+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 125 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 57 107 ... LastLast

Re: Melky Cabrera - 2009

i dont understand why they bothered to sign him so they could then trade him before the season starts

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny
    i dont understand why they bothered to sign him so they could then trade him before the season starts
    Perhaps its possible they werent expecting Gardner to be this good? I think Melkys option flexibility probably made him the front runner at least in the FOs eyes but Gardner has made it pretty much impossible for him not to get the job.
    If you listen to the fans you’ll be sitting with them soon enough.- Brian Cashman

Quote Originally Posted by R.V.47
    Perhaps its possible they werent expecting Gardner to be this good? I think Melkys option flexibility probably made him the front runner at least in the FOs eyes but Gardner has made it pretty much impossible for him not to get the job.
    I can't say it enough: blowing Melky's last option was a horrible blunder by the FO.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by R.V.47
    if that were the case, they should have done it last year based on Gardner's great 07 spring, but that would have been disastrous. giving Gardner the job for the entire year based on ST with no backup doesnt make much sense after giving Melky $1.4 mil and making him less tradeable

Sorry Melky, after I defended you last offseason and the bad shape you came to camp in, and the poor showing all year, I just don't like you anymore no matter how much the Yankees or this board try to cram you in our faces. I will boo you when you come to bat. Please just go away.
    Last edited by TheInfallibleOne; 03-25-09 at 11:02 PM.
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

I like that this thread, appropriately, omits the word "performance" from its title.
    I have no association with "TEPLimey" at nomaas. Apparently a very disturbed individual likes to get their rocks off on pretending they are me. Sad, really.

I say send him down to AAA and let him work just on his hitting mechanics, try to get his trade value up and re-evaluate next spring.

Melky's swing just isn't good. He needs to be completely broken down and learn to swing again. It is very awkward.
    The coming of The Carpenter.
    “I love to hit. I want to hit .300, .400, .500. I just love to hit.”

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by iiMax
    I say send him down to AAA and let him work just on his hitting mechanics, try to get his trade value up and re-evaluate next spring.
    He's out of options. If the Yankees send him to AAA and some other team wanted him they could just claim him, I believe. So essentially he has no trade value unless he is named the starter and performs well, and that doesn't seem likely.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz
    He's out of options. If the Yankees send him to AAA and some other team wanted him they could just claim him, I believe. So essentially he has no trade value unless he is named the starter and performs well.
    Then I guess defensive sub is the best he can do for now. That sucks, such talent wasted.

He's out of options. If the Yankees send him to AAA and some other team wanted him they could just claim him, I believe. So essentially he has no trade value unless he is named the starter and performs well, and that doesn't seem likely.
    No team wants Melky Cabrera for $1.4M including this one.
    I have no association with "TEPLimey" at nomaas. Apparently a very disturbed individual likes to get their rocks off on pretending they are me. Sad, really.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TEPLimey
    You may be right about that.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TEPLimey
    I could be wrong, but I be he'd be claimed.
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    I could be wrong, but I be he'd be claimed.
    there are some barriers:
    the "economy" and melky at 1.4 can be seen as excessive
    there are a lot of veteran outfielders w/o jobs... you'd think they'd get hired before Leche

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by delv
    there are some barriers:
    the "economy" and melky at 1.4 can be seen as excessive
    there are a lot of veteran outfielders w/o jobs... you'd think they'd get hired before Leche
    Well how many players are out there that can play a solid CF that has shown some ability, even if he sucked last year? Either way, unless he is DFA'd, we won't find out if I'm wrong.
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

Quote Originally Posted by themgmt
    Melky's swing just isn't good. He needs to be completely broken down and learn to swing again. It is very awkward.
    I pretty much said the same thing when two years ago people were projecting 25 - 30 HR potential for Melky. His swing has always looked really weird to me.

NYYF Legend

FoxSports.com's Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the Yankees are open to moving outfielder Melky Cabrera, who he writes would be a perfect fit for the White Sox. A trade of Cabrera, 24 and out of options, would create opportunities to give more at-bats to Nick Swisher, who is behind Xavier Nady on the depth chart but can play all three outfield positions as well as first base.
    http://yes.mlblogs.com/archives/2009...ng_cabrer.html
    GO YANKS
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 20 23 32 37 42 44 46 49 51

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TheBamTino24
    Rosenthal reports Melky is being shopped, but his reasoning makes no sense The Yankees are telling clubs that they are open to moving outfielder Melky Cabrera, who would be a perfect fit for the White Sox.

Cabrera trails Brett Gardner in the Yankees' center-field competition. By trading him, the team could open at-bats for Nick Swisher, who was beaten out by Xavier Nady in right field but also plays center, left and first.

The Yankees have talked about trading either Nady or Swisher, but potential suitors might be more willing to part with young talent for Cabrera, who is 24 and four years away from free agency.
    (Source)

Ok, so the Yankees are supposedly trying to trade Melky, fine. We'd look to trade Gardner before Melky, because they both stink and you could probably get more for Mr. Spring Training than Melky...but whatever, you say tomato, we say tomahto (is that how you would spell that?). There are three parts of Rosenthal's blurb that don't make sense to us.

1. The random mention of the White Sox. Are the White Sox interested?

2. Young talent for Melky. Define "talent" because who's going to give up a meaningful player for someone who's regressed two seasons in a row.

3. Opening ABs for Swisher. How does trading Melky affect Nick Swisher's playing time at all? Is Rosenthal implying that Cabrera would take away ABs from Swisher? If that's the plan, then Girardi and the entire front office should be tied up and thrown into the Hudson. In other words, Rosenthal needs to think before he types.

If the Yankees are actively shopping Melky, it's probably because they realize they have two lousy options for CF and you might as well see what you can get for one of them.

http://nomaas.org/

Well, I wouldn't say that, as a team that is interested in him might very well not be able to claim him. It certainly does hurt his already low value.

If I'm the Yanks, though, why deal him unless you get something you feel might contain SOME value at some point. Otherwise try to get him down to AAA. If you lose him, you'd be in the same place as if you dealt him for garbage.

NYYF Legend

Neyer:

A few points …

One, it's never made any sense for the Yankees to keep both Cabrera and Gardner on the 25-man roster. Gardner offers defense along with maybe the ability to reach base, while Cabrera offers little defense and just maybe the ability to hit for some power, someday. Gardner bats left-handed, while Cabrera's a switch-hitter who has (to this point) fared particularly poorly against left-handed pitchers.

Two, if you're going to get rid of one of them, Cabrera's probably the guy. At least Gardner's demonstrated that he can do something (run and field) and might do something else (reach base). At this point, it's not clear that Cabrera can do anything. And I say that, having written -- just two or three years ago -- that by now Melky would be one of the 10 best center fielders in the majors (not one of my more brilliant predictions).

Cabrera's upside might still be higher than Gardner's … but the Yankees can't worry about upside. They're trying to win right now, and Gardner gives them a slightly better chance of doing that.

Three, the Yankees aren't going to trade Nick Swisher because they need him. If Joe Girardi can't somehow get Swisher nearly 500 plate appearances this season, then he's not a good enough manager for this club. I'm at the front of the line criticizing the supposed decision to make Nady the everyday right fielder, but I'm willing to cut Girardi just a little slack for the moment. There just isn't any justification for Nady getting more playing time than Swisher in the long run.
    http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...name=Neyer_Rob

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by themgmt
    I don't get to see many games, but does he seem to be getting worse each year? The few times I did get to watch, either on TV or in person, he looked like he was out in front of just about everything.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

I think there are a couple of jobs in the food court left for Igawa and Melky.

NYYF Legend

has everyone been so blinded by their hatred for this kid that they don't realize that he's actually outproduced gardner the past 2 weeks or so?
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

If there is a team wants him and takes his $1.4M, I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24
    has everyone been so blinded by their hatred for this kid that they don't realize that he's actually outproduced gardner the past 2 weeks or so?
    puts a sting in the ol' nads doesnt it?
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

Thread Information