+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Roy Halladay and the Hall of Fame

I was just looking at Roy Halladay's career numbers earlier today, and I can't imagine him having the credentials to make the HOF unless he can keep this up for 4-6 more years.

He is perceived to be one of the best pitchers in the game, which I completely agree with. His numbers are falling a little short for the HOF voters though.

He is entering his age 32 season and he only has 131 wins with a career 3.52 ERA and 1287 K's in roughly 1800 innings. He has 1 Cy Young award and has finished in the top 5 three other times. He is a 2-time 20 game winner.

Is Halladay a HOF pitcher in your eyes? He is in mine (or well on his way) even though the numbers don't show it yet.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/h/hallaro01.shtml

NYYF Legend

Re: Roy Halladay and the Hall of Fame

It all depends on how his career finishes up. Obviously he'll need well over 200 wins to make the Hall. Two or three more years as and ace along with a couple solid seasons on the back end and he'll have a great case.

NYYF Legend

What is the lowest win total for an HOF pitcher?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84
    What is the lowest win total for an HOF pitcher?
    http://www.baseball-almanac.com/hof/hofstpi.shtml

Looks like Rollie Fingers with 114. But he was also a reliever. Dizzy Dean had 150 across 230 starts in 317 games.

Halladay would need at LEAST 200 wins. he could be a HoFer, but he would have to keep going strong through his mid/late 30s

I think Halladay is at the crossroads of his career right now. If he can put together a bunch of terrific, healthy seasons, he could make it. As of this point, he's not there. He's been too spotty with his health, even though he's been a great pitcher. In any case, he has time to make those numbers stand out.

A good comp is Mussina, except that Mussina catapulted out of the gates early in his carreer, where Halladay took a few years to get rolling. Halladay at his peak is a marginally better pitcher, but I think his slow start is going to cost him. He'll need to pitch very effectively into his late 30's to get any real consideration. It's a shame his '05 and his '04 were cut short.

At this point, he's not even close.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Addicted Member

I may be mistaken, but I think he'll be a free agent in 2010. If he signs with a decent team (hopefully the Yankees) he has a chance.

Good point here re: Halliday's HOF probability. Never really thought of it before, but if Doc doesn't have another five very good seasons he will end up as a member of the Hall of Very Good. Where Jim Rice, Don Sutton and a host of others belong.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3
    Agreed

I think by the end of his career he'll be a solid candidate.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

If Jim Rice can get in, not only will Halladay be in the HoF, Victor Zambrano might be getting a plaque as well.
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.

"They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

Quote Originally Posted by Mark19
    If Jim Rice can get in, not only will Halladay be in the HoF, Victor Zambrano might be getting a plaque as well.
    Well no kidding. Once Rick Petersen fixes him up, VZam will be unstoppable.

You don't think that's a rather...overheated reaction to Rice's election?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

You don't think that's a rather...overheated reaction to Rice's election?
    Yes, Rice's modern day pitching contemporary would likely be someone more like Barry Zito.
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.

"They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

Yes, Rice's modern day pitching contemporary would likely be someone more like Barry Zito.
    I'm sorry, but that's just silly. I think Rice was a bad selection, but the reaction to the choice has been way over the top.
    - Barry Manilow

Released Outright JavyVazquezIsSick's Avatar

Agreed.

NYYF Triple Crown

It's not even close right now, largely due to a slow start to his career and because he played for the Blue Jays

Had he pitched his 06 & 07 seasons for the Yanks or the Sox, he probably would've won 20 per season (he won 16 a piece) and being a 4 time 20-game winner would open some eyes, even if it were just 8 more wins total.

That said, he still has a possibility if he pitches 4 more great years and 4 solid years til age 40. He'll have to win a ton of games, but if he settles at 250 wins at the end of his career, he'd have a good argument, particularly since he's been statistically great (esp. in the AL East) but the wins aren't there. Very Mussina situation-like.

NYYF Legend

he's one of those pitchers who will be remembered in his time as one of the filthiest pitchers... but HOFer? probably not
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

I kinda wish he'd retire so he could be that many years closer to being eligible.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Melan-cynic
    Good point here re: Halliday's HOF probability. Never really thought of it before, but if Doc doesn't have another five very good seasons he will end up as a member of the Hall of Very Good. Where Jim Rice, Don Sutton and a host of others belong.
    Well said. Then of course there's the Hall of 'How did I get in?' where guys like Mazeroski and Rizzuto belong.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ChewieTobbacca
    It's not even close right now, largely due to a slow start to his career and because he played for the Blue Jays

Had he pitched his 06 & 07 seasons for the Yanks or the Sox, he probably would've won 20 per season (he won 16 a piece) and being a 4 time 20-game winner would open some eyes, even if it were just 8 more wins total.

That said, he still has a possibility if he pitches 4 more great years and 4 solid years til age 40. He'll have to win a ton of games, but if he settles at 250 wins at the end of his career, he'd have a good argument, particularly since he's been statistically great (esp. in the AL East) but the wins aren't there. Very Mussina situation-like.
    I think the HOF is going to have to adjust their criteria for starters and maybe by the time Halladay is eligible, 250 wins will be the new "300". I think Randy Johnson is probably the last guy we'll see reach that magic number. Even with a target of 250, Halladay's got a long road ahead of him, especially if he stays in the AL East. He's already thrown so many CG's, I'd be concerned about how long he'll last.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve
    I think the HOF is going to have to adjust their criteria for starters and maybe by the time Halladay is eligible, 250 wins will be the new "300". I think Randy Johnson is probably the last guy we'll see reach that magic number. Even with a target of 250, Halladay's got a long road ahead of him, especially if he stays in the AL East. He's already thrown so many CG's, I'd be concerned about how long he'll last.
    It may hurt pitcher who doesn't have Cy Young or 20 wins season (Thank God Moose gets one). The fact is that pitchers don't need 300 wins to be a HOFer. Juan Marichal has 243 wins, Don Drysdale has 209 wins and they are in the Hall. Right now Halladay already has one Cy Young, two 20 wins season and 5 times All-Star. Voters love that kinds of state. If Halladay gets his 200 wins, he will get some serious consideration.

Voters also like W%, which right now is very much in favor of Halladay (.665). Only Lefty Grove and Whitey Ford have better W% among all Hall of Famers.

I think he's on pace to at least be borderline 6, 7-8 years from now.

Thread Information