+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Yankeeland: In the Shadow of the Stadium

New Yankee movie coming out this spring...

http://shadowofthestadium.com/main.html
    Rich

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Re: Yankeeland: In the Shadow of the Stadium

Cool. Doesn't say where/when it'll be out. Is it straight to DVD?

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan
    Cool. Doesn't say where/when it'll be out. Is it straight to DVD?
    I'm not sure, it is only saying Spring 2009.
    Rich

looks interesting...I just hope its not a Michael Moore-style mockumentary.
    -RudEdoG71

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesrule2000
    New Yankee movie coming out this spring...

http://shadowofthestadium.com/main.html
    I never see movies - this one looks kind of cool, but it's an awfully thin premise for a movie (about the people who live around the stadium?) and I have no clue who any of those actors are. I would not expect this to do well.

Devoted Member

Almost seems like they're using Yankee Stadium as their hook to deliver some kind of political movie.

NYYF HOF

Oh, I'm sure it's an homage to the entrepreneurial spirit of the locals that take advantage of the opportunities that the stadium presents.
    Or, it's a political hack-job.
    Beware the Bobcat!!!

.... this really smells like a political hackjob.

Shadows of Las Vegas, Atlantic City, and just about any other major tourist attraction and you get some very unpleasant neighborhoods.

Yea it looks like it could be a hack job. I'll probably still check it out.
    Rich

Finally had to change avatars NYYRules#1's Avatar
    Bronx, NY (Home of the Yanks!)/Trumbull, CT

It sounds like it'll be a complete hackjob. Look on the "lineup" page, and look at Bernice White, Dominique Smith, Bobby Brown, and John Hennessey. If their quotes are any indication, expect this to be some movie that tells of all the ills around the Stadium and then blames much of it on the Yanks.

I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it. I bet they'll have some nice beginning with all the baseball-related people in there, and then do a complete hack job from there on out.
    1923•1927•1928•1932•1936•1937•1938•1939•1941•1943•1947•1949•1950
    1951•1952•1953•1956•1958•1961•1962•1977•1978•1996•1998•1999•2000
    27-TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS

Quote Originally Posted by NYYRules#1
    It sounds like it'll be a complete hackjob. Look on the "lineup" page, and look at Bernice White, Dominique Smith, Bobby Brown, and John Hennessey. If their quotes are any indication, expect this to be some movie that tells of all the ills around the Stadium and then blames much of it on the Yanks.

I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it. I bet they'll have some nice beginning with all the baseball-related people in there, and then do a complete hack job from there on out.
    I could see that. It looks like a Micheal Moore type film.
    Rich

Addicted Member

This looks pretty good. I'm sure there will be some political agenda behind it but I'd still like to hear the stories of all the characters and businesses I've always seen around the stadium. At the very least it will be a doc on the yankees with a different flavor from the formulaic YES Yankeeographies.

Looks not bad wonder when it comes out i assume they will sel copies of it in stans store since one of the co-owners is in it.

I don't think it particularly blames any of the neighborhood's ills on the Yankees. If it says that the Yankees and the Stadium are generally of very limited benefit to the neighborhood, that's true.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

My cousin lives in the area and is a small business owner in the area. In 2008, 35% of his profit loss occurred in October alone.

Quote Originally Posted by vookaleer
    My cousin lives in the area and is a small business owner in the area. In 2008, 35% of his profit loss occurred in October alone.
    October of last year was a pretty bad month all around.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Finally had to change avatars NYYRules#1's Avatar
    Bronx, NY (Home of the Yanks!)/Trumbull, CT

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3
    I don't think it particularly blames any of the neighborhood's ills on the Yankees. If it says that the Yankees and the Stadium are generally of very limited benefit to the neighborhood, that's true.
    They're certainly of limited benefit to neighbors who don't own businesses and simply live in the area, although I'd argue they don't harm those people at all (quite the opposite in fact - I'd say the Yankees' presence is a net positive, as it tends to keep propertly values in the immediate area slightly higher than in other parts of the South Bronx). To business owners, they're certainly of great value - and not just to owners of baseball-related stores (i.e. Stan's). The influx of 50,000+ people to a single concentrated area 81+ times a year is tremendously beneficial to owners of businesses in that area - it substantially increases their possible clientele on those 81+ days. The amount of businesses that would almost immediately disappear if the Yankees were to leave would be gigantic - everyone from the McDonald's to the clothing stores to the people selling waters and whatnot, not to mention the bars, the bowling alley, the memorabilia shops, etc. The Yankees keep that neighborhood lively and full of open and prospering businesses, and a lively neighbor tends to have better property values, less violent crime, etc., than one that is not lively.
    1923•1927•1928•1932•1936•1937•1938•1939•1941•1943•1947•1949•1950
    1951•1952•1953•1956•1958•1961•1962•1977•1978•1996•1998•1999•2000
    27-TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS

Gentrification can be discussed without it being a hackjob.

They're certainly of limited benefit to neighbors who don't own businesses and simply live in the area, although I'd argue they don't harm those people at all (quite the opposite in fact - I'd say the Yankees' presence is a net positive, as it tends to keep propertly values in the immediate area slightly higher than in other parts of the South Bronx). To business owners, they're certainly of great value - and not just to owners of baseball-related stores (i.e. Stan's). The influx of 50,000+ people to a single concentrated area 81+ times a year is tremendously beneficial to owners of businesses in that area - it substantially increases their possible clientele on those 81+ days. The amount of businesses that would almost immediately disappear if the Yankees were to leave would be gigantic - everyone from the McDonald's to the clothing stores to the people selling waters and whatnot, not to mention the bars, the bowling alley, the memorabilia shops, etc. The Yankees keep that neighborhood lively and full of open and prospering businesses, and a lively neighbor tends to have better property values, less violent crime, etc., than one that is not lively.
    Good post i think its same for alot of ballparks

Did anyone else find the video game players with big bodies and small heads disturbing?

Quote Originally Posted by DEADSOX
    Did anyone else find the video game players with big bodies and small heads disturbing?
    Yeah i actually did , its like its some freakshow thing and they were red sox players i believe

The Stadium brings some benefit to the local businesses, but except for the few across the street - and the game-day hawkers - even that is a very limited benefit. Yankee fans drastically overestimate the amount of business they bring in. The fact is that the vast majority of fans go into the Stadium and leave without spending any money in any of the local stores. McDonald's certainly isn't kept viable by the Yankees - they'd do just fine either way - and the clothing stores, supermarket, stationery stores, drugstores? They get close to zero from Yankee fans.

161 St. is a busy shopping district all year round. The courts are instrumental in keeping the restaurants afloat; the Yankees aren't. If the Yankees were to disappear, places like Stan's Sports Bar would go under; some businesses would take a hit, but not as huge a hit as you think; and most of the businesses would do just fine.

As for the rest of the residents, your argument would have been stronger before the new Stadium was built. But the loss of Macombs Dam Park was a huge loss to the community, and outweighs any incidental benefits the Stadium may bring to the residents in the area.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by Bambino22
    Gentrification can be discussed without it being a hackjob.
    Gentrification is not happening in the area around yankee stadium and its not intended to be gentrification. Yankee stadium and the Courthouse do help some local businesses and provide jobs but stadiums are not vehicles for neighborhood change, thats been proven time and time again in America. I dont think thats the intention of yankee stadium either, the intention was to keep the yanks in the Bronx because of the long history there.
    If you listen to the fans you’ll be sitting with them soon enough.- Brian Cashman

Quote Originally Posted by R.V.47
    Gentrification is not happening in the area around yankee stadium and its not intended to be gentrification. Yankee stadium and the Courthouse do help some local businesses and provide jobs but stadiums are not vehicles for neighborhood change, thats been proven time and time again in America. I dont think thats the intention of yankee stadium either, the intention was to keep the yanks in the Bronx because of the long history there.
    Well, that, and to make a whole lot of money for Yankee ownership. But I agree, gentrification isn't coming to that area in the near future.

In terms of the economics of the area, the new mall is likely to be of more benefit than the new Stadium. The mall will provide a lot of jobs and a lot of commerce that weren't there before, and better jobs than the Stadium offers. Oddly enough, I think the Stadium will actually work at cross-purposes with the mall - because who's going to want to go to that mall on a weekend afternoon in the summer when there's a ballgame?
    - Barry Manilow

a glorified game of catch? I'm not sure this was made by baseball fans, rather some figures looking to make some political message... no thanks.

Thread Information