+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 578 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 61 111 511 ... LastLast
    Addicted Member

Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

The issue here is not the trade for Granderson. The issue is the trade for Vasquez. Vasquez was never a stellar AL pitcher and clearly has issues pitching in NY. It may only be a small sample size this year, but we need to look at his last go around here, as well. Trading Viz for this mess is a trade that we will regret as much or more than when the Yanks traded Mike Lowell for Ed Yarnall and Todd Noel.

Finally had to change avatars NYYRules#1's Avatar
    Bronx, NY (Home of the Yanks!)/Trumbull, CT

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko
    I understand but have no respect for a guy who's sole talent is confusing a pitcher into walking him and don't care for him on my team. I don't give a crap about his OBP, call it personal preference but I pay to go watch players hit
    That would matter if it Cashman made moves based on what you pay to see, as opposed to what best helps the team to win.

BTW, if you like hits so much, the guy's a lifetime .270 hitter. 123 OPS+ on his career, which is a stat that underrates his biggest ability.
    27-TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS

Also, Vazquez's problems have nothing to do with being in the AL or in New York, and everything to do with the fact that he's lost 3 MPH and a ton of movement from last year (and before).
    27-TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NYYRules#1
    Also, Vazquez's problems have nothing to do with being in the AL or in New York, and everything to do with the fact that he's lost 3 MPH and a ton of movement from last year (and before).
    Yeah, Javy just hasn't been the same pitcher. He's lost his fastball and his command is non-existent. It has nothing to do with switching leagues or pitching in NY. The guy just needs to figure out why he's forgotten how to pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by YESSIR!
    Yeah, Javy just hasn't been the same pitcher. He's lost his fastball and his command is non-existent. It has nothing to do with switching leagues or pitching in NY. The guy just needs to figure out why he's forgotten how to pitch.
    If this is truly the case, then he should be transplanted to the bullpen where he can work on it. It did wonders for Joba. Sending him out their every fifth day to get pounded isn't doing anything for his confidence. Its only compounding the problem.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by murpjf88
    If this is truly the case, then he should be transplanted to the bullpen where he can work on it. It did wonders for Joba. Sending him out their every fifth day to get pounded isn't doing anything for his confidence. Its only compounding the problem.
    What is he going to figure out in the bullpen that he can't figure out in the rotation? The guy has never pitched out of the pen, and asking him to do so seems foolish at this point. He needs to get it going as a starter, or hit the DL if something is wrong physically.

Devoted Member

Well, this thread is a predictable snowstorm of overreaction and short-sighted bull................, specifically from posters who rarely post. As if the streaks in baseball is an anomaly and everybody does great the whole season. I guess Andrew Jones and Vernon Wells are back to being stars and big producers in this league as well....Let the guys finish a season before making a determination.
    Congratulations and thank you for number 27, Yankees !!!!!!!!!!!!!. 1 game at a time to 28. C'mon, Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by YESSIR!
    What is he going to figure out in the bullpen that he can't figure out in the rotation? The guy has never pitched out of the pen, and asking him to do so seems foolish at this point. He needs to get it going as a starter, or hit the DL if something is wrong physically.
    I may be mistaken, but wasn't Joba a starter in the minors before joining the yanks? I'm not saying as a long term solution, if its mechanics, you can either skip him in the rotation or put him in the bullpen so he can work on it. In the meantime Mitre can become the fifth starter in the rotation and Javy can be the long man. I don't see how sending him out there to get booed every fifth start will do anything for his confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by murpjf88
    I may be mistaken, but wasn't Joba a starter in the minors before joining the yanks? I'm not saying as a long term solution, if its mechanics, you can either skip him in the rotation or put him in the bullpen so he can work on it. In the meantime Mitre can become the fifth starter in the rotation and Javy can be the long man. I don't see how sending him out there to get booed every fifth start will do anything for his confidence.
    Yes, Joba was. Difference is, he had no mechanical issues, and was pitching spectacularly in the minors. But they had to keep his innings down and wanted someone to take Farnsworth's 8th inning spot in the majors, so they put him in the pen.

Putting Javy in the pen won't help his issues much. Sporadic work in a role which is completely foreign to him won't help him fix his mechanics.
    27-TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS

Quote Originally Posted by NYYRules#1
    Yes, Joba was. Difference is, he had no mechanical issues, and was pitching spectacularly in the minors. But they had to keep his innings down and wanted someone to take Farnsworth's 8th inning spot in the majors, so they put him in the pen.

Putting Javy in the pen won't help his issues much. Sporadic work in a role which is completely foreign to him won't help him fix his mechanics.
    I see what your saying about Javy. But Joba did have mechanical issues in the latter part of '09 which prompted Joe to put him in the bullpen. Maybe Joba was used to his role in the bullpen and could easily adapt to his role in the pen which made the transition easier.

there's levels to this! ARoDfan4life's Avatar

Right now the only good thing I can say is we have a LHP that can top out at 97 mph and a Robinson Cano w/ more fire for Melky Cabrera.
    "I wish the Yankees had a GM"

Addicted Member

I understand but have no respect for a guy who's sole talent is confusing a pitcher into walking him and don't care for him on my team. I don't give a crap about his OBP, call it personal preference but I pay to go watch players hit
    I like most people pay to see the Yankees win, I don't care how they do it. The fact is OBP helps a team offensively and therefore helps the team win, making me and most fans happy.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    Welcome to overreaction central.
    shut up. starting the year 15-8 is clearly not good enough. both cashman and girardi should be fired. cashman, because giving up a bunch of unproven minor leaguers plus some average major league guys for a premium centre-fielder and an above average rotation innings eater is was a bad move. then refusing to over-pay for a guy and choosing a cheaper option was just plain stupid. my god, we should have fired him when we lost to boston on opening day. girardi should go because he is trying to spread the 'pen work around on a day when his starter goes less than four innings. what the hell was he thinking. he should pick three relievers and used them everyday just the guy before him.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

I just heard the Tigers have already retired Austin Jackson's number. Due to his hot start, he's clearly the greatest player in the history of their franchise. Sorry Al Kaline and Ty Cobb....you got nothing on AJax.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

In related news, government authorities have produced indisputable evidence that Brian Cashman is solely responsible for the oil slick now threatening the Gulf Coast and even the east coast of Florida. "If only the Yanks had held on to AJ," says assistant FEMA director Nat Sponge, "none of this would have happened."
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Released Outright Dexter Morgan's Avatar

Matsui over Johnson... can that move look any worse?

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan
    Yes, if Nick had season ending surgery.

I am not exactly pissed. These are things one can't really predict. Nick here before was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by genius-24
    Yes, if Nick had season ending surgery.

I am not exactly pissed. These are things one can't really predict. Nick here before was awesome.
    Not to mention it's day two of May. If Matsui's knees go out and NJ goes on a tear and ends the season with a great line, things will look totally different.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by justtxyank
    Not to mention it's day two of May. If Matsui's knees go out and NJ goes on a tear and ends the season with a great line, things will look totally different.
    Exactly sir.

Let's be glad Cash is our GM. Rather then looking at the small moves, look at the big moves. CC, AJ, Andy, Teix...................ing great moves man. Ignorant will just say well, he had George's cheque book. But we know it was never that simple.

I mean there ought to be some bad ones too...Javy for example. But that move won't matter. Because come playoff time, he probably at best will be our fourth starter (assuming everyone is healthy).

Who could have thought this was going to happen? From sub 2 to sub 9 ERA? Serioulsy?

When these moves were made...everyone was ecstatic. Even Red Sox fans were saying, "highway robbery".

I think what cash really needs to do is fire Eiland.

Oh yeah that's what I aim for in life, to be a paper weight so other guys can drive me home. Like I said, completely useless.
    I feel bad because this went so (repeatedly) unnoticed.

At least i think I feel bad for you because I am 98.qetiuqpoeut% sure that was sarcasm.

I can be very critical of Cashman at times. However, I am more than willing to admit that he was correct to bypass dealing for Santana in '08, and keeping Hughes, and I was totally off-base. Santana, while still a very good pitcher, already appears to have diminished stuff in year three of his contract. Hughes' star is clearly on the rise, and he has looked like a budding ace thus far in 2010. If we had Santana, we would not have CC, and the rotation would probably have been weaker overall.

If CC, AJ, Pettitte, and Hughes continue to pitch as they have, the Yankees will be extremely difficult to beat in 2010. We just have to do something with Javy, because this can't continue.

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan
    au contraire, besides it not really making sense to pronounce judgment a month into the season, i think there is every reason to see this as a very solid, if not outright excellent move:

-- the move allowed cano to move up to the #5 spot, big payoff
    -- the move, by filling damon's #2 slot with nick, paved the way for brett in LF, big payoff
    -- matsui is playing well -- this is basically what he'll give the angels, subject to his knees
    -- nick has really sucked and still has added value; his BABIP is as low as ajax's is inflated, so you can expect those numbers to ramp up. also, his really high K rates lead me to think he's not seeing the ball or some adjustment is needed -- i don't think he's washed up at 31 .........

also, there was no way in the real world we were going to get matsui, having tabbed damon the priority and given how quickly hideki signed. unless you think it would have made sense for cashman to vastly overpay for damon, then lock up matsui, and not worry about how old and slow your team has gotten ...........

Quote Originally Posted by justtxyank
    And one should keep in mind that the probability of Matsui getting injured, or of his knees posing a significant problem to his ability to produce, is considerably higher than that of NJ. Unlike NJ, Matsui has a nagging injury which is only getting worse with time.
    27-TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS

Quote Originally Posted by bomber999
    I can be very critical of Cashman at times. However, I am more than willing to admit that he was correct to bypass dealing for Santana in '08, and keeping Hughes, and I was totally off-base. Santana, while still a very good pitcher, already appears to have diminished stuff in year three of his contract. Hughes' star is clearly on the rise, and he has looked like a budding ace thus far in 2010. If we had Santana, we would not have CC, and the rotation would probably have been weaker overall.

If CC, AJ, Pettitte, and Hughes continue to pitch as they have, the Yankees will be extremely difficult to beat in 2010. We just have to do something with Javy, because this can't continue.
    can you imagine what this place would be like now had he made that trade? i said all along that there is no way he should have done it. while johan was obviously a an outstanding pitcher, there were already reports that his stuff wasn't quite the same. the right move was made. as for the rotation going forward, i didn't believe that andy would be back next year but it wouldn't at all surprise me if he did pitch another year.

Quote Originally Posted by JSG
    au contraire, besides it not really making sense to pronounce judgment a month into the season, i think there is every reason to see this as a very solid, if not outright excellent move:

-- the move allowed cano to move up to the #5 spot, big payoff
    -- the move, by filling damon's #2 slot with nick, paved the way for brett in LF, big payoff
    -- matsui is playing well -- this is basically what he'll give the angels, subject to his knees
    -- nick has really sucked and still has added value; his BABIP is as low as ajax's is inflated, so you can expect those numbers to ramp up. also, his really high K rates lead me to think he's not seeing the ball or some adjustment is needed -- i don't think he's washed up at 31 .........

also, there was no way in the real world we were going to get matsui, having tabbed damon the priority and given how quickly hideki signed. unless you think it would have made sense for cashman to vastly overpay for damon, then lock up matsui, and not worry about how old and slow your team has gotten ...........
    well said, very well said.

Thread Information