+ Reply to Thread
Page 406 of 519 FirstFirst ... 306 356 396 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 416 456 506 ... LastLast
Results 10,126 to 10,150 of 12961

Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    So tell me what Thurman would do or did do that Martin would not do to demonstrate toughness or competitiveness? I think all of this "league-of-his-own-in-toughness" is a myth, created by his success as a hitter and his tragic, untimely death.

I should say I didn't grow up watching Munson play. I watched him as an adult and mourned his death as an adult. He was pretty much my contemporary, so his death was a particular shock. But I did not look up to him as a super human, the way I looked up to Mickey, for instance, whom I watched as a kid.
    To me, it's not about Munson's hitting at all. In fact, my memory of Thurman's hitting prowess is always accompanied by the memory of how greatly diminished he was by the time he died. His batting average had declined some, and his power had completely disappeared. He had never taken many walks, and he had become a singles hitter who ran like a catcher and hit into a ton of GIDPs.

It was more about his catching, and how proud he was about it, and how personally he took everything having to do with it. It ranged from the offense he took at the comparisons with Bench (Anderson was right) and Fisk (who was a little better), to his going out in front of the plate to yell at pitchers who dared to shake him off. He took complete control out there, and he wasn't just intense, he was pissed off about it most of the time, which made him push himself and his teammates even harder.

I like Martin, but I don't see that level of competitiveness - that taking it personally - in him. I see him as being a good defensive catcher, certainly more willing to take a hit than Posada, but not outstandingly more tough or competitive than other good defensive catchers.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Well, and if Thurman had an arm like Martin. They're different players who both played the same position.
    Yeah, Munson's arm wasn't as good as he thought it was. Sometimes he'd try to rush his throws, and his arm would drop down a bit. That would make his throws break about three feet away from the bag and sail into right field. It was a pretty amazing 3/4 sidearm breaking pitch.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yeah, Munson's arm wasn't as good as he thought it was. Sometimes he'd try to rush his throws, and his arm would drop down a bit. That would make his throws break about three feet away from the bag and sail into right field. It was a pretty amazing 3/4 sidearm breaking pitch.
    Munson had a gun when he first came up, but hurt his shoulder mid-career that caused him to side arm the ball.
    Please fire Cashman, so some Yankee fans can have hope again.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Munson had a gun when he first came up, but hurt his shoulder mid-career that caused him to side arm the ball.

That is correct. In 1971 Munson made just one error and that was for dropping the ball because of a collision at home plate in a game at Baltimore.

I believe he hurt his shoulder during a spring training game in 1974 or 75.

Cash,

What you do with Hughes and Nova will depend on their results in the coming months, but for God's sake, get rid of Eppley and Rapada because they're simply terrible, now and forever.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Cash,

What you do with Hughes and Nova will depend on their results in the coming months, but for God's sake, get rid of Eppley and Rapada because they're simply terrible, now and forever.
    there's so much garbage on the 40 man roster, it's frightening
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    Well, you can say that about every team's 40 man roster.

NYYF Legend

the injuries to mo and d-rob are killing their depth, but there are at least some quick fixes to the roster that cashman should be exploring, imo... i agree that eppley and rapada shouldn't be on this team, and that whelan and mitchell should be given shots (at this point, whelan doesn't have much left to prove in AAA and his control has improved, while mitchell has shown aptitude in pitching at the ML level already)
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    Yet for some reason Quintana wasn't able to be put on the 40 man. Makes no sense.

NYYF MVP

Posted this in a thread in inside the lines but obviously has its place here...

The Yankees are 20-4 since Cashman addressed the team on May 22nd.

Tweets from by Jack Curry from that day.

Jack Curry ‏@JackCurryYES
    Not often that Cashman addresses team. He visited Atlanta in June of 2009 because he didn't like way team was playing. Now last nights mtg.
    Jack Curry ‏@JackCurryYES
    Cashman told players it wasn't a panic meeting. The GM and Girardi reminded players that they believe in them and their ability 2 rebound
    As mentioned in the Curry tweet the last time Cashman did something similar was in 2009 in Atlanta and the Yankees never looked back after that.

Obviously the team has won because of the players on the team preforming but interesting nonetheless that after Cashman and Girardi reinforced that they have the talent to do better after starting off pretty mediocre they have been 20-4.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NYCrusader View Post
    Posted this in a thread in inside the lines but obviously has its place here...

The Yankees are 20-4 since Cashman addressed the team on May 22nd.

Tweets from by Jack Curry from that day.

As mentioned in the Curry tweet the last time Cashman did something similar was in 2009 in Atlanta and the Yankees never looked back after that.

Obviously the team has won because of the players on the team preforming but interesting nonetheless that after Cashman and Girardi reinforced that they have the talent to do better after starting off pretty mediocre they have been 20-4.

Cash should talk to them every month.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Lou!!!
    Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    They lost today. He should hold a meeting tomorrow before the game
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    I feel like he's become a stats-nerd that actually watches games, which is EXACTLY what you want. Something like 80% stats, 20% experience.
    Sounds wildly out of balance to me. Semi-amateurs (20 percenters) would run the show.

Chad Qualls? really? Cashman cant do ANY better then this?

Chavez and Jones have been excellent. Rapada and Eppley are capable of imploding any minute, but they've been fairly good. Qualls and McDonald were just...awkward moves.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Chad Qualls? really? Cashman cant do ANY better then this?
    One poor outing does not a season make and this outing wasn't as bad as his line indicates.

My only problem with him is his inability to get lefties out essentially making him a ROOGY.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Why does the second tier of the pen feature soft tossing righties when it seems so many teams have power arms to spare?
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

NYYF Legend

Still vaguely recall some bitching and moaning when Cash signed Ibanez.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey View Post
    In fairness, there's bitching and moaning about everything here.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

I loved the signing, everyone else wanted either Matsui, Damon or Guerrero when Ibanez was stinking it up in Spring Training.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NYYankeesFan92 View Post
    I loved the signing, everyone else wanted either Matsui, Damon or Guerrero when Ibanez was stinking it up in Spring Training.
    I don't. Womack and Crosby taught me that ST stats couldn't be trusted.

He had a 98 OPS+ entering the game. He also put up this line in June: .162/.250/.265/.515

He was great in May and passable in April, but the dude is 40 and hasn't really ever had any OBP skills. It wasn't a terrible signing, but it wasn't a good one either; probably somewhere in the middle.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    He had a 98 OPS+ entering the game. He also put up this line in June: .162/.250/.265/.515

He was great in May and passable in April, but the dude is 40 and hasn't really ever had any OBP skills. It wasn't a terrible signing, but it wasn't a good one either; probably somewhere in the middle.
    Im sure he has earned that 1.5 mil he was signed for and compared to the other options, he is looking very good.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post

He was signed simply to be a the LF DH against RHB on a 1 year deal for the 1.5 million mentioned above.

Think about that for a second.

If you think that type of signing when you include contract, years and performance was just meh then I really don't know what to tell you.

The executives around the game most definitely would think it was a great signing.

Executives live for these type of 1 year deals at the this type of cost.

Thread Information