line to him is the dollar, not winning, and only if he loses money will he care.

It took years to build a farm system that isn't producing major league-ready players to date and a roster filled with players in decline, players with no future and a host of bad contracts. Even if Hal opened his wallet this off-season, it still wouldn't have been enough to save this team given the lack of quality FAs that were out there.

We probably would have been a better team had we signed Martin and Swisher, but the future of this team would probably be just as gloomy. The worst thing that could happen is if this Yankee team wins 85-90 games, giving Cashman the public excuse that the older players still have life in them and that we are only a player or two away from winning it all (i.e. Ibanez or some other 40 year old vet).

I don't think this is much of a concern, as I believe this team will probably struggle to stay above .500.

Thread Information