+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 110 1 2 3 4 11 51 101 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

The 2010 New York Jets Thread

Figured I'd start this to talk about needs, our wishlists, and maybe some draft chatter.

With the uncapped year the Jets won't be able to sign a FA without losing one first, I believe.

Additionally, to dabomb's point about drafting a pure pass rusher, I don't think they will draft one, and I don't think it's the right move.

Rex's defense is predicated on constant rotation of the blitzers and confusion due to a lack of consistency on where the pressure is coming from on the line. The ends don't always rush, so the best pure pass rusher in the draft wouldn't be all that appealing to the Jets, in my opinion.

I think that they definitely need to address the secondary though, perhaps getting a CB or S if Rhodes leaves. Also, Jenkins injury still looms large and a DT may be a need.

Also, a RT is probably going to be necessary in short order - there's no telling how long Woody is going to hold up for, and there isn't much depth on the OL.

Overall I'd take BPA of CB, DT, or OT, and S if Rhodes leaves. Then I'd make a move for a WR in the 3-5th round range.
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Re: The 2010 New York Jets Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch
    Figured I'd start this to talk about needs, our wishlists, and maybe some draft chatter.

With the uncapped year the Jets won't be able to sign a FA without losing one first, I believe.

Additionally, to dabomb's point about drafting a pure pass rusher, I don't think they will draft one, and I don't think it's the right move.

Rex's defense is predicated on constant rotation of the blitzers and confusion due to a lack of consistency on where the pressure is coming from on the line. The ends don't always rush, so the best pure pass rusher in the draft wouldn't be all that appealing to the Jets, in my opinion.

I think that they definitely need to address the secondary though, perhaps getting a CB or S if Rhodes leaves. Also, Jenkins injury still looms large and a DT may be a need.

Also, a RT is probably going to be necessary in short order - there's no telling how long Woody is going to hold up for, and there isn't much depth on the OL.

Overall I'd take BPA of CB, DT, or OT, and S if Rhodes leaves. Then I'd make a move for a WR in the 3-5th round range.

You cant stop the top QB's by just blitzing them all day. They are too good for that....they will adjust and you will get hit w/big plays against you. It needs to be a mixture of blitzes as well as pressure from your D-line and LB'ers.

I go back to the Giants-Pats SB two years ago. The Giants won that game because they did something no other team could do against the Pats that year....generate a consistent pass rush w/their front four. This allowed them to pressure the QB while being able to drop extra guys back into coverage....this also made their blitzes that more effective. If the Giants didnt get a consistent rush from their D-line, and needed to blitz all day....Brady would have picked them apart. Or if you want to compare them to other 3-4 defenses....they dont have a bigtime pass rushing LB'er. Like the 2008 Steelers had in Harrison and Woodley for example. That Steelers team didnt have to blitz all the time because they were capable of getting pressure w/o it....that made them that much more dangerous.

To beat a guy like Manning....you need to be able to get a pass rush w/o blitzing. The Jets cant do it yet. If you dont get that dynamic pass rusher or two, the Jets will keep running into the same problems they did yesterday when they face the upper echelon QB's and offensive teams.

NYYF Legend

I definitely agree they need a pash rusher, but they can't/won't draft a traditional pass-rushing DE unless they're convinced he can drop into coverage and/or play LB, too - which the top-of-the-draft DEs aren't drafted for.

I guess I'm agreeing with you on the need to pressure the QB, I just don't think they're going round 1 to get it because the round 1 pass-rushers are mostly in the traditional, rush every play mold.

Holding the MVP and the Colts down to 10 points (which would have been their season lowest besides Week 17 when they rested their starters) wasn't that comical, I guess.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DaSh 1s
    Holding the MVP and the Colts down to 10 points (which would have been their season lowest besides Week 17 when they rested their starters) wasn't that comical, I guess.

I wonder what they have in mind for Braylon -- his dropsies didn't go away but he can still produce at an above-average level.

Would be helpful if they could bring in someone who can haul in those overthrown passes young QBs are prone to do
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.

"They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

NYYF Legend

I'd bet they sign him. He does two things very well that are of extreme importance to this offense: stretch the field and block.

Give me the Zoppity mentalgidget's Avatar

The Jets are going to be very hamstrung with FA ruk\les this offseason. Fininshing in the top 4 means that they can't "negotiate and sign any unrestricted free agent to a player contract except for players who acquired their status by being cut or were on the final four team when their contract expired."

this is a good article on FA rules:
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true
    Ah, dammit! I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes. Donnez moi pancakes. Click click, bloody click pancakes!
    -- Stewie Griffin

Finally had to change avatars NYYRules#1's Avatar
    Bronx, NY (Home of the Yanks!)/Trumbull, CT

Quote Originally Posted by mentalgidget
    The Jets are going to be very hamstrung with FA ruk\les this offseason. Fininshing in the top 4 means that they can't "negotiate and sign any unrestricted free agent to a player contract except for players who acquired their status by being cut or were on the final four team when their contract expired."

this is a good article on FA rules:
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true
    God I hate that rule.

The draft will be pivitol for us this year. And, of course, we have to re-sign Braylon (especially considering this rule that would prevent us from getting another WR out on the market).
    27-TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS

NYYF Legend

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see an underrated RB taken in the 3rd-4th round area. Jones' demise could come fast an furious next year.

Compulsively Handsome cyhughes22's Avatar

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see an underrated RB taken in the 3rd-4th round area. Jones' demise could come fast an furious next year.
    I think it already has to be honest. The poor guy did nothing in the playoffs. Now maybe it was just fatigue or whatever but the fact is that he seemed to run out of gas. Shonn Greene should get the bulk of the carries next year and another big physical back should be drafted late to give him a breather every once in a while. I really believe that Greene is going to be a stud for this team because he's got excellent vision and all the physical tools you want in a back. The thing I love the most about him is that he almost never loses yardage. There are times when he doesn't get much but he always seems to get you something positive on the ground which is invaluable. Hopefully Leon is back and healthy and that gives us a change of pace guy too. I hear a lot of people saying we're not guaranteed to get back and that's certainly true but with a team this young with so much room to improve I have a hard time believing we're far away from becoming and elite team like the Colts or Eagles who are in it every year.
    [IMG]http://www.espnstar.com/servlet/file/445651_33_preview.jpg?ITEM_ENT_ID=445651&COLLSPEC_ENT_ID=10&FILE_SERVICE_CONF_ID=33[/IMG]

Ok here's a question: If the Jets weren't screwed by the ridiculous free agent signing rules would anyone here be interested in Merriman if he doesn't return to the Chargers? I think he could run wild in a Rex Ryan defense and be a real nightmare for the opposing QB.
    [IMG]http://www.espnstar.com/servlet/file/445651_33_preview.jpg?ITEM_ENT_ID=445651&COLLSPEC_ENT_ID=10&FILE_SERVICE_CONF_ID=33[/IMG]

NYYF Legend

No, I don't think he has the athleticism to drop back into zone anymore.

NYYF Legend

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/Mock-Draf...ft-Page-2.html

This has the Jets stumbling upon Carlos Dunlap, which would be ridiculous.

CFP, what do you think about Mays being converted to an OLB in the Jets scheme where he's be counted on to both cover and rush the passer? Seems like he's "taylor-made" to play that spot in a defense like Ryan's.

Oh, and I know it's never going to happen, but I just want to say that I don't know that I've ever wanted a player in the draft more than I want to see Eric Berry in Rex's defense. That's Ed Reed, Jr. if he was on the Jets. Him and Revis together would be just ridiculous.

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/Mock-Draf...ft-Page-2.html

This has the Jets stumbling upon Carlos Dunlap, which would be ridiculous.

CFP, what do you think about Mays being converted to an OLB in the Jets scheme where he's be counted on to both cover and rush the passer? Seems like he's "taylor-made" to play that spot in a defense like Ryan's.

Oh, and I know it's never going to happen, but I just want to say that I don't know that I've ever wanted a player in the draft more than I want to see Eric Berry in Rex's defense. That's Ed Reed, Jr. if he was on the Jets. Him and Revis together would be just ridiculous.
    It's an interesting idea, I brought it up in the Giants thread as a hypothetical not too long ago. I always felt like he didn't get showcased well in Pete Carroll's D (PC would literally play him 20-25 yards off the LOS.) With his speed, he'd definitely fit in well as an OLB in the aggressive scheme that Rex runs.

The only thing I'd worry about a little bit is his tackling - he doesn't wrap up at all, but that is something that can be taught.

And Eric Berry in your D would be unfair. Teams would quit throwing the ball.

NYYF Legend

How about Richard Seymour? He's not that old, he's on the Raiders, and I would imagine he'd love a chance to get at Belichick twice a year for marooning him out there in Oakland. Seymour, Jenkins, Ellis...that's pretty damn good for your 3-4 defense, with Pouha and Greene in reserve.

As far as Kerry Rhodes, bye bye. He showed what he's all about when he celebrated himself instead of diving for the ball after he stripped Rivers. There's our free agent loss right there.
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

Quote Originally Posted by PlsDontTearDownY.S.
    How about Richard Seymour? He's not that old, he's on the Raiders, and I would imagine he'd love a chance to get at Belichick twice a year for marooning him out there in Oakland. Seymour, Jenkins, Ellis...that's pretty damn good for your 3-4 defense, with Pouha and Greene in reserve.

As far as Kerry Rhodes, bye bye. He showed what he's all about when he celebrated himself instead of diving for the ball after he stripped Rivers. There's our free agent loss right there.
    He's still under contract and he definitely has trade value. They could very easily trade him for an earlier draft pick and a shot to get Mays or Berry. Of course now that Holmgren is running things in Cleveland Eric Mangini won't be able to give things away for him but he's got to have a pretty significant value to someone with his physical tools. I don't think there are any free agents out there worth just cutting him for. If they could somehow trade up and get Berry and Mays I think I might have an orgasm.

If I'm understanding that top 4 team FA rule thing, we can't sign anyone unless they were cut by another team or on our team with an expired contract?

And you guys think we're gonna pay TJ the bonus and bring him back?

Quote Originally Posted by PinstripePride
    If I'm understanding that top 4 team FA rule thing, we can't sin anyone unless they were cut by another team or on our team with an expired contract?

And you guys think we're gonna pay TJ the bonus and bring him back?
    Yeah I think we should. Lets remember about Leon....his injury was quite serious. Who knows how ready he will be when the season starts---you might have to ease him back into things.

I think Greene will see much more time next season (which is a good thing cuz I think the amount of carries is beginning to wear Jones down...esp late in the season) but I still want Jones here for another year. Greene/Jones/Leon is a pretty sick RB trio.

That's fair. Maybe give him the bulk of the carries in the beginning of the season and then move more workload to Leon and Greene as the season progresses.

That's fair. Maybe give him the bulk of the carries in the beginning of the season and then move more workload to Leon and Greene as the season progresses.
    Looking at this year's stats.....Jones had 331 carries, Greene 108, Washington 72. Maybe next season you take about 125 carries away from Jones---give Greene say 100 of them and Washington 25.

That would leave it at Jones 216, Greene 208, Washington 97. I think something like this would be perfect. I like the 3-headed monster in 2010. Every one of these guys bring different attributes to the table---it reminds me alot of the Earth/Wind/Fire backfield the Giants had in 07-08 with Jacobs, Ward and Bradshaw.

NYYF Cy Young

With all the talk about the Jets' need for a pass rusher...what happened to Vernon Golston?
    If they ask who was our star, give them twenty five names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Give me the Zoppity mentalgidget's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ace
    With all the talk about the Jets' need for a pass rusher...what happened to Vernon Golston?
    he found out that bench press wasn't a stat used by the NFL
    Ah, dammit! I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes. Donnez moi pancakes. Click click, bloody click pancakes!
    -- Stewie Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by ace
    A combo of things, lead by the fact that he has seemingly no heart or fire. By all accounts the guy is a puppy playing in a league of bears. He's overmatched because he can't use his strength to overpower guys like he did in college. His one-armed take-downs don't work in the NFL, his bullrushing OLinemen onto their ass doesn't work in the NFL, etc. Add to that that he looks out of place as a LB floating around in space and you've got the recipe for a bust. I had high hopes that Rex could turn this guy around, but i think it's time to just cut our losses.

A combo of things, lead by the fact that he has seemingly no heart or fire. By all accounts the guy is a puppy playing in a league of bears. He's overmatched because he can't use his strength to overpower guys like he did in college. His one-armed take-downs don't work in the NFL, his bullrushing OLinemen onto their ass doesn't work in the NFL, etc. Add to that that he looks out of place as a LB floating around in space and you've got the recipe for a bust. I had high hopes that Rex could turn this guy around, but i think it's time to just cut our losses.
    This to me is the biggest part. This is a guy who when he was asked if he was happy playing special teams respond that he was fine with it. That is absolutely disgusting to me. As a high first round pick you've got to have some sort of freaking pride but apparently he doesn't. He is the Pavano of the Jets except that he's technically not injured but offers about the same production.

Thread Information