+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    NHL: Who Can't Stand the Bruins Hype?

    I hope the Bruins suck this year.
    I can not stand how all the sudden the bandwagon is on that team and town.
    If you ask me, both are overrated.

    Let's start with the Bruins.
    Fluke.
    To me, they made a huge mistake dealing Kessel, and not just in conference but in the division.
    He was their best offensive player, their biggest threat, and he is just 21.
    All they did was criticize him for not being a "Big Bad Bruin" however that is so overrated.
    They still think it is the 1960s where you can field a bunch of goons and slow Canadian defenseman.
    Kessel was a dynamic force and nobody on the team can match it, Savard is very good but is a set up man and is not the force that a sniper like Kessel is.

    Then, their defense is not that great. They have Chara and a bunch of has beens and retreads (pretty much the Rangers defense).
    Chara while winning the Norris is not Lidstrom. He has talent but there are big holes in his game.
    First he chokes in the playoffs and did so in Ottawa.
    Then he turns the puck over and is not a true shut down defenseman, you can skate by him. He is not Scott Stevens who would eliminate that side of the ice.

    Lets turn to goal and Timmy Thomas. The overachiever is going to get exposed. He shouldn't have won the Vezina because he doesn't carry the load like a Lundqvist...he gets 1A type of starts...not 65-70 games.
    I think he is Jim Carey and the roof will fall.

    Will the Bruins stink? No.
    But why is it that just because they came from 8th to 1st and then choked in round and lost Kessel people think this a powerhouse?
    What makes the Bruins ANY different than Canadians of last year?
    Remember...they came out of nowhere (missed the playoffs) to finish 1st in 2008....only to choke in round 2.
    Then last year they regressed to the 8th seed.
    Everybody had the Canadians making the Cup last year.
    It amazes me how stupid people are to just pencil them in like they are the Penguins or Red Wings and have been winning consistently for years.

  2. #2

    Re: NHL: Who Can't Stand the Bruins Hype?

    Now I am going to go on issue 2, the town.

    I lived in Boston earlier this decade and it is SUCH a bandwagon, fairweather town.
    Once again just like with David Ortiz, the media has this love affair with anything from or in Boston.

    Just because Boston is dark and dreary and gets lots of snow people feel it is this spectaclar hockey town head and shoulders above New York.

    Wrong.
    The Bruins had a contender for 25 years...as soon as they dipped to being ok...the fans shunned them completely and whinned it was the owner's fault.

    The Rangers have one of the worst owners in hockey, who continues to overspend on medicore players most Ranger fans HATE...like Lindros/Fleury/Brasher?
    They missed the playoffs from 97-04 but had close to sell outs nightly.

    The Bruins? As soon as they no longer competed annually for the division the fans forgot about them....and this was LONG before the Pats/Celts/Sox began to win again.
    From the mid 90s until last year their attendance was medicore especially for a big market, allegedly super hockey town.

    The Bruins, while the Rangers missed the playoffs 97-04, usually made the playoffs.
    In fact, they won 2 division titles in that span, the Rangers NONE since 1994.
    Yet even then they had average crowds...in fact they had playoff games not sold out....in 2003...after winning the division in 2002....they had 13,000 for an elimination playoff game.

    Great hockey town?
    Great loyal fans?

    My rear-behind.
    How about great bandwagon fans who get overrated by the Boston loving media.
    I lived there, I read the papers, I listened to talk radio, and I went to the games.
    NOBODY cared about the Bruins or hockey.
    NOBODY talked hockey.
    You could not find anybody who cared.
    Boston is NOT this great hockey town like Buffalo/Detroit/Minnesota it is an overrated, overhyped bandwagon Red Sox town.

    The Rangers have the better, more loyal fanbase...and I just can not stand how New York is always minimized about their support...and Boston is just penciled in as being super.

  3. #3
    Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New Bedford

    Re: NHL: Who Can't Stand the Bruins Hype?

    I wouldn't say Boston is a huge or great hockey town, despite having one of the best franchises in history. I would say it is a good hockey town, but nothing like Toronto, Montreal, or Detroit. I wouldn't compare it to NY; market size too different.

    For what it's worth, my cousin became a huge hockey and Bruins fan during that period of stagnant mediocrity in the mid 90's. He is also the only black hockey fan I've ever met, which I find hilarious for some reason.

  4. #4
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    westie

    Re: NHL: Who Can't Stand the Bruins Hype?

    Quote Originally Posted by bluecountry
    .
    You love the Bruins. Look forward to seeing you at the game tomorrow night.
    Burns: I wonder if this Homer Nixon is any relation?
    Smithers: Unlikely, sir. They spell and pronounce their names differently.

  5. #5
    NYYF MVP

    Tyler Durden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The CT/MA Border, aka Pink Sox Territory

    Re: NHL: Who Can't Stand the Bruins Hype?

    --The Bruins got a lot back for Kessel, so it remains to be seen whether or not this was a good deal. I do think they gave up on him way too soon though.

    --I can't stand Tim Thomas, either. I don't really know why since he's never done anything to warrant such hatred (like Crosby the diver), but there's just something about him that annoys the crap out of me. I hope he and Ray Emery throw down at some point this season.

    --Chara reminds me a lot of Joe Thornton. Both are overrated and have yet to come up big in the Playoffs. Both are also relatively big in stature, but have a tendency to not play to their size. In other words, Chara is pretty much the Bizarro Mike Richards.

    Overall, I would agree that the Bruins are overhyped, but I guess its to be expected given what they accomplished last year. Also, the homerism for all things Boston in this area seems to be at an all-time high right now, so it makes sense that the media and fairweather fans would start buying the hype once the Bruins show any signs of potential success.
    28 in 2014

  6. #6

    Re: NHL: Who Can't Stand the Bruins Hype?

    I'd like to add, the Boston Bruins are just one aspect of Boston being a hockey town. There are also 4 AHL affiliates within an hour of Boston, and 9 division 1 hockey teams within an hour.

    A better argument would be that ever since Jeremy Jacobs built his money bin, Boston is no longer an NHL town.

  7. #7

    Re: NHL: Who Can't Stand the Bruins Hype?

    Bobby Orr was slow?

  8. #8

    Re: NHL: Who Can't Stand the Bruins Hype?

    Quote Originally Posted by sprucemoose
    Bobby Orr was slow?
    I'm not even sure who our slow Canadian defensemen would be now. Chara is a Slovak, Mark Stuart and Matt Hunwick are American. Wideman and Ference (although I wish they didn't have the latter) aren't slow by any stretch. That leaves Derrick Morris, I didn't see enough of him last year to judge his speed.

    They had to trade Kessel, they were up against the cap, Burke overpaid for him, and could have just signed him to an offer sheet. We would have only gotten him for a 1, 2, and 3. Even if another team had a better offer, Kessel wasn't agreeing to a sign and trade, so the risk was that another team (say Nashville for example) trades for him, and Toronto offer sheets him before he can be signed. There was also stats that showed last year that he (Kessel) scored a disproportionate amount of his goals against weak teams with soft defenses.

    The forwards hardly subscribe to the "Big Bad Bruins" mantra. Lucic is the only guy in that group who fits the profile. Savard, Krejci, and Bergeron are all highly skilled players (If Bergeron can get back to his pre concussion form, which in the preseason it looked like he had).

    The biggest difference between the '07-'08 Canadiens and the '08-'09 Bruins is that while both teams were high scoring, the Bruins also led the league in goals allowed, while Montreal was a mediocre defensive team. Another significant difference is that Montreal was an elite team on the power play that season, whereas last year's Bruins team did most of it's damage at even strength.

    I agree that Lundqvist is better than Thomas, I also don't have a Vezina vote. The best thing for the Bruins is for Thomas to be a 1A type goalie (say 50 starts) to Tuuka Rask's 30 starts. Especially with Thomas playing in the olympics.

  9. #9
    NYYF MVP

    Tyler Durden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The CT/MA Border, aka Pink Sox Territory

    Re: NHL: Who Can't Stand the Bruins Hype?

    Quote Originally Posted by MTYankee23
    . There was also stats that showed last year that he (Kessel) scored a disproportionate amount of his goals against weak teams with soft defenses.
    What exactly is that supposed to prove? That his goals counted less in those games than in other games?

    Don't all goal scorers tend to have better stats against weaker teams?
    28 in 2014

  10. #10

    Re: NHL: Who Can't Stand the Bruins Hype?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden
    What exactly is that supposed to prove? That his goals counted less in those games than in other games?

    Don't all goal scorers tend to have better stats against weaker teams?
    No, it was in comparison to the other goal scorers on the Bruins. I think of their top 10 goal scorers last year, the other 9 scored 40% or more of their goals against playoff teams. Kessel was at 19.4%.

  11. #11
    NYYF MVP

    Tyler Durden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The CT/MA Border, aka Pink Sox Territory

    Re: NHL: Who Can't Stand the Bruins Hype?

    Quote Originally Posted by MTYankee23
    No, it was in comparison to the other goal scorers on the Bruins. I think of their top 10 goal scorers last year, the other 9 scored 40% or more of their goals against playoff teams. Kessel was at 19.4%.
    I guess I just don't see the relevance in a stat like that.

    Last year, Kessel led the Bruins in scoring, was tied for 2nd in GWG, and was in the team's top 5 of every major offensive category despite having missed 12 games. The Bruins' schedule wasn't that soft last year, was it?

    IMO, the only hope the Bruins have of winning this trade in the long run is if they draft some amazing young talent with their picks, trade the picks for a superstar, or if Kessel never reaches his full potential and instead becomes the next Joffrey Lupul.
    28 in 2014

  12. #12
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: NHL: Who Can't Stand the Bruins Hype?

    Fair weather fans exist everywhere, but it's much more of a problem in Boston. You're right. Before last year nobody ever talked about the Bruins. They were actually the laughingstock of the town. People would say stuff like "if not for the Bruins, we could win all 4 titles." etc. Now everyone is a huge hockey fan. It's embarrassing.

    All we can look forward to is them regressing back to their actual talent level. Although, who in that division is any good? The division winner is likely to be the only team going to the playoffs. So maybe it'll be more rewarding to see Boston go in as a number 2 seed and then choke in the playoffs again.

  13. #13

    Re: NHL: Who Can't Stand the Bruins Hype?

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan
    Fair weather fans exist everywhere, but it's much more of a problem in Boston. You're right. Before last year nobody ever talked about the Bruins. They were actually the laughingstock of the town. People would say stuff like "if not for the Bruins, we could win all 4 titles." etc. Now everyone is a huge hockey fan. It's embarrassing.

    All we can look forward to is them regressing back to their actual talent level. Although, who in that division is any good? The division winner is likely to be the only team going to the playoffs. So maybe it'll be more rewarding to see Boston go in as a number 2 seed and then choke in the playoffs again.
    When you say before last year no one ever talked about the Bruins, or no one talked about the Bruins from say...1994 until now?

    I know plenty of people who talked about the Bruins before hand. I also know that one very important entity did not (WEEI). Whoever said the thing about the 4 titles is probably a moron anyway, and you can be sure that if the Blackhawks, Bears, and Bulls won titles in the same time period, there'd be idiots in Chicago saying, "if not for the Cubs (and White Sox) we could win all four titles".

  14. #14

    Re: NHL: Who Can't Stand the Bruins Hype?

    lol I always enjoy a good bluecountry rant.


    Are the Bruins overrated? Probably. I don't think they've gotten too much hype and I think most realistic Bruin fans acknowledge that losing Kessel will hurt them but they're still going to be the best team in their division unless key players get hurt. Tim Thomas is a great story but lets be honest, hes a journeyman goaltender whose had a few nice years behind what has been a pretty stout defense in the regular season at least. I expect him to falter this year and eventually lose his role to Rask, who is the future in net for the Bruins anyway.

    I got them finishing 3rd in the conference by virtue of the division winner rule and they'll probably be knocked out by some spark plug 6th seed who'll roll into the playoff riding on a hot streak, since that seems to happen every year.

  15. #15
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    westie

    Re: NHL: Who Can't Stand the Bruins Hype?

    I've lived in Boston my entire life and people have always seemed to talk about the Bruins and hockey. Boston is as a hockey town not just because of the Bruins, but also Hockey East, the Beanpot, and high school teams like CM.

    As to the point of Chara not playing his size, I'm not sure there's a comparison for some playing like their 6'9, he looks like a physical force to me every time he hits the ice.
    Burns: I wonder if this Homer Nixon is any relation?
    Smithers: Unlikely, sir. They spell and pronounce their names differently.

  16. #16

    Re: NHL: Who Can't Stand the Bruins Hype?

    Just as an aside, I get the feeling that if the Stanley Cup Finals featured Chicago and Boston, bluecountry's head would explode, if only because you know it will generate a ton of stories about two resurgent great hockey towns.

  17. #17
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: NHL: Who Can't Stand the Bruins Hype?

    The difference between Boston and NYC hockey fans is that the ones in Boston actually play or played hockey, including the women. How many Isles, Rangers, Devils fans can say they can lace em up?

    People have been saying that Tim Thomas is not for real for the past 4 years. The Bruins keep bringing in competition and he continues to outplay them. So all of a sudden now he is going to spiral downhill, lose out to the unproven Rask and be traded? I'm not buying it till at least another 2 years.

    The Kessel situation annoys but more for that the NHL CBA allows another team to poach another teams young players at such a young age. Could you imagine if MLB teams could throw an offer sheet to any arbitration eligible kid? My proposal would be that in the next CBA you are not an RFA until you are 25.

  18. #18

    Re: NHL: Who Can't Stand the Bruins Hype?

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72
    The difference between Boston and NYC hockey fans is that the ones in Boston actually play or played hockey, including the women. How many Isles, Rangers, Devils fans can say they can lace em up?

    People have been saying that Tim Thomas is not for real for the past 4 years. The Bruins keep bringing in competition and he continues to outplay them. So all of a sudden now he is going to spiral downhill, lose out to the unproven Rask and be traded? I'm not buying it till at least another 2 years.

    The Kessel situation annoys but more for that the NHL CBA allows another team to poach another teams young players at such a young age. Could you imagine if MLB teams could throw an offer sheet to any arbitration eligible kid? My proposal would be that in the next CBA you are not an RFA until you are 25.
    Well, Kessel was traded, not plucked away with an offer sheet (though Burke was using that as leverage). The offer sheet didn't matter anyway; the Bruins had to trade Kessel away because they had cap issues and couldn't afford to sign him.

    Also, a system where a players wages remain stagnant for up to seven years (as you've proposed) doesn't really seem all that fair.

  19. #19

    Re: NHL: Who Can't Stand the Bruins Hype?

    Quote Originally Posted by sprucemoose
    Well, Kessel was traded, not plucked away with an offer sheet (though Burke was using that as leverage). The offer sheet didn't matter anyway; the Bruins had to trade Kessel away because they had cap issues and couldn't afford to sign him.

    Also, a system where a players wages remain stagnant for up to seven years (as you've proposed) doesn't really seem all that fair.
    Thats because its not. The NHLPA would never go for it.

    What does need to happen is that the league has to up the compensation for teams who lose a player via an offer sheet. That'll stop the poaching from happening. Though it seems like there is an unwritten agreement between GM's not to throw out offer sheets but that may be due to the uncertainty of what the salary cap maximum is going to be next year.

  20. #20
    Playin' Everywhere Mark19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: NHL: Who Can't Stand the Bruins Hype?

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72
    The difference between Boston and NYC hockey fans is that the ones in Boston actually play or played hockey, including the women. How many Isles, Rangers, Devils fans can say they can lace em up?
    You ever been to Westchester and Rockland counties?

    In the northern suburbs, high school hockey is a religion. Everyone I grew up with played hockey through their teens. On the flip side, none of my friends from eastern CT or Rhode Island know how to ice skate.
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.


    "They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

  21. #21
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Under The Big Apple

    Re: NHL: Who Can't Stand the Bruins Hype?

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72
    The difference between Boston and NYC hockey fans is that the ones in Boston actually play or played hockey, including the women. How many Isles, Rangers, Devils fans can say they can lace em up?
    Your kidding, right. Amateur hockey on Long Island is huge. Has been for YEARS. Some NHL players have been developed (Higgins, Komisarek, Scuderi to name a few). Beer leagues are very popular.

    And while I never played on the ice, I played roller hockey in leagues and pickup games until I was 30 years old.

  22. #22

    Re: NHL: Who Can't Stand the Bruins Hype?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripedbass
    Your kidding, right. Amateur hockey on Long Island is huge. Has been for YEARS. Some NHL players have been developed (Higgins, Komisarek, Scuderi to name a few). Beer leagues are very popular.

    And while I never played on the ice, I played roller hockey in leagues and pickup games until I was 30 years old.

    Yup, the NY Applecore is one of the best college development programs in the Northeast which has placed players in some of the country's best programs and has even sent some of their players to the US NTDP U17 and U18 teams.

  23. #23
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: NHL: Who Can't Stand the Bruins Hype?

    There is compensation. The Leafs would have had to give up a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick in 2010. The Oil gave up more to the Ducks for Penner I beleive. But the threat of an offer sheet led Kessel and his agent to use it as leverage to get out of Boston. He didn't want to be there. The Bruins tried to negotiate but they stopped responding. By raising the RFA age by a few years he would have had no choice but to go to Europe or sit out.

    Salaries would not be stagnent by raising the RFA offer sheet age. Most of these players are eligible for arbitration; Kessel or Duninsky weren't. But arbitration is what allowed the Rangers to protect teams from poaching on Lundquist 2 years ago.

  24. #24

    Re: NHL: Who Can't Stand the Bruins Hype?

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72
    There is compensation. The Leafs would have had to give up a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick in 2010. The Oil gave up more to the Ducks for Penner I beleive. But the threat of an offer sheet led Kessel and his agent to use it as leverage to get out of Boston. He didn't want to be there. The Bruins tried to negotiate but they stopped responding. By raising the RFA age by a few years he would have had no choice but to go to Europe or sit out.

    Salaries would not be stagnent by raising the RFA offer sheet age. Most of these players are eligible for arbitration; Kessel or Duninsky weren't. But arbitration is what allowed the Rangers to protect teams from poaching on Lundquist 2 years ago.

    I'm aware, hence why I said they should up the compensation, that'd take care of the whole offer sheet thing completely.

    In the end, offer sheets won't keep a team from signing a player that they want to keep, what it will force them to do is pay them more than they'd like to earlier than they'd like (see: Thomas Vanek.) Theres no need to change the system by adding a year of RFA since the system is fine now other than the whole offer sheet thing - thats the part of the whole system that needs an adjustment.

  25. #25
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: NHL: Who Can't Stand the Bruins Hype?

    But if you take away the offer sheets then they aren't really restricted free agents and are bound to the team that drafted them until UFA status like in baseball. That in effect is changing the RFA age.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts