+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 19 20 21 22

Re: UEFA Euro 2012 Thread

UEFA Euro 2012

Knockout Stage

Semifinals Fixtures: Thursday June 28, 2012

From UEFA.com

With defending and two-time UEFA European champions Spain booking their place in the final, who will join them?

The second semifinal pits three-time winners Germany against Euro 1968 winners Italy in a rematch of the 2006 FIFA World Cup semifinal where the Azzurri eliminated the Die Mannschaft in Dortmund 2-0 after extra time en route to their fourth World Cup title against France in penalties.

28 June 2012
    Germany 20:45 Italy
    Referee: Stéphane Lannoy (FRA) – Stadium: National Stadium Warsaw, Warsaw (POL)
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

BB55's Picks - UEFA Euro 2012 Semifinal: Germany v. Italy

The Poland part of UEFA Euro 2012 stages their finale as three-time UEFA European champions Germany take on Euro 1968 winners Italy in Warsaw to see who will take on defending and two-time UEFA European winners Spain in Kiev on Sunday.

These two European giants have met seven times in major tournaments, but Italy hasn't lost to Germany in any competitive match.

The last time these two teams met in a major tournament, the Azzurri outlasted the Die Mannschaft 2-0 after extra time in the 2006 FIFA World Cup semifinals in Dortmund from late goals in the final minute of the second half of extra time from Fabio Grosso and Alessandro del Piero.

This time, Joachim Low and Germany want revenge while Cesare Prandelli and Italy wants the repeat and another crack at Spain in the final.

Even though Germany is the best scoring team in the tournament with nine goals, Italy showed that they have the creative bite and flair with their attack with 50 attempts on target. Both team's possession numbers are close with Germany having a slight edge 57% to Italy's 54%.

There are tons to matchups on the pitch that can decide the game.

1. The Midfield Battle
    The German midfield led by Bayern Munich's Bastian Schweinsteiger and Real Madrid's Sami Khedira will have their jobs on the Juventus duo of young gun Claudio Marchisio and veteran Andrea Pirlo. Not to mention, Prandelli also has recently signed AC Milan midfielder Riccardo Montolivo up his sleeve with fellow Rossoneri teammate Antonio Nocerino on the bench and also Bologna's Alessandro Diamanti who impressed Prandelli with his performance against England in the quarterfinals.

Meanwhile, Roma's Daniele De Rossi has his job on Real Madrid playmaker Mesut Ozil. But Low can counter with Bayern's Toni Kroos. Whoever can create more space and deny the other by clogging up can dictate who wins.

2. AC Milan full-back Ignazio Abate vs. Bayern Munich and Germany captain Philipp Lamm
    This will be a test for both Abate and Lamm. Who can go forward and pin the other deep and playing defensively will be interesting.

3. The Central defense vs. forward pairings/trios
    Italy's central defensive partnership and fellow Juventus center halves Andrea Barzagli and Giorgio Chiellini will have their tasks on the Bayern Munich duo of Mario Gomez and Thomas Muller. Gomez is looking to win the European Golden Boot of the tournament since he is tied for the lead with three goals along with already eliminated candidates Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo, Russia's Mario Mandžukić and Russia's Alan Dzagoev. Low also has the likes of veteran Miroslav Klose and Borussia Monchengladbach's Marco Reus in their arsenal. Losing Napoli wingback Christian Maggio to yellow card accumulation is a blow for the Azzurri.

Meanwhile, Bayern Munich's Holger Badstuber and Jerome Boateng along with Borussia Dortmund's Mats Hummels will have their jobs on Manchester City's Mario Balotelli and AC Milan's Antonio Cassano with Udinese's Antonio Di Natale in Prandelli's back pocket. Boateng's looks vulnerable and lost at right back after his disastrous performance against Greece after Giorgos Samaras burned him for the equalizer and conceding a penalty for a handball.

The set piece and aerial wars will also be key.

Prediction: With a battle between two positive-minded teams, it will be a tough call. Both teams will fight, scratch and claw like rabid dogs scrapping over for a bone.

Even though Italy played 120 minutes and went into penalties on Sunday against England, I think they will still be up for this game with a berth in the final against Spain on the line.

In a coin flip situation, I think this game will have tons of chances that will go into extra time and into penalties. I tip Germany in penalties over Italy, but only just after a 1-1 draw after extra time.

BB55's Final Verdict: Germany over Italy 6-5 in penalties after a 1-1 draw after extra time.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    BB55's Final Verdict: Germany over Italy 6-5 in penalties after a 1-1 draw after extra time.
    Not looking good for this result. 2-0 Italians midway through.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

FT from Warsaw

Ramin, gutted. Lou aka Tifoso, in tears of joy.

Italy goes to the UEFA Euro 2012 finals after a 2-1 win over Germany!

UEFA Euro 2012

Knockout Stages

Semifinals FT Scores: Thursday June 28, 2012

From UEFA.com

Ramin has a mixed bag moment while Lou aka Tifoso is beaming with glee.

UEFA Euro 1968 winners Italy will be in Kiev for the final as they outlasted three-time UEFA European Champions Germany 2-1.

Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli bagged a first-half brace while Real Madrid playmaker Mesut Ozil made things interesting with a stoppage time penalty.

The Azzurri lead 1-0 after 20 minutes after AC Milan striker Antonio Cassano bullied the German defense on the left hand side and fed Balotelli who poked it past Manuel Neuer to give Italy a 1-0 lead.

Germany creating chance after chance before and after Balotelli's first goal, but legendary Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon kept the Die Mannschaft at bay.

Buffon went on to make six saves in the match.

In the 36th minute, Balotelli scored his second after a long clearance finds him onside, controls well and fired a bullet into the top corner. What a strike.

Germany looked rattled. Bayern Munich's Mario Gomez had only one shot and it wasn't on target. Toni Kroos, who started the game, had five shots, but only one on target while Thomas Muller was on the bench and didn't get in the game until the 71st minute. Lukas Poldolski was also neutralized.

The Italian midfield led by the Juventus duo of Andrea Pirlo and Claudio Marchisio and the Italian defense led by the returning Juventus defender Giorgio Chiellini and fellow Juve teammate Andrea Barzagli did their number on the likes of Gomez and Muller.

Things got interesting in stoppage time when Federico Balzaretti conceded a penalty for his handball in the box. Ozil stepped up and scored with two minutes of stoppage time played.

Joachim Low's team had one more chance and Neuer came up, but played it short and the full time whistle blew.

Italy vs. Spain in a rematch of their 1-1 draw in the group stages in Kiev on Sunday.

Ramin is gutted that Germany didn't reach the final and another missed chance for the young German side to win a major tournament. But Ramin will be happy that his Barcelona teammates in the Spanish camp are in the final.

As for Lou aka Tifoso, he saw Italy win a FIFA World Cup in 2006. Now, he has a chance to see Italy win UEFA Euro 2012.

Germany 1-2 Spain

Pedro Proenca to referee Spain-Italy
    http://espnfc.com/us/en/news/1119201...painitaly.html

UEFA Euro 2012

Knockout Stage

The Final from Kiev, Ukraine: Sunday July 1, 2012

From UEFA.com

It's the climax of the UEFA Euro 2012 Football/Soccer tournament.

Two legendary giants in the game face off in Kiev's Olympic Stadium as Spain takes on Italy.

Will La Roja Furia be the first team in UEFA European Football Championship history to repeat as champion, the first team in national football team history to win three straight major tournaments and join Germany as nations who won three UEFA European titles?

Or will the Azzurri win their first European title since 1968 and overcoming their heartbreak the last time they went to a European final against France in UEFA Euro 2000 Belgium/Netherlands?

1 July 2012
    Spain 20:45 Italy
    Referee: Pedro Proença (POR) – Stadium: Olympic Stadium, Kyiv (UKR)

BB55's Picks - UEFA Euro 2012 Final: Spain vs. Italy (Part 1 of 2)

UEFA Euro 2012's finale pits two of the most successful football/soccer giants on the planet: defending and two-time UEFA European champions Spain vs. UEFA Euro 1968 winners Italy.

Will La Roja Furia be the first team in UEFA European Football Championship history to win back-to-back titles, join Germany as nations who won three UEFA European championships and be the first national team in world football to win three straight major championships?

Or will the Azzurri, like in 2006, playing with adversity due to match-fixing scandals in Serie A, overcome their nightmares in the UEFA Euro 2000 final against France after losing to Les Bleus in the final in Belgium/Netherlands off a David Trezeguet silver goal to win their first UEFA European title since 1968?

In my 2-part preview, I will talk about what formations and player personnel each team will use. In Part 2, the key matchups for each team and my prediction.

Here are the formations each team will use.

For Italy's Cesare Prandelli, he will stick to his 4-1-3-2 formation.
    GK: Gianluigi Buffon
    LB: Federico Balzaretti
    CB: Andrea Barzagli
    CB: Giorgio Chiellini
    RB: Ignazio Abate
    DM: Andrea Pirlo
    RW: Claudio Marchisio
    AM: Riccardo Montolivo
    LW: Daniele De Rossi
    ST: Antonio Cassano
    ST: Mario Balotelli

For Spain's Vicente del Bosque, this will be tricky for him. Does he continue using his "False Number Nine" style of the 4-6-0 leaving the likes of Fernando Torres and Fernando Llorente on the bench or will he go with a 4-5-1 formation with Torres or Llorente starting?

If VDB goes with the 4-6-0 aka False Nine, then I think he will start Barcelona's Cesc Fabregas.

The 4-6-0 or "False Nine" formation
    GK: Iker Casillas
    LB: Jordi Alba
    CB: Gerard Pique
    CB: Sergio Ramos
    RB: Alvaro Arbeloa
    LM: Xabi Alonso
    CM: Sergio Busquets
    RM: Xavi
    LF: Andres Iniesta
    CF: Cesc Fabregas
    RF: David Silva

The flexible 4-5-1 formation. Cesc Fabregas on the bench. One of Fernando Llorente or Fernando Torres up front. I prefer Llorente who can give Spain an aerial threat and a better touch on the ball than Torres with Iniesta and Silva supporting him down the wings on top.

GK: Iker Casillas
    LB: Jordi Alba
    CB: Gerard Pique
    CB: Sergio Ramos
    RB: Alvaro Arbeloa
    LM: Xabi Alonso
    CM: Sergio Busquets
    RM: Xavi
    LW: Andres Iniesta
    RW: David Silva
    ST: Fernando Llorente

BB55's Picks - UEFA Euro 2012 Final: Spain vs. Italy (Part 2 of 2)

These are my key matchups that can decide the final...

1. AC Milan and Italy international right back Ignazio Abate vs. recently signed Barcelona left back and Spanish international Jordi Alba
    Why? This is one fascinating treat to watch down the wing. Both Abate and Alba like to thunder down the wing and open up defenses with their runs. Whoever can pin the other and forcing to defend can be key in this game.

2. The midfield wars
    Why? Both midfields are world class with Italy leading the way with the Juventus duo of Andrea Pirlo and Claudio Marchisio while Spain counters with Xavi and Andres Iniesta. Sergio Busquets and Xabi Alonso vs. Pirlo and Marchisio is the main intriguing matchup in central midfield. Whoever wins that battle can dictate which way the match pendulum swings.

3. The finishing...
    Why? The Spanish defense has allowed only one goal against the run of play all tournament, but the central defensive partnership of Barcelona's Gerard Pique and Real Madrid's Sergio Ramos will have their hands full with AC Milan's Antonio Cassano and Manchester City's Mario Balotelli. Cassano and Balotelli bullied the English and German defenses in the knockout stages. Balotelli has a chance to win the golden boot as the tournament's top scorer where he has three goals along with Cristiano Ronaldo, Mario Gomez, Mario Mandzukic and Alan Dzagoev.

As for Spain, they can really use the likes of Barcelona striker David Villa right now. Even though Spain has the second most goals in the tournament with eight, they don't have a lethal finisher like Villa is up front. Chelsea's Fernando Torres has two goals, but that was against a sloppy Ireland defense and his first touch is poor at times. Adding Athletic Bilbao tall striker Fernando Llorente can help especially in aerial attacks in set pieces, but he has yet to play a single minute in the tournament. The Italian central defense pairing of Juventus duo of Andrea Barzagli and Giorgio Chiellini will give Spain a challenge.

BB55's Prediction: With both teams very positive in attack and watertight in defense with two top notch goalkeepers in the world, it is a very tough game to call.

This will be more exciting than their last UEFA Euro encounter which was in the quarterfinals of UEFA Euro 2008 Austria/Switzerland where Spain outlasted Italy in 4-2 penalties after a goalless draw.

But this is a different Italy team under Cesare Prandelli in contrast under Marcelo Lippi that won the 2006 FIFA World Cup and Roberto Donadoni who led the UEFA Euro 2008 squad.

The former Fiorentina boss added an attacking flair to the team while maintaining their defensive and set piece prowess and I expect Italy to take the game to Spain like they did in the first group game.

As for Spain, they still have the possession football style, but can be prone to counterattacks.

I think this game will be high scoring in normal time that forces extra time with nice challenges from both sides and both teams going for the win in both halves in extra time where no goals will exist and go into penalties.

In a coin flip, I'm going with Spain over Italy, but by the skin of their teeth.

BB55's Final Verdict: Spain over Italy 5-4 in penalties after a 2-2 draw after extra time.

Not a fan of either team but I have many Italian friends and with all the scandals happening in Their leagues they need something good to happen............that being said 2-0 Spain.........

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

I see mon ami above me is toking the pipe........

UEFA Euro 2012 Knockout Stage - The Final: Spain v. Italy

Team News from UEFA.com and ESPN Soccernet
    Referee: Pedro Proença (POR) – Stadium: Olympic Stadium, Kyiv (UKR)

SPAIN
    Manager: Vicente del Bosque

LINE-UP
    POS No Name
    G 1 Iker Casillas
    D 3 Gerard Piqué
    D 15 Sergio Ramos
    D 17 Álvaro Arbeloa
    D 18 Jordi Alba
    M 8 Xavi
    M 14 Xabi Alonso
    M 16 Sergio Busquets
    F 6 Andrés Iniesta
    F 10 Cesc Fábregas
    F 21 David Silva

SUBSTITUTES
    POS No Name
    G 12 Victor Valdés
    G 23 Pepe Reina
    D 2 Raúl Albiol
    M 4 Javi Martínez
    M 5 Francisco Juanfran
    M 7 Pedro
    M 13 Juan Mata
    M 20 Santi Cazorla
    M 22 Jesús Navas
    F 9 Fernando Torres
    F 11 Álvaro Negredo
    F 19 Fernando Llorente

ITALY
    Manager: Cesare Prandelli

LINE-UP
    POS No Name
    G 1 Gianluigi Buffon
    D 3 Giorgio Chiellini
    D 7 Ignazio Abate
    D 15 Andrea Barzagli
    D 19 Leonardo Bonucci
    M 8 Claudio Marchisio
    M 16 Daniele De Rossi
    M 18 Riccardo Montolivo
    M 21 Andrea Pirlo
    F 9 Mario Balotelli
    F 10 Antonio Cassano

SUBSTITUTES
    POS No Name
    G 12 Salvatore Sirigu
    G 14 Morgan De Sanctis
    D 2 Christian Maggio
    D 4 Angelo Ogbonna
    D 6 Federico Balzaretti
    M 5 Thiago Motta
    M 20 Sebastian Giovinco
    M 23 Antonio Nocerino
    F 11 Antonio Di Natale
    F 13 Emanuele Giaccherini
    F 17 Fabio Borini
    F 22 Alessandro Diamanti

I'm off to the bar in San Jose to watch the final.

Congrats to Spain and Italy has nothing to be ashamed of............

UEFA Euro 2012

Knockout Stage

The Final from Kiev, Ukraine FT Scores: Sunday July 1, 2012

From UEFA.com

Viva Espana was the chant all over Madrid, Barcelona, Sevilla, La Coruna, Malaga and other Spanish territories as Spain made history in the 2012 UEFA European Championship Final in Kiev, Ukraine outclassing UEFA Euro 1968 winners Italy 4-0.

Spanish national team coach Vicente del Bosque adds the UEFA European title to his list of achievements with the 2010 FIFA World Cup as national team coach and also his Spanish La Liga and UEFA Champions League crowns with Real Madrid.

La Roja Furia got on the board first in the 14th minute when Spain's short passing finds Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas down the right wing as the False Number Nine player. He won the ball down the right side and whipped in a cross back to Manchester City playmaker David Silva who heads it in while charging towards the goal to give Spain a 1-0 lead.

The Spanish defense led by Gerard Pique and Sergio Ramos neutralized and nullified Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli who was held to two shots, none on target.

It got even worse for Cesare Prandelli and the Azzurri when Juventus defender Giorgio Chiellini had to leave the game with an injury in the 21st minute. Federico Balzaretti replaced Chiellini.

Spain doubled their lead in the 41st minute when newly signed Barcelona left back Jordi Alba started his sprint and his current teammate with the Catalans, Xavi, threaded a pass that gored through three defenders and Alba darted and scored to make it 2-0 Spain.

Prandelli took AC Milan striker Antonio Cassano off before the start of the second half and replaced him with Udinese talisman Antonio Di Natale. Di Natale had two chances, one a header that was just over the crossbar and the other saved by Iker Casillas.

But that was as close Italy can get in getting a goal.

Former Atletico Madrid and Liverpool turned Chelsea striker Fernando Torres came on and scored his third goal of the tournament with six minutes to go to give Spain a 3-0 lead.

Torres sets up Juan Mata with two minutes to go and adding icing to Spain's cake and a golden boot to his name.

For Spain, they made history as they are the first team in UEFA European Football Championship history to win back-to-back titles.

For Italy, disappointed today, but they can look back at it with success. They had a great run.

Spain 4-0 Italy

New boss wanted for Les Bleus: Laurent Blanc steps down as France national team coach
    http://espnfc.com/us/en/news/1120341...nce-coach.html

BB55's Take: Spain winning the UEFA Euro 2012 final

With their UEFA Euro 2012 win in Poland/Ukraine, does this current Spain golden generation make their claim as the best national side era ever?

I think with winning three straight major tournaments including being the first team to successfully defend their UEFA European Football Championship title and winning the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa, this Spanish team from 2008 to the present has an argument.

Not even the Brazilian team between 1958-1970 who were led by Pepe or the Brazilian team between 1994-2007 that had a beastly prime Ronaldo and Rivaldo and veterans like Romario, Cafu, Roberto Carlos and Claudio Taffarel has ever won three straight major tournaments in a row like Spain does.

With due respect to CONMEBOL's Copa America, Spain repeated their continental championship in the toughest confederation in the world with tons of depth in UEFA.

Also, it is the way La Roja Furia committed themselves to possession with their tiki-taka style football.

Luis Aragones, bad mouth controversy and all stemming from the Thierry Henry incident, laid out the foundation for the UEFA Euro 2008 Spanish winning side with his successor Vicente del Bosque maintaining it and adding the "False Number Nine" tactics to it.

Not only Spain did it with their possession football, La Roja Furia also did it with defense.

Spain's 2010 FIFA World Cup winning team allowed two goals, that's one less than Brazil's team in 1994.

In the 2012 UEFA European tournament, Spain allowed only one goal and had a 509-minute shutout streak thanks to the defense led by Gerard Pique and Sergio Ramos.

Does this current Spanish golden generation have a lot left in the tank to continue dominating? I think they do. Sure, they have Xavi Hernandez, Xabi Alonso, David Villa, Carles Puyol and Iker Casillas in their 30s, but Cesc Fabregas, David Silva, Sergio Ramos, Gerard Pique and Juan Mata are in their mid-20s and still have a couple of FIFA World Cups and UEFA European Championships.

Also, del Bosque is not afraid to give young players caps like Mata, Pedro, Thiago Alcantara and down the road Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea and Athletic Bilbao's Iker Muniain.

It won't be easy for Spain to win four major tournaments in a row with the 2014 FIFA World Cup coming up in Brazil, but if they do, they will enhance their standings as the best national side era ever.

BB55's UEFA Euro 2012 Team of the Tournament: 23-man squad (The Studs)

Now that UEFA Euro 2012 is in the history books, here are my studs for the UEFA Euro 2012 tournament, 23-man squad style.

Starting XI
    Formation: 4-4-2
    Manager: Vicente del Bosque, Spain; Assistant: Cesare Prandelli, Italy

GK: Gianluigi Buffon, Italy
    RB: Glen Johnson, England
    CB: Gerard Pique, Spain
    CB: Sergio Ramos, Spain
    LB: Jordi Alba, Spain
    LM: Xavi Hernandez, Spain
    CM: Andrea Pirlo, Italy
    CM: Mesut Ozil, Germany
    RM: Joao Moutinho, Portugal
    FW: Cristiano Ronaldo, Portugal
    FW: Mario Balotelli, Italy

Substitutes
    GK: Iker Casillas, Spain
    GK: Joe Hart, England
    DF: Theodor Gebre Selassie, Czech Republic
    DF: Mats Hummels, Germany
    DF: Giorgio Chiellini, Italy
    DF: Andrea Barzagli, Italy
    MF: Claudio Marchisio, Italy
    MF: David Silva, Spain
    MF: Steven Gerrard, England
    MF: Sergio Busquets, Spain
    FW: Mario Gomez, Germany
    FW: Fernando Torres, Spain

BB55's UEFA Euro 2012 Team of the Tournament: 23-man squad (The Duds)

Now that UEFA Euro 2012 is in the history books, here are my duds for the UEFA Euro 2012 tournament, 23-man squad style.

Starting XI
    Formation: 4-4-2
    Manager: Bert van Marwijk, Netherlands; Assistant: Laurent Blanc, France

GK: Wojciech Szczesny, Poland
    RB: Gregory van der Wiel, Netherlands
    CB: Sean St Ledger, Ireland
    CB: John Heitinga, Netherlands
    LB: Jetro Willems, Netherlands
    LM: Ashley Young, England
    CM: Nigel de Jong, Netherlands
    CM: Christian Eriksen, Denmark
    RM: Arjen Robben, Netherlands
    FW: Aleksandr Kerzhakov, Russia
    FW: Karim Benzema, France

Substitutes
    GK: Shay Given, Ireland
    GK: Kostas Chalkias, Greece
    DF: John O'Shea, Ireland
    DF: Richard Dunne, Ireland
    DF: Stephen Ward, Ireland
    DF: Joris Mathijsen, Netherlands
    MF: Glenn Whelan, Ireland
    MF: Keith Andrews, Ireland
    MF: James Milner, England
    MF: Konstantin Zyryanov, Russia
    FW: Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, Netherlands
    FW: Robin van Persie, Netherlands

Well, I enjoyed covering UEFA Euro 2012 with all of you.

I can't wait for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil and UEFA Euro 2016 where that tournament will be held in France and also expanded to 24 teams.

Thread Information