+ Reply to Thread
Page 152 of 541 FirstFirst ... 52 102 142 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 162 202 252 ... LastLast
Results 3,776 to 3,800 of 13513

Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    GM's often make bad moves, news at 10.
    Quote Originally Posted by delv View Post
    Dude, Mike Myers pitched well for us.
    And just to be accurate, he only traded for Gaudin once (for cash) and it actually worked quite well. The second tour he signed him as a FA for peanuts and by all accounts it was really a non-event.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    And just to be accurate, he only traded for Gaudin once (for cash) and it actually worked quite well. The second tour he signed him as a FA for peanuts and by all accounts it was really a non-event.

As I said, "Signed or traded for...Gaudin 3 times..."

1. Cashman gets Gaudin in a trade with the Padres in 2009.

2. Cashman signs Gaudin, a free agent, after the 2009 season. Released in the spring of 2010 prior to the season starting. Picked up by Oakland.

3. A's release Gaudin after he craps the bed. Cashman signs him.......again.

Are all bad Cashman moves dismissed as "non-events?" I've even seen CHoP's and Winn's (among many others) signings described as such. "Peanuts" is relative (is Dotel rehabbing for 2 million considered peanuts?), and seemingly subjective in this thread. Plus, these disasters, many of them playing key roles, some even in the starting rotation, take up roster spots that could have gone to someone more useful and productive.

Quote Originally Posted by delv View Post
    Dude, Mike Myers pitched well for us.
    That he actually did. Scratch Myers.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    As I said, "Signed or traded for...Gaudin 3 times..."

1. Cashman gets Gaudin in a trade with the Padres in 2009.

2. Cashman signs Gaudin, a free agent, after the 2009 season. Released in the spring of 2010 prior to the season starting. Picked up by Oakland.

3. A's release Gaudin after he craps the bed. Cashman signs him.......again.

Are all bad Cashman moves dismissed as "non-events?" I've even seen CHoP's and Winn's (among many others) signings described as such. "Peanuts" is relative (is Dotel rehabbing for 2 million considered peanuts?), and seemingly subjective in this thread. Plus, these disasters, many of them playing key roles, some even in the starting rotation, take up roster spots that could have gone to someone more useful and productive.
    Fair enough. But really, you could create a similar list for any GM. Yes, they are non-events. Gaudin for example (since you like to use him frequently in anti-Cashman posts) cost the Yankees exactly zero talent to acquire in the trade and subsequent signings. All he cost is money. But let's look at it more closely:

Acquired for cash in '09, he started six games for the Yankees and the team won all 6. He also swung to the pen and provided valuable innings there down the stretch. Cashman sent $100k to the Padres, and we paid a small fraction of the $400k that the Padres owed him for 2009 (don't have the exact number, but I'm estimating the all-in cost for Gaudin in '09 to us was ~$200k).

Cashman signed him to a non-guaranteed deal that offseason. When he clearly showed he didn't have it together in ST, he was cut and the Yankees paid him a fraction of what was owed him... ~$700k (ouch). When Aceves went down later in the year, the team needed help in the pen and the versatility to go several innings, so he resigned Gaudin and paid him ~$400k after that.

So all in, to acquire and keep Gaudin in their employ, Cashman invested ZERO organizational talent and about $1.3MM. 2009 was worth that alone. If this is the type of evidence you're going to use to try and build your case that we have a terrible GM, that's going to be an uphill battle. Show me a GM without these types of mishaps. I know, I know... budget. But those teams that don't have pressure to win every year don't have to stick their necks out in the FA market either. They just bring up organizational talent, and if they suck no one notices or cares. If they pan out, the GM is a genius of course.

Released Outright JavyVazquezIsSick's Avatar

Myers wasn't a sucessful signing. He was brought in to be a shut down guy vs lefties, and he wasn't that. He became a mop up guy the last year.

I can't blame Cashman for the signing however.

This sets the bar pretty high for the other GM's.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/m...e=MLBHeadlines

Cashman is scheduled to rappel from the 350-foot Landmark Building in Stamford, Conn., Friday and Sunday as part of the Stamford's Heights and Lights event as a celebrity guest elf.

Wearing a full harness and dressed in a full elf costume, according to Stamford Downtown president Sandy Goldstein, Cashman will jump off the 22-floor building. There is no protective netting, a spokesperson for the event said.

This past week, Goldstein asked Cashman if he was scared.
    " 'Sandy, nothing is scarier than general managing the Yankees,' " Cashman said, according to Goldstein.
    ~John

well, that's quite a performance.
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

I can't believe he's having FUN while he should be signing JETER and MO and LEE!! Worst GM EVER!!!11

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NYYDragoon View Post
    I can't believe he's having FUN while he should be signing JETER and MO and LEE!! Worst GM EVER!!!11
    Clearly this is the Yankees' strategy for drawing attention away from the Jeter negotiations
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by NYYDragoon View Post
    I'll expect a retraction when Cash closes the Cliff Lee deal on his way down.
    ~John

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ring403 View Post
    This sets the bar pretty high for the other GM's.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/m...e=MLBHeadlines
    Jeter's contract demands are getting quite ridiculous.

NYYF Legend

If the Yankees lose Jeter & Mo and miss out on Lee Cashman might want to jump off a building for real.

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

per olney, the nimble rappelling elf sez nunez is Plan B .......

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/my-entry-1.html

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    If the Yankees lose Jeter & Mo and miss out on Lee Cashman might want to jump off a building for real.
    That's nearly $55M he gets to spend elsewhere. The TB payroll, basically.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post

If I had to bet the house, the last 2 are a lock to be in pinstripes
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    If I had to bet the house, the last 2 are a lock to be in pinstripes
    If I had to bet my house, I think all 3 are locks to be in pinstripes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post

1 week ago, I would have agreed with you, amico mio.

I am not so sure now. You can't have a season as sub par as 2010, and expect a raise, or even a push, I think.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

1 week ago, I would have agreed with you, amico mio.

I am not so sure now. You can't have a season as sub par as 2010, and expect a raise, or even a push, I think.
    Where's he going though? I can't imagine him going to a different market for less money. It would be a horrible move for Jeter, and the Yankees wouldn't take a lot of flack for making an offer significantly above what other teams would pay.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Where's he going though? I can't imagine him going to a different market for less money. It would be a horrible move for Jeter, and the Yankees wouldn't take a lot of flack for making an offer significantly above what other teams would pay.

This is true. But it certainly means that you don't over pay him either, I think.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

This is true. But it certainly means that you don't over pay him either, I think.
    Agree, although the 3/$45 million is already an overpay. Hopefully, Jeter eventually realizes that

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Agree, although the 3/$45 million is already an overpay. Hopefully, Jeter eventually realizes that

Yeah. You know we all get a tad immune about these numbers, but $15 MILLION per season to play a game, and no longer at the top levels (I hope I'm wrong and he has a huge rebound), is a bit ridiculous, if not insulting considering the times we are living through.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

Agreed. I'll throw in Pettitte as well. At which point the media can go back to complaining about the Yankees printing their own money.
    ~John

Released Outright JavyVazquezIsSick's Avatar

[I]Cashman, who lives in Darien, mentioned at a DSSD fundraiser this summer that he would be interested in participating, (director of DSSD Sandy Goldstein) said.
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

That's crazy far away from YS. Never knew that. I'd guess he has to have somewhere closer as well.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by JavyVazquezIsSick View Post
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

That's crazy far away from YS. Never knew that. I'd guess he has to have somewhere closer as well.
    I'm sure he has access to rooms in the city when he needs them but lots of people make that commute every day.

Thread Information