+ Reply to Thread
Page 409 of 492 FirstFirst ... 309 359 399 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 419 459 ... LastLast
Results 10,201 to 10,225 of 12279
    NYYF Legend

Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    For $2.2 million it's not a bad pickup...for his speed alone.

But this nonsense about how he is going to somehow rejuvenate w/ the Yankees...I mean, come on. He's a spare part....basically 25th guy on the roster.
    That's about how I figure it—though he's probably going to see regular playing time as long as his BA stays over the Martin line.

Hope this turns out better than the Pudge deal of a few years back.

For $2.2 million it's not a bad pickup...for his speed alone.

But this nonsense about how he is going to somehow rejuvenate w/ the Yankees...I mean, come on. He's a spare part....basically 25th guy on the roster.
    I don't think it's nonsense as there's been many cases of aged players getting traded onto winning teams and then turning it around for a short period of time and becoming vital to that team's success. I don't know if that's going to happen here with Ichiro, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility. Furthermore, if he plays the field most of the games in the outfield, he's more than just their 25th guy on the roster.
    Is this the end of the Brian Cashman era?

NYYF Legend

I hope he's not done... We need some arms
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

Btw, lots of news outlets are saying that this deal was over cashman's head and that levine was the main catalyst
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    Btw, lots of news outlets are saying that this deal was over cashman's head and that levine was the main catalyst
    Actually, the President of the Mariners Armstrong contacted Randy Levine and informed him that Ichiro was available after Ichiro requested to be traded to a contending team. From there, the GMs negotiated the trade with input from the owners because of the amount of money exchanged from the Mariners to the Yankees. Ichiro has 7M left on his contract with the Yankees paying only 2.2M of it.

A good detail timeline on how this trade took place.

Shortly after the All-Star break, Ichiro told the Mariners he wanted to be traded, understanding that the team was in a rebuilding mode and had younger players that needed playing time.

Mariners president Chuck Armstrong was told by Ichiro’s agent, Tony Attanasio, which teams the outfielder would be amenable to joining, setting the wheels in motion for Monday’s surprising move.

“He deserves a chance to play for a contending team,” Mariners CEO Howard Lincoln said. “And the Mariners certainly should not stand in his way.”

Armstrong reached out to several team presidents, including Randy Levine of the Yankees. Levine, sensing a potential fit, called Cashman and discussed the situation. Cashman, who had been “surveying the landscape” for outfielders once it was decided that Brett Gardner would need surgery on his elbow, was intrigued by the possibility of Ichiro.

“This was a conversation that stood above the general managers,” Cashman said. “Randy asked me, ‘Would you have an interest in Ichiro; there might be something that could make sense.’ From there we went.”

Cashman and Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik hammered out the details of the deal, which was announced Monday afternoon as the Yankees began arriving at Safeco Field. Ichiro, Lincoln and Armstrong sat together in the interview room for a press conference, then the two Seattle executives departed the stage, replaced by Girardi, Ichiro’s new manager.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz21WwuoOqo

I hope he's not done... We need some arms
    arms to replace who? the Yankees are 3rd in the AL in ERA and have Joba and Andy coming back. an OF was the only move to make

Well, this move was a good one. Right along the lines of the Pierre move I was thinking about. Pierre's having the better year, but Ichiro obviously has the better career numbers and higher potential if he can have a resurgence. Now we just need Swisher to get back in the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    arms to replace who? the Yankees are 3rd in the AL in ERA and have Joba and Andy coming bak. an OF was the only move to make
    I don't think Cashman is looking for a starting pitcher, but I do think he would like to get another bullpen arm who is effective against guys from both sides of the plate. If Joba makes it all the way back without an unexpected set back, it is not essential, but even if he does, the team could be further enhanced by replacing both Epply and Rapada.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    I don't think Cashman is looking for a starting pitcher, but I do think he would like to get another bullpen arm who is effective against guys from both sides of the plate. If Joba makes it all the way back without an unexpected set back, it is not essential, but even if he does, the team could be further enhanced by replacing both Epply and Rapada.

Any updates on Ardesma?

If teams were smarter, they'd call Levine instead of Cashman because Levine is a dummy and is much more easily fleeced in a trade than Cashman!
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    If teams were smarter, they'd call Levine instead of Cashman because Levine is a dummy and is much more easily fleeced in a trade than Cashman!
    They can call Levine, but he's going to let Cashman do the negotiating, especially after the Soriano episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    They can call Levine, but he's going to let Cashman do the negotiating, especially after the Soriano episode.
    We can only hope...

We can only hope...
    What we do know is that Cashman negotiated this trade after Levine handed it off to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    What we do know is that Cashman negotiated this trade after Levine handed it off to him.
    Let's hope that remains the norm for the rest of Levine's days as Yankee President....

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Let's hope that remains the norm for the rest of Levine's days as Yankee President....
    I'm not sure he's ever negotiated a trade -- has he?
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

I wouldn't be surprised. Cashman is not one to pick up big but faded names. Not sure who did the Pudge deal that year...though that deal made some sense anyway as he was a legit backup catcher still.

Ichiro can still run...and that could be important in the postseason if an Ibanez or Jones gets on base late in a tight game.

the only other aspect to this that I haven't seen mentioned...is it possible this could give the Yanks some leeway to trade Swisher? It wouldn't help them this year ,so it's probably not going to happen, but overall, if they get a high ceiling pitching prospect type back for what amounts to losing Swisher for two months plus October....it might be worth considering....

NYYF Legend

You can disagree with the guy's methods and personality, but to call him a dummy is..well..just plain dumb.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

the only other aspect to this that I haven't seen mentioned...is it possible this could give the Yanks some leeway to trade Swisher? It wouldn't help them this year ,so it's probably not going to happen, but overall, if they get a high ceiling pitching prospect type back for what amounts to losing Swisher for two months plus October....it might be worth considering....
    As John McEnroe would say: You can't be serious!

You really think the N. Y. Yankees, the team that tries to win every year and is in great playoff position right now is going to consider trading a valuable part of the lineup for a pitching prospect for future years?

There is a very good reason you have not seen that idea mentioned elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey View Post
    You can disagree with the guy's methods and personality, but to call him a dummy is..well..just plain dumb.
    Dummy in relation to baseball operations such as player negotiations/free agent signings/etc.
    Sorry I didn't clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    As John McEnroe would say: You can't be serious!

You really think the N. Y. Yankees, the team that tries to win every year and is in great playoff position right now is going to consider trading a valuable part of the lineup for a pitching prospect for future years?

There is a very good reason you have not seen that idea mentioned elsewhere.
    The Yankees will be operating in a new reality in 2014. Still a great reality compared to the rest of baseball, but they are not going to operate in the same fashion they always have if they are serious about staying under the $189m. One way to stay under that $189 while retaining Cano and Granderson is by stockpiling young arms right now.

Swisher's value to the Yankees is dwindling. That's not a knock on him at all, but they are making the playoffs regardless of whether he is there the rest of the way or not. So the question becomes would they be willing to give up Swisher's bat for 1 to 20 postseason games if they could get a long range pitching prospect with a high ceiling?

Agreed that it's tough to reduce your odds of winning a World Seires this year in any fashion, but it's not that crazy of a tradeoff considering the new operating model they are now under.

The Yankees will be operating in a new reality in 2014. Still a great reality compared to the rest of baseball, but they are not going to operate in the same fashion they always have if they are serious about staying under the $189m. One way to stay under that $189 while retaining Cano and Granderson is by stockpiling young arms right now.

Swisher's value to the Yankees is dwindling. That's not a knock on him at all, but they are making the playoffs regardless of whether he is there the rest of the way or not. So the question becomes would they be willing to give up Swisher's bat for 1 to 20 postseason games if they could get a long range pitching prospect with a high ceiling?

Agreed that it's tough to reduce your odds of winning a World Seires this year in any fashion, but it's not that crazy of a tradeoff considering the new operating model they are now under.
    I understand how you're trying to rationalize it with 2014, but no Yankee team has ever operated this way, nor will they.
    Team Northern Lights

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    I understand how you're trying to rationalize it with 2014, but no Yankee team has ever operated this way, nor will they.
    Especially one with the financial dynamics of the Yankees
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

I would love to see them reach $189M but I will believe it when I see it.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Especially if we want to re-sign Granderson and Cano.
    Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    The plan involves A-Rod retiring after 2013, and taking Reggie's job on a 10 year, $100 million contract

Thread Information