+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 550 1 2 3 4 11 51 101 501 ... LastLast

Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

....continue.....
    Let the kids play.

Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

a couple of years ago, this site was full of people bashing cashman. i think he's proven over the last couple of winters that when given full control, he can be one of the better GMs in the game. people may say it is easy being the yankees' GM, especialy when signing free agents but it seems as though cahsman knows what he is doing. long may it last ...
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21
    a couple of years ago, this site was full of people bashing cashman. i think he's proven over the last couple of winters that when given full control, he can be one of the better GMs in the game. people may say it is easy being the yankees' GM, especialy when signing free agents but it seems as though cahsman knows what he is doing. long may it last ...
    Hear, hear.

It was pretty tough defending him when he decided to bail on Santana, but I believed he had a vision, and he executed that vision perfectly last off-season and made the team significantly better. And this off-season he went about it in a much more creative way and in my view again improved the team. No doubt Cashman has proved himself worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub
    ....continue.....
    As the OP of the prior thread.

Quote Originally Posted by OldYankeeFan
    Hear, hear.

It was pretty tough defending him when he decided to bail on Santana, but I believed he had a vision, and he executed that vision perfectly last off-season and made the team significantly better. And this off-season he went about it in a much more creative way and in my view again improved the team. No doubt Cashman has proved himself worthy.
    totally disagree. it was a no brainer. they were asking for way too much. cashman was right from day one to never want to do that deal.

totally disagree. it was a no brainer. they were asking for way too much. cashman was right from day one to never want to do that deal.
    It might have been a no brainer to you, but you should look at the original thread to remind you how critical others were towards Cashman about the Santana situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962
    It might have been a no brainer to you, but you should look at the original thread to remind you how critical others were towards Cashman about the Santana situation.
    those critics were wrong at the time.

NYYF Legend

I agreed with Cash on not making that trade. And I told my friends back then that the Yankees would end up signing CC and keep all their prospects.

There are still plenty of Cash critics here who bash him no matter what he does, so I don't expect that to change with a new season or a new thread.

I thought he made the right call in the Santana non-trade (I don't believe he would have put Phil on the table had it not been for Hank) and it obviously paid off. I wish we could move past that, but I don't think that's going to happen.

No matter what Damon signs for, Cash did the right thing in holding his ground. I really don't get why people think he didn't want him back or why they think he should have paid more than he thought Damon was worth just to re-sign him. That's a lousy way to do business. When the Sox do what Cash did with Damon, they get praise here and plenty of it. Cash? He just gets killed.

Cash had a great off-season - if the Yankees struggle, it's on them, not on him as he can't play for them.

Cashman made the absolute right call on Santana but every deal or potential deal has to be looked at in the context of the time it was happening and at that time it was definitly not a no brainer. Santana was and still is one of the best pitchers in baseball and the yankees were desperately in need of pitching at the time.
    If you listen to the fans you’ll be sitting with them soon enough.- Brian Cashman

Quote Originally Posted by R.V.47
    Cashman made the absolute right call on Santana but every deal or potential deal has to be looked at in the context of the time it was happening and at that time it was definitly not a no brainer. Santana was and still is one of the best pitchers in baseball and the yankees were desperately in need of pitching at the time.
    i though it was a no brainer given what the twins were asking for and then having to sign him to an extension.

Quote Originally Posted by R.V.47
    No brainer is definitely strong, but I defintely supported not making that deal. Even in '08 when we missed the playoffs. Wanted a shot to get CC, plus hold on to Phil, IPK (who helped us land Granderson) and Melky (who helped us land Vasquez.

Seemed like the right move at the time, and in hindsight it's unquestionable the right move was made.

And for all the folks that think that Cashman's job is so easy a caveman can do it, would love thoughts on how many GM's in his position would have been able to withstand the pressure to do that deal.

Quote Originally Posted by False1
    And for all the folks that think that Cashman's job is so easy a caveman can do it, would love thoughts on how many GM's in his position would have been able to withstand the pressure to do that deal.
    this.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Looking back over the past few years at the big name players that were traded the year before they hit FA or before the trade deadline, how many gave up prospects anything near what Hughes was in 2008 (21 year old, almost threw a no-no, 101 ERA+, AL East), nevertheless Joba a combination of 2 of Joba, Hughes and IPK (who also had high stock)? No one did. Not for Holliday, Cliff Lee (twice), CC (granted, 1 year lease), or anyone else that was thrown around.

The value of youth has skyrocketed while aging players have fallen far, and Cashman called it.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes
    Looking back over the past few years at the big name players that were traded the year before they hit FA or before the trade deadline, how many gave up prospects anything near what Hughes was in 2008 (21 year old, almost threw a no-no, 101 ERA+, AL East), nevertheless Joba a combination of 2 of Joba, Hughes and IPK (who also had high stock)? No one did. Not for Holliday, Cliff Lee (twice), CC (granted, 1 year lease), or anyone else that was thrown around.

The value of youth has skyrocketed while aging players have fallen far, and Cashman called it.
    well said. with the steriod stuf being understood, people saw that older players weren't good value for money. it is far better to produce your own picthers, tie them up for five or six years and let them go to FA at age 30 than to pick up guy at that age.

NYYF Legend

I think you may have misinterpreted the meaning of my post because I agree with everything you said and supported him 100% for bailing on the Santana deal. It's just that there WAS a lot of dissenting views which made for lively debate. I guess the "tough to defend" was the wrong choice of phrases to use. Defending him at the time was tiresome, but I guess it was't actually tough.

NYYF Legend

i though it was a no brainer given what the twins were asking for and then having to sign him to an extension.
    I did too. It made absolutely no sense to me as I didn't want to give up the kids when we wouldn't have to the following year.

I think you may have misinterpreted the meaning of my post because I agree with everything you said and supported him 100% for bailing on the Santana deal. It's just that there WAS a lot of dissenting views which made for lively debate. I guess the "tough to defend" was the wrong choice of phrases to use. Defending him at the time was tiresome, but I guess it was't actually tough.
    fair enough. it was that phrase.

I did too. It made absolutely no sense to me as I didn't want to give up the kids when we wouldn't have to the following year.
    it was the first time we'd really seen the FO make the correct decision about young pitching. they stopped going after the big expensive name. and it worked out.

Cashman also nailed it when he didn't pick up Cameron last year. Great move.
    When everyone said we needed him so badly, it turns out we didn't.

NYYF Legend

Well not everyone. I still have some battle scars for defending Cashman (and in hindsight Hal) on that one.

Sorry- not everyone, but a lot of people.

I'll admit, I was all for trading Hughes for Santana. At the time, it would have been the wrong choice. I've been on board with Cashman's decision for the most part Vazquez deal, not offering arbitration to all those players, letting Damon and Matsui walk, etc.

I absolutely LOVE the way that he's buying low on the right players (Swisher, NJ, we'll see about Winn), and taking advantage of dumb GMs that have knee jerk reactions to a bad season. At the same time, he's not sentimental or making decisions about players based a hot streak in October *cough*randy johnson*cough*. I feel like he's become a stats-nerd that actually watches games, which is EXACTLY what you want. Something like 80% stats, 20% experience.

I've had a few small qualms, but nothing major. Burnett got either too much AAV or years, but I can understand why he had to give in. It was Burnett or Derek Lowe :yuck: I also thought (and still do) that Posada and Mariano got too much, but those weren't horrible deals. Mo has worked out well and Posada wasn't too bad.

Given the choice, I'd rather do something like give a good player an extra year anyway. Much better than the wrong players under any terms. I'd rather have Burnett for an extra year than Lowe for anything... by a long shot. Better to get something for your money than nothing at all.

When I watch some of the stuff other GMs are doing like Salary dumping the $9M Cliff Lee (when he would have virtually assured you a third consecutive WS appearance), or the Red Sox trading off offensive power for OF defense at Fenway (and lets not forget their cash for clunkers pitching program), or the Reds giving $30M to Chapman or whatever the hell the Tigers are doing and... I dunno WTF to say about the Mets, I'm thrilled.

NYYF Triple Crown

Anyone read Onleys book last night of the Yankee Dynasty?? Cash deserves a ton of credit for restructuring the whole system and getting the farm system in order
    FRANCESA >> KAY

NYYF Legend

Nice to see Cashman getting the props he deserves. And after this off season he has proved he is MUCH more than a GM who just has more money to spend than anyone else. It was one of the more creative off seasons I have seen in a very long time.

Released Outright

Cashman needs a rap song.

I as a huge Cameron for Cabrera proponent, and while he made the right call financially last season, it wasn't until he turned Cabrera into a chip for Vasquez that I'd say he nailed that one...

...especially if Javy can net us two first rounders next off-season

Thread Information