Closed Thread
Page 53 of 1567 FirstFirst ... 3 43 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 63 103 153 553 1053 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 39165

Re: Longest Thread Ever 4.0

When I was in junior high school I was entitled to take the bus because I lived farther away than one mile but I chose to walk instead because I could get home faster by walking. I only took the bus when it rained.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by allybear
    What cracks me up is where the busses drop the kids off directly in front of each house. I'm like WTF?!? We had to walk to a bus stop - it didn't kill us and nothing bad happened in the three block walk to the bus stop. Meanwhile, city kids still have to take the regular city bus/subway to school, so I don't get it.
    Around here, the only kids who get door to door service are special needs/handicapped kids in other schools. Everyone else has to walk to the bus. If you live less than a half or quarter mile from the school (something like that), you don't get a bus.
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

What cracks me up is where the busses drop the kids off directly in front of each house. I'm like WTF?!? We had to walk to a bus stop - it didn't kill us and nothing bad happened in the three block walk to the bus stop. Meanwhile, city kids still have to take the regular city bus/subway to school, so I don't get it.
    But as Karen said, parents these days are much more apt to sue.

I guess kids today are more fragile than they used to be.
    Life is good!

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Hate sounding old but I lived on the top of a pretty good size hill and we walked down the hill to the bus stop everyday (unless I skipped school lol) and we walked up the hill everyday after school. Kids here get freaking picked up in front of their house for cripes sake.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967

Pussified is the word I believe according to NYYFans.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs
    When I was in junior high school I was entitled to take the bus because I lived farther away than one mile but I chose to walk instead because I could get home faster by walking. I only took the bus when it rained.
    We had a bus to middle school, but I chose to ride my bike if it was nice out. High school I had no bus, so until I drove, I either walked or took the public bus.

Quote Originally Posted by krystl
    Around here, the only kids who get door to door service are special needs/handicapped kids in other schools. Everyone else has to walk to the bus. If you live less than a half or quarter mile from the school (something like that), you don't get a bus.
    Yes, they always did - when I broke my ankle and had to take the short bus, they picked me up at home, but I've heard of districts now where they drop everyone off at home. I think Vicki used the correct word below.

To be sane is more dramatic than to be mad - GK Chesterton, Orthodoxy

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967

It's not just the parents suing schools. People sue everyone for everything these days.

We had a bus to middle school, but I chose to ride my bike if it was nice out. High school I had no bus, so until I drove, I either walked or took the public bus.
    I didn't take my bike because I cut through about 20 yards. That really shortened my walk home.

I got to know who the "get off my lawn" folks were that way.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Ok, just heard from her. She made it there safely. Said the roads weren't too bad. Only slid a little once. Times like this, I wish she didn't have a Mustang.

Those are rear-wheel drive, right? Does she have any sandbags in her trunk? I'm glad she made it safely, Karen.

It's not just the parents suing schools. People sue everyone for everything these days.
    That is true, but for this instance, though the reason to delay/cancel school to this degree is mainly the fear of the schools/town getting sued.
    Life is good!

WHO THE F CHANGED MY CUT? johnnyyankee's Avatar

Every kid in the district gets bussed...even if they live next door to the school. The bus stops every few houses on our street and groups of kids get on. My kids get on right in front of our house.

I walked over a mile to highschool and my house was not included in what would be considered bussing distance.
    I'm just a simple guy, I live from day to day.
    A ray of sunshine melts my frown, blows my blues away.

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers
    Hate sounding old but I lived on the top of a pretty good size hill and we walked down the hill to the bus stop everyday (unless I skipped school lol) and we walked up the hill everyday after school. Kids here get freaking picked up in front of their house for cripes sake.
    Which is why when I hear kids complaining about how hard they have it, it amuses me. Although in fairness, my parent's generation said the same about mine.
    Life is good!

NYYF Legend

I didn't take my bike because I cut through about 20 yards. That really shortened my walk home.

Most people had fences where I grew up. Not many yards were accessible for cutting through.

NYYF Legend

Hence Muggs with the curmudgeon stuff.

Most people had fences where I grew up. Not many yards were accessible for cutting through.
    Fences didn't stop me. Dogs were a different story, though.

NYYF Legend

I always suspected you were Ferris Bueller.

Another "busser" here. We had to walk up a hill to the stop too, there were maybe three stops our 'hood. Kids within a prescribed radius of the schools were "walkers." And EVERYONE walked or rode their bikes...no getting rides. We only got rides if we missed the bus and my mom was always REALLY pissed when she had to do it.

Also...we always had very few snow days every year. They would only shut down the schools if there was a TON of snow...and my town is very hilly.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by xenadanielle
    Another "busser" here. We had to walk up a hill to the stop too, there were maybe three stops our 'hood. Kids within a prescribed radius of the schools were "walkers." And EVERYONE walked or rode their bikes...no getting rides. We only got rides if we missed the bus and my mom was always REALLY pissed when she had to do it.

Also...we always had very few snow days every year. They would only shut down the schools if there was a TON of snow...and my town is very hilly.
    Same here. We rarely had snow days and where I grew up was in Burlington which is by the Litchfield/Torrington area.....tons of hills. God, I hated that effin town. In the middle of f*cking nowhere.

Holy crap. I feel like I've walked into some nursing-home crabfest. Buncha old farts complaining about how rough they had it back in the old days.

Thanks for making me feel young and adaptable.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Toaderly
    Those are rear-wheel drive, right? Does she have any sandbags in her trunk? I'm glad she made it safely, Karen.
    Yes, it's rear wheel drive, but the difference in the newer RWD cars is that they now have traction control. She has no sand bags. I keep meaning to get some.

My Camaro is RWD too, but it has traction control and something called Stabilitrak, which senses when the wheels are not going the way they are being steered. If I wasn't so afraid of getting salt all over the car and not being able to wash it (an automatic car wash is a no-no), I'd love to take it out in the snow.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3
    Holy crap. I feel like I've walked into some nursing-home crabfest. Buncha old farts complaining about how rough they had it back in the old days.

No wonder youngins were dissin the LTE in the sportsbar

NYYF Legend

I drive Thing 2 to school every day. Her freshman year she got a ride from a senior on the block. Since she goes to private high school, she has to take the public high school bus and transfer to another bus at the public high school, and has to leave the house like an hour and a half before school starts. So I just drive her. It's silly.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3

Actually that's not the case at all. I think kids have it rougher now because their whereabouts have to be accounted for every second of the day. My parents never knew where I was - but they knew I was out somewhere playing and I would come home eventually.

Unfortunately it's a different world now.

You people are making my butt itch.

Thread Information