+ Reply to Thread
Page 438 of 492 FirstFirst ... 338 388 428 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 448 488 ... LastLast
Results 10,926 to 10,950 of 12279
    NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

And now, Cashman seems to have become a Seinfeld character...
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

This is a glimpse of what type of GM Cashman would be for the other 70% of teams out there with little to no resources, and/or unwilling to increase payroll. The Steinbrenners have opened up their wallets some and look at whom he's signed and traded for this off-season; whom he DFAd to give Wells a roster spot. Anyone can buy CC, Tex and AJ if their bosses are willing to fork out the money. Yes, even George Costanza.

I believe that the number of qualified GMs for the Yankee GM position has increased substantially after this showing by Ca$hmoney. His throw sh!t at the wall till something sticks only works with teams that have the resources and near unlimited payroll budgets. Does anyone honestly trust him to rebuild this aging, declining team of hasbeens?

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    This is a glimpse of what type of GM Cashman would be with the other 70% of teams out there with little to no resources, and/or unwilling to increase payroll. Anyone can buy CC, Tex and AJ if their bosses are willing to fork out the money. Yes, even George Costanza.

I believe that the number of qualified replacements out there for the Yankee GM position has increased substantially after this showing by Ca$hmoney.
    I'm not sure how effective a different GM would be given the same constraints:

-A bunch of money tied up in huge contracts.

-Little to spend.

-A bunch of guys getting hurt before the season begins.

-No new deals for more than one year (unless it doesn't work against the 'cap' in 2014).
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

It's been mentioned on another thread that Martin would have agreed to a one year deal in the $9-10 million range. If this is true then what was the logic in letting him go. A 1 year deal would not effect the $189 million budget for 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post

-Little to spend.

-No new deals for more than one year (unless it doesn't work against the 'cap' in 2014).
    Or simply put, a team with limited resources...much like the majority of teams out there. Injuries happen to most teams. Teams with depth don't suffer as much (in large part Cashman's fault). If this is the best Cashman can do, he's no better than most GMs out there, and probably worse than some.

the budget constraint is self imposed, which means it could have been foreseen. as in, you prepare the team properly before trying to decrease payroll, by having cheaper production ready to step in when called for.

that htey don't have this depth while trying to limit payroll is really a natural disaster of their own making
    always reasonable

Or simply put, a team with limited resources...much like the majority of teams out there. Injuries happen to most teams. Teams with depth don't suffer as much (in large part Cashman's fault). If this is the best Cashman can do, he's no better than most GMs out there, and probably worse than some.
    It's not simply a limited payroll.

It's having to replace guys who have either left or gotten hurt using only players that will take a one year deal due to Cashman's bosses deciding they need to shed about $20M in payroll after this year.

As far as 'injuries happen to most teams'-- have you been paying attention to the number of injuries the Yankees have had?

You don't like Cashman--we get it.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    the budget constraint is self imposed, which means it could have been foreseen. as in, you prepare the team properly before trying to decrease payroll, by having cheaper production ready to step in when called for.

that htey don't have this depth while trying to limit payroll is really a natural disaster of their own making
    Foreseen or not--you're still limited by who's available.

It's easy to say the Yankees should be three-deep on every position using homegrown guys that were drafted during the time they continually made the playoffs, but that's just not realistic.

They have always been an 'acquire free agents to fill spots' team. This year and next will be different due to their desire to get below $189M, then after that it's business as usual.

So suck it up for a couple of years, then we can all go back to b!tching about the high-priced guy they signed who isn't playing to his potential.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

It's a Cashman performance thread and there's been quite a bit of action on the Yankee front these past few days, some pretty controversial. I don't believe I come in here to take random pot shots at him. And, yes, I'm not enamored with him as GM of this team for reasons other than his good looks or personality. Should that prevent me from offering an opinion on his curious moves that sometimes make him seem inept?

Anyway, I've probably said enough about the signings of Ichiro, Youkilis, Hafner, Wells, Overbay and a bunch other over-the-hill players, the farm, player development (or lack therof), Adams' DFA, and trading away good, cost-controlled prospects. Make no mistake, he's no different than George Steinbrenner at his worst.

I'll end it by giving him a Grade F.

Foreseen or not--you're still limited by who's available.

It's easy to say the Yankees should be three-deep on every position using homegrown guys that were drafted during the time they continually made the playoffs, but that's just not realistic.

They have always been an 'acquire free agents to fill spots' team. This year and next will be different due to their desire to get below $189M, then after that it's business as usual.

So suck it up for a couple of years, then we can all go back to b!tching about the high-priced guy they signed who isn't playing to his potential.
    that's not the situation. they could have a much stronger position by investing in ifa players like other teams did when that window was still open. and this was very foreseeable and thus accountable
    always reasonable

As far as 'injuries happen to most teams'-- have you been paying attention to the number of injuries the Yankees have had?
    And have you been paying attention to the lack of depth we have in replacing these players? Whose fault is that? And how long can we use the "Hank signed ARod" card, as if that's the only factor for the mess this team has found itself in?

Tex, ARod, Granderson. Is it really that unusual for teams to lose 3 players for part of the season? As an aside, I wish all three get traded.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

-Little to spend.

Billy Beane has been pretty creative under similar constraints.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

This is a glimpse of what type of GM Cashman would be for the other 70% of teams out there with little to no resources, and/or unwilling to increase payroll. The Steinbrenners have opened up their wallets some and look at whom he's signed and traded for this off-season; whom he DFAd to give Wells a roster spot. Anyone can buy CC, Tex and AJ if their bosses are willing to fork out the money. Yes, even George Costanza.

I believe that the number of qualified GMs for the Yankee GM position has increased substantially after this showing by Ca$hmoney. His throw sh!t at the wall till something sticks only works with teams that have the resources and near unlimited payroll budgets. Does anyone honestly trust him to rebuild this aging, declining team of hasbeens?
    Based on the fact that his plan was to strengthen the farm and remain competitive w/o going through a full rebuild...no I don't.

That is the understatement of the year on this Board! Based on the number of his mostly redundant posts, his dislike for Cashman seems to be an obsession and the main thing in his life. At least Vanderlay and some of the other Cashman haters here are not constantly filling threads with weak jokes and repetitive criticisms. It really has gotten to be a significantly negative aspect of this forum, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    That is the understatement of the year on this Board! Based on the number of his mostly redundant posts, his dislike for Cashman seems to be an obsession and the main thing in his life. At least Vanderlay and some of the other Cashman haters here are not constantly filling threads with weak jokes and repetitive criticisms. It really has gotten to be a significantly negative aspect of this forum, in my opinion.
    It's not just this forum but many of the boards/blogs on the net. I think sections of the fan base are coming to the conclusion that Cashman has failed and the "negativity" just reflects how angry they are.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    And you're obsessed with constantly complaining about other posters and what kind of fans they should or shouldn't be. Let's not even mention your lack of knowledge regarding the team and the game in general - I don't know anyone who spews as much wrong information as you and states it as fact. And your latest obsession - your strange, incessant babble about LH batters (when you're not lecturing how fans should behave) is downright ridiculous, hilarious and off the wall...all at the same time. It's as if you're following a different team than the rest of us. You don't even know who's a LH or RH batter within the system, but that doesn't stop you from guessing and stating it as fact.

Do yourself a favor: spend less time bashing me and other fans and more time brushing up on your knowledge of the team and the game. It's a hell of a lot healthier and more gratifying. I promise.

Lastly, you come across as a grump, one that's filled with negativity, and an awfully repetitive one at that. Maybe you need a nap.

NYYF MVP

JMHO but I can't blame NYY for being conservative right now, at least until the ARod albatross is off the books.
    Also, they are probably weary of committing to more "attractive" big $$$ players, as you never know who will end up breaking down due to (previous or what-not) PED use. Hate to bring that sore spot up, but sadly it's a reality. Just one fan's *opinion.

As far as recent signings, still (personally ) feel like a fool for laughing at the Colon & Ibanez signings at the very beginnings. If not for examples such as those, I'd be cringing at Youk & Vernon Wells, too. Will just root for the "lightening in a bottle" from now on, as you just never know...
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

121st Street & a On The End Ave.

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    And fairly high draft picks.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Yeah, and they've finished last in their division in 7 of the last 10 seasons in what has up until recently been the weakest division in baseball.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Kingofkings19 View Post
    It's not just this forum but many of the boards/blogs on the net. I think sections of the fan base are coming to the conclusion that Cashman has failed and the "negativity" just reflects how angry they are.
    If this is the definition of a failing GM, then no GM should be employed.

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    If this is the definition of a failing GM, then no GM should be employed.
    Failing in the sense that his plan has not worked out as he believed it would.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingofkings19 View Post
    Failing in the sense that his plan has not worked out as he believed it would.
    How often do your plans work out?

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    It's been mentioned on another thread that Martin would have agreed to a one year deal in the $9-10 million range. If this is true then what was the logic in letting him go. A 1 year deal would not effect the $189 million budget for 2014.
    I'm in complete shock with the baseball world's love for Russell Martin. He was ONCE a quality offensive catcher. Hasn't been for quite some time. In fact, as a Yankee he's been a statue who very occasionally turns around a mistake on the inner half. He's a good (not great) defensive catcher who makes a lot of outs and has a little pop.

There are a lot of ways to knock the Yankee offseason, but I for one am thrilled Martin is not here anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by gold23 View Post
    I'm in complete shock with the baseball world's love for Russell Martin. He was ONCE a quality offensive catcher. Hasn't been for quite some time. In fact, as a Yankee he's been a statue who very occasionally turns around a mistake on the inner half. He's a good (not great) defensive catcher who makes a lot of outs and has a little pop.

There are a lot of ways to knock the Yankee offseason, but I for one am thrilled Martin is not here anymore.

Martin is probably one of the BEST defensive catchers in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by gold23 View Post

We're like bizarro Sox fans-- a player leaves and all of a sudden he's Roy Hobbs. Martin was the epitome of an all-or-nothing hitter. You know, the kind of hitter that everyone was complaining about last year and the thing that makes people want to trade Granderson.

But for some reason, each day he's gone his legend grows.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Thread Information