+ Reply to Thread
Page 424 of 523 FirstFirst ... 324 374 414 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 434 474 ... LastLast
Results 10,576 to 10,600 of 13061
    The Sausage King of Chicago Abe Frohman's Avatar

Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    Yep, wears his batting glove in his right pocket when he's on base........ definite bottom
    DD free ... 420 friendly.
    ? Can switching to Geico really save you 15 % or more on car insurance ? ? Does the postman always ring twice ?

Keep the changes coming Cash.

Gil Patterson back with the Yankee organization.

Gil Patterson, the A's minor-league pitching coordinator, has joined the Yankees to take the same job, according to a source. Patterson, a first-round draft pick of the Yankees in 1975, interviewed for the pitching coach job that went to Larry Rothschild two offseasons ago.
    http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...kees-1.4173757
    Please fire Cashman, so some Yankee fans can have hope again.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Keep the changes coming Cash.

Gil Patterson back with the Yankee organization.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...kees-1.4173757
    I have a feeling this will be one of those moves that will be forgotten quickly, but will pay dividends in the near future.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

They also removed Nardi Contreras from his position- finally acknowledging that the long period w/o developing any pitching is unacceptable
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    They also removed Nardi Contreras from his position- finally acknowledging that the long period w/o developing any pitching is unacceptable
    Gil Patterson is the minor league pitching coordinator now as indicated in my linked post above, but evidently, Contreras is still with the organization. Other changes are coming too. Let's not forget that Billy Connors was let go in October.

Gil Patterson is the minor league pitching coordinator now as indicated in my linked post above, but evidently, Contreras is still with the organization. Other changes are coming too. Let's not forget that Billy Connors was let go in October.

The results under Connors/Contreras were unacceptable so I support the change. I hope Patterson was chosen because he was the best available candidate and not because of his ties to the organization. Given Cashman's track record of hiring I am very skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    The results under Connors/Contreras were unacceptable so I support the change. I hope Patterson was chosen because he was the best available candidate and not because of his ties to the organization. Given Cashman's track record of hiring I am very skeptical.
    Cashman hired your boy Girardi. Also, you do realize the amount of pitchers that the A's organization has developed since 2008 under Patterson's watch?

Cashman hired your boy Girardi. Also, you do realize the amount of pitchers that the A's organization has developed since 2008 under Patterson's watch?
    Like I said, I hope Patterson was hired because he's the best available person for the job. Time will tell.

Like I said, I hope Patterson was hired because he's the best available person for the job. Time will tell.
    Like I said, he hired Girardi didn't he?

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

This is what was a good sign to me. Obviously, we have no idea what Patterson's contributions were, but it certainly seems to be a positive indicator
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

good additioni
    always reasonable

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Patterson provides a huge upgrade over the Connors/Contreras regime so long as he's allowed to enforce his own program.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Like I said, he hired Girardi didn't he?
    I believe that was a solid hire and I have said so many times. However, the issue at hand is the player development organization. I wish I could state that in the 6 or 7 years Cashman has had total control he built a world class player development organization and has hired top flight talent evaluaters that other teams covet. Unfortunately I can't say any of those things as the results have been disappointing at best, especially given the Yankees resources. So now it appears that Cashman is going to start over with a new team. As a fan I hope he gets it right this time, especially since I don't think he's going anywhere regardless of how he performs. But I would be lying if I told you I'm confident.
    Last edited by Art Vanderlay; 11-02-12 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    good additioni
    si, molto buono
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Perhaps Nardi is nothing more than a convenient scapegoat. How can he be given credit for producing a nice crop of middle relievers and yet be hung out to dry for the inability to produce starters? Oh yea, that's right the Amateur Draft and IL signings. And whose job is that? Cashman, Oppenheimer and the scouting minions, that's who. Those are the people responsible for the current state of affairs. Very frustrating to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Finnigan View Post
    Perhaps Nardi is nothing more than a convenient scapegoat. How can he be given credit for producing a nice crop of middle relievers and yet be hung out to dry for the inability to produce starters? Oh yea, that's right the Amateur Draft and IL signings. And whose job is that? Cashman, Oppenheimer and the scouting minions, that's who. Those are the people responsible for the current state of affairs. Very frustrating to watch.
    As I stated in my previous post, Cashman has had total control of player development for 6 or 7 years and the results have been disappointing. He's bringing in a new team which is in itslef validation that he's been relying on the wrong people. Lets hope he gets it right because I believe he is not going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    Patterson provides a huge upgrade over the Connors/Contreras regime so long as he's allowed to enforce his own program.
    From what I'm hearing it's not Patterson versus Connors/Contreras, but Patterson/Contreras versus Connors/Contreras. Nardi is still with the organization, he's just not the minor league pitching coordinator.

I believe that was a solid hire and I have said so many times. However, the issue at hand is the player development organization. I wish I could state that in the 6 or 7 years Cashman has had total control he built a world class player development organization and has hired top flight talent evaluaters that other teams covet. Unfortunately I can't say any of those things as the results have been disappointing at best, especially given the Yankees resources. So now it appears that Cashman is going to start over with a new team. As a fan I hope he gets it right this time, especially since I don't think he's going anywhere regardless of how he performs. But I would be lying if I told you I'm confident.
    Which is my point because so many of us don't believe it's a solid hire.

As far as Cashman, as I stated all season long, my patience with his total control of baseball operations has run out after seven years of control. Either he needed to go or changes need to take place within his operational staff. Evidently, the latter is happening, maybe not to level I would like, but at least they're doing something about the pitching development. Also, I heard they're bringing in a second hitting instructor for the minors along with some more staff changes.

And on that last note, we end the thread. Goodnight, folks! Drive safely.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Did Cashman get fired?
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Nah...just me being facetious.

Wouldn't want to see him get fired. Instead, I'd like to see how these minor league and player development changes pan out and how he performs under the $189M constraints that might be put upon him. Being a GM for the Yankees isn't for everyone and Cashman has shown he's up to the task, even if his player evaluating skills are sometimes questionable.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Nah...just me being facetious.

Wouldn't want to see him get fired. Instead, I'd like to see how these minor league and player development changes pan out and how he performs under the $189M constraints that might be put upon him. Being a GM for the Yankees isn't for everyone and Cashman has shown he's up to the task, even if his player evaluating skills are sometimes questionable.
    You're being very kind.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

NYYF MVP

It baffles me when people ignore that the GM position with the Yankees exists within a unique bureaucracy. While Cashman has made moves to make it more liike a traditional front office and is more in control than ever before the Yankees are still transitioning from a time when the owner was the true GM. Ownership is still very involved and the structure of the organization is still changing.

Obviously Cashman bears responsibility for the talent evaluation done in the front office, but framing it as simply being an issue of his evaluations makes it seem like replacing him with someone thought to be great at talent evaluation would upgrade the team. It completely ignores all the constraints and pressures within the organization that any new GM would have to contend with.

Cashman isn't some baseball guru. He tends to fall on the rational side of things, which is nice, but he isn't going to surprise us with innovative ways of structuring a team. The hallmark of his tenure has been competence on the baseball side of things and excellence at creating stability in an organization that few thought could be made stable.

Regardless I see no evidence that the Yankees are remarkably bad at talent evaluation recently even with all the changes.

It baffles me how people keep saying "with our resources."

What resources? There are rules governing IFA and domestic draft now that make it hard to flex financial muscle.

MLB has spent the past 2 decades changing rules to level the playing ground. It has been very successful. The Yankees just doesn't have that much of a financial advantage over other teams.

There are things I want the Yankees to spend money on.

1. Better technology and investment in training. Scott Boras is actually a pioneer in the area. His athletes always ends up in the best training centers. Oakland A's is using http://spartascience.com/sparta/ for its players.

2. Be a pioneer and hire team doctors that travel with the team. This is the norm for even second/third tier soccer teams in Europe. Not the case with MLB teams for god knows why.

3. Beef up international scouting, namely in Japan. The posting system going forward is the last place for Yankees to flex financial muscle.

4. More statisticians please. Moneyball works. We need to do more of it.

These are things even the poorest teams can do. I am hoping we'll be early adopters. 1 and 2 have irked me for years. For whatever reason, American professional sports have trailed European soccer teams in medical and training practices.

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    It baffles me how people keep saying "with our resources."

What resources? There are rules governing IFA and domestic draft now that make it hard to flex financial muscle.

MLB has spent the past 2 decades changing rules to level the playing ground. It has been very successful. The Yankees just doesn't have that much of a financial advantage over other teams.

There are things I want the Yankees to spend money on.

1. Better technology and investment in training. Scott Boras is actually a pioneer in the area. His athletes always ends up in the best training centers. Oakland A's is using http://spartascience.com/sparta/ for its players.

2. Be a pioneer and hire team doctors that travel with the team. This is the norm for even second/third tier soccer teams in Europe. Not the case with MLB teams for god knows why.

3. Beef up international scouting, namely in Japan. The posting system going forward is the last place for Yankees to flex financial muscle.

4. More statisticians please. Moneyball works. We need to do more of it.

These are things even the poorest teams can do. I am hoping we'll be early adopters. 1 and 2 have irked me for years. For whatever reason, American professional sports have trailed European soccer teams in medical and training practices.
    Some of the stuff you mentioned leaves out the fact that you and rest of us have little knowledge as to how much resources are devoted to training, scouting and statistical analysis. For all we know, the Yankee organization of today is among the leaders in those areas which wouldn't necessarily show up in results from this past season, but would have a cumulative effect in the coming years.

Thread Information