+ Reply to Thread
Page 399 of 564 FirstFirst ... 299 349 389 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 409 449 499 ... LastLast
Results 9,951 to 9,975 of 14099

Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by eaganmafia View Post
    6-8 year deals are a necessary evil of this game, they suck on the backend and you just pray you get enough value in the first 4-5 years to balance it out. The Yankees aren’t gonna develop players like the Rays so spending it what’s gonna keep them at the top.
    Spending it part of the game and part of the advantage the Yankees have over every club.
    I agree with this. I'm confident the Yankees fullly expect to have to swallow a few years of decline from CC on his current deal. But as long as they get a few more years of ace-like production, it's well worth it.

A-Rod's contract was just dumb for a myriad of reasons. Tex' deal wasn't. While I'm sure many GMs would have anticipated a decline in year 6/7/8 or so, I doubt anyone expected a sharp decline starting in '10 and sustaining into '12. Dude needs to pull it together. I think I agree with a post made earlier... they need to do what Granderson did in '10... take a few days, treat whatever illness you have, work on your LH swing with Long and hopefully come back with a healthy body and a more reliable swing and situational approach.

Quote Originally Posted by K-W View Post
    As a rich team you can afford to take on financial risks. The Yankees have taken on too many but that doesn't mean they shouldn't ever take a risk again.

If you take risks on guys like Teix you will be rewarded more often than not. A-Rod is an entirely different story in so many ways but is a terrible contract. Moderate risks like Teix wouldn't be an issue at all with our payroll if we weren't intentionally overpaying other players because of their star power.
    You do realize that we are paying Teixeira $22.5M and will be doing so for another four years of potential horrible production, not to mention his anemic post season numbers. I wouldn't call that a moderate risk by any stretch.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    You do realize that we are paying Teixeira $22.5M and will be doing so for another four years of potential horrible production, not to mention his anemic post season numbers. I wouldn't call that a moderate risk by any stretch.
    I'd call Teix's contract a moderate risk, he had a awesome body of work for his career when he signed and I don't think anyone saw his decline coming so quickly.

Breaking news anytime you give anyone 100+ million it's a risk, but that's the deep end of the pool the Yankees need to play in to compete.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

I also agree that Tex was only a moderate risk, given his body of work at the time. In fact, I'd call it a good risk. He was a young switch hitting stud first baseman with superior defense, excellent power, and a very respectable BA and OBP.

Living in Red Sox territory, I even remember the sports talk shows comparing his offense to a younger version of Manny, hoping and expecting to sign him as a free agent. Cashman swooping in and signing him at the last minute was a spectacular coup. What has happened since is entirely on Tex. It was not a bad risk or a bad move at all. It's simply a case of the bottom falling out with a player who was expected to simply deliver his career average production.

I hate jumping to conclusions, but who knew he would turn out to be a lemon? And so soon?
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by K-W View Post
    As a rich team you can afford to take on financial risks. The Yankees have taken on too many but that doesn't mean they shouldn't ever take a risk again.
    Does anybody know how "rich" the Yankees really are nowadays, with that stadium on the books? I can see that maybe Hal is more legitimately cautious than his father was, but maybe we don't know all there is to know about the team's bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    Does anybody know how "rich" the Yankees really are nowadays, with that stadium on the books? I can see that maybe Hal is more legitimately cautious than his father was, but maybe we don't know all there is to know about the team's bottom line.
    The Stadium definitely costs them money, but the costs are at least mitigated somewhat by the way it was financed, reduced revenue-sharing payments, and increased revenue from the concessions.

Meanwhile, the bottom line isn't really the Yankees ballclub but Yankees Global Enterprises, which includes the staggeringly profitable YES network. In order to keep YES that profitable, I believe they should be more concerned with the team's on-field success than its payroll. The team can afford to lose some money without significant effect on YGE's bottom line.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    To me, Tex is nothing but a glove. Fielding is the only thing he can do consistently since he takes entire months off at the plate. And yeah, you can't possibly expect him to contribute any offense in the post season unless the Yanks are fortunate to get a 8+ run lead.
    I LOVE New York!!!
    VIVE LA FRANCE!!!

NYYF Cy Young

If I were Cashman, I'd be really mad at Tex. This guy had been so unproductive, its mind blowingly disgusting. I think Bud Selig should step in and rescind this contract.
    There has to be some way to get this guy to go away or retire. Drug him and get him to retire. This guy makes my blood boil.
    “He’s one of those guys you dream about at night, you know? Not in a good way, in a bad way.” ............Damon on AJ .

Mystique , Aura and Kate Hudson .

I wonder if the Yankees don't make the playoffs for the second time in five seasons, which is very realistic, or even finish in last place, a possibility, if Cashman and his handpicked manager are in trouble.
    The team hopefully is at rockbottom now and needs a spark somewhere. George in his prime would probably be very vocal here, but Hal doesn't have that in him. Not having O'Neill or Posada's fire in that clubhouse hurts and even Rivera's leadership and grace are missing now too.

The 2012 Yanks are a flawed and unlucky team despite the highest payroll and expectations in the game. I wonder if Montero's bat could've helped the lagging offense at all. Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Torre Must Go View Post
    The 2012 Yanks are a flawed and unlucky team despite the highest payroll and expectations in the game. I wonder if Montero's bat could've helped the lagging offense at all. Too bad.
    Montero isn't doing all that well so far for the M's. But maybe he's a bit down at not being in NY. Anyone hear Singleton the other day saying that Montero was hanging around the Yanks during bp, gushing over the Stadium, and going on about how much more exciting NY was than Seattle? It seemed strange.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    The Stadium definitely costs them money, but the costs are at least mitigated somewhat by the way it was financed, reduced revenue-sharing payments, and increased revenue from the concessions.

Meanwhile, the bottom line isn't really the Yankees ballclub but Yankees Global Enterprises, which includes the staggeringly profitable YES network. In order to keep YES that profitable, I believe they should be more concerned with the team's on-field success than its payroll. The team can afford to lose some money without significant effect on YGE's bottom line.
    that'll be the tell- if we finish poorly this year do they still stick to the "under 189M " goal

I think it's be suicidal- penny wise and pound foolish and we'd suffer at the gate and with YES ratings

It seemslike other teams are able to keep thier own developed players due to increased TV revenues via their own local networks

I wonder if there's a way for us to cash in on our international stature?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

I wonder if the Yankees don't make the playoffs for the second time in five seasons, which is very realistic, or even finish in last place, a possibility, if Cashman and his handpicked manager are in trouble.
    The team hopefully is at rockbottom now and needs a spark somewhere. George in his prime would probably be very vocal here, but Hal doesn't have that in him. Not having O'Neill or Posada's fire in that clubhouse hurts and even Rivera's leadership and grace are missing now too.

I don't think Cashman is going anywhere regardless of how this season ends. While I'm not a fan of his baseball acumen, I am a fan of his political skills. Cashman has established a great relationship with many in the media and they have his back. He's also established a strong relationship with Hal Steinbrenner, which is the most important relationship of all. Also, there isn't an obvious in house replacement should they decide to make a change. Look for a coach or two to take the initial hit (Kevin Long?) with Giradi on a short lease going into next season.

If Cashman had the, uh, intestinal fortitude, and if he were really in charge on strategic direction, this would be a great year to cut the losses and reshape the roster. If they could split the difference on Tex, for example, with the Dodgers, they could save themselves a lot problems going forward. Similarly, if they could figure out of A-Rod's contract, they should.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    If Cashman had the, uh, intestinal fortitude, and if he were really in charge on strategic direction, this would be a great year to cut the losses and reshape the roster. If they could split the difference on Tex, for example, with the Dodgers, they could save themselves a lot problems going forward. Similarly, if they could figure out of A-Rod's contract, they should.
    Won't happen (because I know it breaks your heart)

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    Unless Tex starts to find himself, I don't see any reason why the Dodgers would be interested in him, even at a 50% discount, regardless of anyone's intestinal fortitude.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Unless Tex starts to find himself, I don't see any reason why the Dodgers would be interested in him, even at a 50% discount, regardless of anyone's intestinal fortitude.
    Tex also has a full NTC.

Unless Tex waives his full NTC (which really won't happen), we're stuck with him.

Same with A-Rod.

You just better hope A-Rod and Tex both pull an Eli Manning and try to win one or two more world titles.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    I don't think Cashman is going anywhere regardless of how this season ends. While I'm not a fan of his baseball acumen, I am a fan of his political skills. Cashman has established a great relationship with many in the media and they have his back. He's also established a strong relationship with Hal Steinbrenner, which is the most important relationship of all. Also, there isn't an obvious in house replacement should they decide to make a change. Look for a coach or two to take the initial hit (Kevin Long?) with Giradi on a short lease going into next season.
    Agree 100%, Cashman is here for a long time. If the Yankees are still in the dumps after the all star break, Kevin Long is toast. If the Yankees fail to make the playoffs, Girardi is also gone.

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    that'll be the tell- if we finish poorly this year do they still stick to the "under 189M " goal

I think it's be suicidal- penny wise and pound foolish and we'd suffer at the gate and with YES ratings
    I think the Yankees have put themselves into a jam. Revenue is declining and it's going to be a vicious cycle if the team continues to underperform. Less people will shell out top dollar and the Yankees will be less willing to risk a high payroll, which will hurt the team and cause even lower revenues.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    Unless Tex waives his full NTC (which really won't happen), we're stuck with him.

Same with A-Rod.

You just better hope A-Rod and Tex both pull an Eli Manning and try to win one or two more world titles.
    As opposed to now, when they're actually trying to miss the playoffs.
    "Never, never, never quit."-Winston Churchill.

Yeah, I agree Cashman is safe due to his relationship with the Steinbrenner family and the media likes him because he actually talks, sometimes too much.

Of course I'd rather have the GM here be a jerk to the media but make better trades and signings, especially when it comes to acquiring starting pitchers, if I could choose only one.

And it's early but Kuroda looks like another failed starter Cashman has brought here from another team. We can't even include Pineda to that list considering he has to throw an official pitch here first.

NYYF MVP

Yeah, I agree Cashman is safe due to his relationship with the Steinbrenner family and the media likes him because he actually talks, sometimes too much.

Of course I'd rather have the GM here be a jerk to the media but make better trades and signings, especially when it comes to acquiring starting pitchers, if I could choose only one.

And it's early but Kuroda looks like another failed starter Cashman has brought here from another team. We can't even include Pineda to that list considering he has to throw an official pitch here first.
    He for the most part acquired pitchers who were highly valued by the entire league. You can't expect the GM to predict injuries better than doctors do.

It sure seems most pitchers Cashman brings in either get injured or are too old or are really NL pitchers and don't perform as well here compared to where they were before and after leaving the Yankees. I agree it's not Cashman's fault a guy like Pavano didn't want to pitch here and had injuries, but he did sign him for 4 years and got nothing from him. Same with Igawa, who was healthy but couldn't pitch here. It's not his fault Pineda went down for the season, but then you can't help but think what Montero's bat could've done for this bad offense now. Cashman is very unlucky when it comes to pitchers and I don't think he's done such a wonderful job with homegrown Joba and Hughes since 2007 either.

At least Cashman hit on Ibanez.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    Montero isn't doing all that well so far for the M's. But maybe he's a bit down at not being in NY. Anyone hear Singleton the other day saying that Montero was hanging around the Yanks during bp, gushing over the Stadium, and going on about how much more exciting NY was than Seattle? It seemed strange.
    IDK 105 OPS+, 6 HRs not the generaltion hitter out of the box some predicted but not too bad for a 22 year old.

He defense at C does seem to be every bit as bad as advertized though.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

I got ripped in another thread for this but I never liked the Kuroda signing. I have seen at least a half dozen of his starts the last few years and I never believed his stuff would translate to the American League. While there's certainly value in the innings he will provide, I think they could have gotten similiar performance from someone like Dave Phelps who makes the minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Agree 100%, Cashman is here for a long time. If the Yankees are still in the dumps after the all star break, Kevin Long is toast. If the Yankees fail to make the playoffs, Girardi is also gone.

I think the Yankees have put themselves into a jam. Revenue is declining and it's going to be a vicious cycle if the team continues to underperform. Less people will shell out top dollar and the Yankees will be less willing to risk a high payroll, which will hurt the team and cause even lower revenues.
    Good post.

Thread Information