+ Reply to Thread
Page 423 of 555 FirstFirst ... 323 373 413 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 433 473 523 ... LastLast
Results 10,551 to 10,575 of 13863

Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    The team that just cleaned our clocks has anything but a diversified offense. What they have is a truly dominant 3/4 punch, and Delmon Young who kills them besides being the furthest thing from a diversified hitter.

The problem is the Yanks' counterpunch to Cabrera/ Fielder is A-Rod/Tex. one of these pairs is no longer like the other. And Cano and others just completely disappeared. Subbing Granderson and Swisher out for guys with better BA and less power wouldn't have made this team a WS winner.

Did you see the triple crown winner on the Tigers go the other way when the situation called for it? He did it several times during the series. Who on the Yankees does that? How many times have they been desperate for a hit and batted with the entire left side of the infield open and not even a feeble attempt was made to push a ground ball that way. Its mid boggling that so many people are willing to double down on this offense.

Quote Originally Posted by gold23 View Post
    He used to be an extra base hit machine- tons of doubles and triples to go along with a nice amount of HR.
    He used to play in Comerica Park, which may account for much of the difference.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    It might be. Or it could be that he has become much more pull happy.

Quote Originally Posted by madjack View Post
    Probably a combo of both, but I'd love to see a spray chart for him this season. Imagine almost everything would be to dead right. He also seemed much less patient. I know he had his walks, albeit maybe a little down, but I wonder if that's because by nature he got deep into counts with all his swing and misses. Regardless, he became a pure mistake hitter who was relatively easy to get out as long as you didn't leave a fastball middle in.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I get what you are saying here and largely agree with the sentiment but I do think the K rates this postseason are alarming. Not saying the answer is fewer "HR hitters", but I do think there is something to be said for having some guys who can consistently put the ball in play. How many times this postseason would a sac fly have made a huge difference yet we've got a lineup from top to bottom that was seemingly swinging from their heels and flailing on pitches in the dirt. I don't know what the exact solution is but some changes definitely need to be made.
    So this is to a degree where the SSS/luck issue can rear its head. Example: A-Rod put the ball in play in the first inning of game 1 with 2 outs and bases loaded. Peralta made a play on that he probably makes less than half the time. The incorrect call on Cano at first was a ball in play that should have led to 1 run, and perhaps multiple.

I really feel like it just steamrolled from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    Did you see the triple crown winner on the Tigers go the other way when the situation called for it? He did it several times during the series. Who on the Yankees does that? How many times have they been desperate for a hit and batted with the entire left side of the infield open and not even a feeble attempt was made to push a ground ball that way. Its mid boggling that so many people are willing to double down on this offense.
    So read my post again, with emphasis on "one of these pairs is no longer like the other." Unless the Tigers are interested in a Tex for Cabrera swap, I'm not sure the relevance of your post.

So this is to a degree where the SSS/luck issue can rear its head. Example: A-Rod put the ball in play in the first inning of game 1 with 2 outs and bases loaded. Peralta made a play on that he probably makes less than half the time. The incorrect call on Cano at first was a ball in play that should have led to 1 run, and perhaps multiple.

I really feel like it just steamrolled from there.
    Cano also hit the ball solidly to the opposite field with a man on first and none out in the 11th. It was just right to the left fielder.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Probably a combo of both, but I'd love to see a spray chart for him this season. Imagine almost everything would be to dead right. He also seemed much less patient. I know he had his walks, albeit maybe a little down, but I wonder if that's because by nature he got deep into counts with all his swing and misses. Regardless, he became a pure mistake hitter who was relatively easy to get out as long as you didn't leave a fastball middle in.
    At Yankee Stadium anyway, everything PRODUCTIVE was dead right. He had plenty of outs to the left side.

That's definitely an element.

'07 was his career high in XBH with 84 (38 2B, 23 3B, and 23 HR)
    '11 was his second best in XBH with 77 (26 2B, 10 3B and 41 HR)

In '07 he had 32 more hits and 33 less walks, 14 less runs and 45 less RBI.

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

thought for the day (for Cashman):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uepFO4psgKE

At Yankee Stadium anyway, everything PRODUCTIVE was dead right. He had plenty of outs to the left side.
    Which tells me he very likely didn't make solid contact often the other way. I'm not advocating making a guy like Granderson a spray hitter like Cano, but I do think the "pull off of everything and try to jack" hitter is a pretty easy hitter to pitch to.

Which tells me he very likely didn't make solid contact often the other way. I'm not advocating making a guy like Granderson a spray hitter like Cano, but I do think the "pull off of everything and try to jack" hitter is a pretty easy hitter to pitch to.
    Except for those 43 times, of course.

I agree with you in general though. He'd be a better hitter if he could use all fields, which he certainly did not do this season. Last year he had marginal success going the other way at home. Hopefully he improves upon that in '13.

Except for those 43 times, of course.

I agree with you in general though. He'd be a better hitter if he could use all fields, which he certainly did not do this season. Last year he had marginal success going the other way at home. Hopefully he improves upon that in '13.
    Agreed. Don't get me wrong. I don't think he was a 0. 43 homers is tremendously helpful. But his season was about as empty a 43 homer season as you can have. Problem is, if this is who he is you simply need to get lucky that a bunch of his 35-40 hr are well placed within games.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by madjack View Post
    Yeah I think his approach as changed too.

Didn't he have a bunch of doubles and triples his first year here? He seemed more like a gap hitter with power in 2010.
    Now?? He's trying to jack every ball out.

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    Yeah I think his approach as changed too.

Didn't he have a bunch of doubles and triples his first year here? He seemed more like a gap hitter with power in 2010.
    Now?? He's trying to jack every ball out.
    That was 2011, the same season he hit left-handers effectively. That year is looking like a fluke now.
    - Barry Manilow

That was 2011, the same season he hit left-handers effectively. That year is looking like a fluke now.
    Sure does look that way. Prior to that, Granderson's career splits were so bad that he resembled a platoon player. 2012 brought him back to the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Sure does look that way. Prior to that, Granderson's career splits were so bad that he resembled a platoon player. 2012 brought him back to the norm.
    He hits lefties for power, he just doesn't hit them otherwise. So if you can live with a bunch of 0-4's with 3 k's waiting for that bomb every three or four games against a lefty, his aggregate performance against them isn't putrid. I, for one, cannot.

He hits lefties for power, he just doesn't hit them otherwise. So if you can live with a bunch of 0-4's with 3 k's waiting for that bomb every three or four games against a lefty, his aggregate performance against them isn't putrid. I, for one, cannot.
    Meh, as far as lefties hitting lefties goes, he wasn't that bad. He was insano in '11, but even optimistic sorts wouldn't have expected that to continue (184 sOPS+). I'm honestly more concerned about his dropoff against RHP this season.

Tex actually went the other way on a couple of hard outs during this last series.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Tex actually went the other way on a couple of hard outs during this last series.
    You wish he went the other way.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Ok Brian you're on the clock. Is this a rebuilding year or a retooling year? With the farm system in disarray we won't be building from within. So what's a GM to do? Trade Arod? Stand pat Gillick? Sump salary? We shall see.Right now the report card is a passing grade but there are a few red marks, most notably signing Miguel Pinheada.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Sometimes it seems like Tex does. Something about his mannerisms...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by BennyTheJetRodriguez View Post
    Sometimes it seems like Tex does. Something about his mannerisms...
    Yep, wears his batting glove in his right pocket when he's on base........ definite bottom
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

If you ever go to the game, you'll see Teixeira performing ballet at 1B in between pitches, jumping and clicking his heels like Dorothy.

Goes something like this. See Bugs Bunny @ 3:23:

Thread Information