+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 548 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 53 103 503 ... LastLast

Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21
    who? beckett? no thanks, besides he's gonna re-sign with the red sox. lee will be looking for a very long contract at the age of 32. again, no thanks - we have enough big, long contracts. webb might be an option but only if he were to take a shorter deal but i doubt that hapopens either.
    Webb would be my first choice because of the reasons you just mentioned. Lee should be an option even if he wants a 4 or 5 year deal. Him aging doesnt worry me as much as someone like Beckett. Hes not a power pitcher, his stuff shouldnt diminish that much over the course of the contract.
    If you listen to the fans you’ll be sitting with them soon enough.- Brian Cashman

Quote Originally Posted by JavyVazquezIsSick
    Webb or Wandy too.
    wandy rodriguez? good pitcher. is he a FA after 2010? he's not any of the lists i've seen.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by R.V.47
    Eventually Hughes and Joba gotta take the reigns and be in this rotation together full time. Hughes and Joba should replace Pettitte and Vazquez and the remaining spot should go to someone from next years FA class.
    What if Vazquez pitches well for us this season. Then he could be signed to replace Pettitte as the #3 starter. Cheaper than going after Lee.

NYYF Legend

Wow. Didn't think anyone was going to take the bait.
    Haha. He needed just a little bit more time to prove he is better than Cameron.

NYYF Legend

I was thinking about it the other day, the Yanks will have a very difficult time having a payroll of under $200M after this season (if that's in fact their goal, other than winning).

Pettitte, Vazquez, NJ and Winn will be coming off the books - totals out to around $31M. DJ will be mkaing around $20M going forward and Rivera can expect the same $15M he's been making. Granderson, Cano and Swisher will all be receiving raises. Basically, if the Yankees are planning on signing Lee next offseason, Crawford is out of the question unless they want their payroll to be above $210ish.

They could try something drastic like paying Jeter market value or a little above instead of silly legacy value. I know that is outrageous, but it might be worth exploring.

You are right though thebo.

As for Wandy Rodriguez, I think he is arb eligible after the season, not a FA. He's also a bit of an enigma that struggles with mechanics. I'd prefer Lee.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Jeter isn't getting $20M/yr unless he wants a 1 or 2 year deal.

Cashman should get an extra $7M-10M for the next 5 years for what Hank screwed up with Arod, and another $30M/yr for the rest of the contract.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84
    I was thinking about it the other day, the Yanks will have a very difficult time having a payroll of under $200M after this season (if that's in fact their goal, other than winning).

Pettitte, Vazquez, NJ and Winn will be coming off the books - totals out to around $31M. DJ will be mkaing around $20M going forward and Rivera can expect the same $15M he's been making. Granderson, Cano and Swisher will all be receiving raises. Basically, if the Yankees are planning on signing Lee next offseason, Crawford is out of the question unless they want their payroll to be above $210ish.
    exactly. plus joba, hughes, brett et al are only going to get more expensive from here out. it's more likely that our payrol will hit $210m than 190m.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2010/02/1...nsions-policy/

Lots of good stuff from Cash…….good for him.. He's not taking any guff from ffice:smarttags" />Boras and he's not allowing the Yanks to look bad when, in reality, it's lace w:st="on">Boraslace> and Damon who misplayed the whole thing. lace w:st="on">Boraslace> had better get used to the idea that he can't push Cashman around.

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketbooster
    Lots of good stuff from Cash…….good for him.
    cashman has had some good lines this offseason.......... two nice ones from your lohud link >>

"So I fully expect him to get Abreu money, unless they were playing us the entire winter. That would be like playing poker without any hand at all and, you know, maybe they did that.”

“We absolutely did what we could. The information we got from them was loud and clear. We followed Johnny’s guidelines, Johnny’s path. What’s happening now is a lot of spin doctoring by the agent. It didn’t work out."

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

Cameron might be the better player, but Melky is much more clutch. Guy had like 6 walk offs last year.
    funny, but i am now wearing a neck brace.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

If the offense continues to hum this year, Crawford would probably be more of a luxury than an need, and the pitching would make more sense. On offense, you could just sign a 4th OF and potentially turn Jesus loose at DH
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by JSG
    cashman has had some good lines this offseason.......... two nice ones from your lohud link >>

"So I fully expect him to get Abreu money, unless they were playing us the entire winter. That would be like playing poker without any hand at all and, you know, maybe they did that.”

“We absolutely did what we could. The information we got from them was loud and clear. We followed Johnny’s guidelines, Johnny’s path. What’s happening now is a lot of spin doctoring by the agent. It didn’t work out."
    I like the quote about how if a player wants to get something done here, he will……that basically, enough with the lip service.

So far this off-season, Boras hsa charged the Yankees a premium (for Nady of all players) and hardly negotiated with Damon. If that means the Yankees bow out on some Boras clients, so be it; as Cash said, if those players really want to be here, they’ll find a way (with or without Boras).

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston
    If the offense continues to hum this year, Crawford would probably be more of a luxury than an need, and the pitching would make more sense. On offense, you could just sign a 4th OF and potentially turn Jesus loose at DH
    i really don't like a young player to just become a DH. perhaps he could split the role with catcher.

NYYF Legend

Nomaas interviews Ca$hmoney. Excellent questions with some quality nuggets from Cash:

SJK: Since you were given full authority over baseball decisions after the 2005 season, how do you believe the organization has changed -- whether it be fiscally, philosophically, or in methodology?

CASH: I think we've changed in all aspects. There were a lot of people before involved in the decision-making process and now that's more defined. I felt like we were the Roman Empire where are operations were stretched far and wide. We're weren't king of the hill in player development, king of the hill in amateur scouting, king of the hill on the major league side, king of the hill on the international side…we weren't maximizing our resources at any level. We had department heads making decisions for other departments that weren't their responsibility. Now, I have localized each department to their specific area and maximized their expertise in those areas for the greater good of the organization as a whole.

Draft day, for example, has become critically important to us again. They're vital to success and I'm proud to say that some of our recent draftees were part of a world championship team this year.
    He also goes in depth about why Reed Johnson wasn't his first choice for LF, and says flatly Montero won't be in the Majors this season (though I'd assume if major injuries hit this might change).

http://nomaas.org/2010/02/the-mother...brian-cashman/
    Last edited by YESSIR!; 02-16-10 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21
    i really don't like a young player to just become a DH. perhaps he could split the role with catcher.
    Perhaps, but there are still huge questions about whether he'll ever really be able to handle C at the major league level.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketbooster
    There is some fantastic stuff in there. Great job by Cashman to put the Boras spin in its proper context.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14
    There is some fantastic stuff in there. Great job by Cashman to put the Boras spin in its proper context.
    Cash is tough as nails - I love him to death for it.

Quote Originally Posted by YESSIR!
    Nomaas interviews Ca$hmoney. Excellent questions with some quality nuggets from Cash:

He also goes in depth about why Reed Johnson wasn't his first choice for LF, and says flatly Montero won't be in the Majors this season (though I'd assume if major injuries hit this might change).

That's a good interview. That's the first decent feature they've had in a long time.

Cameron might be the better player, but Melky is much more clutch. Guy had like 6 walk offs last year.
    Melky had a negative WPA, WPA/LI, and clutch score. Not clutch.

Released Outright JavyVazquezIsSick's Avatar

#2...

#2...
    Yea, fell for the the bait, whatever. As long as I'm right.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YESSIR!

Excellent interview. Regarding Reed Johnson, he makes it like he signed Winn instead of Reed when Reed could have been had for virtually the same contract as Thames.

Excellent interview. Regarding Reed Johnson, he makes it like he signed Winn instead of Reed when Reed could have been had for virtually the same contract as Thames.
    Would have been a good follow up, although I wonder if a guy like Reed would prefer to be a 4th OF rather than a 5th OF. Or maybe he didn't want to be the second best Johnson on the team

NYYF Legend

i think it's clear that the reports on johnson's back scared cashman off
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Thread Information