+ Reply to Thread
Page 339 of 549 FirstFirst ... 239 289 329 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 349 389 439 ... LastLast
Results 8,451 to 8,475 of 13723

Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    I agree with your thinking, and I've also thought that Cashman's philosophies & actions are the signs of a GM that 1) truly cares about doing his job well and about doing what's right for the organization, regardless of his own personal future, and 2) is gaining the confidence of the "new owners", showing that he is the right man to lead baseball operations for this organization for many years to come.

I believe the Steinbrenner family doesn't have the same type of passion for the Yankees as George did, and I think they will gladly let the "right person" run the baseball side of the operation. I believe they look at the Yankees as more of a business than George was ever capable of doing. Eventually they will sell this franchise and walk away.

Cashman (IMO) is showing them that they can trust him, and that he is looking out for the organization's future.
    Agree wholeheartedly. Many, many GM's make decisions based on their own futures (Jim Hendry is a wonderful example of this, as he could rightfully be fired today for his hurting the organization greatly in the last week by not getting rid of dead weight/dead $) and not the team. Cashman has pretty much always acted in the best interests of the club. Should be expected, of course, but it's the rarity.

I believe the Steinbrenner family doesn't have the same type of passion for the Yankees as George did, and I think they will gladly let the "right person" run the baseball side of the operation. I believe they look at the Yankees as more of a business than George was ever capable of doing. Eventually they will sell this franchise and walk away.
    While it would be hard for any human being to match the intensity of George, I don't know if I'm ready to agree with the speculation that the rest of the family doesn't have the same type of passion for the Yankees as their dad did. Look at many of us as Yankee fans. We live, eat, breathe, drink Yankee baseball. You think that the sons of the Yankee owner, who grew up in the Yankee family, who owe all of their financial fortunes to the Yankees, who are likely diehard baseball fans with a vantage point of the game that most people will never get, don't have a passion for the game?

Here's to hoping they just don't have a passion for grabbing somewhat meaningless headlines like their father did, and that the team remains in the Steinbrenner family.

NYYF Legend

^ I'm pretty sure the Soriano signing was an attempt at a headline grab

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    ^ I'm pretty sure the Soriano signing was an attempt at a headline grab
    Possibly, although it could probably be spun as the "new owners" wanting to showcase the "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" approach that they intend to have since it was a relatively quiet offseason. As misguided as that was, I'd guess they gave him that fat contract because they thought it would show their commitment/passion for winning, versus getting them on the back page of the local papers for a day.

NYYF Legend

I agree with your thinking, and I've also thought that Cashman's philosophies & actions are the signs of a GM that 1) truly cares about doing his job well and about doing what's right for the organization, regardless of his own personal future, and 2) is gaining the confidence of the "new owners", showing that he is the right man to lead baseball operations for this organization for many years to come.

Cashman (IMO) is showing them that they can trust him, and that he is looking out for the organization's future.
    Over the weekend I was reading an old article from 2007 where Hank talks about his son, GeorgeMichael, taking over the Yankees in about 10-15 years. I don't think they will walk away.
    My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Did Cashman Blow It With Jimenez?

He just compared a 26 yr old with a career AAA OPS of 645 to Montero AND
    a 23 yr old 4.99 ERA in AA having mf to Nova.

I love this guy.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Ownership needs to stay out of baseball personnel decisions because they're not good at it.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/T...akeover-080111

Btw, LOVE the fact that O'dowd was referenced by many sources as referring to Jimenez as an ace and asking for ace quality return (which he did essentially get) and then goes on TV yesterday and called Jimenez a "2 or 3".

NYYF Legend

Yankees cut loose Aceves, Moseley

By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com | 12/02/10 9:30 PM EST

NEW YORK -- The Yankees declined to offer contracts to right-handers Alfredo Aceves and Dustin Moseley on Thursday, making both players free agents in advance of baseball's non-tender deadline.
    Late Wednesday, right-hander Sergio Mitre agreed to a one-year contract with the club worth approximately $900,000.
    New York also offered 2011 deals to pitchers Joba Chamberlain, Phil Hughes and Boone Logan. If a player had not been tendered a contract by 11:59 p.m. ET, he immediately would become a free agent and be able to negotiate with any team.
    http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...s_nyy&c_id=nyy

I wonder what Cash would do if given a do-over on these moves. Keep Aceves and ding Mitre (forever) and Logan would be my calls. Joba was probably worth a shot. It really pains me to see Ace producing for Boston. Obviously, Cash would still want Logan. If someone had to go, he picked the wrong one.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by gold23 View Post
    Btw, LOVE the fact that O'dowd was referenced by many sources as referring to Jimenez as an ace and asking for ace quality return (which he did essentially get) and then goes on TV yesterday and called Jimenez a "2 or 3".
    He was trying to pull off a heist

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    While it would be hard for any human being to match the intensity of George, I don't know if I'm ready to agree with the speculation that the rest of the family doesn't have the same type of passion for the Yankees as their dad did. Look at many of us as Yankee fans. We live, eat, breathe, drink Yankee baseball. You think that the sons of the Yankee owner, who grew up in the Yankee family, who owe all of their financial fortunes to the Yankees, who are likely diehard baseball fans with a vantage point of the game that most people will never get, don't have a passion for the game?

Here's to hoping they just don't have a passion for grabbing somewhat meaningless headlines like their father did, and that the team remains in the Steinbrenner family.
    It's totally speculation on my part, and the only thing I'm basing it on is Hal's apparent desire to stay out of the limelight, and the debauchery that ensued after George first passed away, when Hank began opening his mouth and something goofy would always come out of it, and then dropping out of the public eye when it became apparent that Hal was really the mastermind.

Once again, this is total speculation on my part, but I believe that Hal is not a baseball nut, and he is focused more on the bigger picture. I think he is also a believer in delegation and trusting his people, something George was never really good at.

With regards to the Steinbrenners' assets, I disagree that they "owe all of thier financial fortunes to the Yankees". Steinbrenner was a millionaire before he bought the team, and ventured out into many profitable businesses over the years. Of course, the Yankees were the most profitable and most recognizable, but in the big picture, they are just the biggest part of the portfolio. I stand by my speculation that Hal is more of a businessman than he is a sports enthusiast, more of a realist than a star-gazer, more of a bottom-line guy than a speculator.

Lol, once again, it's only my opinion, but I'm sticking to it. The point remains that Cashman had to win the Steinbrenners over in order to keep his job, and I think he's doing just that, for the reasons already stated.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Ownership needs to stay out of baseball personnel decisions because they're not good at it.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/T...akeover-080111
    One rival GM who spoke with the Yankees said Cashman had seven untouchables in trade discussions — a high number for a team that considers its season a failure if it does not win the World Series.
    Seriously, seven untouchables? Who knows if it's true, but that seems pretty absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by YESSIR! View Post
    Seriously, seven untouchables? Who knows if it's true, but that seems pretty absurd.
    Well, it wasn't that long ago when they never had any untouchables which is equally absurd.

NYYF Legend

Well, it wasn't that long ago when they never had any untouchables which is equally absurd.
    Touche

Im sure at the start of most negotiations GMs have a lot of untouchables. There really werent any players out there who would entice Cashman to remove that label. Also remember Cashman has also said many times in the past that he would move anyone in the right deal.
    If you listen to the fans you’ll be sitting with them soon enough.- Brian Cashman

I remember when Tony Soliata was their crown jewel. Those weren't the days.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by R.V.47 View Post
    Im sure at the start of most negotiations GMs have a lot of untouchables. There really werent any players out there who would entice Cashman to remove that label. Also remember Cashman has also said many times in the past that he would move anyone in the right deal.
    Right, if King Felix became available, I could see 2-3 of those untouchables in such a trade.

It's totally speculation on my part, and the only thing I'm basing it on is Hal's apparent desire to stay out of the limelight, and the debauchery that ensued after George first passed away, when Hank began opening his mouth and something goofy would always come out of it, and then dropping out of the public eye when it became apparent that Hal was really the mastermind.

Once again, this is total speculation on my part, but I believe that Hal is not a baseball nut, and he is focused more on the bigger picture. I think he is also a believer in delegation and trusting his people, something George was never really good at.

With regards to the Steinbrenners' assets, I disagree that they "owe all of thier financial fortunes to the Yankees". Steinbrenner was a millionaire before he bought the team, and ventured out into many profitable businesses over the years. Of course, the Yankees were the most profitable and most recognizable, but in the big picture, they are just the biggest part of the portfolio. I stand by my speculation that Hal is more of a businessman than he is a sports enthusiast, more of a realist than a star-gazer, more of a bottom-line guy than a speculator.

Lol, once again, it's only my opinion, but I'm sticking to it. The point remains that Cashman had to win the Steinbrenners over in order to keep his job, and I think he's doing just that, for the reasons already stated.
    My recollection (although I could be wrong) was that Steinbrenner's ship building business tanked, and that his subsequent businesses were funded from profits he made as owner of the Yankees. Could be wrong.

But either way, since we're speculating wildly, even if they were wealthy without the Yankees they certainly weren't notorious the way they are as the owners of the world's most recognizable sports franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by R.V.47 View Post
    Exactly. Who is or isn't untouchable depends completely on the player we are talking about.
    ~John

Yanksfanintoronto Yanksfanintoronto's Avatar

Interesting read on Hank for anyone interested: http://travelsofjohn.com/interviews/...k-steinbrenner

EDIT: http://travelsofjohn.com/interviews/...k-steinbrenner
    Death, Taxes and King Eli under centre

Quote Originally Posted by ring403 View Post
    Who is or isn't untouchable depends completely on the player we are talking about.

"They ask for Montero, you offer Hughes. THAT'S the Yankee way!"
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Man, watching the White Sox kinda made me realize how fortunate we are. The rumor going around is that Williams didn't make a push to keep Rasmus because Tony La Russa might become the manager next year.

What a terrible franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Man, watching the White Sox kinda made me realize how fortunate we are.
    I thought this was going to be a post about Adam Dunn.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post

lol good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post

That's one of the funniest things I've ever seen here.

Thread Information