+ Reply to Thread

Advice From Old People

Today, My fiancee' and I accompanied my mother to take my father to the doctor. We arrived a few minutes prior to his scheduled appointment,we met Ellie, a ninety-seven year old elderly woman. We got involved in a deep discussion with her and was impressed by her withitness and her ability to remember specific details of her life. For example: knowing where she presently lived in town, the length of her time being away from husband after his death, and comprehending his arduous health conditions, lacking use of his limbs, and his battling of dementia. She recalls knowing the day he died exactly nine years ago. Simultaneously She is the acutely aware of the limitations of her own personal health, My mother asked what advice she would have for anyone wanting to live a long life.

She gave four pieces of advice on life.
    1. Possession of an optimistic attitude.
    2.Belief in God.
    3. Don't sweat the small stuff because if you do then you won't have energy for the big stuff.
    4. Grew up growing and eating fresh vegetables: people get them out of a can and should grow their own.

My questions is:
    What sage advice have you received from an old person?

I felt it was a nice moment in my life. She had a beautiful soul.
    Last edited by bobbymagee; 09-03-09 at 07:23 AM.
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Re: Advice From Old People

Quote Originally Posted by bobbymagee
    Today, My fiancee' and I accompanied my mother to take my father to the doctor. We arrived a few minutes prior to his scheduled appointment,we met Ellie, a ninety-seven year old elderly woman. We got involved in a deep discussion with her and were impressed by her withitness and her ability to remember specific details of her life. For example: knowing where she presently lived in town, the length of her time being away from husband after his death, and comprehending his arduous health conditions, lacking use of his limbs, and his battling of dementia. She recalls knowing the day he died exactly nine years ago. Simultaneously She is the acutely aware of the limitations of her own personal health, My mother asked what advice she would have for anyone wanting to live a long life.

2.Belief in God.
    3. Don't sweat the small stuff because if you do then you won't have energy for the big stuff.
    4. Grew up growing and eating fresh vegetables: people get them out of a can and should grow their own.

My questions is:
    What sage advice have you received from an older person, man or woman?

masturbate often - Ernie Borgnine
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

If there's something you don't understand in a movie, just ask the person sitting next to you in a loud, clear voice. Don't worry, you won't bother anyone else.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Smoke Cigars - Samuel Clemens & George Burns
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Don't sweat the petty stuff & don't pet the sweaty stuff.

NYYF Legend

My mom, even though she wasn't old, was sick and dying and told me not to make myself crazy about housework like she did. If the dirty dishes stay the sink it's not the end of the world.
    She sits there so refined and drinks herself half blind
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson -

NYYF Legend

No one, on their death-bed, ever said, "I wish I had worked more."

"In life, you have choices. You have to trust that the ones you make are the right ones at the time, because they probably are."

My grandmother told me that it was a privilege to grow old. She lived to be 86. I've known plenty of people who were not so privileged.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

Keep the dog out of the bedroom when you're humping.

It's timeless advice.
    "I'm sorry Smokey, you were over the line, that's a foul....mark it zero Dude, next frame"

My grandfather, 81 years old and on his death bed said to me.. as he waved me to move over a little..

"Look at that, delicious"

as he pointed to a early 20's woman in tight sweat pants with "Delicious" written across her ass.

I'm not kidding.
    "If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bobbymagee
    Today, My fiancee' and I accompanied my mother to take my father to the doctor. We arrived a few minutes prior to his scheduled appointment,we met Ellie, a ninety-seven year old elderly woman. We got involved in a deep discussion with her and were impressed by her withitness and her ability to remember specific details of her life. For example: knowing where she presently lived in town, the length of her time being away from husband after his death, and comprehending his arduous health conditions, lacking use of his limbs, and his battling of dementia. She recalls knowing the day he died exactly nine years ago. Simultaneously She is the acutely aware of the limitations of her own personal health, My mother asked what advice she would have for anyone wanting to live a long life.

2.Belief in God.

My questions is:
    What sage advice have you received from an old person?

That's a really nice story, Bobby. It reminds me of my grandmother, who will be 99 in November. She is really something. She still lives alone, still drives (only locally though, like to the store, to get her hair done, to church, etc.), and she was just re-elected president of the Ladies Aid committee at church. She survived breast cancer in the 60s and colon cancer in the 70s. When we had to take her to the emergency room a few years ago for a digestive issue, the nurse was asking her for her history and what medications she was taking (no major prescriptions). The nurse was astounded and kept looking at me as if my Grandma's answers couldn't be correct; she must be taking something other than a multi-vitamin!! But perhaps the most impressive thing is her cookie baking. At Christmas, she continues her tradition of baking cookies, with the total easily exceeding 5,000. The family helps put them on the cookie trays before they go in the oven and helps pack them up, but she does all the mixing. Years ago she'd make closer to 10,000, so she has slowed a bit.

She's never sat me down and given me advice on life per se, but I can see by the way she lives her life, that she has similar views as the woman you encountered. The first three definitely could have come from my Grandma. I would also add "stay busy" to the list. She is always busy - always has something planned for each day, even if it's just a project at home. I think having a reason to get up in the morning is a big part of her longevity. But regardless of what it can be attributed to, she really is a blessing.

Heidi
    "I don't need any extra motivation. My motivation is to win." - Derek Jeter

Quote Originally Posted by MunsonNY15
    It reminds me of my grandmother, who will be 99 in November.
    That's a nice story too. My wife's grandmother was still bowling at age 99 and made it to 104 - frail but still mentally sharp.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by Bozidar
    My grandfather, 81 years old and on his death bed said to me.. as he waved me to move over a little..

"Look at that, delicious"

as he pointed to a early 20's woman in tight sweat pants with "Delicious" written across her ass.

I'm not kidding.

I don't get a lot of advice from old people, but I love to listen to them talk about their lives, and you get plenty of insight doing that.

Best advice I ever got, other than the original 4 listed, is "tell the truth and fear no man." Life is just so much easier when you do this.
    Let the kids play.

"Life`s too short to drink Swill"

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

Muggs and John.

My MIL is 86? 87? Something like that and she still lives alone, drives and WORKS (PT @ a Hallmark Store). She is also very active in her church, bowls, and just adopted a dog so he would get her out of the house to walk. I love her...she does not really give us advice per se but I see her as a living example of how to live one's life. She wrote a sort of mini-memoir/family history about her life before/during/after the war (her late husband was a POW in Germany) and I keep trying to get the bf to read it but he won't. It's wonderful.

Her sister, OTOH, is a piece of work! Aunt Ethel. She is almost 90, served in the Marines in WW2, was married and quickly annulled the the thing many years ago. According to the bf she was always kind of mean to them as kids. She smokes and is majorly cranky. Not really in great health though, and she's made some dumb home decisions based on flattering advice this idiot young contractor guy gave her. She lives right around the corner from my MIL in Sarasota but they don't see each other much or even like each other from what I can tell...but they put up with each other, attend each other's Dr visits etc. She drives too which scares me to death.

Check a box to see what youre grandfather thinks about youre activities.

http://www.damnitson.com/
    If you dont plan on winning, you might as well just go home -Derek Jeter

Bring on October!! nyyfanatic85's Avatar

Those are two really cool stories above. My grandfather, who is 82, told me recently to make sure I pick the right wife. He and my grandmother are still going strong and they take a vacation to Florida every year. One time they spent 3 1/2 weeks together on their vacation and didn't even think of fighting once. When they got home he squeezed her hand and said, "Honey, that wasn't enough time. I love you so much."

I want to be that man someday. He always stands up for what is right even if it isn't popular, respects and loves his wife, fears God, and has worked hard his whole life.
    Global Warming and climate change hysteria could well represent the historical pinnacle of collective insanity.

I saw this article yesterday and thought it was appropriate to this thread. Love all the grumpy Jersey comments after it though...

Parsippany woman still works full time as she nears 100th birthday

(from "Little Miss Sunshine")

Grandpa: Listen to me, I got no reason to lie to you, don't make the same mistakes I made when I was young. F*ck a lotta women kid, not just one woman, a lotta women.

NYYF Legend

I liked George Burns's Philosophy. A few Martinis and a cigar every day and enjoy the company of young girls. I don't smoke but it didn't do any harm to George who lived to be 100.

As a senior citizen I can offer this advice. I made my mistakes and learned a lot from them. Today is vastly different from yesterday and the same approach may not work the same. Make your own mistakes and accept the consequences from them and you will be fine

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

A relative of mine who lived to 98 without really being a sick a day in his life (he died quietly in his sleep from congestive heart failure) said his secret was a shot of whiskey in his coffee every morning, a half a pack of cigarettes every afternoon, tuning out his wife when necessary, not worrying about anything, and skipping church on Sunday!
    Fall down a rabbit hole: Joe Frank.com

My dad (RIP), for as long as I can remember, whether I was going out on a date as a teen... or leaving for a long time as an adult, would always tell me: "Be circumspect my boy"

God, I miss hearing those words.
    Thanks for the memories, George. You made the Yankees what they are today... Champions!

NYYF Legend

Know that every time you think you are faced with a major crisis that most of the time it isn't one and that you'll live to see another day. Also, keep enjoying the Yanks and any other teams you like, for their glory will make you feel young again!

Thread Information