+ Reply to Thread

Jack Morris isnt better then Bert Blyleven at anything,why is Morris regarded higher?

Blyleven
    287 wins
    3.31 era
    118era+
    postseason era 2.87

Jack Morris
    wins 254
    era 3.90
    era+105
    postseason era 3.80

Mike Francessa "Blyleven isnt a hall of famer in my mind, Jack Morris is."

NYYF Legend

Re: Jack Morris isnt better then Bert Blyleven at anything,why is Morris regarded higher?

Jack Morris threw a 10 inning shutout in Game 7 of the World Series.

Not saying it's fair, but that's why.

NYYF Legend

Re: Jack Morris isnt better then Bert Blyleven at anything,why is Morris regarded higher?

Andre Dawson 361 67.0% 65.9%
    Bert Blyleven 338 62.7% 61.9%
    Lee Smith 240 44.5% 43.3%
    Jack Morris 237 44.0% 42.9%
    Tommy John (final ballot) 171 31.7% 29.1%
    Tim Raines 122 22.6% 24.3%

Alright, alright, alright... Big_E's Avatar
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by sabermet prospectus
    Blyleven
    387 wins
    3.31 era
    118era+
    postseason era 2.87

Jack Morris
    wins 254
    era 3.90
    era+105
    postseason era 3.80

Mike Francessa "Blyleven isnt a hall of famer in my mind, Jack Morris is."
    Blyleven def did not win 387 games

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeeah

Don Larsen pitched a perfect game int he world series. Whats your point? And not to mention everyone acts like Morris was lights out in postseason when he was far from it. A 3.80 era isnt bad but its not some extraordinary postseason performance or anything. Im not putting a guy in the hall for one game.

Not to mention a 3.90 era. I mean seriously they want to put a guy with an almost 4 era in the hall ? That era wouldnt be hall of fame now in the roid era, let alone when Morris pitched it looks even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E
    Blyleven def did not win 387 games
    Oh youre right. let me change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rice14
    Andre Dawson 361 67.0% 65.9%
    Bert Blyleven 338 62.7% 61.9%
    Lee Smith 240 44.5% 43.3%
    Jack Morris 237 44.0% 42.9%
    Tommy John (final ballot) 171 31.7% 29.1%
    Tim Raines 122 22.6% 24.3%
    Yeah but Morris hasnt been on the ballot as long as Blyleven yet. Compare what Bleyleven got in voting percentage when he was a newer edition to the voting. Ok well let me edit this they are only 2 years apart. I doubt Morris will go up 20 percentage points 2 years from now but still the general perception seems to be Morris is better. Even 40 is way too high for Morris. The guy isnt close to being a hall of famer. Not close.

Re: Jack Morris isnt better then Bert Blyleven at anything,why is Morris regarded hig

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeeah

The only reason why he's getting votes is that and the fact that he's the winningest pitcher of the '80s. Pretty bad reasons IMO. Morris would be the worst pitcher in the Hall by far if he got in.

Francesa doesn't know what he's talking about. Nothing new.

NYYF Legend

Blyleven is hurt by all the bad teams he pitched on. He's got 287 wins, but 250 losses, 10th all time and 5th in the modern era. He went almost an entire decade in the prime of his career where he never won more than 15 games. During those 9 seasons, from age 24-33 which should have been his prime years, he went 96-85.

Morris is remembered as the winningest pitcher of the 80's and he's remembered fondly for the 84 and 91 World Series. (Although not many seem to recall him crapping the bed in the 92 WS).

Looking at the numbers it's clear Blyleven was better, but some people seem to remember Morris as the better pitcher.
    Last edited by Rice14; 02-14-09 at 07:51 AM.

NYYF Triple Crown

Don Larsen pitched a perfect game int he world series. Whats your point? And not to mention everyone acts like Morris was lights out in postseason when he was far from it. A 3.80 era isnt bad but its not some extraordinary postseason performance or anything. Im not putting a guy in the hall for one game.

Not to mention a 3.90 era. I mean seriously they want to put a guy with an almost 4 era in the hall ? That era wouldnt be hall of fame now in the roid era, let alone when Morris pitched it looks even worse.
    The point is that you asked why Morris is regarded higher, and the poster gave an example of why. He didn't say it was fair, just the reason why

How's your blog coming along?

NYYF Legend

You asked for a reason and I gave one. Relax.

Thread Information