+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    NYYF MVP

Did the 2009 championship soften your memory of 2004?

Speaking for myself, 2004 was the worst moment in my 3 1/2 decades of following Yankee baseball. Since then, I can admit that I feared the possibility of some kind of hex placed on them (perhaps in the form of a subconscious can't-win syndrome) as "punishment" for blowing the 3-0 lead.

Until this year, I was bothered by the lack of any successful postseason runs since '04. Not even a single playoff series was won during that time. I was worried.

And when I would have the misfortune of thinking back to the 2004 debacle, the recent lack of success made that memory continue to stay alive for me, like it is still causing problems.

Even this year, until the final out, 2004 was still nawing at me, as if to say "They won't win another WS, Ha Ha Ha"). I lacked the cautious confidence that marked the World Series I followed in earlier years. Was the Yankees great run of Championships a 20th century thing? Would the 21st be a downer in the Bronx? Would the new stadium take in the fabled Yankee greatness, as did both versions of the old one? Was A-rod the cause of the bad karma? Did blood from Curt Shilling's sock seep into the hallowed Bronx soil?

When Cano flipped the last out to Texiera in Game 6, I was exhilarated, like Yankee fans everywhere. But most of all, I was relieved! No Yankee curse! The championships live on! Yeah!!!!

Now if I think of 2004, it stands as a real lousy postseason embarassment. Nothing more. (There have been other bad postseasons, after all.)

OK, I am ready for 2010 now. I am looking for #28 (and #8 of my lifetime and fanhood).

Net
    I am ready for NUMBER 28!!!

Re: Did the 2009 championship soften your memory of 2004?

Who cares about 2004? A roided team, incompetent managing, and bad luck all conspired to beat us. The fix was in.
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

Devoted Member

I have had to endure teaching in a public high school full of 1800 Red Sox fans (students and co-workers), and have had to listen to it, for the past five years. This year the silence coming out of the Red Sox fans was the sweetest sound one can imagine.

Also, my new seats are great and on top of that, it was my first time attending at World Series. All things considered, yes, this season made up for it all.
    "Any day is a good day when you can play baseball."

What happened in 2004?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

In all honesty, it did. I can type "2004" again!

dont mess with the jesus dont_ya_know24's Avatar

i got over it in 2005.
    “I really thought I played great defense when the ball wasn't hit at me,” Alex Rodriguez said.

I haven't thought about 2004 in ages. It doesn't even bother me at this point........ I enjoyed the 2009 season on its own merits

The only time I think about 2004 is when we play Boston. Other than that, I dont even come close to being bothered about it.

2001 and 2003 bothers me more than 2004 ever could.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph
    The only time I think about 2004 is when we play Boston. Other than that, I dont even come close to being bothered about it.

Not sure about 2003, but 2001 was ten times worse than 2004.
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph

Agreed.

'01 was hard to take since it was right there for the taking and in the span of about 5 minutes it was ripped away at the end. They have been showing the final hit on a lot of end of decade highlight reels and whenever I see that blooper land right where Jeter should've been standing if Torre had them at double play depth, it makes me cringe. Especially losing to the ultra-douche duo of Schilling & Mark Grace, hate them both.

'03 was tough because after the high of beating the sox, they seemed to be in a bit of a boston hangover and got picked off by an inferior team. Plus the memory of the extra inning walk-off HR off of Weaver. My wife can't even look at him much less hear his name mentioned to this day. Then another ultra-douche (Beckett) just owning us in the final game. Watch him become a Yankee now that I just douched him, I'll have to recant that.

For some reason that I can't really explain, 2004 does bother me but not nearly to the extent that these others do. Maybe I have the feeling they were more deserving in '01 & '03 than in '04. I don't know, hard to explain.
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees13
    While 2001 was brutal, 2004 for me was much worse. So many chances to put that 04 ALCS away and the Yankees just couldn't do it.

NYYF Legend

Time, more than anything else, has softened the blow. Losing the "1918" chant forever in the fashion we did will always suck. I'll never forgive Joe Torre for leaving El Duque sitting on his hands all night.
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

Devoted Member

I was recovering from cancer surgery in October, 2004 and still on pain killers. I have always assumed that I hallucinated everything that I've been told happened then. 2001 really hurt, but then again the 5th game of the World Series in 1964 was the only baseball game that actually produced tears, so nothing's really equalled that. If you know about 1964 you know what an unending pleasure it is for me to hear Tim McCarver's voice every October.
    Mays played baseball. Mantle was baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs
    What happened in 2004?
    whenever somebody brings that up, i usually just got "2004 never happened" or i say "what happened in 2004?". honestly, it still irks me a little but after watching 9 innings from ground zero, there was a quote that just made accept what happened in 2001 and 2004. scott brosius said "in a perfect world, the yankees would have won the world series in 2001, but the world isnt perfect."

just some food for thought
    follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/AndrewHarts

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by StingrayJG
    '01 was hard to take since it was right there for the taking and in the span of about 5 minutes it was ripped away at the end. .
    While losing Game 7 in 2001 hurt plenty, the sting was eased by the memories of those middle games, especially Games 4 and 5, and the way we won. I consider 2001 a great WS, which is a tough thing to do when my team loses. Also, in 2001 we were running on 3 in a row and 4/5. I felt we were playing with house money, making losing less awful.

Also, the D'Backs were not a rival. I did not know a single D'Back fan back then (I have met a small number since then). Losing to them (or the Marlins) does not cut raw like losing to Boston.
    I am ready for NUMBER 28!!!

The memory of 2004 should remain sharp and cold, as a reminder to all Yankee fans of just how fleeting the opportunity to win a World Series is.

We should never assume that the Yankees are entitled to a dynasty, or even a postseason, and the events since 2000 make us realize just how incredible it is to win even one championship.

The 2008 season serves to teach us that just as succinctly.

There is a sense however, that there has been a restoration of the natural order of things (though that may just be my imagination.)
    [IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2725/4405507149_0a9cc32490.jpg[/IMG]

2001 still bothers me even more than the 2004 chokefest....because that 2001 team was THE dynasty team that had won 3 straight World Series and was on the verge of the 4 peat in Arizona when Womack, Grace and company started there 9th inning shenanigans
    RIP MR. STEINBRENNER

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Bomber
    I was recovering from cancer surgery in October, 2004 and still on pain killers. I have always assumed that I hallucinated everything that I've been told happened then. 2001 really hurt, but then again the 5th game of the World Series in 1964 was the only baseball game that actually produced tears, so nothing's really equalled that. If you know about 1964 you know what an unending pleasure it is for me to hear Tim McCarver's voice every October.
    I too cried in 1964, I was 10 years old...But the pain of 2004, will always hurt the most because it was the Red Sox..Unfortunately for me when I think of Vasquez returning, I think of him giving up the grandslam .

NYYF Legend

2004 sucked balls, not only cause it was a year after losing a WS to the Marlins but it was losing a 3-0 lead (first in any sport), and it was against our arch rivals and it broke their curse

either way 2004 will never go away but life goes on, we won #27 and onward to #28 in 2010
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

NYYF Triple Crown

2001 doesn't bother me so much now because in hindsight, facing Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling in their primes about 5 times in a seven game series...and being an inning away is a miracle to me.

2003 hurts because we should have smashed those bastards.

2004...well, after Game 3 the team just went all wrong. Stupid managing decisions didn't help. It sounds mean, and vicious, but getting rid of Torre helped me forget about 04.

But to answer the question, yes, 09 did soften the blow of 04. This team was so much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    Mo bends. Mo don't break.

NYYF Cy Young

2004 bothered me the most because we were the first team in baseball to collapse that bad in the postseason. No team in baseball has EVER had a 3 to 0 lead and lose. And having that done to us by our arch rivals made it even more worse. I know every team in sports has collapsed at least once in their history, but 2004 was particularly bad for the reasons above. And plus every Red Sox fan & Yankee hater came out of the woodworks trying to prove now that the Yankees are now curse and will never win a championship again.

So not only did the 2009 Championship soften what happened in 2004, it shut all the Yankee haters up and it reminded them and some Yankee fans of who the Yankees are....The Greatest Dynasty in ALL of sports.

GO YANKEES!!!!!!
    [FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][B]“I would like to take the great Di Maggio fishing....They say his father was a fisherman. Maybe he was as poor as we are and would understand.”[/B]
    [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Ernest Hemingway
    “The Old Man and the Sea”[/SIZE][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees13
    2001 was to a 'roided team as well....probably 2003 Marlins as well.
    "I'm sorry Smokey, you were over the line, that's a foul....mark it zero Dude, next frame"

Quote Originally Posted by Meecham4ever
    2001 was to a 'roided team as well....probably 2003 Marlins as well.
    The "extra muscle" probably got Gonzalez's flare over Jeter.

The 2009 championship eliminated 2004 from my memory.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55
    The 2009 championship eliminated 2004 from my memory.
    "Are you sure you want to send 'MLB playoffs 2004' to the recycle bin?"

Thread Information