+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

We need a longman for the Boston series

Historically, every series against Boston always results in at least ONE laffer. Traditionally, it's the Fox Saturday game so that we have to deal with the horrific Joe Buck and McCarver dissect the Yanks and/or Sox and why they suck.

It's imperative we have a longman for this. We're going to need one this weekend.

Who are our options and do we think we we will have one?

Re: We need a longman for the Boston series

Quote Originally Posted by PirateChief
    Historically, every series against Boston always results in at least ONE laffer. Traditionally, it's the Fox Saturday game so that we have to deal with the horrific Joe Buck and McCarver dissect the Yanks and/or Sox and why they suck.

It's imperative we have a longman for this. We're going to need one this weekend.

Cashman seems to hate the idea of us having a respectable bench so I bet Steven Jackson will take the punishment if/when Joba gets knocked out early.

Albladejo, Coke and Edwar can all go 2 innings each if Burnett or Andy get clobbered.
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.

"They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

They could call up Tomko, but won't.
    Hank 'N Hal's Country Club -- where accountability is soooo 1990s!

Not gonna need a long man. Boston might need one though.
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

Yes, okay, I know, we're going to whoop them, but in the event we don't, we cannot put the stress on our bullpen again. Consider it bailout insurance. DFA Cody Ransom and bring up a long man. We will have Pena play.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Yes, okay, I know, we're going to whoop them, but in the event we don't, we cannot put the stress on our bullpen again. Consider it bailout insurance. DFA Cody Ransom and bring up a long man. We will have Pena play.
    And have no one to back up 3B, SS or 2B?
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

this adds up?

Our Pen will be:

Mo, Bruney, Marte, Veras, Coke, Edwar, Alba, and Steven Jackson

Our Bench will be:

Molina, Pena, Melky

Did I leave anyone off? It's still April people, nothing to freak out and demand a longman for.

NYYF Legend

so long as wang isn't taking the hill - no long man needed.

Quote Originally Posted by hellonewman
    They could call up Tomko, but won't.
    Why is that? Do they have to make room on the 40 for him, or something like that?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs
    Why is that? Do they have to make room on the 40 for him, or something like that?
    Yes exactly. But Aceves is already on the 40.

First off, to have one less position player than we have now would be suicide. Secondly, we have an EIGHT man bullpen! How many arms do you need!? Third, today is an off day, so most of those arms, except maybe for Veras, will be ready to go by Friday night. I know Marte is fresh as a daisy, if he could just manage to retire more than one batter at a time. And as someone else mentioned, Steven Jackson can serve as long man if needed.

This is our future. JohnnyDamonfan's Avatar

I am really hoping Yankees strike early. Lester is right now in a bit of a slump. Let's take advantage of that. Chamerlain is a good pitcher. He was pretty good when facing Beckett last year. I think we might be fine. And if our bullpen can perform like Veras did yesterday we have got nothing to worry about.

I was wondering are we really facing Masterson on Sunday? I didn't know we'd be starting against him until I read something about it here. I thought he was just a reliever.
    Still and will always be a New England Patriots fan.

[quote=THEBOSS84]You may be my favorite poster on the site. So sweet and innocent.[/quote]

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

no need.

Joba 7 IP 4 hits, 1 R 2 BB 7 K (W)
    Burnett 7 IP 3 H 2 R 4 BB 8 K (W)
    Pettitte 9 IP 0 H 0 R 0 BB 13 K (W)
    Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967
    no need.

Love for petitte to have a perfect game, but that has to be nearly impossible with that silly green wall..unless your the orioles..lol

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967
    no need.

YankeePride, I have never wanted anyone to be more right (this week) then you.
    I'm too smooth you'll never see me comin', I'm never in a hurry I'm just movin' fast...

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by yankswn23
    Love for petitte to have a perfect game, but that has to be nearly impossible with that silly green wall..unless your the orioles..lol
    amazing that moose came so close, and against a good offensive team at the time

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDamonfan
    I am really hoping Yankees strike early. Lester is right now in a bit of a slump. Let's take advantage of that. Chamerlain is a good pitcher. He was pretty good when facing Beckett last year. I think we might be fine. And if our bullpen can perform like Veras did yesterday we have got nothing to worry about.

I was wondering are we really facing Masterson on Sunday? I didn't know we'd be starting against him until I read something about it here. I thought he was just a reliever.
    he was a starter in the minors.

This is our future. JohnnyDamonfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by delv
    he was a starter in the minors.
    Yeah, I know that I just didn't think they would be starting him against the Yankees. IMO this should be a must win. With Burnett/Pettitte(I forget which one it is on Sunday) We should be able to win this one.
    Still and will always be a New England Patriots fan.

[quote=THEBOSS84]You may be my favorite poster on the site. So sweet and innocent.[/quote]

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mark19
    Cashman seems to hate the idea of us having a respectable bench so I bet Steven Jackson will take the punishment if/when Joba gets knocked out early.

Albladejo, Coke and Edwar can all go 2 innings each if Burnett or Andy get clobbered.
    I thought it was Joe who was resisting the long man? It happened last year too.

NYYF Legend

Long men are long men becuase they suck. They aren't good enough to start and don't have the stuff to be trusted in a close game. In other words they are nearly utterly useless. If it's a blowout burn Jackson and swap him for someone on the 40-man @ AAA the next day.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

I don't think we'll need one. Joba just needs to get through six, and I'm completely confident in Andy and Burnett.

*knockonwood*

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper
    Long men are long men becuase they suck. They aren't good enough to start and don't have the stuff to be trusted in a close game. In other words they are nearly utterly useless. If it's a blowout burn Jackson and swap him for someone on the 40-man @ AAA the next day.
    That's basically it. Jackson was a starter and could probably go as many pitches/innings needed in a blowout if necessary.

I also hope that, no matter what, they give Veras the extra day off and don't pitch him on Friday if necessary. Love that he was able to go over 3 innings yesterday, but that's not normal for him at all. It's not like there aren't plenty of quality short relievers if the game is low-scoring and close.
    UM now, UM always
    #21 - We will never forget you.
    Let's Go Yankees!

Is Veras the longman now? He was great in that role twice already. Maybe his crazy delivery is better suited for the role? As a short guy he may be too shaky with his command, but as a longman maybe he can get on a roll for multiple innings.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjf
    Yes exactly. But Aceves is already on the 40.
    Unfortunately he is getting pummeled in AAA so far.
    Hank 'N Hal's Country Club -- where accountability is soooo 1990s!

Thread Information