+ Reply to Thread
Page 428 of 562 FirstFirst ... 328 378 418 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 438 478 528 ... LastLast
Results 10,676 to 10,700 of 14026
  1. #10676
    Devoted Member
    Gigi Buffon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    I read that Chavez wanted to play in Arizona to be closer to his family.
    Couldn't care less about Chavez leaving (they will do better) but letting Martin go is baffling.
    DFA ARod.

  2. #10677
    2009 WORLD CHAMPIONS aeromac76's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Huntington, NY

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    "Damon's still available, folks"

    Can he play 3rd base?
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

  3. #10678

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    I don't mind the Cashman bashing on here, because everyone is entitled to their opinion, and no one knows how this stuff is going to play out. But the bolded part of your statement has no factual basis, and pretty much contradicts everything the owners have put forth. Their business strategy is to cut payroll and get rid of/decrease their luxury tax payments; I don't think that Russell Martin or Jeff Keppinger is going to convince them to give up the tens of millions of dollars they intend to save. As others have pointed out, it may not work and they may disillusion the fan base and reduce their revenue significantly, but roster management likely isn't going to be a compelling argument that's going to change their business plan.
    A multi billionaire trying to save $40 million dollars in luxary tax is like the millionaire who shops at walmart to save $40 bucks on groceries. Hal really doesn't give a flying fart about the product on the field as long as the cash cow keeps the money flowing. Surely, an organization that pulls in roughly $400 million in revenue annually can find a way to absorb $40 million dollars in luxary tax. And Cashman is just so utterly useless when he's not backed by Yankee money. Yankee free agents should have been dealt with prior to the winter meetings. The moment Pettitte and MO were signed, he should have been on the phone with the agents of Martin and Chavez. The fool takes everything for granted and just assumes players are going to wait around for his phone calls. If Cashman needs clearance from management or truly doesn't have the money to spend, then what the hell is he doing at the winter meetings in the first place? Get the hell out of there and quite waisting people's time. I can't wait to see the retreads sporting Yankee uniforms this spring... not really!!

  4. #10679

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    I agree 100% with this post. Cashman wants to be a moneyball GM. Would not be surprised if he was a leading voice in the organization to get under 189.
    I know you are joking, but only erasing A-Rod and Teixiera would make that worth it for Cashman. People that think this years team will say anything about Cashman's ability to operate a small market team are lost.

  5. #10680
    Devoted Member
    Bleacher_Creature's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bronx, NY

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Per RAB

    8:00am: Agents who have spoken to the Yankees get the impression that a clamp has been placed on the team’s spending. Brian Cashman is supposedly frustrated by his inability to act and is working with ownership to see what he can spend. This is ridiculous. [Joel Sherman]

  6. #10681
    NYYF Triple Crown

    apalradio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Bleacher_Creature View Post
    Per RAB

    8:00am: Agents who have spoken to the Yankees get the impression that a clamp has been placed on the teamís spending. Brian Cashman is supposedly frustrated by his inability to act and is working with ownership to see what he can spend. This is ridiculous. [Joel Sherman]
    So it would appear that Cashman's days of having full GM control of the team are behind him now.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

  7. #10682

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    So it would appear that Cashman's days of having full GM control of the team are behind him now.
    There's this whole $189M thing-- maybe you've heard about it?
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  8. #10683

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    There's this whole $189M thing-- maybe you've heard about it?
    He has to get HAL's permission to offer anything, which means he is not being allowed to get to 189 as he sees fit.

  9. #10684

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    if Cashman was the who offered Youkilis 12m then make room for me on the Cashman Hate bandwagon...
    "A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."

    I love baseball in general and the Yankees just happen to be my favorite team since I knew what baseball was.

  10. #10685

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerkface View Post
    He has to get HAL's permission to offer anything, which means he is not being allowed to get to 189 as he sees fit.
    That's not necessarily true at all. You're making several assumptions.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  11. #10686

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    A multi billionaire trying to save $40 million dollars in luxary tax is like the millionaire who shops at walmart to save $40 bucks on groceries. Hal really doesn't give a flying fart about the product on the field as long as the cash cow keeps the money flowing. Surely, an organization that pulls in roughly $400 million in revenue annually can find a way to absorb $40 million dollars in luxary tax. And Cashman is just so utterly useless when he's not backed by Yankee money. Yankee free agents should have been dealt with prior to the winter meetings. The moment Pettitte and MO were signed, he should have been on the phone with the agents of Martin and Chavez. The fool takes everything for granted and just assumes players are going to wait around for his phone calls. If Cashman needs clearance from management or truly doesn't have the money to spend, then what the hell is he doing at the winter meetings in the first place? Get the hell out of there and quite waisting people's time. I can't wait to see the retreads sporting Yankee uniforms this spring... not really!!
    If Steinbrenner didn't care aobu the product on the field, why would he have spent $35 million over the past two weeks to keep the pitching staff together? And re-signed CC last year? and offered more than anybody for Youkilis?

    Disagree with some of their decisions, I get it, but to say he's not investing in the team is ludicrious.

    It's like if they went out and overpaid Hamiltion for 8 years or something then everybody would feel good about it...as he likely recedes into the Arod and Tex category.

  12. #10687
    NYYF Cy Young

    BeantownYankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sterling, Ma

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    If Steinbrenner didn't care aobu the product on the field, why would he have spent $35 million over the past two weeks to keep the pitching staff together? And re-signed CC last year? and offered more than anybody for Youkilis?

    Disagree with some of their decisions, I get it, but to say he's not investing in the team is ludicrious.

    It's like if they went out and overpaid Hamiltion for 8 years or something then everybody would feel good about it...as he likely recedes into the Arod and Tex category.
    He basically recycled Soriano's money between the two starters.
    [SIZE=3]"Scooter - RIP and thank you for being part of my childhood"[/SIZE]

  13. #10688
    NYYF Triple Crown

    apalradio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    There's this whole $189M thing-- maybe you've heard about it?
    And multiple sources are adding that Cash has not had the authority to make them offers...perhaps you've heard about that?
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

  14. #10689

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    And multiple sources are adding that Cash has not had the authority to make them offers...perhaps you've heard about that?
    This is what I read:
    "Agents who have spoken to the Yankees get the impression that a clamp has been placed on the teamís spending."
    'Agents... get the impression' =/= solid information.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  15. #10690

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Wait-- http://riveraveblues.com/2012/12/bar.../?preview=true

    Via Dan Barbarisi: Team officials confirmed Brian Cashman came to the Winter Meetings this week without the authorization to make offers to free agents. The GM had to go to ownership and plead his case for the Kevin Youkilis offer and I assume the Nate Schierholtz offer as well.
    This is way more substantial than just agents assuming so. It definitely is a different scene than it has been in the past.

    You're right and I was wrong. My bad.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  16. #10691

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by BeantownYankee View Post
    He basically recycled Soriano's money between the two starters.
    No he didn't. Soriano made $11mm last year.

    Pettite was given a $12mm for next year, a $10mm raise over last year, and Kuroda gets $15mm, a $5mm raise over last year.

  17. #10692

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    No he didn't. Soriano made $11mm last year.

    Pettite was given a $12mm for next year, a $10mm raise over last year, and Kuroda gets $15mm, a $5mm raise over last year.
    +1.5 million buyout. Pretty close. Feliciano's money came off the books too.

  18. #10693

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    No he didn't. Soriano made $11mm last year.

    Pettite was given a $12mm for next year, a $10mm raise over last year, and Kuroda gets $15mm, a $5mm raise over last year.
    Imo, Hal's name would be mud if he prevented Mo or Pettite from resigning. But Kuroda most likely wouldn't be here if Soriano opted in.

    And to my point above, It doesn't really have anything to do with $189. Hal's preventing Cashman from signing a bunch of one year contracts, and why? It doesn't affect the bottom line. Looks like there's more than meets the eye.
    Last edited by Benefactor; 12-07-12 at 05:52 AM.

  19. #10694
    NYYF Triple Crown

    apalradio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Wait-- http://riveraveblues.com/2012/12/bar.../?preview=true



    This is way more substantial than just agents assuming so. It definitely is a different scene than it has been in the past.

    You're right and I was wrong. My bad.
    No problem. Seems to be a fairly common theme in a number of articles I've come across.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

  20. #10695
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Ownership now leaving Cash out in exploring Hamilton. Should Yanks GM quit if he's signed?

    http://www.examiner.com/article/if-t...-as-yankees-gm

  21. #10696

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by dpfeiffer View Post
    Ownership now leaving Cash out in exploring Hamilton. Should Yanks GM quit if he's signed?

    http://www.examiner.com/article/if-t...-as-yankees-gm
    I don't get all the talk about how Hamilton would have any more difficulty handling NY than any other city. Do they not have bars that sell booze in Seattle or Dallas.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd



  22. #10697
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    I don't get all the talk about how Hamilton would have any more difficulty handling NY than any other city. Do they not have bars that sell booze in Seattle or Dallas.
    They do, there's no question, but there's also nowhere like NYC. The environment itself is much more of a party atmosphere, and the pressure of playing for the New York Yankees, as compared to let's say the Seattle Mariners, is entirely different and could also help push him towards a relapse. Of course, it's all speculative, but it's not a chance I would want to take.

  23. #10698

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by dpfeiffer View Post
    They do, there's no question, but there's also nowhere like NYC. The environment itself is much more of a party atmosphere, and the pressure of playing for the New York Yankees, as compared to let's say the Seattle Mariners, is entirely different and could also help push him towards a relapse. Of course, it's all speculative, but it's not a chance I would want to take.
    I never think of NYC as a party town like New Orleans, Las Vegas, or Miami Beach. It may have the most bars, but someone on a bender only needs one place to drink. Sure the pressure is different in New York, but Hamilton went on both of his benders in the offseason.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd



  24. #10699
    The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hampton Beach, NH

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    I think the off-field concerns about Hamilton playing in NY are overstated.

    Not that I believe the Yankees will actually try and sign him, but no team is better equipped to handle players with addictions than the Yankees. Heck, this organization gave multiple addicts a second chance when they were down and out and no one else wanted them.

    Sure, NY has plenty of bars, but Seattle has rain for 300 days a year. Which scenario is more likely to trigger a depression and relapse?
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

  25. #10700
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    I think the off-field concerns about Hamilton playing in NY are overstated.

    Not that I believe the Yankees will actually try and sign him, but no team is better equipped to handle players with addictions than the Yankees. Heck, this organization gave multiple addicts a second chance when they were down and out and no one else wanted them.

    Sure, NY has plenty of bars, but Seattle has rain for 300 days a year. Which scenario is more likely to trigger a depression and relapse?
    Heck, we had Steve Howe and his, what, 827 drug suspensions?
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts