+ Reply to Thread
Page 393 of 521 FirstFirst ... 293 343 383 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 403 443 493 ... LastLast
Results 9,801 to 9,825 of 13014

Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    In D-Rob's magical fairy dust season last year, he was worth about half of what Dan Haren was in a normal year. That trade would be a coup.
    DRob is a lockdown late-inning reliever with closer stuff. That is great value. Haren is a good starter but certainly not a slam dunk to be a #2 starter for us, which is what we need. I would only entertain trading DRob for an ace.

Why take the greatest strength of your team and dilute it?

Dan Haren is superior to everyone else in the rotation not named CC Sabathia by a fairly significant margin.

I might be in the minority...but I have full confidence in this rotation. CC, Kuroda, Nova is a good top 3. Pettitte will join the team soon and I have no doubts will at least be a competent middle of the rotation guy. Phelps will be better then Garcia.

Whatever concerns I might have, or more about 2013 and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by bomber999 View Post
    DRob is a lockdown late-inning reliever with closer stuff. That is great value. Haren is a good starter but certainly not a slam dunk to be a #2 starter for us, which is what we need. I would only entertain trading DRob for an ace.

So we can take the biggest weakness of the team and bolster it.

And it's still the weakest part of the team

Id be disappointed if DRob got traded, but yeah....I can see the reasons for it.

i'd take drob because he is more fun to watch. put it this way, do you want another impulsive rafael soriano contract?

not that angels would trade haren and his 220 innings anyway. that's not how it works
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by bomber999 View Post

With you on that. Besides Robertson is also probably being looked at to close next year if in fact Mo calls it a career at the end of 2012.
    I'm too smooth you'll never see me comin', I'm never in a hurry I'm just movin' fast...

Right. DRob is great because his cutter and fb are looking good, then he has that sick nasty curve. I don't know, I love watching him pitch. He absolutely dominates.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingofkings19 View Post
    And it's still the weakest part of the team
    A 1-2 of CC and Haren is a formidable postseason tandem, especially with this offense and a
    still-very-good bullpen (I imagine Huges would take over the 8th inning).

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    i'd take drob because he is more fun to watch.
    he is more fun to watch, but i don't think you really feel this way.

put it this way, do you want another impulsive rafael soriano contract?
    that makes no sense. it's like saying if we don't get haren, would we want another AJ Burnett contract.

not that angels would trade haren and his 220 innings anyway. that's not how it works
    eh, you're probably right there, although haren's soon-to-expire contract and cost coupled with D-Rob's years of control and relative affordability makes it closer.

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Right. DRob is great because his cutter and fb are looking good, then he has that sick nasty curve. I don't know, I love watching him pitch. He absolutely dominates.
    I love watching him pitch too, no doubt.

NYYF Legend

Must post from Guangzhou to say WOW, there are people in this world who wouldn't trade DRob for Haren?

if you want haren just sign him later. drob is a longterm piece that has pretty low risk.

that makes no sense. it's like saying if we don't get haren, would we want another AJ Burnett contract.
    well, would we want another darvish contract? signing relievers to these deals is never the right move for the yankees. they need to spend the money on high quality starter contracts.
    always reasonable

if you want haren just sign him later. drob is a longterm piece that has pretty low risk.
    when is haren an FA?

NYYF Legend

Using your logic, we should keep Gardner instead of trading for Justin Upton.

when is haren an FA?
    he has a club option that is sure to be picked up for 2013, so 2014.

there are a number of factors in play for me here.

1. i value shutdown bullpens a bit more than most because of the stacking efficiency it has, particularly in the postseason. drob is a guy that can get free outs in any game any situation. having drob makes mo more impactful, and so on.

2. i don't discount future performance for current season success that heavily. haren has 2 years of control left, and he will get a market price extension when that runs out. you can probably extend drob right now for a more efficient deal. then sign that starting pitcher on the market.

3. yankees develop relievers better than they develop starters. ok, this means trading drob is in fact what they should do, then develop more drobs and use the money on more offense or starting pitching. but with the soriano feliciano of the world getting signed, it seems like they do not have this philosophy of developing your own relievers. i'd much rather let them take risks with upside on starters, rather than doing absolutely nothing with reliever deals.

still, if im playing gm rather than speaking from a fan's perspective, and angels offered the deal i'd take it pretty fast. it'll probably backfire in 2 weeks but hey

gardner for upton is not comparable for the above reasons.
    always reasonable

when is haren an FA?
    He has an option next year and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Not quite since Justin Upton is tied up in a contract longer than Gardner becomes a free agent. Also, Upton is still only 24 years old.

also, a great bullpen is a waste on a bad team no doubt, but it is more useful when the rest of the team is good to above average. you don't exactly need the rotation to be utterly amazing to make the postseason with the lineup. if the idea is to build the most efficient team for getting championships, i would definitely have a strong bullpen.

bullpen pieces are easier to find. yankees are pretty good at finding them...with enough time i might argue myself to the other side but i refuse to do so.
    always reasonable

Cashman as a bleacher creature. the visor/hair combo is hilarious.
    http://network.yardbarker.com/mlb/ar...ksrc=foxrg_mlb

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    A 1-2 of CC and Haren is a formidable postseason tandem, especially with this offense and a
    still-very-good bullpen (I imagine Huges would take over the 8th inning).
    There seems to be this belief that Hughes would be a good relief pitcher. I don't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    Cashman as a bleacher creature. the visor/hair combo is hilarious.
    http://network.yardbarker.com/mlb/ar...ksrc=foxrg_mlb
    I was a row in front of Bald Vinny and about 8 or 9 seats down ... the disguise totally worked on me because I never noticed Cashman.

Quote Originally Posted by dave8274 View Post
    There seems to be this belief that Hughes would be a good relief pitcher. I don't see it.
    The belief is no doubt based on the fact he WAS a good relief pitcher in 2009.
    Hank 'N Hal's Country Club -- where accountability is soooo 1990s!

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

i'd take drob because he is more fun to watch. put it this way, do you want another impulsive rafael soriano contract?

If trades were to occur in a vacuum sure, but desperation will make people do funny things.

Im pretty positive, once the Angels fall more than 10 out, he will entertain offers such as that one.

That bullpen is more than atrocious and losing Haren won't even hurt them in the playoffs that much let alone regular season.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

well, would we want another darvish contract? signing relievers to these deals is never the right move for the yankees. they need to spend the money on high quality starter contracts.
    Trading D-Rob has no connection whatsoever to the Soriano contract, at least if we're talking about what the Yankees SHOULD do. That contract is bad independent of everything else, and trading D-Rob shouldn't necessitate Soriano v2.0.

Thread Information