Closed Thread
Page 1525 of 1567 FirstFirst ... 525 1025 1425 1475 1515 1522 1523 1524 1525 1526 1527 1528 1535 ... LastLast
Results 38,101 to 38,125 of 39165
  1. #38101
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Longest Thread Ever 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by montrealer View Post
    Aren't you glad you asked?
    Trish has given me plenty of ridicule about this in the past. And once I've endured her ridicule, the rest of you are a bunch of pussycats.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  2. #38102

    Re: Longest Thread Ever 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Der Ring des Nibelungen, Richard Wagner's epic "music drama" consisting of four operas. Tonight I have 2-1/2 hours of Das Rheingold, which is barely a warm-up. Then 5 hours of Die Walküre on Saturday (an 11 AM matinee, which pisses me off), 5-1/2 hours of Siegfried on Monday, and finally 6 hours of Götterdämmerung next Thursday. Yes, I admit, it requires a certain...peculiarity on my part to want to do that. But I'm not the only one - the place will be packed.


    "I love the smell of soul-crushing boredom in the morning."
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  3. #38103
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Longest Thread Ever 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post


    "I love the smell of soul-crushing boredom in the morning."
    Hey, that's nothing. Last Friday I went to see "Gatz" at the Public Theater. It consists of an actor playing an office worker who reads/recites the entire text of The Great Gatsby, with some of his co-workers joining in to act out some of the other roles. It's 8 hours long, including intermissions. I loved it.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  4. #38104

    Re: Longest Thread Ever 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    It sure is. That's in Die Walküre (The Valkyrie). It's Wagner's #1 hit single with a bullet (or a spear)

    There are plenty of moments of bliss, just no action. Die Walküre basically has one moment of action, though it's a damn fine moment. It also has incest between twins, but that doesn't take place on stage, thank goodness. The last 40 minutes or so consists of two characters, father and daughter, standing on stage singing to each other, without actually doing anything other than breaking each others' hearts, and their own. It may not be action-packed, but I think it's wrenchingly beautiful.

    The whole thing is really a family drama, and it's the characters that hook me as much as anything else. There's a central character who is, essentially, a middle-aged man who discovers that his life - and his great, grandiose plans for it - just aren't working out the way he thought it would, and he has to face his limitations and be humbled by them. Now there's a character I can identify with.
    The character you can identify with. Wagner the man, probably not so much.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  5. #38105

    Re: Longest Thread Ever 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Hey, that's nothing. Last Friday I went to see "Gatz" at the Public Theater. It consists of an actor playing an office worker who reads/recites the entire text of The Great Gatsby, with some of his co-workers joining in to act out some of the other roles. It's 8 hours long, including intermissions. I loved it.
    You're only saying you liked it to appear quirky and eccentric. It's attention-whorey and pretentious, like the people who go to art galleries to see a showing of blank canvases and pretend to think it's amazing.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  6. #38106
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Longest Thread Ever 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    The character you can identify with. Wagner the man, probably not so much.
    Yeah, I didn't mention the evil, scheming, gold-grubbing Jew dwarf characters. That Wagner was a sweetheart.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  7. #38107

    Re: Longest Thread Ever 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yeah, I didn't mention the evil, scheming, gold-grubbing Jew dwarf characters. That Wagner was a sweetheart.
    Nazis seem to like him well enough. (I guess I can't get past that with Wagner.... that and the fact my father played Wagner constantly and by the time I was 5 years old I was sick of hearing Wagner)
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  8. #38108
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Longest Thread Ever 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    You're only saying you liked it to appear quirky and eccentric. It's attention-whorey and pretentious, like the people who go to art galleries to see a showing of blank canvases and pretend to think it's amazing.
    I have no problem appearing quirky and eccentric without that. I didn't say I liked it, I said I loved it, and I said it because I really did. I meant no offense to you in saying so, and don't know why you find it necessary to be an insulting, judgmental dickhead about it.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  9. #38109

    Re: Longest Thread Ever 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I have no problem appearing quirky and eccentric without that. I didn't say I liked it, I said I loved it, and I said it because I really did. I meant no offense to you in saying so, and don't know why you find it necessary to be an insulting, judgmental dickhead about it.
    I took no offense, apparently unlike yourself.

    I was giving you my non-professional diagnosis.

    No charge.

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Trish has given me plenty of ridicule about this in the past. And once I've endured her ridicule, the rest of you are a bunch of pussycats.
    Achievement unlocked.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  10. #38110

    Re: Longest Thread Ever 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    You're only saying you liked it to appear quirky and eccentric. It's attention-whorey and pretentious, like the people who go to art galleries to see a showing of blank canvases and pretend to think it's amazing.
    Wagner is one of the giants of opera. He's not to my taste but there's no denying his greatness as a musician and the throng of people who adore his music.


    I've told this story before - my dad was crazy about Wagner. He would play the complete Ring Cycle on the record player and at the moment of the last note he would go to the record player and lift the tone arm from the record before the last note ended. Now that's quirky.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  11. #38111

    Re: Longest Thread Ever 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Wagner is one of the giants of opera. He's not to my taste but there's no denying his greatness as a musician and the throng of people who adore his music.


    I've told this story before - my dad was crazy about Wagner. He would play the complete Ring Cycle on the record player and at the moment of the last note he would go to the record player and lift the tone arm from the record before the last note ended. Now that's quirky.
    I was talking about that other thing-- and it was only because I picked up the gauntlet John apparently forgot he threw down.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  12. #38112
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Longest Thread Ever 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I took no offense, apparently unlike yourself.

    I was giving you my non-professional diagnosis.

    No charge.



    Achievement unlocked.
    Occasionally, insulting judgmental dickhead pussycats.

    Seriously, I'm not suggesting anyone else go see it. It's one of my favorite books ever, and the play illuminated it in ways I'd never imagined before, in terms of the writing and, most especially, the character. I've been thinking about it ever since. Just because you can't imagine liking it doesn't mean other people must be faking it.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  13. #38113
    Movin' on Bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Clifton Park, New York

    Re: Longest Thread Ever 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by montrealer View Post
    Aren't you glad you asked?
    Our band plays a lot of Wagner...it's usually fun to play and challenging. I'll bet John didn't know his friends called him Dick Wagner though.
    Let the kids play.

  14. #38114

    Re: Longest Thread Ever 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Occasionally, insulting judgmental dickhead pussycats.

    Seriously, I'm not suggesting anyone else go see it. It's one of my favorite books ever, and the play illuminated it in ways I'd never imagined before, in terms of the writing and, most especially, the character. I've been thinking about it ever since. Just because you can't imagine liking it doesn't mean other people must be faking it.
    Seriously-- whatever makes you happy.

    I was just trying to get under your skin because you said it wouldn't happen.

    I stand knee-deep in the ocean fishing for hours at a time in the rain in the middle of the night-- I don't judge anyone.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  15. #38115
    Movin' on Bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Clifton Park, New York

    Re: Longest Thread Ever 4.0

    Come to think of it, despite our concert tomorrow night being mostly a 1920 program, we're playing Wagner's Lohengrin.
    Let the kids play.

  16. #38116

    Re: Longest Thread Ever 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Come to think of it, despite our concert tomorrow night being mostly a 1920 program, we're playing Wagner's Lohengrin.
    The only Wagner piece I play is the Bridal Chorus from Lohengrin. (Although I try to "suggest" other alternatives)
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  17. #38117
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Longest Thread Ever 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Our band plays a lot of Wagner...it's usually fun to play and challenging. I'll bet John didn't know his friends called him Dick Wagner though.
    I think a lot of people called him much worse than that.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  18. #38118
    NYYF Legend

    Trish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Long Island

    Re: Longest Thread Ever 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yep, Trish, it's dragons-and-fairies week again.
    Pee before you leave.
    She sits there so refined and drinks herself half blind
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson -

  19. #38119
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Longest Thread Ever 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    Pee before you leave.
    Or bring a jar with me.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  20. #38120
    Call now. Soriambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: Longest Thread Ever 4.0

    I'm judging both of you and you're both strange. (You too, Trish).
    -Kevin

    "My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan


    RIP, Pete.

  21. #38121
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Longest Thread Ever 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    I'm judging both of you and you're both strange. (You too, Trish).
    Says the asexual, disembodied entity.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  22. #38122
    Call now. Soriambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: Longest Thread Ever 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Says the asexual, disembodied entity.
    Who better to judge?
    -Kevin

    "My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan


    RIP, Pete.

  23. #38123
    Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Longest Thread Ever 4.0

    T-minus 31 minutes until my weekend begins!
    Life is good!

  24. #38124
    Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Longest Thread Ever 4.0

    and I'm out!
    Life is good!

  25. #38125
    R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

    Re: Longest Thread Ever 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    I still think they should get a second opinion on that one.
    Here's yer certified licensed pro: Dr Quack:

    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts