+ Reply to Thread
Page 386 of 523 FirstFirst ... 286 336 376 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 396 436 486 ... LastLast
Results 9,626 to 9,650 of 13059

Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    What's got into Cash - his word and actions - the past couple of years?
    He seems to be more open and honest. I like it.

I'm beginning to think Cashman could save a bunch of orphans from a burning building and you'd criticize him for the route he took on the way out.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I think he does a good job in terms of baseball decisions, but I have come to loathe his personality.

Whenever he opens his mouth, he hangs a cloud of utter joylessness over something for which I feel (and want to feel) intense excitement and passion.
    You should have listen to him yesterday then on WFAN as he was very positive about Hughes and his pitching staff.

NYYF Legend

Offseason grade for Cashman? (Assuming at the moment that Chavez comes back for around $1m, and that there are no other significant deals up his sleeve.)

I think a solid B is in order. I don't like the Ibanez signing, and I'm a little bothered that there wasn't a deal for a younger outfielder in there somewhere; someone who could act as a better-than-Dickerson backup OF and DH, which then gives you options if you don't bring back Swisher in 2013. Kuroda is a decent signing, the Pineda deal certainly beats the market for Pineda-like players, and the farm system still exists.

I remain bummed that Montero won't be a Yankee (at least, until 2018 or whatever). Thought that one might fade after a week or two, but it hasn't. But then, it's not Cashman's job to worry about that stuff.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    Mayonnaise is a demanding master.

i would give him a B+. he did virtually everything except getting a good LH DH

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    i would give him a B+. he did virtually everything except getting a good LH DH
    Agreed.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by arodera View Post
    a gm publicly discounting the rays' winning the division title, however indirectly, as if it were the yanks who "handed" it to them, sounds cheap, regardless of what everybody thought or knew. Maybe he should think and evaluate before he speaks. What's got into cash - his word and actions - the past couple of years?
    “we conceded the division two years ago because of the previous setup. I’m not taking away from tampa bay’s eastern division title, but we didn’t try to win the division. We tried to line ourselves up for the playoffs and that worked. We wound up sweeping minnesota and going to play the texas rangers two years ago because we got our guys healthy and ready to go. The division title, the way that wild card situation was sitting, was rendered meaningless.
    quote] “… i felt we made the appropriate decision. i won’t say we gave it away because tampa earned it, but we were willing to not win it if it meant putting ourselves in a better position to move forward in october. Those are choices that i think it’s best to eliminate from the equation, and the commissioner has done a great thing by doing that.”
    Handed? I don't see that.
    "Well guess what? He's dead. You just signed a dead guy." --pleasepassthesoup

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneTravis View Post
    Handed? I don't see that.
    Forget it-- he's rolling.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Bryan Hoch @BryanHoch The Yankees weren't trying to win the AL East late in 2010. Cashman admits NYY decided to chase Wild Card and get healthy instead.
    Must be why ARod and Tex played both games of the doubleheader in Boston on the final day.

NYYF Legend

From top to bottom, this is one of the strongest Yankee rosters in a while.

- Deep rotation
    - Deep bullpen
    - Deep lineup
    - Capable bench

From top to bottom, this is one of the strongest Yankee rosters in a while.

- Deep rotation
    - Deep bullpen
    - Deep lineup
    - Capable bench
    Yeah, I think this might be the best offseason of Cashman's career. He's been creative and thorough while on a budget, something he's never managed to do before. I give him a lot of props. Regardless of whether this roster wins the WS, Cashman made really smart moves.

NYYF Legend

This team won 95 games last year with a joke of a rotation. They will now return with basically the same lineup and tremendous SP and RP depth. They have to be the AL favorites on paper.

I wonder if Cashman regrets trading Jesus for Pineda right now.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

This team won 95 games last year with a joke of a rotation. They will now return with basically the same lineup and tremendous SP and RP depth. They have to be the AL favorites on paper.
    It may have not been a great rotation on paper, but it performed very well. We'll have to see what happens after the games start
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

I have some concerns about the offense....but yeah I get what you're saying. On paper, the pitching staff is straight up nasty.

Neither guy has played a single game for his new team. If Cash liked the deal when he made it, why would he regret it now?

Halo's essentially have a rotation that rivals Philly (if not better) with Pujols (and Morales/Trout/Kendrick/Bourjos). I fear them.

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    Neither guy has played a single game for his new team. If Cash liked the deal when he made it, why would he regret it now?
    Some of the things he's said since the trade (even well before the predictable velocity discussion) made it seem like he regretted it even as he was doing it.
    Plays the game the wrong way.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gigi Buffon View Post
    Some of the things he's said since the trade (even well before the predictable velocity discussion) made it seem like he regretted it even as he was doing it.
    I think he recognizes Montero's potential and would love to have him on the Yankees, but I haven't read anything that made me think he regretted making the deal. There's a difference between wishing you could have kept a guy and regretting the trade.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Gigi Buffon View Post
    Seeing as he had the authority to either make the trade or not make the trade, I would think this is reading too much into things. He wouldn't have made the deal if he didn't think it was a good one.

Devoted Member

Cash has been money this offseason. I know people have read his comments and thought he was careless with it, but to me it is a sign that he feels comfortably in power of baseball ops as GM instead of being constantly overruled and/or underappreciated due to payroll. There aresome GM's on this board that have their "Linsanity" moments such as Jack Z. couple years ago where some people proclaimed him to be a semi-God of GM's. Cash is smart, steady, respected by fellow GMs, old and new school. As we all know, with enough of a sample size, you can see true performance charts and thru all ups and downs Cashman's GM OPS+ has to be in 120-130 range. I should probably TM that :-)
    Congratulations and thank you for number 27, Yankees !!!!!!!!!!!!!. 1 game at a time to 28. C'mon, Yankees.

Babe Ruth Jr's minor league deal has been reworked per MLBTR:

Quote Originally Posted by Saxmania View Post
    I'm a little bothered that there wasn't a deal for a younger outfielder in there somewhere; someone who could act as a better-than-Dickerson backup OF and DH, which then gives you options if you don't bring back Swisher in 2013. nd the farm system still exists.
    I would think that Swish will not be back on the team. I trust Cash has his eyes set on a handful of players to fill the RF slot. I suspect it will not be from the farm though.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

I wonder if he would have traded Montero knowing Pettitte was coming back.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    I wonder if he would have traded Montero knowing Pettitte was coming back.
    Yes. The move he most likely would not have done is the Kuroda signing.
    Life is good!

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Yes. The move he most likely would not have done is the Kuroda signing.
    what makes you say that.

I think he signs Kuroda and keeps Montero. At that point, you have plenty of pitching and you get to keep Montero.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Thread Information