+ Reply to Thread

NYYF Legend

Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

Re: Stan Musial

Gotta love Stan.
    Just a Sox Fan with a Yankee Wife in tow... and with one little Red Sox fan now welcoming her new baby Yankee fan sister into "our" Yankees/Red Sox World.

Daddy Loves His Baby Angels

NYYF Legend

Stan "The Man" Musial. When I was a kid even though I was always a Yankee fan, I greatly admired Musial and tried to imitate his unique batting stance. He was a favorite of all of my friends who loved to see him play against the hated Brooklyn Dodgers. By the way, I believe he got his knickname from the Dodgers who he hit very successfully for a long period of time. What a class act!

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one
    Stan "The Man" Musial. When I was a kid even though I was always a Yankee fan, I greatly admired Musial and tried to imitate his unique batting stance. He was a favorite of all of my friends who loved to see him play against the hated Brooklyn Dodgers. By the way, I believe he got his knickname from the Dodgers who he hit very successfully for a long period of time. What a class act!
    Without a doubt. He's one of the top all-time greats. My Dad, a National league Giant/Met fan, took me to games where I saw this amazing player ! I remember wishing he was on the Yankees !
    Roger Maris = single season "natural" home-run record-holder.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one
    By the way, I believe he got his knickname from the Dodgers who he hit very successfully for a long period of time. What a class act!
    That's correct. Ebbets Field was his home away from home.

GOOD LORD, DON'T SCARE ME LIKE THAT!

Really, I just saw Stan Musial as the thread title, and thought the Baseball Family lost another treasure.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Steve J. Rogers

Really, I just saw Stan Musial as the thread title, and thought the Baseball Family lost another treasure.
    sorry about that.

One of the All-Time Greats for sure, and a gentleman! I must agree with the sentiment in one of the prior posts; too bas he wasn't a Yankee!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve J. Rogers

If I didn't know better, that would've been my first thought, too.

He threw out the first pitch at the Cards opener this year; apparently, he rarely makes public appearances anymore.

Maybe it's because we're so wrapped up in everything Boston/New York and he's in St. Louis, but Stan always felt like the most "underrated" great. Yeah, he's in the Hall, and people appreciate him, but I feel like he too often slips under the radar with most casual fans -- it takes a while for his name to come to mind when you're rattling off a list of the all-time top hitters.
    "You aint my b!tch, n!gga! Buy your own damn fries!" -- Barack Obama

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by penguin4
    [...]Stan always felt like the most "underrated" great. Yeah, he's in the Hall, and people appreciate him, but I feel like he too often slips under the radar with most casual fans -- it takes a while for his name to come to mind when you're rattling off a list of the all-time top hitters.
    True, all true. However, none of those who were privileged to see him play will ever forget him. I grew up in Wilmington, DE, and periodically there would be, in the 1950s, these "special" trains that would rain up to Philadelphia for certain games. For Cardinal games they were always full, and you could hear the name "Musial" as you walked from car to car. As most people know, the Phil. fans can be pretty rough, but Musial always received hearty applause; and the talismanic "Stan the Man" could begin being heard in the crowd as soon as he came on deck.

We'll see how MLB remembers him this All Star Game.

Thread Information