+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 575 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 54 104 504 ... LastLast

Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84
    Excellent interview. Regarding Reed Johnson, he makes it like he signed Winn instead of Reed when Reed could have been had for virtually the same contract as Thames.
    Thames has a minor league contract though while Johnson signed for a ML contract with the Dodgers.

Quote Originally Posted by JavyVazquezIsSick
    Wow. Didn't think anyone was going to take the bait.
    I really should have known better. If only he had more time...

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston
    Perhaps, but there are still huge questions about whether he'll ever really be able to handle C at the major league level.
    Then trade him for some super prospect like Jason Heyward.

Pipe dreaming at 5am with a hangover is fun.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962
    Thames has a minor league contract though while Johnson signed for a ML contract with the Dodgers.
    I think it's a virtual lock that Thames makes the team (I knew someone would point out the ML contract, that's why I wrote "virtually the same contract").

Perhaps, but there are still huge questions about whether he'll ever really be able to handle C at the major league level.
    i understand that. but both derek and alex are gonna need the DH spot over the next few years.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

I think it's a virtual lock that Thames makes the team (I knew someone would point out the ML contract, that's why I wrote "virtually the same contract").
    I'm not so sure about that.

NYYF Legend

I'm not so sure about that.
    Really? Why do you think that? They need RH power off the bench and Winn can do anything Hoffmann would have given us, so they're redundant.

Really? Why do you think that? They need RH power off the bench and Winn can do anything Hoffmann would have given, us so they're redundant.
    Because I think it's still a possibility that Hoffman sticks and not Thames.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Because I think it's still a possibility that Hoffman sticks and not Thames.
    I have to go with the guy in the skinny jeans on this one. As long as Thames looks like he can contribute during ST, I think they'll take the right-handed power bat over another good defensive OF.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

I'd give it a 2% chance, and for the reason I stated above that you disregarded. I don't see how Hoffmann makes the team when Winn can do anything Hoffmann can do and Thames is a proven LHP smasher, something Hoffmann is clearly not at this point.

I have to go with the guy in the skinny jeans on this one. As long as Thames looks like he can contribute during ST, I think they'll take the right-handed power bat over another good defensive OF.
    That remains to be seen which is why I'm not ready to concede that Thames will contribute in ST.

NYYF Legend

It's just a myth.

I'd give it a 2% chance, and for the reason I stated above that you disregarded. I don't see how Hoffmann makes the team when Winn can do anything Hoffmann can do and Thames is a proven LHP smasher, something Hoffmann is clearly not at this point.
    Actually, I disregard much of what you say here.

Released Outright JavyVazquezIsSick's Avatar

That remains to be seen which is why I'm not ready to concede that Thames will contribute in ST.
    What remains to be seen? One guy has proven to be able to hit LHP off major league pitching and one guy hasn't. Whatever occurs in Spring Training shouldn't change that.

NYYF Legend

I love when grumpy old men make as*hole comments and then try to offset it with a wink face.

Devoted Member

Hoffman will be returned to LA

Quote Originally Posted by Vazquez
    Hoffman will be returned to LA
    That's a distinct possibility.

probably though i still believe that thames minor league contract may keep him in scranton to start the year.

Quote Originally Posted by R.V.47
    Eventually Hughes and Joba gotta take the reigns and be in this rotation together full time. Hughes and Joba should replace Pettitte and Vazquez and the remaining spot should go to someone from next years FA class.
    Joba and Phil should be the #4 and #5 starters in 2011. If Andy retires as expected, and Vazquez has the solid year I expect of him, he will be resigned and move up to the #3. If Vazquez disappoints, then expect the Yankees to go after a big FA, which could very well be Cliff Lee, if he doesn't get too greedy with contract length. In that scenario, Lee moves in as #2 with AJ dropping down to #3. Either way, the Yankees should have an awesome rotation and will need to dip into FA only if one of their current stud starters falls apart. Cashman has done a truly superb job in assembling the rotation. Now all they have to do is perform.

really don't like ther idea of having lee through the ages of 32-37.

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21
    really don't like ther idea of having lee through the ages of 32-37.
    I am hoping and expecting the 2009 rotation to perform such that we will not be in the Cliff Lee market.

Reasonable 2009 expectations:
    CC - 20 wins
    AJ - 18 wins
    Andy - ? but retiring
    Javy - 16 wins
    Joba - 12 wins

Everyone moves up in 2011 and we bring Phil in as the 5th starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Slocum
    I am hoping and expecting the 2009 rotation to perform such that we will not be in the Cliff Lee market.

Reasonable 2009 expectations:
    CC - 20 wins
    AJ - 18 wins
    Andy - ? but retiring
    Javy - 16 wins
    Joba - 12 wins

Everyone moves up in 2011 and we bring Phil in as the 5th starter.
    me too. i suspect that andy will retire after 2010 but if all goes well, hughes and joba should both be in place. bring back javy on arbitration. the younger guys will be a bit closer, and i'm sure we'll find some other 6th-8th starters for our depth chart.

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21
    me too. i suspect that andy will retire after 2010 but if all goes well, hughes and joba should both be in place. bring back javy on arbitration. the younger guys will be a bit closer, and i'm sure we'll find some other 6th-8th starters for our depth chart.
    Right. I think our farm system is sufficiently stocked that we should be able to develop our own SP depth going forward, as well as replacing Javy and eventually AJ when they retire.

Cash needs to focus on developing position players in our system so he can do the same thing there. The big FA signings need to be limited to last resort measures where our young players do not develop. When you think about it, it was the failure of Joba/Phil/Ian in 2008 that forced Cash to dip into the FA well in 2009. But that is a very expensive way to go.

Jesus will be ready to replace Jorge as early as 2011. But there will probably be a shared deal for a year...isn't 2011 the last year of Jorge's contract? Humph, what a coinsidence...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Slocum
    Right. I think our farm system is sufficiently stocked that we should be able to develop our own SP depth going forward, as well as replacing Javy and eventually AJ when they retire.

Cash needs to focus on developing position players in our system so he can do the same thing there. The big FA signings need to be limited to last resort measures where our young players do not develop. When you think about it, it was the failure of Joba/Phil/Ian in 2008 that forced Cash to dip into the FA well in 2009. But that is a very expensive way to go.

Jesus will be ready to replace Jorge as early as 2011. But there will probably be a shared deal for a year...isn't 2011 the last year of Jorge's contract? Humph, what a coinsidence...
    i totally agree. very few really good players are becoming available in the late 20s as free agents. with the pitchers we have at all levels (uncluding the majors) i'm hoping we can deal with most things over the next five years. montero is obviously the start of developing position players, along with the other young catchers. and we'll need those young, cheap players as we have a handful of older players earning huge amounts.

NYYF Legend

It's just a myth.
    so then why did you email this to me, asking me for my opinion?

help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Thread Information