+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 57 ... LastLast

Re: 2010 NCAA Football Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by murpjf88

Chip Brown says differently

http://twitter.com/ChipBrownOB

He seems to be the only guy out there who is on top of everything when it comes to expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by trentonthunder
    Not so sure the SEC wants Oklahoma, VT, or anyone else for that matter.
    They are getting lots and lots of TV money over the next few years, have
    the highest rated conference money wise, and those big boys probably
    don't want to share any of it. I'm sure some will argue that it will make
    their conference even richer, but I doubt it. Florida and Alabama have
    already shown that the SEC is the cream of the crop. I expect the
    other conferences besides the SEC to take in UT, aTm, and OU. OSU,
    Kansas, and the other guys will be scrambling for any conference who will be kind enough to take them.

My money would be on the SEC to do nothing here.
    The SEC is too good to take in Oklahoma? Riiiiiiiight.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by YanksFan1992

And let's be fair, almost everyone cheats. USC just did it more often than others, and ended up getting caught.

The NCAA is brutal when it comes to handing out punishments. No one wants
    to cheat. Many times the head coaches are unaware of what is going on. They can't
    monitor everything. AD's and head coaches are very afraid of cheating, and have
    no desire to cheat, because they know they'll cost the university millions of dollars
    if they do it. LOL at what is posted here.
    [

NYYF Triple Crown

Does Mike Garrett actually think saying stuff like this will help USC?

Quote Originally Posted by An Athletic Director that needs to get his head out of his ass
    As I read the decision by the NCAA, all I could get out of all of this was … I read between the lines and there was nothing but a lot of envy, and they wish they all were Trojans
    CFP, your alma mater needs to fire him before he opens his mouth again. The guy is flat-out taunting the NCAA. This isn't meant to be an insult to you at all, but right now, the last thing in the world I am is envious of USC. I just can't fathom how he thought saying that was a good idea.

And somebody needs to muzzle your football coach too:

“Regardless of what happens in that appeal, we know this: SC is more powerful than anything else,” Kiffin said. “The university, the football program, the basketball program -- no matter what they try to do to us, it won’t matter.”
    I understand what he is saying (or trying to say), but maybe a bit of humility could go a long way here. They are going to appeal this, they have said as much, the arrogance act isn't going to do a damn thing to help. The appeal is to the same organization that Garrett just called "envious." The entire article reads like a NCAA Infractions Report pep rally. Seriously, who the ................ is advising these people?

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...-a-lot-of-envy

Edited to add that Garrett apparently had another gem at the same event. This quote was in the LA Times article:

Garrett said he "felt invigorated by all this stuff" because he had wondered how big the USC brand was and "with the penalty we got today I know we're bigger than life."
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,1745152.story

There are no words to accurately describe this level of stupidity. At the rate he is going, his mouth and complete lack of contriton will result in more penalties being added through the appeal.

NYYF Legend

Boise State to the Mountain West: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5276064

Is that really an upgrade from the WAC? I would think Boise would be trying to get in on the new PAC 10 deal if they're really serious about being a player in the BCS.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

I'd say it's a nice upgrade. TCU, BYU, and Utah are all legitimate teams in their own right, and adding Boise State will put some more depth in that conference. With the Big 12 just days away from blowing to pieces, the MWC has a case for a BCS auto-bid.

Thing is, no more WAC cupcake conference schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by BonusCantos
    I'd say it's a nice upgrade. TCU, BYU, and Utah are all legitimate teams in their own right, and adding Boise State will put some more depth in that conference. With the Big 12 just days away from blowing to pieces, the MWC has a case for a BCS auto-bid.

Thing is, no more WAC cupcake conference schedule.
    I say the same thing.

The Mountain West just got beefier in terms of scheduling.

It will be fun watching TCU, BYU, Utah and Boise State beat each other up.

In fact, I like to see the Mountain West and the WAC merge, but they will have 18 teams.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

The BCS strip the 2004 crystal football title from USC pending appeal, but the AP didn't.
    Associated Press will not strip USC of 2004 AP title
    http://www.foxsportswest.com/06/11/1...33&feedID=3707
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

From ESPN Bottomline Ticker:
    Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State poised to join the Pac-10 as early as Tuesday; Texas A&M suggesting a move to the SEC.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5276668

Here's a blog about Boise State's move to the Mountain West
    http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...-mountain-west

One of the unintended (or intended?) consequences of possible conference realignment is that the gap between the sport's power conferences and its lesser conferences will be even wider. If the Big Ten, Pac-10, ACC and SEC expand, they might try to position themselves for more than one automatic bid to the BCS. The rule that limits only two schools from each conference in the BCS also might be re-examined.

In effect, teams from conferences like Conference USA and the WAC might be squeezed out of the BCS even more.

Boise State faced myriad problems trying to get into BCS bowl games and the BCS National Championship Game as a member of the WAC.

By joining the MWC, the Broncos took a big step in making sure they're not excluded in the future.

And by adding a team as formidable as the Broncos, the MWC -- which might expand even more -- moved a step closer to becoming a BCS conference.

Well, the Pac-10, Big Ten are not the only ones trying to expand.

East Carolina AD talks Big East
    http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...talks-big-east

Big East should look West
    http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...ould-look-west

Great move by Boise State, and I can see the Mountain West potentially becoming the fifth power conference in the future (outside of the SEC, Big 10, Pac-10, and an ACC/Big East hybrid).

Great move by Boise State, and I can see the Mountain West potentially becoming the fifth power conference in the future (outside of the SEC, Big 10, Pac-10, and an ACC/Big East hybrid).
    I also see it too.

The other small conferences like the WAC and Conference USA are saying to themselves: We need to merge.

There might not even have to be an ACC/Big East hybrid right away. I mean, anything can happen, but I'm less sure that the SEC will do anything to the ACC. Aside from taking up the Virginia schools (which would present political and academic issues for those two) or the North Carolina schools (which will never leave the ACC), the rest would be expanding just for the sake of expanding.

That doesn't mean the SEC won't try to poach some teams, mind you, but they already own most of the territory they'd want from us. Right now, I think the conference holds together.

Quote Originally Posted by BonusCantos
    There might not even have to be an ACC/Big East hybrid right away. I mean, anything can happen, but I'm less sure that the SEC will do anything to the ACC. Aside from taking up the Virginia schools (which would present political and academic issues for those two) or the North Carolina schools (which will never leave the ACC), the rest would be expanding just for the sake of expanding.

That doesn't mean the SEC won't try to poach some teams, mind you, but they already own most of the territory they'd want from us. Right now, I think the conference holds together.
    Oh I certainly don't expect any Big East/ACC merger to happen any time soon. But, if the Big 10 and Pac 10 are successful in expanding to fifteen/sixteen teams, that will likely come at the cost of a couple east coast teams. Not only that, but I hardly see the SEC willing to play second fiddle for long, so before you know it, the likes of Virginia Tech could be changing conferences.

Maybe I'm looking at this ass backwards, But the Pac-10 Big-12 merge is only going to strengthen the SEC. Only one team can come out of the Pac-16 and play in the BCS championship game, and the elimination of the big 12 will pretty much guarantee an SEC team to be in the BCS championship game every year.

Maybe I'm looking at this ass backwards, But the Pac-10 Big-12 merge is only going to strengthen the SEC. Only one team can come out of the Pac-16 and play in the BCS championship game, and the elimination of the big 12 will pretty much guarantee an SEC team to be in the BCS championship game every year.
    Well two things....

1. If the Big 10 and Pac-10 both become "super conferences," it is rather likely that their caliber of their champion will rival that of the SEC's, so although it is likely that the SEC would place a team in the championship game, it isn't a certainty.

2. Most importantly, a super conference such as the Pac-16 or Big-16 (or whatever you want to call them), would hit more major markets than the SEC, and thus would be capable of a bigger TV deal. Money drives college football, and I doubt the SEC would be willing to fall behind any other conference in that aspect.

Latest update:

Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will join the Pacific-10 Conference when a formal offer is made, a source told ESPN's Joe Schad on Friday.

Texas A&M, the Austin American Statesman reported, is torn between joining the Pac-10 or Southeastern Conference. The Aggies will have a 72-hour timetable to decide whether to accept the Pac-10's offer, the newspaper reported.

A formal offer from the Pac-10 could come as soon as this weekend, the newspaper reported.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5276668

Sorry Jamie, but I beat you to it.

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showpost.p...&postcount=159

I wouldn't mind Texas A&M and possibly VT joining the SEC.

NYYF Legend

Meh, still not impressed with the Mountain West. Boise should have aimed higher.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Cy Young

I wouldn't mind Texas A&M and possibly VT joining the SEC.
    VT wants absolutely nothing to do with that. They draw some of the best athletes from the great state of Virginia. If they join the SEC and become a consistent 7-4 SEC team and never make a big bowl, then all the great kids from Virginia will start signing up at Alabama and Florida.

No way aTm joins the SEC either. That great university wants to play Texas till death do them part.
    [

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz
    Meh, still not impressed with the Mountain West. Boise should have aimed higher.
    Meh, there are teams in the MWC which are much better than Boise. this is the best they're going to do with the realities of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by trentonthunder
    VT wants absolutely nothing to do with that. They draw some of the best athletes from the great state of Virginia. If they join the SEC and become a consistent 7-4 SEC team and never make a big bowl, then all the great kids from Virginia will start signing up at Alabama and Florida.

No way aTm joins the SEC either. That great university wants to play Texas till death do them part.
    According to Chip Brown,

http://twitter.com/ChipBrownOB

Texas A&M regents have the votes to join the SEC and could announce that move as early as next week, sources tell Orangebloods.com

Does Texas A&M not realize that they're going to be very hard pressed to contend with the likes of Alabama, Florida and LSU? And yes, I do realize that the Big 12 isn't that much of a step down from the SEC, but I can't see their football team being as successful as they would be in the Pac-10 or Big 10.

Thread Information