+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Baseballs Biggest Ripoff (Selig made 17.5 mil)

In a time when every dollar the yankees spend apparently causes a small market team to close its doors. The person whos paid the most for the least is not Barry Zito, its not the American Idle, its Bud Selig.

17.5 million for deciding that a World Series game cant end before 9 full?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3878964
    If you dont plan on winning, you might as well just go home -Derek Jeter

Re: Baseballs Biggest Ripoff (Selig made 17.5 mil)

Now we know why he hates the Yanks so much

In 2007, the only players who received higher cash compensation were a trio of the Yankees: Alex Rodriguez at $23 million (plus $4 million deferred), Derek Jeter at $22 million (including a $2 million payment as part of his signing bonus) and Jason Giambi at $21.5 million (including a $500,000 payment as part of his signing bonus).
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADSOX
    We won, stop bitching. Bitches.
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...n23/george.jpg

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TheDynasty26
    In a time when every dollar the yankees spend apparently causes a small market team to close its doors. The person whos paid the most for the least is not Barry Zito, its not the American Idle, its Bud Selig.
    I thought Selig was the American Idle?

Quote Originally Posted by DrNick
    Now we know why he hates the Yanks so much
    Fans of small market teams will swear on a Bible that Selig always favors the big market teams, the New Yorks, Chicago, Boston...and fans in the big markets swear that Selig hates them, but I can't see one thing that Selig has ever done that has hurt anyone.....or helped anyone, for that matter. Playing the role of the persecuted has become a bigger American pasttime than baseball itself.
    "I'm sorry Smokey, you were over the line, that's a foul....mark it zero Dude, next frame"

NYYF Legend

Maybe one day Bud Selig will take a line drive to the head sitting in his dugout seat and suddenly become a good commissioner

Quote Originally Posted by TheDynasty26

17.5 million for deciding that a World Series game cant end before 9 full?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3878964
    Bud has made ungodly amounts for the owners in MLB. I'd imagine they'd be happy paying him a lot more than $17.5M.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Meecham4ever
    Fans of small market teams will swear on a Bible that Selig always favors the big market teams, the New Yorks, Chicago, Boston...and fans in the big markets swear that Selig hates them, but I can't see one thing that Selig has ever done that has hurt anyone.....or helped anyone, for that matter. Playing the role of the persecuted has become a bigger American pasttime than baseball itself.
    I had begun to think I was the only one who felt that way. So thank you.

NYYF Legend

finally, a deal that makes Zito look like a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by Meecham4ever
    The revenue that the Yankees and sawx " contribute " to less skillfully managed teams doesn't help them?

The Marlins have gotten more in MLB welfare than they pay out in salary over the last 4-5 years
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Forum Regular

Selig has one of the most cool jobs in the world. Unbelievable that he makes that much money. If baseball is claiming poverty then only pay a commissioner one million dollars a year. That is still a lot of money for a cool job in baseball.

hey Bud... Warren Buffett's annual salary for the last 20+ years has been $100,000 (He set that himself) so his company could grow and his employees make more money. Take a hint

NYYF Legend

Goofiest man in America

Quote Originally Posted by BxBomber44
    hey Bud... Warren Buffett's annual salary for the last 20+ years has been $100,000 (He set that himself) so his company could grow and his employees make more money. Take a hint
    MLB is much, much bigger and makes much, much more money now than it did when Bud took over in 1992. So what's the hint? I'm missing it.

Mr. May

Continuing a proud and long-standing tradition of instituting silly policies that nobody likes, Major League Baseball has instituted a silly policy that nobody will like. In this year's World Baseball Classic, if a game enters its thirteenth inning, every half-inning thereafter will begin with runners on first and second.

It must be a numbers game. If Bud Selig has hundreds, even thousands, of terrible baseball ideas, it's inevitable that some of them slip through and become reality. Today's Dugout observes the process through which bad ideas are approved, and is after the jump.
    http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2009/01/30/t...-theater/#cont
    A-Rod supporter.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Dalkowski
    MLB is much, much bigger and makes much, much more money now than it did when Bud took over in 1992. So what's the hint? I'm missing it.
    Well, he already denied having any knowledge of steroids going around baseball. Therefore, he still hasn't done sh*t.

Of course though, the best move he has done is turning a blind-eye to the steroid era which is the biggest reason for more money than anything this clown can claim to have done.

NYYF Legend

And people think the players are overpaid.

He definitely has his faults and makes too much money, but the wild card, interleague play, and replays have all come under his watch, along with the luxury tax. I wouldn't say he's the worst in history...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by The Yankee Kahuna
    I somewhat understand that. Teams don't want pitchers throwing their arms out in this thing. The Olympics does that too

NYYF Legend

That's a lot of used cars.

NYYF Legend

Bud Selig: Big money, little performance. He's the perfect candidate to play for the Yankees.
    "They're going to send me back to Omaha, and I don't even live there." - Rube Baker

My boss (who's always touting Selig as "the greatest Commissioner baseball ever had" because without him his job wouldn't exist), was going on the other day about this, how disgusting it was that Selig was making all this money while MLB was making cuts.

Maybe I'm not seeing things straight because I'm at the bottom, but if CEOs were willing to concede a fraction of their salary (I mean, really, when you're being paid that much, is there really a huge lifestyle difference between 17 million and 15 million?), maybe a few more people (i.e. the 20 writers MLB had to let go) could keep their jobs. Why should they continue to rake in the same salary if their companies are suffering?
    "You aint my b!tch, n!gga! Buy your own damn fries!" -- Barack Obama

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigjf
    He definitely has his faults and makes too much money, but the wild card, interleague play, and replays have all come under his watch, along with the luxury tax. I wouldn't say he's the worst in history...
    The Wild Card, Interleague, replays and luxury tax are all things I could do without.

BTW, how much does each team pay him? Do they all pay him the same, or do they have a floating percentage that each team gives him, based upon what they earn that season?
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee
    The Wild Card, Interleague, replays and luxury tax are all things I could do without.

BTW, how much does each team pay him? Do they all pay him the same, or do they have a floating percentage that each team gives him, based upon what they earn that season?
    Really? You don't like the Luxury Tax?
    Pardon, for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee

I don't know who pays what, but are you seriously trying to tell me that the wild card and interleague play are bad ideas? Yes, maybe interleague could stand to be cut down a bit, but I still find it interesting. But especially the wild card...that keeps many teams' seasons alive way later into the season than previously. So I don't buy that argument at all, and I certainly don't think Selig cares if one fan says he doesn't like the wild card.

Not a shock that you don't like the luxury tax, but it certainly helps keep the league competitive, for the most part.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bigjf
    I don't know who pays what, but are you seriously trying to tell me that the wild card and interleague play are bad ideas? Yes, maybe interleague could stand to be cut down a bit, but I still find it interesting. But especially the wild card...that keeps many teams' seasons alive way later into the season than previously. So I don't buy that argument at all, and I certainly don't think Selig cares if one fan says he doesn't like the wild card.

Not a shock that you don't like the luxury tax, but it certainly helps keep the league competitive, for the most part.
    I'm for interleague play, but seriously who isn't for the wild card?? Only 4 teams in the postseason would be a complete joke with this many teams. This isn't 1923

Thread Information