+ Reply to Thread
Page 428 of 562 FirstFirst ... 328 378 418 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 438 478 528 ... LastLast
Results 10,676 to 10,700 of 14026
    Devoted Member

Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    I read that Chavez wanted to play in Arizona to be closer to his family.
    Couldn't care less about Chavez leaving (they will do better) but letting Martin go is baffling.
    DFA ARod.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    "Damon's still available, folks"

Can he play 3rd base?
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    I don't mind the Cashman bashing on here, because everyone is entitled to their opinion, and no one knows how this stuff is going to play out. But the bolded part of your statement has no factual basis, and pretty much contradicts everything the owners have put forth. Their business strategy is to cut payroll and get rid of/decrease their luxury tax payments; I don't think that Russell Martin or Jeff Keppinger is going to convince them to give up the tens of millions of dollars they intend to save. As others have pointed out, it may not work and they may disillusion the fan base and reduce their revenue significantly, but roster management likely isn't going to be a compelling argument that's going to change their business plan.
    A multi billionaire trying to save $40 million dollars in luxary tax is like the millionaire who shops at walmart to save $40 bucks on groceries. Hal really doesn't give a flying fart about the product on the field as long as the cash cow keeps the money flowing. Surely, an organization that pulls in roughly $400 million in revenue annually can find a way to absorb $40 million dollars in luxary tax. And Cashman is just so utterly useless when he's not backed by Yankee money. Yankee free agents should have been dealt with prior to the winter meetings. The moment Pettitte and MO were signed, he should have been on the phone with the agents of Martin and Chavez. The fool takes everything for granted and just assumes players are going to wait around for his phone calls. If Cashman needs clearance from management or truly doesn't have the money to spend, then what the hell is he doing at the winter meetings in the first place? Get the hell out of there and quite waisting people's time. I can't wait to see the retreads sporting Yankee uniforms this spring... not really!!

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    I agree 100% with this post. Cashman wants to be a moneyball GM. Would not be surprised if he was a leading voice in the organization to get under 189.
    I know you are joking, but only erasing A-Rod and Teixiera would make that worth it for Cashman. People that think this years team will say anything about Cashman's ability to operate a small market team are lost.

Devoted Member

Per RAB

8:00am: Agents who have spoken to the Yankees get the impression that a clamp has been placed on the team’s spending. Brian Cashman is supposedly frustrated by his inability to act and is working with ownership to see what he can spend. This is ridiculous. [Joel Sherman]

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Bleacher_Creature View Post
    Per RAB

8:00am: Agents who have spoken to the Yankees get the impression that a clamp has been placed on the teamís spending. Brian Cashman is supposedly frustrated by his inability to act and is working with ownership to see what he can spend. This is ridiculous. [Joel Sherman]
    So it would appear that Cashman's days of having full GM control of the team are behind him now.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    So it would appear that Cashman's days of having full GM control of the team are behind him now.
    There's this whole $189M thing-- maybe you've heard about it?
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    He has to get HAL's permission to offer anything, which means he is not being allowed to get to 189 as he sees fit.

if Cashman was the who offered Youkilis 12m then make room for me on the Cashman Hate bandwagon...
    "A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."

I love baseball in general and the Yankees just happen to be my favorite team since I knew what baseball was.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerkface View Post
    He has to get HAL's permission to offer anything, which means he is not being allowed to get to 189 as he sees fit.
    That's not necessarily true at all. You're making several assumptions.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    A multi billionaire trying to save $40 million dollars in luxary tax is like the millionaire who shops at walmart to save $40 bucks on groceries. Hal really doesn't give a flying fart about the product on the field as long as the cash cow keeps the money flowing. Surely, an organization that pulls in roughly $400 million in revenue annually can find a way to absorb $40 million dollars in luxary tax. And Cashman is just so utterly useless when he's not backed by Yankee money. Yankee free agents should have been dealt with prior to the winter meetings. The moment Pettitte and MO were signed, he should have been on the phone with the agents of Martin and Chavez. The fool takes everything for granted and just assumes players are going to wait around for his phone calls. If Cashman needs clearance from management or truly doesn't have the money to spend, then what the hell is he doing at the winter meetings in the first place? Get the hell out of there and quite waisting people's time. I can't wait to see the retreads sporting Yankee uniforms this spring... not really!!
    If Steinbrenner didn't care aobu the product on the field, why would he have spent $35 million over the past two weeks to keep the pitching staff together? And re-signed CC last year? and offered more than anybody for Youkilis?

Disagree with some of their decisions, I get it, but to say he's not investing in the team is ludicrious.

It's like if they went out and overpaid Hamiltion for 8 years or something then everybody would feel good about it...as he likely recedes into the Arod and Tex category.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    If Steinbrenner didn't care aobu the product on the field, why would he have spent $35 million over the past two weeks to keep the pitching staff together? And re-signed CC last year? and offered more than anybody for Youkilis?

Disagree with some of their decisions, I get it, but to say he's not investing in the team is ludicrious.

It's like if they went out and overpaid Hamiltion for 8 years or something then everybody would feel good about it...as he likely recedes into the Arod and Tex category.
    He basically recycled Soriano's money between the two starters.
    [SIZE=3]"Scooter - RIP and thank you for being part of my childhood"[/SIZE]

NYYF Triple Crown

And multiple sources are adding that Cash has not had the authority to make them offers...perhaps you've heard about that?

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    And multiple sources are adding that Cash has not had the authority to make them offers...perhaps you've heard about that?
    This is what I read:
    "Agents who have spoken to the Yankees get the impression that a clamp has been placed on the teamís spending."
    'Agents... get the impression' =/= solid information.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Wait-- http://riveraveblues.com/2012/12/bar.../?preview=true

Via Dan Barbarisi: Team officials confirmed Brian Cashman came to the Winter Meetings this week without the authorization to make offers to free agents. The GM had to go to ownership and plead his case for the Kevin Youkilis offer and I assume the Nate Schierholtz offer as well.
    This is way more substantial than just agents assuming so. It definitely is a different scene than it has been in the past.

You're right and I was wrong. My bad.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by BeantownYankee View Post
    He basically recycled Soriano's money between the two starters.
    No he didn't. Soriano made $11mm last year.

Pettite was given a $12mm for next year, a $10mm raise over last year, and Kuroda gets $15mm, a $5mm raise over last year.

Pettite was given a $12mm for next year, a $10mm raise over last year, and Kuroda gets $15mm, a $5mm raise over last year.
    +1.5 million buyout. Pretty close. Feliciano's money came off the books too.

Imo, Hal's name would be mud if he prevented Mo or Pettite from resigning. But Kuroda most likely wouldn't be here if Soriano opted in.

And to my point above, It doesn't really have anything to do with $189. Hal's preventing Cashman from signing a bunch of one year contracts, and why? It doesn't affect the bottom line. Looks like there's more than meets the eye.
    Last edited by Benefactor; 12-07-12 at 05:52 AM.

NYYF Triple Crown

Wait-- http://riveraveblues.com/2012/12/bar.../?preview=true

This is way more substantial than just agents assuming so. It definitely is a different scene than it has been in the past.

You're right and I was wrong. My bad.
    No problem. Seems to be a fairly common theme in a number of articles I've come across.

Ownership now leaving Cash out in exploring Hamilton. Should Yanks GM quit if he's signed?

http://www.examiner.com/article/if-t...-as-yankees-gm

Quote Originally Posted by dpfeiffer View Post
    Ownership now leaving Cash out in exploring Hamilton. Should Yanks GM quit if he's signed?

http://www.examiner.com/article/if-t...-as-yankees-gm
    I don't get all the talk about how Hamilton would have any more difficulty handling NY than any other city. Do they not have bars that sell booze in Seattle or Dallas.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    I don't get all the talk about how Hamilton would have any more difficulty handling NY than any other city. Do they not have bars that sell booze in Seattle or Dallas.
    They do, there's no question, but there's also nowhere like NYC. The environment itself is much more of a party atmosphere, and the pressure of playing for the New York Yankees, as compared to let's say the Seattle Mariners, is entirely different and could also help push him towards a relapse. Of course, it's all speculative, but it's not a chance I would want to take.

Quote Originally Posted by dpfeiffer View Post
    They do, there's no question, but there's also nowhere like NYC. The environment itself is much more of a party atmosphere, and the pressure of playing for the New York Yankees, as compared to let's say the Seattle Mariners, is entirely different and could also help push him towards a relapse. Of course, it's all speculative, but it's not a chance I would want to take.
    I never think of NYC as a party town like New Orleans, Las Vegas, or Miami Beach. It may have the most bars, but someone on a bender only needs one place to drink. Sure the pressure is different in New York, but Hamilton went on both of his benders in the offseason.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

I think the off-field concerns about Hamilton playing in NY are overstated.

Not that I believe the Yankees will actually try and sign him, but no team is better equipped to handle players with addictions than the Yankees. Heck, this organization gave multiple addicts a second chance when they were down and out and no one else wanted them.

Sure, NY has plenty of bars, but Seattle has rain for 300 days a year. Which scenario is more likely to trigger a depression and relapse?
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    I think the off-field concerns about Hamilton playing in NY are overstated.

Not that I believe the Yankees will actually try and sign him, but no team is better equipped to handle players with addictions than the Yankees. Heck, this organization gave multiple addicts a second chance when they were down and out and no one else wanted them.

Sure, NY has plenty of bars, but Seattle has rain for 300 days a year. Which scenario is more likely to trigger a depression and relapse?
    Heck, we had Steve Howe and his, what, 827 drug suspensions?
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Thread Information