+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Things I don't like about the new stadium

I think this is needed for those that want to complain or express their displeasure about the new stadium without being argued with. Those that disagree, take it to the other threads (first impressions, Yanks FO should be embarrassed). Of course there are threads where the two sides will mesh or confllict. Mods, I realize "great, two more threads on the new stadium" but I think these two serve a purpose where people can (if they choose) opine without being jumped on.

I'll start. Only the pricing.

Re: Things I don't like about the new stadium

The only thing I dont like is looking down at all the expensive seats behind home plate/dugout...and seeing them more then half empty...sometimes even more then that.

This has to change. We always had a great home field advantage at the old stadium...with a sold out crowd that was always loud for big games. I dont wanna see us lose that.

NYYF Legend

I think pricing is one issue everyone is in agreement on.

NYYF Legend

Where's the final box score at the end of a game? Or at least the final game stats?

Oops! I pooped on your things! __starr69's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NYYDragoon
    Where's the final box score at the end of a game? Or at least the final game stats?
    No, there are no more opportunities for you to spend money. NOW LEAVE!

Seriously -- I'll probably finalize my opinion on the open air concourses tomorrow. Because I. hate. getting. wet.
    Dieting isn't a piece of cake.
    Nobody ever says "it's just a game" when their team is winning.
    "Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball" --Jacques Barzun

- too many homeruns (so far)
    - too expensive (empty seats)
    - too quiet?
    - poor homeplate camera view

NYYF Legend

Bronx, NY (Home of the Yanks!)/Trumbull, CT

-The netting issue. It's better but still could use some improvement.
    -The white tiles in the back of the bullpens. I've warmed up to them, but I still say they don't go.
    -The State Farm/Modell's ads on the facing of the bleachers. So unbelievably out of place.
    -The State Farm/Pepsi ads above the manual scoreboards. They take away from the beauty of the manual scoreboards.
    -The lack of automatic sensors in urinals and toilets. Who builds a new public building without those anymore?
    -It's a hitter's park. I love pitcher's parks. Like Comerica when it first opened-type pitcher's parks. Like Dodger Stadium-type pitcher's parks. I don't it'll be this much of a bandbox forever (there were two strong lineups and some absolutely horrific pitching in this series, combined with higher-than-average winds), but still, this place will never be a pitcher's park.

Other than that, I love it. Four of those are very trivial, and two of those are pretty important (the first and last, obviously).
    27-TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS

The price of concessions. When you make Disneyland look cheap, that's something.

The prices and the empty seats. The empty seats are embarrasing.
    Quest for #28

Quote Originally Posted by NYYRules#1
    -The lack of automatic sensors in urinals and toilets. Who builds a new public building without those anymore?
    Ladies room: automatic sensors on the soap dispensers. Manual toilets, sinks, and paper towel dispensers. I'm bamboozled.

At least they have it right both in NYS and RYS where you don't have to pull the door open to leave. In NYS you can just kick it open, in RYS you could kick it open if the door wasn't already opened. Wrong thread.
    "Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball" --Jacques Barzun

I visited the Stadium for the first time today. I liked a lot of things about it, which I will cover in the other thread, but there were several things that I disliked as well. For the purposes of this, I'm not going to include the whole net fiasco, since it doesn't impact my enjoyment when I'm at the actual game. I'm also not going to bring up the point that it seems to be playing like a severe hitters park because it's too early to tell for sure and because that wasn't really their fault. Also, I feel for the people who have to sit in the horribly obstructed view seats. It likely won't impact me, but I can't believe they did that. My dislikes include:

1.) As others have mentioned, the empty seats in the more expensive sections are pathetic. I understand that lowering prices for this season is probably impossible without sending out refunds to the people who already have the tickets, etc, but they need to do something. Give the unused tickets to the NYPD, the NYFD, and the military or something to let policemen, firemen, and veterans and/or current servicemen go to the games for free and sit in the great seats. Give them to local kids charities or whatever and let underprivileged kids sit in those seats. There was one section in the Legend's section that had NINE seats full out of ninety. Nine! Doing something like that would not only be a good public relations move; it would also fill the seats and make it look far better.

2.) I didn't get a chance to visit the new Monument Park, but I saw it from my seats and it looked extremely unimpressive. A few people near me commented on this as well. It almost looks like they're trying to hide it, like they put it in a broom closet or something. The monuments and retired numbers all look scrunched together and it's far less roomy than the old Monument Park.

3.) Perhaps I just went the wrong route, but I was in the Grandstand and it seemed like the main exit route (the way I went, which at least seemed like it was the way everyone was going) had no ramps, just stairs. The stairs were quite narrow, too. It was a LOT harder to get out of the Stadium in the new Stadium than it was in the old one, and I hope that I just missed the wide exit ramps that I was expecting. If that's what all the exits were like, I'm quite disappointed by that.

4.) At first I was very pleased that you'd be able to see the game while walking around the park, but I wonder if that will end up being a detriment. I fear that a ton of people spent half the game wandering around instead of, you know, sitting and watching the baseball game. Someone is far less likely to get up and cheer when they're wandering around a concourse than they are in their seat, even if they can see the game from the concourse. It almost seems like there are too many distractions.

5.) This kind of ties in with both 1 and 4, but sometimes the place just didn't feel like Yankee Stadium. When I was watching the game it felt normal enough, but the feel of the crowd was like a Jet pre-season game to me. There just wasn't the punch that there usually is, it wasn't as loud as it usually is, etc. There were large portions of the game where the crowd noise was basically a slight murmur. It was kind of eerie, actually. (Just to clarify this, I'm not really talking about how the Stadium looks. Of course that's going to feel different, since it's new. I'm talking about the atmosphere, the fan reactions, etc.)

6.) It was freezing, thanks to the wind. The wind was ridiculous coming from the back of the Grandstand. I don't know if there's anything that can be done about that, and it might be useful when it gets a lot hotter, but it was very distracting. I felt like I had a fan/air conditioner on my back all day.

7.) A very minor complaint, but I was kind of disappointed that they didn't bring some stuff from the old stadium over that would have been very easy to move over (for instance, the Mattingly wind bat, etc.) Also, I think it would have been cool if, instead of the hi-tech video scoreboard on the outside of the Stadium, they had brought over the lo-tech "CLEVELAND TODAY 1:00" sign. That kind of stuff would have been nice, in my opinion.

That's just off the top of my head. It might seem like I didn't like it at all, but there was quite a lot that I liked, as I'm going to detail in the other thread.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

giving up 14 runs in one inning to a last place team.
    [URL="http://userbars.org"][IMG]http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/7608/yankeefanwz7.png[/IMG][/URL][IMG]http://archive.userbars.com/display.php?a=MTIyOTYyNjk0MDE4NzQwMjk=[/IMG]

3.) Perhaps I just went the wrong route, but I was in the Grandstand and it seemed like the main exit route (the way I went, which at least seemed like it was the way everyone was going) had no ramps, just stairs. The stairs were quite narrow, too. It was a LOT harder to get out of the Stadium in the new Stadium than it was in the old one, and I hope that I just missed the wide exit ramps that I was expecting. If that's what all the exits were like, I'm quite disappointed by that.
    There were ramps when I entered Gate 2 for the workout. I haven't seen them elsewhere. However, there is no escalator near Gate 2.

Quote Originally Posted by __starr69
    There were ramps when I entered Gate 2 for the workout. I haven't seen them elsewhere. However, there is no escalator near Gate 2.
    Okay. We were planning on scouting it out before the next game we went to to try to find one. That's definitely good to know. Thanks.
    -Kevin

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

-The State Farm/Pepsi ads above the manual scoreboards. They take away from the beauty of the manual scoreboards.
    The manual scoreboards are minuscule from the Grandstand.

they spent $1.5 billion in the year 2009 and:

1. put that thing in CF blocking the view for hundreds of fans. it's not an issue of
    $5 price, it's an issue of respect.
    2. the look, design and placement of monument park. it looks like it was just
    dropped in there.
    3. a fan cannot take their son/daughter down close to the field for BP, a signature,
    picture or a simple closeup look at their favorite players unless they have a
    ticket for that high priced section. this has gotta change.
    4. empty seats in the high rent district.
    5. high food prices.....sidenote: nobody forces fans to buy it. take your own in.
    6. poor seat and sections markers, not a big deal though.
    7. getting my ticket checked by an usher everytime i'm re-entering my section.
    8. longtime fans getting priced out of their seats and then getting dissed out by a
    ticket agent on an 800 # or impersonal email.

thanks for this thread and the "things i like thread". i keep saying the same junk.
    do i think someone is listening? who cares....can't wait to get back to a game.
    sat+ pkg section 236
    2/05 seniority

NYYF Legend

Bronx, NY (Home of the Yanks!)/Trumbull, CT

Quote Originally Posted by __starr69
    The manual scoreboards are minuscule from the Grandstand.
    I was sitting all the way in the back row of the Grandstand and has no problem seeing the manual scoreboards or anything on them.

(BTW, that was in Sec. 409 looking towards the LF manual scoreboard, which was on the other side of the stadium. I found them to be big enough.)
    27-TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS

I was sitting all the way in the back row of the Grandstand and has no problem seeing the manual scoreboards or anything on them.

(BTW, that was in Sec. 409 looking towards the LF manual scoreboard, which was on the other side of the stadium. I found them to be big enough.)
    Well, I could see the scoreboard itself (of course, otherwise I wouldn't be able to see the Pepsi ads!) but the numbers were too small for me to accurately make out.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi
    You took the wrong route . The ramps are on the far ends; the stairs are near the center.

Quote Originally Posted by NYYDragoon
    You took the wrong route . The ramps are on the far ends; the stairs are near the center.
    Very good to know. Scratch complaint #3!
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Legend

I guess I will repost my thoughts in the "bitch" thread ... My main issues with the new place.

The seats I had on opening day were very similar to my now non-existent Main Reserve seats. However, unlike the old seats that sloped normal to up, these seats slope down, which means for someone who is 5ft tall like me, can't see anything unless I sit on the edge of the seat. And even with that the sight lines were not great. I also felt A LOT further from the action, even though the seats were probably pretty comparable.

As others mentioned, the crowd totally didn't sound the same. I don't know if its a product of the Opening Day crowd, but I have never felt that way before on Opening Day and it could be because we are not literally "right on top" of the action like we were at the old place, or it could be because there's no sound coming from the lower deck because the seats aren't sold

Looking down on the empty Legends seats made me quite depressed. Here I am further away from the action and there are hundreds of empty seats, priced out of the hands of the fans. It just became a sad reflection on what Yankee Stadium has become. I am in the next to last row of the stadium (in my new tix) and no one is sitting close to the players. The all-mighty buck "won out" but perhaps Karma will be a bitch.

I did not get to Monument Park, but it looks more like Monument Closet, tucked away under that damn restaurant in CF, barely visible to the rest of the stadium. The pride and tradition are huge for the Yankees and to tuck it away under the restaurant is just plain disrespectful. I hope that they can change it.

The open concourses are cool but the lines are very long. The line at Nathan's went quick (but the chicken fingers were gross!). $34 for 2 fingers, an order of fries and 2 sodas. I didn't try the Carl's line because it was about 35 people long and I really prefer to watch baseball vs. wait in lines.

The bathrooms were bigger but still have no hot water or automated sinks/toilets/paper towel holders. $1.6 billion doesn't get you what it used to!

oh, missed this one.....the yankees have no arrangement to let freddy sez into the stadium....model's got him in for the first game. i saw him. but he was denied entry to the second game. for years now he has unconditionally supported the yankees and got dissed in return. he got his tickets from fans in the past and guess that has gone away with NYS. hope someone steps up on this.
    sat+ pkg section 236
    2/05 seniority

Quote Originally Posted by montoursville mayhem
    oh, missed this one.....the yankees have no arrangement to let freddy sez into the stadium....model's got him in for the first game. i saw him. but he was denied entry to the second game. for years now he has unconditionally supported the yankees and got dissed in return. he got his tickets from fans in the past and guess that has gone away with NYS. hope someone steps up on this.
    Oh, wow. That's horrible. Especially with all of the empty seats they have (even though he doesn't even use a seat!)
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by montoursville mayhem
    Screw him. I've supported the team for years too, and I never got any free tix. What kind of support is that? Pony up!

As for my complaint, off the top of my head, I would've liked some small TVs at the urinals. It's good that they at least have the radio call, but with all the other HDTVs around the concourse, it would seem they should have put it there, where you actually can't see the game at all otherwise.

NYYF Legend

Freddy was there today.

Thread Information