+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Re: !!! PREPARE FOR GLORY !!! Hughes Vs. Chamberlain

Everyone is a starting pitcher technically, but there is only room for the 5th spot in the rotation.

Who will be the 5th STARRRRTIN PITCHAAA?

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer
    You said:

How does one report, from realgm sports no less, constitute "everbody"?
    CBS is also saying Hughes is the "favorite" winning the job. I will re-correct my statement, nobody is reporting him as winning the job but he is the favorite.

Here's the stats of all parties involved (in the battle for the 5th spot) thus far in spring training.

Phil Hughes
    13 Ip, 6 ER (3 of these ER's were on solo shots served up to Ben Francisco, Dane Sardinha and a game-winning shot by Wilson Valdez should be excused because of the gusty conditions that permitted them.)

Joba Chamberlain
    6.2 IP, 12 ER, (5.2 IP, 2 ER in intrasquad game, best hitters in that line-up he faced, randy winn and marcus thames, 1 IP, 10 ER, yikes)

Chad Gaudin
    9.1 IP, 9 ER

Sergio Mitre
    14 IP, 5 ER

Alfredo Aceves
    14.1 IP, 6 ER
    NYYFANS.com Fantasy Baseball: Carolina Force
    2010 & 2011 Gehrig Division Champs.

Quote Originally Posted by The FUTURE
    CBS is also saying Hughes is the "favorite" winning the job. I will re-correct my statement, nobody is reporting him as winning the job but he is the favorite.

Here's the stats of all parties involved (in the battle for the 5th spot) thus far in spring training.

Phil Hughes
    13 Ip, 6 ER (3 of these ER's were on solo shots served up to Ben Francisco, Dane Sardinha and a game-winning shot by Wilson Valdez should be excused because of the gusty conditions that permitted them.)

Joba Chamberlain
    6.2 IP, 12 ER, (5.2 IP, 2 ER in intrasquad game, best hitters in that line-up he faced, randy winn and marcus thames, 1 IP, 10 ER, yikes)

Chad Gaudin
    9.1 IP, 9 ER

Sergio Mitre
    14 IP, 5 ER

Alfredo Aceves
    14.1 IP, 6 ER
    Well done.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

The Sausage King of Chicago Abe Frohman's Avatar

Phil Hughes

Joba Chamberlain

Chad Gaudin
    9.1 IP, 9 ER

Sergio Mitre
    14 IP, 5 ER

Alfredo Aceves
    14.1 IP, 6 ER
    Yeah, days of future past ... good stuff.

Except that Girardi stated they were not looking at stats. Many other factors to take into consideration
    besides the numbers they put up in a few starts of friggin ST. I dont really care what happens either
    way as long as Chamberlain is still a starter. Here or AAA will be fine.

Finally had to change avatars NYYRules#1's Avatar
    Bronx, NY (Home of the Yanks!)/Trumbull, CT

FWIW, ESPN Radio was saying today that Joba has the inside track on the 5th spot.
    1923•1927•1928•1932•1936•1937•1938•1939•1941•1943•1947•1949•1950
    1951•1952•1953•1956•1958•1961•1962•1977•1978•1996•1998•1999•2000
    27-TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abe Frohman
    Yeah, days of future past ... good stuff.

Except that Girardi stated they were not looking at stats. Many other factors to take into consideration
    besides the numbers they put up in a few starts of friggin ST. I dont really care what happens either
    way as long as Chamberlain is still a starter. Here or AAA will be fine.
    I really just hope the best man wins. I wish they could both start. That said, to think Girardi and Co. are just going to make a decision based on stats, given the SSS and the fact that these were the first innings of ST, isn't putting a lot of thought into this.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

To think with all the Kid Gloves and " Handle with care " labels that have been slapped on
    Chamberlain the past 2 seasons, for Cashman and Girardi to do him like this would be pretty Effed up.

Has it been said whether or not whoever doesn't get the spot (out of Joba or Hughes) will begin the season in the bullpen or Triple A, or has it not been decided for sure yet?

I could live with Joba in the fifth spot. Give him a chance to build on the innings he accumulated last year and show his qualities in consecutive years as a starter. At the same time give Phil a healthy amount of work in the pen and as a spot starter. If Chamberlain works out, fantastic; if he flounders play switcheroo and let Phil take the spot. Either way, our rotation and pen should be rock solid.

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Yankee Fan
    Has it been said whether or not whoever doesn't get the spot (out of Joba or Hughes) will begin the season in the bullpen or Triple A, or has it not been decided for sure yet?
    I don't have a link but I thought I read somewhere that Girardi said that it was possible but "unlikely" that the one who doesn't get the 5th spot will go to AAA.
    2014 - New Team, New Result

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

NYYF Legend

pretty depressing to think that joba's future is in the pen
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteYankee
    I don't have a link but I thought I read somewhere that Girardi said that it was possible but "unlikely" that the one who doesn't get the 5th spot will go to AAA.
    I recall reading that too.

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteYankee
    seems like it's no longer any type of possibility, even an unlikely one:

"Some times things change because of need," Girardi said when I asked him if he was prepared to pull the starting plug on either of his much-touted former first-round draft picks. "We have four experienced starters here so one of them (Chamberlain or Hughes) will be in the bullpen. That's just the way it is."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba..._pen_fate.html

NYYF HOF

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/sport...-88944892.html

More reports of Hughes as the Favorite.

http://www.neworleans.com/sports/loc...ad-gaudin.html

well Gaudin might be out of the race now....
    NYYFANS.com Fantasy Baseball: Carolina Force
    2010 & 2011 Gehrig Division Champs.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/sport...-88944892.html

More reports of Hughes as the Favorite.

http://www.neworleans.com/sports/loc...ad-gaudin.html

well Gaudin might be out of the race now....
    I thought they put Gaudin on waivers?
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24
    pretty depressing to think that joba's future is in the pen
    Slit your wrists. Make a statement.

NYYF HOF

I will laugh if Hughes wins the job and is f*cking lights out while Joba dominates in the pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellsing
    Slit your wrists. Make a statement.
    uh what?

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

I will laugh if Hughes wins the job and is f*cking lights out while Joba dominates in the pen.
    Why? It doesn't prove the opposite wouldn't have happened. They both have the ability to be above average starters (and relievers), it's just unfortunate that only one can get that role at this point.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

What exactly is funny about that ... Hughes dominating as a ML SP over an extended period of time
    would be a welcome surprise but Chamberlain being lights out in the pen is a given. What else would
    you attribute all the clamor by all the mediots to put him back in a relief role ? Doesnt prove a damn
    thing or make anyone right or wrong.

NYYF Legend

now here is a dumb question, and I know its early but if Phil wins the 5th spot, and Joba is in the pen, what do you do in 2011. Do they both become the 4th adn 5th starters?
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45
    now here is a dumb question, and I know its early but if Phil wins the 5th spot, and Joba is in the pen, what do you do in 2011. Do they both become the 4th adn 5th starters?
    Yanks will have 2 spots to fill next year. One will probably be filled via trade or FA, the other Id like to believe is Jobas but I just dont see how they can do this whole thing over again after a year in the bullpen. I think hes there for good.
    If you listen to the fans you’ll be sitting with them soon enough.- Brian Cashman

NYYF HOF

What exactly is funny about that ... Hughes dominating as a ML SP over an extended period of time
    would be a welcome surprise but Chamberlain being lights out in the pen is a given. What else would
    you attribute all the clamor by all the mediots to put him back in a relief role ? Doesnt prove a damn
    You would see the JTTP en masse again. And watching that again would be worth it.

EDIT: RV beat me to it....NEITHER pitcher is assured success in ANY facet of the game. Phil could be in the pen and bomb as could Joba.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston
    Why? It doesn't prove the opposite wouldn't have happened. They both have the ability to be above average starters (and relievers), it's just unfortunate that only one can get that role at this point.
    That's my point.

I dont think its guaranteed Joba dominates out of the pen again. This isnt the same pitcher as his first go around out there.
    If you listen to the fans you’ll be sitting with them soon enough.- Brian Cashman

Released Outright

Thread Information