+ Reply to Thread
Page 151 of 562 FirstFirst ... 51 101 141 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 161 201 251 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,775 of 14026

Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by roblyo33 View Post
    Other than what you have read from the media, what makes you think that this is the case?? I'm not saying that it isn't true but, I take what the writers have to say with a grain of salt. Both sides are in negotiating positions so, this is the type of stuff that will come out to the press and, whichever side the reporter is on, he/she will spin it that way..

Well yeah but I think its pretty obvious whats going on here if Jeter was OK with a 3 year deal it would probably be signed by now.
    If you listen to the fans you’ll be sitting with them soon enough.- Brian Cashman

Quote Originally Posted by R.V.47 View Post
    None of these guys ever really wanted to play for either teams. The yankees could take a hard line stance with all of them and at the end of the day would still be offering more money than any other team. Rivera, fine the guys bionic and the last 3 years have arguably been the best of his career after signing that contract. But neither he or Posada wanted to go anywhere, Posadas negotiations with the Mets were never that serious he basically had 1 lunch with Omar Minaya.

Jeter is in the same spot, he wants more money and years but at the end of the day even if the yankees low ball him it will still be a richer contract than any other team is likely to offer him. Just like they couldve done with Burnett and CC and A-Rod but the yankees dont negotiate they just take the financial hit and say it was in the name of winning which has worked out for the most part but could end up hurting
    How in the hell do you know they weren't serious? The only thing we have are some media reports, but Cashman was in a much better position to gauge the seriousness of those negotiations.
    Last edited by Yankees1962; 11-19-10 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by R.V.47 View Post
    Well yeah but I think its pretty obvious whats going on here if Jeter was OK with a 3 year deal it would probably be signed by now.
    Again, according to Sherman, an offer from the Yankees haven't been made as of yesterday afternoon.

Cashman surprised me as well as the media today with his pitching coach hire. Rothschild is a very good pitching coach and should do some excellent work with the Yankee pitchers.

NYYF Legend

If I were Cashman I would be.........

thinking of finding a replacement for Jeter for the near future. Not next year, because I'm sure that Jeter will eventually sign and all the bitterness will be forgotten by opening day. However, all fans know that the handwriting is on the wall and Jeter's days as a elite shortstop may be gone. Does anyone know if there is a replacement in the Yankee minor leagues system who could be a potential superstar shortstop or do they need to eventually go the trade or free agent way to get another one?....just wondering.

If I were Cashman I would be.........

straightening my portrait of Napoleon Bonaparte right about now...

Re: If I were Cashman I would be.........

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    thinking of finding a replacement for Jeter for the near future. Not next year, because I'm sure that Jeter will eventually sign and all the bitterness will be forgotten by opening day. However, all fans know that the handwriting is on the wall and Jeter's days as a elite shortstop may be gone. Does anyone know if there is a replacement in the Yankee minor leagues system who could be a potential superstar shortstop or do they need to eventually go the trade or free agent way to get another one?....just wondering.
    Hanley and Tulo are free agents in 13/14. It wouldn't be wise to succumb to Jeter's game of chicken and go beyond 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kismetized View Post
    Hanley and Tulo are free agents in 13/14. It wouldn't be wise to succumb to Jeter's game of chicken and go beyond 3 years.
    I agree, I wouldn't be suprised if Cash is thinking that way too.
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

Frankly he should have been doing this a while back, but focused on pitching and catching (which in general has panned out). I think he was counting on Jeter remaining productive and/or realized that even a declining Jeter can't simply be kicked to the curb. So he focused his attention elsewhere.

That said, I don't see any way he's ready in 3 years but their first round pick lastyear was a SS named Culver. Mixed reviews on him, although I think he improved his stock after the draft. There are others in the minors forum that can offer better insights than me.

We'll probably see a hard push for Tulo or Ramirez when their deals are up.

He's already been thinking about it that's why we drafted Culver this year and why he wouldn't trade Nunez in the Cliff Lee deal. That said Cashman knows that working for the Yankees there is always going to the be the opportunity to sign for or trade for a big time player. As others have mentioned Hanley and/or Tulo could be available when Jeter is done at SS. And in 2-3 years plenty of other options could come up.

If I were Cashman I'd forget about Jeter for a little while and focus my full attention on signing Cliff Lee as he is the real key to this offseason. Jeter will come to his senses eventually for the simple fact that he has no leverage. Sit on the 3 for 45M offer and let Jeter come down to that. Ultimately he'll probably take something around 3 for 55M.

They did take Cito Culver in the first round in this years draft.

Let's just trade Montero+B+2x spares for Hanley now.

The Marlins can have Igawa too. We'll eat his salary.

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    Let's just trade Montero+B+2x spares for Hanley now.

The Marlins can have Igawa too. We'll eat his salary.
    Eh, let the fish keep Hanley until they put him on the trade block or he hits free agency. Everyone knows he can rake at the plate, but there is the belief among many scouts that he won't be a SS in a couple of years. He's a tremendous guy and not much of a whiz defensively at SS at age 26.

he's not going to be worse than jeter though.
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

Brian Cashman flew to Maryland this week to meet with A.J. Burnett, writes ESPN.com's Buster Olney (Insider required). While it's not the first time Cashman has met with one of his veteran players during the offseason, the visit was more noteworthy because of Burnett's disappointing 2010 campaign. The Yanks' GM "made it clear" to the 33-year-old that the team still believes in him going forward.
    ~ MLBTR

Is that what really transpired?

i don't see why not
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

Dammit awy. That was meant to be a prompt for jokes about the meeting.

Released Outright JavyVazquezIsSick's Avatar

What a terrible signing.

Quote Originally Posted by NYYDragoon View Post
    ~ MLBTR

i heard he went down there to punch him the eye again

He went to tell him the Montero Era is upon us. No more of this light-hitting personal catcher business.

"In baseball, you don't know nothin'." - Yogi Berra

I am stunned that Rivera is going to get a raise.

Quote Originally Posted by NYYDragoon View Post
    ~ MLBTR

Cashman went there to apologize to AJ. Something along the lines of:

"Don't worry, it's not you AJ, it's me. I'm the one who signed or traded for you, Igawa, CHoP, Gaudin 3 times, Javy, Antonio Osuna, Juan Acevedo, Felix Heredia, Gabe White, Kevin Brown, Esteban Loaiza, C.J. Nitkowski, Carl Pavano, Tim Redding, Darrell May, Alan Embree, Mike Myers, Kevin Brown, LaTroy Hawkins, Kyle Farnsworth, Scott Erickson and, oh........ I gave a one contract to Octavio Dotel for TWO MILLION, just to rehab his arm from TJ surgery, knowing he'd be lame for most, if not the entire season, but didn't want to offer him a contract for the following year, when he would be healthier and ready to pitch."

GM's often make bad moves, news at 10.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Cashman went there to apologize to AJ. Something along the lines of:

"Don't worry, it's not you AJ, it's me. I'm the one who signed or traded for you, Igawa, CHoP, Gaudin 3 times, Javy, Antonio Osuna, Juan Acevedo, Felix Heredia, Gabe White, Kevin Brown, Esteban Loaiza, C.J. Nitkowski, Carl Pavano, Tim Redding, Darrell May, Alan Embree, Mike Myers, Kevin Brown, LaTroy Hawkins, Kyle Farnsworth, Scott Erickson and, oh........ I gave a one contract to Octavio Dotel for TWO MILLION, just to rehab his arm from TJ surgery, knowing he'd be lame for most, if not the entire season, but didn't want to offer him a contract for the following year, when he would be healthier and ready to pitch."
    Dude, Mike Myers pitched well for us.

Thread Information