+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Official Media Coverage of NYY Thread

We are obviously one of the biggest and most popular franchises in sports, but I am becoming a little annoyed at the way the media has began to portray our team (Players, management, stadium, etc.) on a variety of outlets from newspapers, to blogs, to commentators and analysts on ESPN & FOX.

Everyone is allowed to have their own opinion in this country, but I often wonder, "would any of these media personnel or outlets say anything to the subjects face?"
    1. Would Selena Roberts sit down and claim A-Rod tipped pitches sitting right in front of him? Hardly.
    2. Would a beat writer sit at Alex's locker and crack jocks to him regarding tipping pitches or steroids surrounded by other members of the media and his teammates? No Chance.
    Therefore, I've decided to start this thread in an effort to really acknowledge how poor and biased the media's coverage of the Yankees has become, we essentially are treated as an evil empire and it's complete nonsense. Our players and executives are treated terribly and rarely praised, and as a fan I feel like they deserve a lot more from other people simply paid to cover a baseball team. Simply report stats and actual baseball coverage.

I stand corrected. A-Rod’s supporters apparently have no trouble whatsoever defending anything he does based on the comments to this post. It’s amazing how everything he did is either somebody else’s fault or simply shouldn’t have been reported in the first place.
    Rather than information on Alex' rehab from hip surgery - this is Yankee coverage. I love the site in which this quote came from, but it is a fine example of what has been wrong with the media over the last couple years.

Essentially use this thread to point out terrible media coverage (commentators, newspapers, blogs, magazines, books, etc) and explain your stance on the situation, because I know as fans we are all fed up.

Re: The Official Media Coverage of NYY Thread

this is from the Serena Roberts thread... despicable.

Quote Originally Posted by Veovis
    I congratulate my esteemed colleague Roberts for coming up with this tasty morsel [pitch tipping] (and seemingly everything else A-Rod has allegedly done wrong in his fascinating life. She's about the best reporter I've ever worked with, and she's certainly risen to the top of Rodriguez's "hates to face'' list.

"they spend the most money, its not fair" wah wah wah every other city thats not NY.

Roberts comes across as this "protecting the common man, going after the evil doers" reporter, but from what I've seen of her, she loves the spotlight herself.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

NYYF HOF

Most of the people that populate the media are lower life forms. When they have a "scoop" they never ask, "what good will this do?" or "what public service will this perform?".. they just try to jam an agenda down the throats of the public.
    Most of them grew-up with dreams of Woodward and Bernstein and wanting to win a Pulitzer by creating a buzz but not contributing anything substantial to the public dialog. Now the uncovering the Watergate scandal did something positive but most of what passes for investigative journalism today is just neither journalistic or investigative because nobody cares about a ballplayer and nothing will change by revealing his "secrets". Not very many people in public life or even average citizens would fare well if someone started to crawl up their ass with a microscope either.
    Beware the Bobcat!!!

Buck Showalter on the Kay Show.
    No sign ever of Arod tipping pitches.
    “There are no secrets in this game”.
    “If I heard about it, it would have been addressed immediately”.
    People coming out today to refute Roberts' claims.

Released Outright

Not on the topic of A-Rod, but media-related:

does anyone know if Max Kellerman ever ended up w/ another radio deal or anything else?? My weekdays are empty.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BxBomber44
    People coming out today to refute Roberts' claims.
    It's about time the baseball community came together to fight off this [explicit delete].

Some of the things being reported from inside this book are so stupid:

Tim Crabtree, former Rangers pitcher, is quote to saying to silly things. Calling him a fake, and saying Arod once asked a clubhouse attendant to put toothpaste on his toothbrush. Seriously, does anyone care?

Heard this on ESPN.

Delv I don't know if Kellerman got a gig, I hope so.

its honestly a lose lose situation for us no matter what the final outcome is.

if we win the world series, then we bought our title
    if we dont win the world series, then our team is just a bunch of selfish overpaid millionaires

there is not in between for us and our franchise and it sucks

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dadrumma
    there is not in between for us and our franchise and it sucks
    Meh, it's the price we pay. With great success comes more haterade from the masses.

I listened to the Angels broadcast for tonights game and it was embarrassing...

For example, on a foul pop... There's no play it's in the 1250$ seats.

What's wrong with mocking the absurd prices the Yankees are charging for tickets. That's legitimately something the franchise should be attacked for, which is why hundreds of people on this board alone have done so.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Named Fred
    What's wrong with mocking the absurd prices the Yankees are charging for tickets. That's legitimately something the franchise should be attacked for, which is why hundreds of people on this board alone have done so.
    It was just an example, there's nothing wrong with it - but they could have said into the seats instead.

Quote Originally Posted by NYYDragoon
    It's about time the baseball community came together to fight off this [explicit delete].
    Careful now, wouldn't wanna get this thread locked.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Named Fred
    I'm sorry I don't see what's wrong with the prices the Yankees charged. At all. Were they expected to go against the prices the market dictated before the economy fell apart and just charge $25 seats behind the dugout just to be the friendly neighborhood ballclub?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by djeter220
    I'm sorry I don't see what's wrong with the prices the Yankees charged. At all. Were they expected to go against the prices the market dictated before the economy fell apart and just charge $25 seats behind the dugout just to be the friendly neighborhood ballclub?
    \Do you live in New York? Do you go to games? Have you been fuc*ed over by the team that you supported by attending games for 28 years by the team you love? People were coerced and threatened.
    Every bit of criticism is warranted.

Yes, that's a brilliant point you make. After all, the only options were either charging $2500 per ticket or $25 per ticket.

Sick of reading the media's opinion - I want the news.

Guys:
    I’m editing the blog posts as I go along. I was trying to get the quotes up there quickly. I’m not sure whether it was a tirade or a rant or whatever. But it was a surprise he got so emotional.
    Meanwhile, can I ask for a little perspective? I reported what the manager said. I didn’t even ask the original question. Is it really necessary to call me names and threaten to assault me?
    I mean, really. Relax. If you have some problem with my blog, don’t read it. Or write me an e-mail. But I’ve had enough with internet tough guys threatening to beat me up every time I write something they don’t like. Grow up.
    If you can’t reasonably discuss the issue, then don’t even try. Go watch cartoons. Be an adult if you want to post here.

NYYF MVP

i too am sick of the constant reminders of the empty expensive seats. yes they are overpriced, but we don't need to keep being reminded about it and how they are empty.
    27th Heaven!
    Thank God for the Boss.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by wexy
    \Do you live in New York? Do you go to games? Have you been fuc*ed over by the team that you supported by attending games for 28 years by the team you love? People were coerced and threatened.
    Every bit of criticism is warranted.
    How have you been f***** over exactly? Because you can't afford to sit next to Derek Jeter in the dugout you can't go to a game? If you can't afford to eat at a five star restaurant do you not eat? The Yankees have ranged their prices to meet the budgets of all fans. Real fans like you and I pay to go to games for the fan atmosphere. It doesn't matter whether I'm sitting behind the dugout or in the upper deck. People that pay for the expensive seats are paying for more than a ballgame, they're paying for status and luxury, which is something YS doesn't have to offer me, so I pay for what I want, and I don't feel slighted or that I am owed something.

Extractor

How have you been f***** over exactly? Because you can't afford to sit next to Derek Jeter in the dugout you can't go to a game? If you can't afford to eat at a five star restaurant do you not eat? The Yankees have ranged their prices to meet the budgets of all fans. Real fans like you and I pay to go to games for the fan atmosphere. It doesn't matter whether I'm sitting behind the dugout or in the upper deck. People that pay for the expensive seats are paying for more than a ballgame, they're paying for status and luxury, which is something YS doesn't have to offer me, so I pay for what I want, and I don't feel slighted or that I am owed something.
    good point....

1. Would Selena Roberts sit down and claim A-Rod tipped pitches sitting right in front of him? Hardly.
    I agree almost completely with the rest of your post, but this point seems a bit silly. I think Barry Bonds is a liar and a cheater, but I might choose not to say it to his face if we're both in a dark alley alone.

But in general you are absolutely right. Unfortunately one of the burdens of being a Yankee fan is that we have to hear this libel towards our team all the time. However, on the bright side we are fans of the best franchise in sports...I'll take it.

NYYF MVP

Is this the Official 2009 Media Performance Thread?

NYYF HOF

Sick of reading the media's opinion - I want the news.
    I like Pete's take on a lot of things but he sees the world like a tabloid journalist, not a fan. He does what he has to do to sell papers.
    He can lose the judgmental tone and still maintain some integrity but it's revealing how he described this entire thing where his opinion lies.
    This is the reason the average person, not those on the UES of Manhattan and in LA but average work-a-day Americans no longer trust the media, and newspapers are looking for a bailout.
    Beware the Bobcat!!!

Thread Information