+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 30 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1069
  1. #976
    Richmond Virginians
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Richmond Va

    Re: Offseason All-Purpose Minor League Thread

    Per LoHud the Yankees have signed former Pirates first-round pick John Van Benschoten to a minor league deal. Van Benschoten was the eighth overall pick in 2001, but he was also one of several early Pirates draft picks who never worked out at the big league level.

  2. #977
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hartford, CT

    Re: Offseason All-Purpose Minor League Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dpbddd99
    Per LoHud the Yankees have signed former Pirates first-round pick John Van Benschoten to a minor league deal. Van Benschoten was the eighth overall pick in 2001, but he was also one of several early Pirates draft picks who never worked out at the big league level.
    How underwhelming.

  3. #978

    Re: Offseason All-Purpose Minor League Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dpbddd99
    Per LoHud the Yankees have signed former Pirates first-round pick John Van Benschoten to a minor league deal. Van Benschoten was the eighth overall pick in 2001, but he was also one of several early Pirates draft picks who never worked out at the big league level.
    As I recall, Van Benschoten was considered a 1st round talent with the bat as well- though that was almost a decade ago. He had VERY good power for a college OF bat.

    I was never impressed with his "stuff" as a pitcher- I wonder if the Yanks could try and Ankiel and move him to the OF again?

  4. #979
    Released Outright CallOfTheCrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ

    Re: Offseason All-Purpose Minor League Thread

    Chad Jennings:

    • I saw Jorge Vazquez hit a few bombs today. Nothing off the top of the scoreboard, but he can hit them pretty far.

  5. #980

    Re: Offseason All-Purpose Minor League Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kan_t
    I fully expect Jairo Heredia to have a breakout season. Before the injury I view him as a better pitcher than Manny. And he didn't lose much when he came back.
    Heredia is a fringe prospect. If he hadn't sign that big bonus nobody would bother talking about him.

  6. #981

    Re: Offseason All-Purpose Minor League Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CallOfTheCrow
    5 Questions with Chris Garcia, per the lohud:

    What has this process been like? You know the stuff is there to pitch, but something seems to always happen.

    Garcia: Frustrating. If it isnít the elbow, itís the knee. The oblique. Something. But I think everything happens for a reason. Hopefully I find out what the reason is. I think with everything happening, itís made be better physically and mentally.

    How has your stuff come back from all of this?

    Garcia: I have better control than I used to have. I think Iím more of a pitcher now than a thrower since all of those injuries. I didnít have a changeup before, now itís one of my best pitchesÖ I incorporate the changeup a lot now. I have four things to play with. Before I had two. I had the four-seamer and the curveball, thatís it. I had zero changeup, zero sinker. Now I have the sinker and the changeup, so I have more to choose from in different situations.

    Could you take me through the history of the injuries.

    Garcia: Whew. Started off with the elbow. I had Tommy John. Then I had knee surgery. Pulled my oblique. Then I had elbow surgery again, I had it in June, this summer.

    What do you differently to try to avoid the injuries?

    Garcia: I do a lot more stuff for the shoulder, and more forearms, more running. Iím on a better program than I used to have. And also, not going out there, throwing the ball as hard as I can every time I touch a baseball. Now Iím a little more mature. You know youíre spots. After you throw your bullpen, the next day, take it easy. Donít go out there throwing long toss, throwing the ball hard.

    Does it feel good that you havenít been forgotten through all this?

    Garcia: Definitely. Itís awesome. Most people probably would have been forgotten. It definitely feels good that they havenít forgotten, that they never gave up. Itís very nice.
    Translation, his fastball is history.

  7. #982

    Re: Offseason All-Purpose Minor League Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch
    Vizcaino and AJax both are on there, too.
    Thanks for the reminder.

  8. #983
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: Offseason All-Purpose Minor League Thread


  9. #984
    Released Outright Melan-cynic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    19.6 miles from YS

    Re: Offseason All-Purpose Minor League Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84
    He was one of my favorite unheralded picks last year. I really liked this part:

    Graham Stoneburner: My fastball usually sits 92-96 and has topped out at 97.

  10. #985

    Re: Offseason All-Purpose Minor League Thread

    So Brackman won the team Skeeball competition....



    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2010/03/0...in-basketball/



    ....good sign for his control?
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

  11. #986
    Released Outright Melan-cynic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    19.6 miles from YS

    Re: Offseason All-Purpose Minor League Thread

    I predict a 1.00 bb/9.

  12. #987
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Orange County

    Re: Offseason All-Purpose Minor League Thread

    YANKS SIGN ANOTHER FORMER 1 RD SELECTION http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...7631#more-7631

  13. #988

    Re: Offseason All-Purpose Minor League Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankyfan
    YANKS SIGN ANOTHER FORMER 1 RD SELECTION http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...7631#more-7631
    This was already discussed on the previous page of this thread.

  14. #989
    Richmond Virginians
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Richmond Va

  15. #990

    Re: Offseason All-Purpose Minor League Thread

    This is interesting. I wonder if this is more of a reflection on his doubts about Tate, or being impressed with Heathcott. I'd lean towards the former. But would he take Reymond Fuentes over Heathcott...

  16. #991

    Re: Offseason All-Purpose Minor League Thread

    I can't believe that an obvious Yankee hater like Jim Callis would say that, especially since they rated Tate as the best prospect in the Padres' system.

  17. #992
    Released Outright Melan-cynic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    19.6 miles from YS

    Re: Offseason All-Purpose Minor League Thread

    Dee Dee Dee.

    You're Whooshing on the point here. No one said Callis never credits or touts Yankees prospects, but more often than not he marginalizes them.

    Callis is a "what have you done for me lately" guy. I can guarantee you if the Yankees hadn't won the WS in 2009, he'd be singing a much different tune RE: all things Yankees.

    After the 2008 season Callis spoke as if the Yankees were a dying franchise. Since they won it all he considers them the team to beat. He's a guy who is extremely conservative with his projections and just happens to be even more conservative with Yankees prospects (see Casey Kelly vs. Manny Banuelos).

  18. #993

    Re: Offseason All-Purpose Minor League Thread

    Really? A Carlos Mencia reference?

    I'm not missing the point. The point is that you're making this up. Callis does not marginalize Yankee prospects, and you can't provide any evidence that he does, because no such evidence exists. I can guarantee you that Callis' opinion on Yankee prospects did not change because the MLB team won the World Series. I mean, you're just making things up about the guy.

    Callis' opinion of Kelly and Banuelos is the consensus opinion. I think Kelly is overrated, but he's overrated by almost everyone. Callis actually has Kelly lower than most scouts that I've read. He has him lower than Manuel does (by 7 spots), and he has Jesus Montero higher than Manuel does. He was one of the biggest supporters of Jose Tabata a couple of years ago, and he was also very high on Austin Jackson for the last few years.

    Jim Callis is a fan of prospects that he thinks will be good. He criticizes prospects that he thinks will be bad.

  19. #994
    Released Outright Melan-cynic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    19.6 miles from YS

    Re: Offseason All-Purpose Minor League Thread

    So when he goes with the consensus like Montero you use it as an example that he is "pro" Yankee but when he goes against Banuelos you say it's the "consensus" but he is not "anti" Yankee. Interesting logic you got there. It's not a game when you always win!

    Btw, go take a look at Callis' comments on Vizcaino [pre-trade] as well as his flipflopping with Phil Hughes [he's great, he's a 4th starter, he's good again] or even his marginalizing of David Robertson.

    I don't have the time or the desire to go search through all of Callis' chats because I already read them to begin with. If you don't think he generally has a tendency to underplay Yankee prospects and overvalue Red Sox prospects [cough Lars Anderson] have fun with that.

  20. #995
    Released Outright CallOfTheCrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ

    Re: Offseason All-Purpose Minor League Thread

    Didn't someone (not sure if it was Callis) compare Michael Bowden to Phil Hughes?

  21. #996
    Released Outright Melan-cynic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    19.6 miles from YS

    Re: Offseason All-Purpose Minor League Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CallOfTheCrow
    Didn't someone (not sure if it was Callis) compare Michael Bowden to Phil Hughes?
    On more than one occasion.

    Bowden's stats are comparable but to say they are similar prospects as a whole would mean Callis purposely omitted how their stuff compares or scouting, which is, you know, his job...

  22. #997

    Re: Offseason All-Purpose Minor League Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Melan-cynic
    So when he goes with the consensus like Montero you use it as an example that he is "pro" Yankee but when he goes against Banuelos you say it's the "consensus" but he is not "anti" Yankee. Interesting logic you got there. It's not a game when you always win!

    Btw, go take a look at Callis' comments on Vizcaino [pre-trade] as well as his flipflopping with Phil Hughes [he's great, he's a 4th starter, he's good again] or even his marginalizing of David Robertson.

    I don't have the time or the desire to go search through all of Callis' chats because I already read them to begin with. If you don't think he generally has a tendency to underplay Yankee prospects and overvalue Red Sox prospects [cough Lars Anderson] have fun with that.
    Yes, it's true that when a scout's opinions about players are pretty consistent with the consensus, it's fair to assume that he doesn't have a bias. You think that the scout in question should agree with your opinions, even though you are biased.

    Callis had Vizcaino in his top 50 prospects before he was traded. Callis never said or insinuated that Hughes was a 5th starter. David Robertson was an undrafted free agent. He has surprised a lot of people, including the Yankees.

    Callis does not, at this point, consider Anderson an elite prospect. Going into last year, he was one of the better hitting prospects in baseball. He then had an awful season. Callis didn't completely write him off, but he has tempered his opinion. He amply discussed Anderson's struggles last year. Can you find me something that Callis has said about Anderson that runs contrary to this?

  23. #998

    Re: Offseason All-Purpose Minor League Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Melan-cynic
    On more than one occasion.

    Bowden's stats are comparable but to say they are similar prospects as a whole would mean Callis purposely omitted how their stuff compares or scouting, which is, you know, his job...
    Callis has never said that Bowden and Hughes were comparable prospects.

  24. #999

    Re: Offseason All-Purpose Minor League Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by I'm A Wenner!
    Yes, it's true that when a scout's opinions about players are pretty consistent with the consensus, it's fair to assume that he doesn't have a bias. You think that the scout in question should agree with your opinions, even though you are biased.

    Callis had Vizcaino in his top 50 prospects before he was traded. Callis never said or insinuated that Hughes was a 5th starter. David Robertson was an undrafted free agent. He has surprised a lot of people, including the Yankees.

    Callis does not, at this point, consider Anderson an elite prospect. Going into last year, he was one of the better hitting prospects in baseball. He then had an awful season. Callis didn't completely write him off, but he has tempered his opinion. He amply discussed Anderson's struggles last year. Can you find me something that Callis has said about Anderson that runs contrary to this?


    he wasnt an undrafted free agent, he was a DES and signed for an over slot bonus
    "Williams could be the Yankees' next great homegrown center fielder. "-BA

  25. #1000

    Re: Offseason All-Purpose Minor League Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bmxstreetrider86
    he wasnt an undrafted free agent, he was a DES and signed for an over slot bonus
    I stand corrected on this. I don't know why I thought that.

    Still, a reliever picked in the 17th round doesn't scream elite prospect to me. Robertson has been much better than I had hoped.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts