+ Reply to Thread

Elias free agent rankings updated (8/29)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/19216605/Rankings-082909

Yankees highlights:
    Johnny Damon - A
    Xavier Nady - B (by a wide margin)
    Hideki Matsui - B
    Jerry Hairston - B
    Andy Pettitte - B (close to A status)

both Molina and Hinske are way below B status. i would imagine Damon and Hairston get arbitration. i would give Andy arbitration if he hits A status, and Matsui too if Damon is guaranteed to be the LF next year

Re: Elias free agent rankings updated (8/29)

These days it's almost better for these guys to be ranked B's. Otherwise, teams wouldn't consider signing them to give up draft picks.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Give Andy/Damon/Nady arbitration.

Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee
    These days it's almost better for these guys to be ranked B's. Otherwise, teams wouldn't consider signing them to give up draft picks.
    FA compensation will need to be revisited in the next labor contract. For example, Orlando Cabrera is a A level FA, but I can't imagine any team giving up a draft pick for him.

Quote Originally Posted by bluecountry
    Give Andy/Damon/Nady arbitration.
    Why Nady? He might not even play next year.

Giving Matsui and Hairston arb would be the smart thing to do, they have value, to other teams.

Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee
    Why Nady? He might not even play next year.

Giving Matsui and Hairston arb would be the smart thing to do, they have value, to other teams.
    Matsui is making $13 million. There's no way the Yanks offer him arbitration.

No shot you give Matsui arb. What team in their right mind would give up their first round pick for Matsui, and why the hel would we pay Matsui 15 milll a year when Holliday would AAV 18.

Quote Originally Posted by DaSh 1s
    No shot you give Matsui arb. What team in their right mind would give up their first round pick for Matsui, and why the hel would we pay Matsui 15 milll a year when Holliday would AAV 18.
    Matsui is a Type B. No draft pick to give up.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer
    He's the kind of player that might turn down the $$$ if he thinks he will have a limited bench-player role. I suspect he still sees himself as an outfielder.

He also might be one to agree not to accept arb if offered (and can be trusted)
    “Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier, the cigars taste better. The trees are greener.”—Billy Martin

I don't see why wouldn't give arbitration to Hairston. If he bolts, you get a pick, if he stays, you have a reasonably priced super-utility guy.

NYYF Legend

I agree....we dont need someone making 10+ million sitting on the bench for half the games. Its not about teams giving up a draft pick....the problem is if Matsui accepts arbitration.

I would offer arbitration to Hairston-he wouldn't get much there and I would like him back as a bench player.

Damon gets arbitration as a last resort-I don't think the Yankees want to pay him 13 million for one year. Maybe offer to Nady and Pettitte....but I dont see Pettitte playing anywhere else. (just like last year's offseason)
    Hoping Rivera can pitch forever!

I'd offer Damon and Hairston arbitration for sure. I'd offer it to Matsui to if he's a type B. I think if you threaten him with a bench spot he won't accept. I'd also resign Nady if he's willing to take about 3-4 million.

FA compensation will need to be revisited in the next labor contract. For example, Orlando Cabrera is a A level FA, but I can't imagine any team giving up a draft pick for him.
    He better accept arbitration then.
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/19216605/Rankings-082909

Yankees highlights:
    Johnny Damon - A
    Xavier Nady - B (by a wide margin)
    Hideki Matsui - B
    Jerry Hairston - B
    Andy Pettitte - B (close to A status)

both Molina and Hinske are way below B status. i would imagine Damon and Hairston get arbitration. i would give Andy arbitration if he hits A status, and Matsui too if Damon is guaranteed to be the LF next year
    Don't offer arbitration to any of them.

Damon
    He is having a good season, but he is 37 years old. I don't really see a market for a 37 year old outfielder who can't play the outfield everyday especially if the Yanks offer him arbitration. I would sign him to a 1 year 8 million deal as a parttime DH and outfielder.

Nady
    He has missed the whole season. He won't have much options. Offer him a minor league deal with incentives. He probably won't be ready until midseason anyway.

Matsui
    Time to let him go. He is only a DH at this stage of his career. However next year, we'll need the DH spot to give Jeter, Damon, Arod, and Posada a break once in awhile.

Jerry Hariston
    I like him a lot. Resign him to a 2 year deal worth 2-4 million dollars. Similar to the Molina deal.

Andy
    Resign him. 1 year anywhere between 8-10 million.
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by ppa79
    Jerry Hariston
    I like him a lot. Resign him to a 2 year deal worth 2-4 million dollars. Similar to the Molina deal.
    you would give up a draft pick so Jerry Hairston's contract could be extended to his age 35 year? he only made $2 mil this year. its not like hes going to get a massive raise

you would give up a draft pick so Jerry Hairston's contract could be extended to his age 35 year? he only made $2 mil this year. its not like hes going to get a massive raise
    For some reason, I feel the Yanks will want him back. Girardi likes him a lot.

However, I don't know if the Yanks believe a draft pick is more valuable than having Hairston.
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

The problem with losing Damon is the Yankees don't have anyone capable of filling the #2 spot in the order.
    Swisher is not nearly quick enough and his average is too low.
    Melky has a terrible OBP for a #2 hitter.
    Gardner is not a full time player and doesn't handle the bat well enough to bat 2nd.
    Cano's power keeps him in the bottom third of the lineup.

Damon and Posada become the DHs next season as the Yanks break in Cervelli at catcher and AJ in CF/LF

NYYF Legend

I agree....it would be asinine to not offer arbitration to Hairston.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TheHugeUnit2
    I'd offer Damon and Hairston arbitration for sure. I'd offer it to Matsui to if he's a type B. I think if you threaten him with a bench spot he won't accept. I'd also resign Nady if he's willing to take about 3-4 million.
    Ummm....I think Matsui likes playing on the big stage and would accept arbitration. He might get 5 million elsewhere as a DH, but if he takes arbitration he gets around 13 million. That is a HUGE difference! At his age 8 million dollars might be worth losing some at-bats.

Thread Information