+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Addicted Member

Compare this draft?

How would you rate this years draft to the past 5? From 2005 to the present? I'm just wondering how the previous drafts have turn out.
    Who are the best picks we sign and the ones we let get away?

Re: Compare this draft?

Somewhere in the middle IMO, last years disaster was the worst by far.

2006 was the best hands down, but this draft is pretty good too.

probably:

but i disagree that last year was a disaster, i only gave 2005 an edge cause jackson is a better prospect than anyone from that draft so far and gardner is in the big leagues. 2007 would be better if brackman hadnt struggled so much (not as much conerned with the results as the lack of stuff). despite cole not signing, 2008 will likely produce 2 of the organizations top 10 prospects in mitchell and joseph, Lassiter has struggled with injuries but his 2 healthy months have been OK for the SAL

2006 was a great draft
    "Williams could be the Yankees' next great homegrown center fielder. "-BA

2006 2007 2009 2005 2008 Imo

Quote Originally Posted by kongull
    2006 2007 2009 2005 2008 Imo
    This.

2007 might end up being a great draft with the likes of Romine, Suttle, Brackman etc.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

Released Outright JavyVazquezIsSick's Avatar

Yeah, I agree with that one as well.

Addicted Member

I hated that we paid Brackman so much money, giving him a major league contract. But I love the Romine pick. So I have mix feelings on the 07 draft.
    How many good propects do we have in each draft. Propects that are great, that have a shot at making the show or in helping in future trades?

Quote Originally Posted by bmxstreetrider86
    Same, Phelps and Joseph look nice, but I'm not to keen on the rest.

While I agree with giving the 2006 draft an exceptional grade and I agree that last year's draft wasn't good (kind of hard to feel good about not even signing 2 of your top 3 picks, with the other being a finesse lefty), it is generally too early to assess the overall impact of these drafts.

The kids need to get to the bigs and make or break before you can assess a draft. For example, its kinda hard to grade 2007, no matter how many picks are "hot" right now- they simply haven't made it to NY and we don't know if they will.

That said, from the point of assessing whether EXPECTATIONS were met, I think the Yanks broke even and maybe get a low passing score. The Yanks biggest weakness in the system coming in was that they had a limited number of quality bats in the system. Did adding Big H and Murphy change that? Yes, it did. However, the Yanks really didn't use the 5-10 rounds to grab the falling guys that they have done over the past several years.

Was this a budget issue- very likely. However, the Yanks made that bed when they gave out HUGE contracts to CC, Tex and AJ, as well as making a big money signing in Sanchez. The name of the game is always to make sure that the NEW YORK Yankees, not the SI Yanks, Tampa Yanks or WSB Yanks are the best team with the best players.

People who are that the Yanks resources are unlimited are forgetting that for the first time in decades, the Yanks have Stadium costs to pay for. Even with the massive public funds, the Yanks still have hundreds of millions to pay off on the new park. That means the overall budget is likely lower than ever for the team. While the big league payroll is high, it will come down in the next several years, and other areas suffer cuts- like the draft.

While this draft was not a waste like the drafts in the early part of this decade, I believe that financial considerations made this not so much a missed opportunity as much as a smaller bang than expected. Think about this for a moment- the Yanks apparently spent about $6M on the draft this year- which is LESS than they planned to spend on Cole alone last year.

I am assuming that there will be ML payroll cuts next year to try and free up the limited $$$ for the draft and IFA (maybe Matsui, Nady, Pettitte, Molina, with Damon as a ?) There aren't a lot of holes in the ML team in 2010 thanks to the farm and longer term contracts, but I also believe that the 2009 draft, while adding some premium talent, could have been even better, but was one of the areas that the Yanks had to sacrifice going over the top for to account for the added costs of the new Stadium this year.

Maybe a WS run, with the added revenue could soften the blow for next year, but that is too speculative for now.

Addicted Member

Matsui55,
    So do you give Damon & his staff a passing grade?
    Are they showing improvement?
    For one I am glad that they are going for players and not roster fillers.

NYYF MVP

I feel that they needed a couple of more high end bats or a budget of around 10 mil, roughly what Boston spent last year. In other words even if Jackson continues to develop the whole system is weak in OFs and INF no where close to where they are in catching. Top to bottom who do you check on daily - Scranton zip after Jackson, Romine who just needs to survive Florida then Charleston for Joseph/Lassiter then see if Medchill/Mack did anything and KDL strikeouts. Pitching - Scranton is all fodder, after McLister nothing till some maybes. The two guns Brackman/Betances went backwards.

2006 was outstanding because it's already given us KEY major league pieces. The other drafts are harder to tell at this point, thought I think if there is a trend over the last 5 drafts it's that they are finding some better hitters lately. I basically see the Damon Oppenheimer era as one big draft, where they keep improving the scout team and refining certain criteria.

The farm let alone the last 5 drafts would look a lot better if Brackman and Betances were having the sort of years their abilities indicate they could. But then again, we'd also be in better shape if Garcia from `04 and Alan Horne from `05 had their health about them. I think it will be a few more years till we can really start putting this era into perspective.

I don't know if one can rate the draft so soon. I don't know if you can even rate the 07 or 08 drafts as well. There is some amazing talent in the system and most of that talent is in the low minors. At this point I have to trust that Cash and Oppenheimer did their research and didn't pick a bunch of folks randomly.

NYYF MVP

Very good point about improving the scouting personnel Buzah. You can't just wave a magic wand. They lost a lot of good people to Tampa.

Quote Originally Posted by boday
    I feel that they needed a couple of more high end bats or a budget of around 10 mil, roughly what Boston spent last year. In other words even if Jackson continues to develop the whole system is weak in OFs and INF no where close to where they are in catching. Top to bottom who do you check on daily - Scranton zip after Jackson, Romine who just needs to survive Florida then Charleston for Joseph/Lassiter then see if Medchill/Mack did anything and KDL strikeouts. Pitching - Scranton is all fodder, after McLister nothing till some maybes. The two guns Brackman/Betances went backwards.

boston spent half that on 2 players. from all info the yankees have spent more than them again this year.

as for your other point, the yankees have (had in the case of AA) good hitting prospects in every league, i really dont see the complaints

NYYF MVP

Per League, Jackson, Montero, Romine, Joseph maybe Lassiter. I'm not complaining, just making an observation. I would like a little more depth with high end kids. Maybe Nunez will break through.

Per League, Jackson, Montero, Romine, Joseph maybe Lassiter. I'm not complaining, just making an observation. I would like a little more depth with high end kids. Maybe Nunez will break through.
    DeLeon, Pirela. the yankees have more quality position players than pitchers

Also: David Adams, Daniel Brewer, Kyle Higashioka, Neil Medchill, Kelvin De Leon, and now Slade Heathcott and J.R. Murphy. Maybe Ramon Flores and Eduardo Sosa (GCL is really pitcher oriented...), Mack too.

The Yankees system has a lot of solid position player talent, more than most think. Unfortunately there's kinda a big gap after Montero, Jackson, Romine, and Heathcott.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by yankee82093
    Also: David Adams, Daniel Brewer, Kyle Higashioka, Neil Medchill, Kelvin De Leon, and now Slade Heathcott and J.R. Murphy. Maybe Ramon Flores and Eduardo Sosa (GCL is really pitcher oriented...), Mack too.

The Yankees system has a lot of solid position player talent, more than most think. Unfortunately there's kinda a big gap after Montero, Jackson, Romine, and Heathcott.
    I put Kelvin De Leon and Heathcott in the same level.

We appear to have a different definition of "quality."

I believe that "quality" is more than putting up numbers in the minors- there has to be a skill set with a plus tool (or several plus tools).

For example- Austin Jackson is considered "quality" because he has excellent athletic skills that are beginning to emerge in his game play- speed, defensive ability and ability to hit for average.

DeLeon appears to have the power tool, but it is almost impossible to truely assess that until he hits full season ball. The same holds for Medchill- you need to see a player demonstrate the ability to grind out 6 months of quality production, while still demonstrating plus skills.

I do not consider Nunez to be a "quality player." He is at AA, and he is hitting around .300. However, his defense is not very good (28 errors already- AA is too high a level to be that sloppy), he has no real speed and his power is average at best. He MIGHT profile as an OK 2B, or a nice reserve type, but he isn't in the "quality" prospect discussion.

Romine and Montero are obvious quality players. Montero's bat alone makes him quality, wherever he plays. Romine is quality so long as his defense remains solid and his power and BA remain above- average for a C- unlike Montero, his status as quality hinges on his being a C.

Joseph, Lassiter and some of the other young bats are showing some signs, and they have some skills- but they are still mostly projection at this point. Hard to label them "quality"yet.

Pirela is a 20 year old SS who is finally in low A ball. He has a nice BA, but not too much else right now. He is fringy right now, and unlikely to be in the discussion in 2 years.

I hold out some hope for some of the A ball power bats- Laird has very good natural power- but his inability to carry a solid OBP and BA may do him in- along with a general lack of defensive skills. Melky Mesa is in the same boat- great power, but not much else. Still, true power is not an easy skill to develop- and if you have it, you get more chances.

I believe that "quality" is more than putting up numbers in the minors- there has to be a skill set with a plus tool (or several plus tools).

For example- Austin Jackson is considered "quality" because he has excellent athletic skills that are beginning to emerge in his game play- speed, defensive ability and ability to hit for average.

DeLeon appears to have the power tool, but it is almost impossible to truely assess that until he hits full season ball. The same holds for Medchill- you need to see a player demonstrate the ability to grind out 6 months of quality production, while still demonstrating plus skills.

I do not consider Nunez to be a "quality player." He is at AA, and he is hitting around .300. However, his defense is not very good (28 errors already- AA is too high a level to be that sloppy), he has no real speed and his power is average at best. He MIGHT profile as an OK 2B, or a nice reserve type, but he isn't in the "quality" prospect discussion.

Romine and Montero are obvious quality players. Montero's bat alone makes him quality, wherever he plays. Romine is quality so long as his defense remains solid and his power and BA remain above- average for a C- unlike Montero, his status as quality hinges on his being a C.

Joseph, Lassiter and some of the other young bats are showing some signs, and they have some skills- but they are still mostly projection at this point. Hard to label them "quality"yet.

Pirela is a 20 year old SS who is finally in low A ball. He has a nice BA, but not too much else right now. He is fringy right now, and unlikely to be in the discussion in 2 years.

I hold out some hope for some of the A ball power bats- Laird has very good natural power- but his inability to carry a solid OBP and BA may do him in- along with a general lack of defensive skills. Melky Mesa is in the same boat- great power, but not much else. Still, true power is not an easy skill to develop- and if you have it, you get more chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Matsui55

this is pirela's age 19 season, i dont see anything about him that you could classify as fringy right now, besides power. then again, C-Town is a terrible park for power, and Pirela has a .850 OPS on the road. Joseph is another one who had suffered from his park, with a .850 OPS on the road as well, and both of their total numbers are well above league average. the both have pretty good tools as well

and DeLeon has more than just power, he is a very good athlete with a plus arm and strong defense. he has to adjust to pitching better in order to hit for average, but he is 18 excelling in a strong pitchers league

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t
    I put Kelvin De Leon and Heathcott in the same level.
    It's very hard to judge. KDL comes from a life that was all baseball. Heath was playing football last fall. It would be great if they both came up together ala Montero and Romine. I salivate at the thought of 2/3 of an OF moving up the levels. To be continued.

NYYF Legend

Excellent posts here, on all sides of the discussion.

Personally, I find it difficult to rate a draft until 3-4 seasons have passed. So at this point in time, nothing after the 2006 draft can be rated, and surely not the 2007 draft.

Given that, 2008 and 2007 get in-completes. 2009 is very incomplete. 2006 looks solid, and 2005 is weak, although if Horne and Pendleton ever make it, it will be at least average, with Gardner already in the Majors, and Jackson on the cusp. Can't forget Kronicke and Malec from that draft, although they probably are the last man in the pen type, or in Malecs case, the 25th guy on the roster.

Yea, I agree. 2007 could jump ahead of 09' but it depends on Brackman and Romine. Suttle and Laird are solid prospects, but this draft will be judged almost purely on Romine and Brackman. So far it looks like 09 is a deeper draft. I'm also really excited to see Heathcott and Murphy.

Although its way too early to accurately compare this draft to any others. Even 2005 is still somewhat up in the air as this is Gardner's first full year in the majors and Jackson is still in AAA.

Also the interesting or rather sad thing about 2008 is that draft would probably be the second best after 2006 had we signed Cole. I mean Cole would easily be a top 2 or 3 prospect in our system right now. Then add in some nice complimentary players like Bleich, Mitchell, Joseph, Adams, Phelps, Richardson, Marshall, Brewer, etc. and its a really solid and deep draft. However without that signature player it becomes a so-so draft.

Thread Information