+ Reply to Thread
Page 379 of 550 FirstFirst ... 279 329 369 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 389 429 479 ... LastLast
Results 9,451 to 9,475 of 13732

Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    so his production in his most recent season was SSS driven, but SSS is discounted for '08 and '09. I watched him play some last year, and he still looks to my non-professional eye like a guy who can get the bat around and abuse that short porch -even at 40. The fact that DH is generally easy to fill in a pinch, that this team has a good lefty masher in Jones and that they are also trying to reduce payroll is what makes him attractive in my opinion.

Sure, if they can get a young 3B at a reasonable cost and move A-Rod to DH that makes more sense but this scenario I proposed assumes that the Yankees still see A-Rod as their 3B. Which I believe they do.
    No to Giambi and Pena.

NYYF Legend

It is now time to cash in the Betances chip for a hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    No to Giambi and Pena.
    Yes to?

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Betances for Giambi????

Betances for Pujols.

GET IT DONE

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Betances for Giambi????
    I'm all for Giambi obviously, but not at that price.

so his production in his most recent season was SSS driven, but SSS is discounted for '08 and '09.
    Not discounted, but when living in SSS land, I put somewhat more weight on 2 than 1, especially when the 2 were at a younger age and the player in question is an old, steroid-ravaged player who just might not hold up under the weight of the workload that will be expected of him as a day-to-day DH vs. righties, which will encompass much more than 152 PA.

The fact that DH is generally easy to fill in a pinch, that this team has a good lefty masher in Jones and that they are also trying to reduce payroll is what makes him attractive in my opinion.
    This part is reasonable and I admit I would prefer Giambi to your previous candidate, Dunn, for just these reasons. G is far from the worst suggestion I've heard (Manny LOL), he's just not where I would start.

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    Carlos Pena and Wilson Betemit fit the bill. Depending on cost and where you want flexibility, I could live with either.

I prefer Carlos Pena because he is a defensive + at 1B and can work as insurance for Teix.
    Pena would be absolutely incredibly in a platoon with Jones. Even if the Yankees are willing to dish out the money, I imagine he will go to a team where he can be a full-time 1b.

Betemit is probably the best realistic option. He's a good hitter against righties and is better Arod insurance than Chavez or Nunez.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by spikeowenfan View Post
    Pena would be absolutely incredibly in a platoon with Jones. Even if the Yankees are willing to dish out the money, I imagine he will go to a team where he can be a full-time 1b.

Betemit is probably the best realistic option. He's a good hitter against righties and is better Arod insurance than Chavez or Nunez.

Why? Being a DH while making market value for a team that's the favorite to go to the WS should take a back-seat to playing 1b and making market value for a team that's NOT the favorite to go to the WS?

I hope he's not that dumb.

Why? Being a DH while making market value for a team that's the favorite to go to the WS should take a back-seat to playing 1b and making market value for a team that's NOT the favorite to go to the WS?

I hope he's not that dumb.
    Eric Hinske did it to play for the Pirates. Sometimes guys wanna play every day.

typical of your people to value money over everything else
    like delv, but better

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    Eric Hinske did it to play for the Pirates. Sometimes guys wanna play every day.

typical of your people to value money over everything else
    Hey, I said if money was equal! I was valuing winning over playing a position you desire in my post, nothing else.

NYYF MVP

Ethier would be cool. Probably too expensive, if they could find a way to move Soriano it would free up some $$s and give Hughes a role.

i think betances will improve his value this year
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by The Comic Book Guy View Post
    Ethier would be cool. Probably too expensive, if they could find a way to move Soriano it would free up some $$s and give Hughes a role.
    That entire scenario would be ideal.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    i think betances will improve his value this year
    If he does, the Yanks are in great shape.

If we're just talking money, why does the team being a favorite to go to the World Series matter? Even if he has a good year(s), it will be primarily as a platoon DH which will push down his perceived value. It will be more difficult for him to sell himself as a good defender who can hit lefties when teams haven't seen it for 1 or 2 seasons and he is in his mid 30s.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

$3.2M for Hughes?

I feel like we got ripped off
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

If he does, the Yanks are in great shape.
    tall dude needs more time, but yea imagine if betances flashes more consistency and show a legit #1 potential. yankees would have 3 to 4 #1, 2 types under 23 years old
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    tall dude needs more time, but yea imagine if betances flashes more consistency and show a legit #1 potential. yankees would have 3 to 4 #1, 2 types under 23 years old
    I would expect a stats guy like yourself to simply multiply the number of young pitching prospects the team has by the chance that any particular one will pan out to determine the expected number of "#1, 2 types" the Yankees will really have.

When people predict every one of these guys will be aces, and project rotations like CC / Pineda / Banuelos / Betances / Campos, that is just the absolute height of absurdity.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

it's just a matter of where you put that multiplier, since everything is commutative
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by spikeowenfan View Post
    If we're just talking money, why does the team being a favorite to go to the World Series matter? Even if he has a good year(s), it will be primarily as a platoon DH which will push down his perceived value. It will be more difficult for him to sell himself as a good defender who can hit lefties when teams haven't seen it for 1 or 2 seasons and he is in his mid 30s.
    He's 34 and has made his fair share of money. I figured he might, ya know, actually want to win a WS title in his career.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I would expect a stats guy like yourself to simply multiply the number of young pitching prospects the team has by the chance that any particular one will pan out to determine the expected number of "#1, 2 types" the Yankees will really have.

When people predict every one of these guys will be aces, and project rotations like CC / Pineda / Banuelos / Betances / Campos, that is just the absolute height of absurdity.
    Look no further than Hughes2.50 predicting the Royal Flush of: Wang, Joba, Hughes, Sanchez and Kennedy.

Look no further than Hughes2.50 predicting the Royal Flush of: Wang, Joba, Hughes, Sanchez and Kennedy.
    I think Dellin was one instead of Kennedy
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

whoa. keep in mind i still regard pineda as a big prospect. those are just ceilings.
    always reasonable

He's 34 and has made his fair share of money. I figured he might, ya know, actually want to win a WS title in his career.
    ah. when you said he would be dumb to go elsewhere I assumed you meant for financial reasons. Usually intelligence is only unfairly questioned in that context.

Assuming money is equal and future money is equal and team/city/family/league/ etc. is all equal, it wouldn't be that weird if he didn't put much stock in coming to a team for a year to be a part time player and maybe winning a world series. I mean the Yankees, even as favorites, are what like 15-20% to win it all? It's pretty easy to imagine him preferring to be a more integral part of a team (the Rays) that had a ~10% chance.

there's no real point to this post so I'll try to add something of substance. THe ideal DH, in my mind, is a LH with some flaws so they are cheap, but who can hit RH. If they can back up an infield position, that is a bonus. There are some good RH candidates out there, but I don't think they are worth pursuing since Jones and Arod are going to be sharing the position with whoever is signed. It would be nice to see Matsui or Damon back, but neither of them have much of a platoon split.

Thread Information