+ Reply to Thread
Page 352 of 523 FirstFirst ... 252 302 342 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 362 402 452 ... LastLast
Results 8,776 to 8,800 of 13059

Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    The Angels never got a chance to up their offer once Crawford and his agent got the Boston offer. I think that surprised the Angels.
    Heh. Kind of like the rest of baseball must have felt when Hoyer jumped at Theo's A-Gon offer.

Quote Originally Posted by K-W View Post
    Is this some kind of automatic reply? This conversation has been going on for over 6 hours. How did I run here exactly?

Meanwhile we just get another self-fulfilling prophecy. All you have to do is post an extreme criticism of him and anyone who thinks even remotely well of him will disagree. As it turns out, I think Cashman is an above average GM, nothing more. That is how consistently negative you are about him. Someone who moderately likes him is always finding your criticisms extreme.
    That's the reason why I have that person on "Ignore" as he keeps saying the same song and dance. I think Cashman is an above average GM too. He has plenty room to improve and he makes his share of mistakes. Hopefully, he learns from some of those mistakes and improves his decision-making. However, with that said, if a GM is not making mistakes then he's not doing enough to improve his ballclub. Nobody is perfect in that business.

Is this some kind of automatic reply? This conversation has been going on for over 6 hours. How did I run here exactly?

Meanwhile we just get another self-fulfilling prophecy. All you have to do is post an extreme criticism of him and anyone who thinks even remotely well of him will disagree. As it turns out, I think Cashman is an above average GM, nothing more. That is how consistently negative you are about him. Someone who moderately likes him is always finding your criticisms extreme.
    Please show me what I've ever said about Cashman that was extreme. "Extreme" might very well be subjective and your perception, especially if your antenna is up. And when you say "anyone" or someone", if you're actually referring to you and one other poster who's constantly coming to Cashman's defense at the slightest, mildest criticism, then just say so. It's basically like clockwork.

In the meantime, feel free to search the posts where I've said that he's probably their best choice for GM for next year and beyond.

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hellonewman View Post
    ........ I could swear I remember the Angels willing to go 6/$120 or something in that ballpark. Am I Clemens-style "misremembering"?
    that's how i misremember it too. and it did not shock me that the guy who took on the wells contract got outmaneuvered !!

The Angels never got a chance to up their offer once Crawford and his agent got the Boston offer. I think that surprised the Angels.
    it was a strange start to the offseason, kicked off by the gnats' big overpay for werth. i dunno but assumed that theo got tons of assurances that crawford wanted to play there and wouldn't shop the big fat offer if he met the number. i was more surprised that crawford wanted to step into that pressure cooker, where LAA big OF and speed game and more laid back vibe seemed a better fit for him.

Okay, folks. Let's keep the thread on topic and off one another, please.
    ~John

Yet, some of us have difficulty grasping that simple concept. Perhaps, their hatred for Cashman is clouding their sense of reasoning?
    I don't hate Cash at all. I hope he signs up for another three years but I see only negatives coming from his comments. And yeah I do believe stuff like this can motivate players.
    Plays the game the wrong way.

NYYF MVP

Both teams benefit from the rivalry and try to publicly play up the rivalry. Business as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigi Buffon View Post
    And yeah I do believe stuff like this can motivate players.
    In what way? I'm sure Crawford is OK with his price being driven up.

I don't understand the rationale.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Both teams benefit from the rivalry and try to publicly play up the rivalry. Business as usual.
    That's a reasonable explanation and possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigi Buffon View Post
    I don't hate Cash at all. I hope he signs up for another three years but I see only negatives coming from his comments. And yeah I do believe stuff like this can motivate players.
    I don't care if you love or hate Cashman because it's not important. However, how is it motivating players when nothing negative was said about the players?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    In what way? I'm sure Crawford is OK with his price being driven up.

I don't understand the rationale.
    Neither do I understand.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ring403 View Post
    Cashman's biggest accomplishment as Yankee G.M., in my opinion, was to see the writing on the wall years ago that the Yankees were approaching a point financially where they couldn't simply keep increasing payroll every year in order to field a competitive team.
    He pushed for a rebuilding of the minor league system as a long term solution, and has largely resisted disrupting that growth process by trading away the prize prospects of what is now one of the top ranked collections of talent, from top to bottom, in the league.
    Now the Yankees are in a tremendous position going forward, where they have a pipeline of impact-type players who are starting to make their way to the big club, and they can use the cost savings of these young players to land big free agents, as needed, to supplement areas of need. There really isn't another franchise in baseball that is sitting prettier than the Yankees are right now, and Cashman gets the lion's share of the credit for that.
    Great post. We tend to evaluate our GMs year-by-year ('had a good winter', 'had a bad winter' . . .), but really, their contributions should be measured in 5- and 10-year periods. That both goes for Cashman (2009-2011) and against him (2004-2008), but individual signings always have a lot of noise.

I can't say that I see the playoffs as a very good indicator of Cashman's qualities, though. It's not random, but it's very messy. Every team has questions about their rotation, even if it's just youth vs. experience, and every team has hitters that slump at times.

I'd argue at least 75% of the credit or blame for a season of quality should be determined by the end of September. The maximum number of games any team can have in the playoffs is 19; less than 1 month's worth of play. Is anyone going to argue that the Orioles have suddenly become the best team in baseball based on their last 19 games? Sample sizes too small; film at 11.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    Mayonnaise is a demanding master.

Why did he sign Proctor?

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Why did he sign Proctor?
    So he could lose last night's game so they can get to Tampa.

NYYF Legend

Why did he sign Proctor?
    Cash's way of saying thanks for going beyond the call of duty in his first stint here (paying him $352,675 for 102 relief innings in his last full season with us)

NYY luv for the cash man ........ http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...dy-levine-says

NYYF Legend

I always expected him to be back, and now i am more inclined to think it will get done soon after the season ends.

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    I always expected him to be back, and now i am more inclined to think it will get done soon after the season ends.
    we'll see, but i think both he and girardi are in for the long haul ....... a good thing IMO.

Why did he sign Proctor?
    Payback for the Soriano signing.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Why did he sign Proctor?
    anyone else throws meatballs like that and Bud will be on Girardi's case for tossing a game.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Signs Garcia, Colon, Martin to help win the division. Signs Proctor and eliminates Boston from the playoffs. Never question this man again.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Signs Garcia, Colon, Martin to help win the division. Signs Proctor and eliminates Boston from the playoffs. Never question this man again.
    Amen!

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    signs garcia, colon, martin to help win the division. Signs proctor and eliminates boston from the playoffs. Never question this man again.
    rotfl

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

The Mount Rushmore of Boston Killers:

Babe Ruth
    Bucky Dent
    Aaron Boone
    Scott Proctor

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Thread Information