+ Reply to Thread
Page 426 of 576 FirstFirst ... 326 376 416 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 436 476 526 ... LastLast
Results 10,626 to 10,650 of 14387

Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Finnigan View Post
    You are completely taking what I said out of context. Simply stated, someone said that the blueprint for the future was out of reach for us normal fans. I said, not so. And while my view of the Yankee farm system might not be the same as yours or his, it is mine and I can use it to analyze the content of the blueprint. Lastly, the comment made by another poster is arrogant and as far as I am concerned immature. I do not get that vibe from you, so my respect for you is there even if we disagree. Have a nice evening.
    That's fine. I just think that using Aune as one of two examples provided to support your argument that Cashman is lost at sea without a map is soft. And then following it up with the hyperbole about Aune becoming an all-time great was even softer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Finnigan View Post
    He didn't even make BA's top 20 Gulf Coast League prospect list - Does that sound like the guy who is going to be the next Yankee Captain? Very interesting indeed.
    Banuelos didn't either. Injury aside, he's a stud pitching prospect. Also Verlander didn't make their Top 100 after being drafted. I wouldn't put too much stock in Baseball America's rankings.

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Hindsight is always 20/20, and IFA are always a gamble, but considering the financial advantage the Yankees held over most teams in this regards, I'll never understand why they weren't more aggressive in signing Aroldis Chapman.

If there was ever a "can't miss" IFA, he was it.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    Hindsight is always 20/20, and IFA are always a gamble, but considering the financial advantage the Yankees held over most teams in this regards, I'll never understand why they weren't more aggressive in signing Aroldis Chapman.

If there was ever a "can't miss" IFA, he was it.
    cant miss? you mean as a reliever? he had major question marks as a starter

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    This.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

What were the major question marks you're referring to? The reports of a 100 MPH fastball and devastating slider with good mechanics were always there.

To the best of my recollection, the only questions were regarding his ability to adapt off the field after defecting from Cuba.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    What were the major question marks you're referring to? The reports of a 100 MPH fastball and devastating slider with good mechanics were always there.

To the best of my recollection, the only questions were regarding his ability to adapt off the field after defecting from Cuba.
    no third pitch, control issues, then he went to have an unimpressive stint as a AA starter. i have no idea how you are assuming that he is a "cant miss" MLB starter

no third pitch, control issues, then he went to have an unimpressive stint as a AA starter. i have no idea how you are assuming that he is a "cant miss" MLB starter
    I've been listening to XM Radio and those guys like Jim Bowden think Chapman would have physical problems being a starting pitcher.
    Poor ownership can hold a baseball team down for years!

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

For all the money we throw at LOOGYs, investing in Chapman's floor would have still been a good idea.

Hey Cash, that team way up north just got a helluva lot better, Im not saying making panic moves but you hopefully know that keeping the same team around, hoping they stay healthy, and watching the O's predictable regression will not be enough.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

i wouldn't dump on chapman's starter potential. as a prospect he was generally ranked 2 or 3 behind strasburg, and that was on his starter potential.
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    For all the money we throw at LOOGYs, investing in Chapman's floor would have still been a good idea.

Hey Cash, that team way up north just got a helluva lot better, Im not saying making panic moves but you hopefully know that keeping the same team around, hoping they stay healthy, and watching the O's predictable regression will not be enough.
    Maybe, but those two pitchers are suspect to me as they're a shadow of what they used to be.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Maybe, but those two pitchers are suspect to me as they're a shadow of what they used to be.
    buehrle had a solid (not great) year, putting up an ERA+ pretty much in line with his career with some of his strongest K and BB rates ever... i wouldn't exactly call his career over

johnson's only problem is health, and he actually put up almost 200IP last season... he's also only 28, so saying he's just a shade of himself may be a bit presumptuous
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    buehrle had a solid (not great) year, putting up an ERA+ pretty much in line with his career with some of his strongest K and BB rates ever... i wouldn't exactly call his career over

johnson's only problem is health, and he actually put up almost 200IP last season... he's also only 28, so saying he's just a shade of himself may be a bit presumptuous
    However, they're not the pitchers we fear 3-4 years ago which is my point. Sure, they can give us some problems, but they're not in the same class of pitchers that they were in prior years. Did Toronto get better? Yes, but by how much won't be known until next season as offseason paper champions get expose each and every year in MLB.

Buehrle had a better 2012 than Johnson, who was as healthy as hes going to be. i think that says a lot about Johnson going forward

NYYF Legend

Buehrle had a better 2012 than Johnson, who was as healthy as hes going to be. i think that says a lot about Johnson going forward
    How does anyone know this? Is it not possible for Johnson to use his first offseason since injury to rebuild proper strength, etc? (Meaning he is "healthy" going into this offseason)

Let's say Pineda comes back...July 1....and pitches half a season and is league average. Is that it? He will be as healthy as he is going to be?

J Johnson MAY be as good as he will get, OR he could return to form. It remains to be seen. I tend to think you may be right, but it is highly subjective.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

No doubt. But they are easily better than what Toronto was using last year in their rotation, and you saw what trouble they were giving us and Baltimore at the end of the season when their lineup was as healthy as it could be without Bautista and a suspect bullpen.

That being said, I don't think Buehrle will be as good in the AL East and Johnson's health is always suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    How does anyone know this? Is it not possible for Johnson to use his first offseason since injury to rebuild proper strength, etc? (Meaning he is "healthy" going into this offseason)

Let's say Pineda comes back...July 1....and pitches half a season and is league average. Is that it? He will be as healthy as he is going to be?

J Johnson MAY be as good as he will get, OR he could return to form. It remains to be seen. I tend to think you may be right, but it is highly subjective.
    Johnson pitched a full season (healthy) and still has a 3 year drop in velocity and K/BB ratio after his injuries. you rarely come back from that. if that happens to Pineda three years from now, same story

NYYF Legend

However, they're not the pitchers we fear 3-4 years ago which is my point. Sure, they can give us some problems, but they're not in the same class of pitchers that they were in prior years. Did Toronto get better? Yes, but by how much won't be known until next season as offseason paper champions get expose each and every year in MLB.
    Agreed. I'm not worried about Toronto.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

I smell a trade coming.

NYYF Legend

Johnson pitched a full season (healthy) and still has a 3 year drop in velocity and K/BB ratio after his injuries. you rarely come back from that. if that happens to Pineda three years from now, same story
    He rocked up to 2010, and was killing it in 2011 until he was injured. I would take a flyer on him, don't know where you are getting the 3 year drop in anything...(2010 was a phenomenal season) Counting 2011 as any relevant sample size would be silly. I am interested in what he might be able to do this year, he could be cooked, but again..
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post

Expecting Pineda to ever again be league average is quite a stretch given the history of other pitchers with similar injuries.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Agreed. I'm not worried about Toronto.
    Their lineup is tough.

They have speed and power man not looking forward to facing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    Expecting Pineda to ever again be league average is quite a stretch given the history of other pitchers with similar injuries.
    [citation needed]
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Cashman is getting tooled pretty hard at the Winter Meetings. What a n00b.
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.

"They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

NYYF Legend

i just imagine him in his hotel room, bent over on his bed, holding his buttcheeks open while the other GMs take turns plowing him from behind
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Thread Information