+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 115
  1. #1
    NYYF Triple Crown

    sjb23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Trade Proposals/FA Signings That Just Might Make Sense

    If the Yankees can't or don't sign Mark Teixiera (unfortunately I think he'll sign with the Angels), here's how they can mend the offense:

    Send Robinson Cano, Ian Kennedy, and either Daniel McCutchen or Alan Horne to the Orioles in exchange for Brian Roberts -- The Orioles may not be able to re-sign Roberts, whose contract expires after 2009. He's signed for $9M this year. Robinson Cano is cost-controlled though 2011 ($6M-2009,$9M-2010,$10M-2011), and has a $2M buyout in 2012. If the Yanks acquired Roberts with the intentions of extending his contract (4yrs/$44M through 2013), the Orioles would have a fine, younger, less expensive replacement for him at 2nd, and pick up some good young prospects in Kennedy and McCutchen or Horne. The Yanks would pick up a switch-hitting leadoff man, which in turn will enable them to..

    Send Johnny Damon and Edwar Ramirez or Jose Veras, along with whoever the Orioles don't choose between McCutchen or Horne to the Cubs in exchange for Derrick Lee -- According to the Chicago Tribune, the Cubs are looking for a leadoff hitter, a left-handed outfielder (for either CF or RF), and relievers. They've got Lee signed for 2009 and 2010 @ $13M for each season. They have a young lefty-hitting first baseman in Micah Hoffpaur to replace Lee. They fill all three needs with Damon and either Ramirez or Veras, plus get a decent pitching prospect in either McCutchen or Horne. The Yankees replace Giambi with Lee, and replace Damon (this is the time to trade him) in LF with Nady. Posada gets a break from catching by spelling Derrick Lee at 1B every now and then.

    Send Hideki Matsui, Austin Jackson, Melky Cabrera, and Phil Hughes to the Dodgers in exchange for Matt Kemp -- Joe Torre gets the Yankees' top two prospects in Phil Hughes and Austin Jackson, who replaces Kemp in CF in 2010. In Matsui, Torre gets a bat and a left fielder to replace Manny Ramirez, who signs with the Yankees as a DH for 3yrs/$75M/ with a $10M signing bonus and a team option for 2012. The Dodgers also get an inexpensive 4th outfielder in Melky Cabrera. The Yankees get a young, major league-ready CFer with lots of potential.

    The Yankees re-sign Bobby Abreu for 2yrs/$30M, with a team option for $15M in 2011, or a $10M buyout. They also sign utility infielder Nick Punto to replace Wilson Betamit and back up 2B,SS,and 3B.

    Now look at this lineup:

    Roberts - 2B - S
    Jeter - SS - R
    Abreu - RF - L
    A-Rod - 3B - R
    Ramirez - DH - R
    Lee - 1B - R
    Nady - LF - R
    Posada - C - S
    Kemp - CF - R

    Molina,Gardner,Cody Ransom,and Punto on the bench.

    With so many right-handed hitters, they neutralize the opposing team bringing in lefty relievers -- maybe this is a good thing? The offense gets just a little younger, with better defense at 1B, more offense from CF, and a great leadoff hitter/base-stealer. There wouldn't be many home run hitters (mainly A-Rod and Ramirez), but a very dangerous offense nonetheless.

    All that would be left to do is re-sign Pettitte (1yr/$12M),sign Sabathia (6yrs/$145M) and AJ Burnett (3yrs/$54M):

    Sabathia - L
    Wang - R
    Burnett - R
    Pettitte - L
    Chamberlain - R

    Eric Milton and Victor Zambrano wait in Scranton in case of injuries.
    .
    Rivera - closer
    Bruney - 7th-8th inning
    Marte - 7th-8th inning, lefty
    Sanchez - 6th inning
    Ramirez/Veras - 6th inning
    Aceves - long relief
    Coke - long relief, 2nd lefty

    This would not only be a playoff-contending team, it could go to the World Series. Discuss?

  2. #2

    Re: Trade Proposals/FA Signings That Just Might Make Sense

    McCutchen was dealt in the Nady deal, thats a lot to give up for Kemp. O's aren't going to trade us anything.

  3. #3
    NYYF Triple Crown

    TheGameEpisode2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere, Center of Everywhere.

    Re: Trade Proposals/FA Signings That Just Might Make Sense

    Four players, two of them top prospects, one of them one of the best hitters on the team, and...Melky...for Matt Kemp?


    Pass.

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    Mo bends. Mo don't break.

  4. #4
    NYYF Triple Crown

    sjb23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Re: Trade Proposals/FA Signings That Just Might Make Sense

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHugeUnit2
    McCutchen was dealt in the Nady deal,
    My bad. Substitute George Kontos or Jason Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHugeUnit2
    thats a lot to give up for Kemp.
    I agree...but Kemp could solve a big problem for us for years to come-what would be a better package?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHugeUnit2
    O's aren't going to trade us anything.
    Even if they're going to lose Roberts to free agency after 2009? Even if they're obtaining a younger, very good substitute (in Cano) for less money,in addition to some good pitching prospects?

  5. #5

    Re: Trade Proposals/FA Signings That Just Might Make Sense

    Quote Originally Posted by sjb23
    Even if they're going to lose Roberts to free agency after 2009? Even if they're obtaining a younger, very good substitute (in Cano) for less money,in addition to some good pitching prospects?
    They can get other packages from teams like the Brewers, White Sox, Dodgers and maybe Cards? Among others and they won't have to deal with us.

  6. #6
    NYYF Triple Crown

    sjb23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Re: Trade Proposals/FA Signings That Just Might Make Sense

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGameEpisode2
    Four players, two of them top prospects, one of them one of the best hitters on the team, and...Melky...for Matt Kemp?
    Chances are the Dodgers will have to be "overwhelmed" in order to give up Kemp. When you look at the proposal a little closer:

    Matsui only has one year left on his contract and he needs to be moved if Manny Ramirez is to be brought in as the DH. The Dodgers/Joe Torre would probably love to have Matsui's bat in the lineup as they wait for Austin Jackson to come up in 2010.

    Austin Jackson is no longer needed by the Yanks if they pick up Kemp, and yet he'll offset the loss of Kemp in 2010. Perhaps the Dodgers would do the deal without including him? If so, he'd be nice to hold onto.

    Phil Hughes is the real talent being offered for Kemp, and the Yanks should be willing to move a pitcher for a postion player as important as a CFer. Hopefully guys like Humberto Sanchez, Andrew Brackman or Dellin Betances will replace Hughes.

    Cabrera just gives the Dodgers some insurance as a 4th OFer in 2009.

  7. #7
    NYYF Triple Crown

    sjb23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Re: Trade Proposals/FA Signings That Just Might Make Sense

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHugeUnit2
    They can get other packages from teams like the Brewers, White Sox, Dodgers and maybe Cards? Among others and they won't have to deal with us.
    I think you may be under-estimating Cano's value and his reasonable contract.The Yanks did a good thing by signing him long term with options,and remember,this is the same guy who most of us said last year would eventually be a batting champion.

  8. #8

    Re: Trade Proposals/FA Signings That Just Might Make Sense

    someone's been drinking too much kool aid today.

  9. #9
    But did Peter Abraham disco? Slioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Trade Proposals/FA Signings That Just Might Make Sense

    Quote Originally Posted by sjb23
    If the Yankees can't or don't sign Mark Teixiera (unfortunately I think he'll sign with the Angels), here's how they can mend the offense:

    Send Robinson Cano, Ian Kennedy, and either Daniel McCutchen or Alan Horne to the Orioles in exchange for Brian Roberts -- The Orioles may not be able to re-sign Roberts, whose contract expires after 2009. He's signed for $9M this year. Robinson Cano is cost-controlled though 2011 ($6M-2009,$9M-2010,$10M-2011), and has a $2M buyout in 2012. If the Yanks acquired Roberts with the intentions of extending his contract (4yrs/$44M through 2013), the Orioles would have a fine, younger, less expensive replacement for him at 2nd, and pick up some good young prospects in Kennedy and McCutchen or Horne. The Yanks would pick up a switch-hitting leadoff man, which in turn will enable them to..
    So, no one else wants Brian Roberts? They can't top the value of a diminished valued Cano, Ian Kennedy, and Greg Kontos/Alan Horne (who barely pitched this season)? The man that statistically was the second best AL 2B next to Pedroia? Doubtful.

    The Yankees are in their own division. It isn't going to happen, nor do I want it to happen. Defensively, Roberts is about average. He was above average this year, below average the previous. In 2007, Cano's defense was 10 runs batter. I will admit, Cano isn't the same player as Roberts, but with a defensive rebound he'll be good enough. Like you said, he has a reasonable contract and I believe that he'll rebound. It's not like his LD% dropped precipitously low.

    Quote Originally Posted by sjb23
    Send Johnny Damon and Edwar Ramirez or Jose Veras, along with whoever the Orioles don't choose between McCutchen or Horne to the Cubs in exchange for Derrick Lee -- According to the Chicago Tribune, the Cubs are looking for a leadoff hitter, a left-handed outfielder (for either CF or RF), and relievers. They've got Lee signed for 2009 and 2010 @ $13M for each season. They have a young lefty-hitting first baseman in Micah Hoffpaur to replace Lee. They fill all three needs with Damon and either Ramirez or Veras, plus get a decent pitching prospect in either McCutchen or Horne. The Yankees replace Giambi with Lee, and replace Damon (this is the time to trade him) in LF with Nady. Posada gets a break from catching by spelling Derrick Lee at 1B every now and then.
    Because the Cubs really want to trust first base to Hoffpauir. He got very lucky at the MLB level, I can say that much. In the National League, Derrick Lee was a below average first baseman according to OPD. Defensively, and offensively. Compared to Giambi, he was worth -25 runs. That's a ton of games. He's signed for 13 million a year. Really, I pass. I will say that Damon is at the height of his value, but I'm not trading him for Derrick Lee. Also, when has McCutchen been a decent pitching prospect, even if the Yankees don't have him anymore? He'll be 26 and his minor league numbers arn't spectacular.

    Quote Originally Posted by sjb23
    Send Hideki Matsui, Austin Jackson, Melky Cabrera, and Phil Hughes to the Dodgers in exchange for Matt Kemp -- Joe Torre gets the Yankees' top two prospects in Phil Hughes and Austin Jackson, who replaces Kemp in CF in 2010. In Matsui, Torre gets a bat and a left fielder to replace Manny Ramirez, who signs with the Yankees as a DH for 3yrs/$75M/ with a $10M signing bonus and a team option for 2012. The Dodgers also get an inexpensive 4th outfielder in Melky Cabrera. The Yankees get a young, major league-ready CFer with lots of potential.
    Jackson, Hughes, Melky, AND Matsui for Matt Kemp? Are you kidding me?
    Look. I don't like Kemp. Kemp was 8.8 runs above average this year in the National League. His defense was wholly average. If Brett Gardner played all year to his minor league equivalents, he would been more valuable. Matt Kemp is highly overrated. He's not good enough defensively, he's not that good offensively, and he's not worth all of that talent. His .894 OPS in 2007 isn't solid at all -- it relied on a BABIP over .400.

    Of everyone that strikes out at the rate Matt Kemp does, he's the one with the least power and the least amount of walks.

    Quote Originally Posted by sjb23
    The Yankees re-sign Bobby Abreu for 2yrs/$30M, with a team option for $15M in 2011, or a $10M buyout. They also sign utility infielder Nick Punto to replace Wilson Betamit and back up 2B,SS,and 3B.
    Bobby Abreu. No. No. No. No. No.
    He was worth -22 runs compared to the average right fielder. Twenty-two. I don't expect him to be THAT bad, but that is terrible. Not to mention Abreu is looking for a 3-year-deal and that we would be losing out on the draft pick compensation he would bring.

    Nick Punto is a fine idea, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by sjb23
    Now look at this lineup:

    Roberts - 2B - S
    Jeter - SS - R
    Abreu - RF - L
    A-Rod - 3B - R
    Ramirez - DH - R
    Lee - 1B - R
    Nady - LF - R
    Posada - C - S
    Kemp - CF - R

    Molina,Gardner,Cody Ransom,and Punto on the bench.

    With so many right-handed hitters, they neutralize the opposing team bringing in lefty relievers -- maybe this is a good thing? The offense gets just a little younger, with better defense at 1B, more offense from CF, and a great leadoff hitter/base-stealer. There wouldn't be many home run hitters (mainly A-Rod and Ramirez), but a very dangerous offense nonetheless.
    It's not a bad lineup, I will admit.


    Quote Originally Posted by sjb23
    All that would be left to do is re-sign Pettitte (1yr/$12M),sign Sabathia (6yrs/$145M) and AJ Burnett (3yrs/$54M):

    Sabathia - L
    Wang - R
    Burnett - R
    Pettitte - L
    Chamberlain - R
    Oh, jeez. What is the payroll on this sucker, anyway? I want to sign Sabathia and Pettitte. I'm on the fence with Burnett.

    Quote Originally Posted by sjb23
    Eric Milton and Victor Zambrano wait in Scranton in case of injuries.
    .
    Rivera - closer
    Bruney - 7th-8th inning
    Marte - 7th-8th inning, lefty
    Sanchez - 6th inning
    Ramirez/Veras - 6th inning
    Aceves - long relief
    Coke - long relief, 2nd lefty

    This would not only be a playoff-contending team, it could go to the World Series. Discuss?
    The bullpen doesn't look bad. It might be a little unproven, though.

  10. #10
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: Trade Proposals/FA Signings That Just Might Make Sense

    Quote Originally Posted by sjb23


    I agree...but Kemp could solve a big problem for us for years to come-what would be a better package?
    None, because no GM in their right mind would trade all that for a young outfielder who strikes out twice as much as he walks. This is Matt Kemp, not Matt Holliday and even then I'd be hesitant.

  11. #11

    Re: Trade Proposals/FA Signings That Just Might Make Sense

    This is the most ridic thing I have ever read. We all know the Cash didn't trade Hughes for Santana, why would he trade him now. O's not trading within division and they have alot of money this offseason to spend and Horne is good, he's staying.

    Lee is on decline, no way Cubs are trading him for what you listed, and the all that for Kemp is absolutely ridic. AJax is really the only top hitting prospect we have and there is no way he's going to be traded.

  12. #12
    Released Outright webassign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sapporo, Japan

    Re: Trade Proposals/FA Signings That Just Might Make Sense

    Orioles will never trade Roberts to us.
    I'd love to get rid of Damon, but Derrek Lee isn't the answer to our 1st base problem.
    I like Kemp, but not that much.
    I'm on the fence about Abreu. I'd like to see what kind of hitting solutions Cashman will come up with this off season before deciding on him.
    Don't see why we need Punto. Can't hit a lick. Cody Ransom would be good enough IMO for utility infielder. I'd go for some pop off the bench.
    Those years/dollars for Sabathia might be a little too low, particularly the latter. And I'd definitely avoid Burnett.

  13. #13
    NYYF Triple Crown

    sjb23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Re: Trade Proposals/FA Signings That Just Might Make Sense

    okay, okay.....

    forget the Cano for Roberts deal....

    forget the Damon for Lee deal...

    let's restructure the Kemp deal -- how about Matsui, Jackson, and Kennedy?

    now re-sign Abreu and put Nady at 1st, sign Ramirez as originally planned.

    Now the lineup is;

    Damon - LF - L
    Jeter - SS - R
    Abreu - RF- L
    A-Rod - 3B - R
    Ramirez - DH - R
    Cano - 2B - L
    Nady - 1B - R
    Posada - C - S
    Kemp - CF - R

    Is the offense better?

  14. #14
    But did Peter Abraham disco? Slioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Trade Proposals/FA Signings That Just Might Make Sense

    Quote Originally Posted by sjb23
    let's restructure the Kemp deal -- how about Matsui, Jackson, and Kennedy?
    If you were the Dodgers, do you trade Kemp for a DH, an unproven CF, and a starter who hasn't shown to be anything more than an AAAA starter?

    Quote Originally Posted by sjb23
    now re-sign Abreu and put Nady at 1st, sign Ramirez as originally planned.
    No on Abreu. His defense is absolutely atrocious and he wants a 3 year contract.

    Quote Originally Posted by sjb23
    Damon - LF - L
    Jeter - SS - R
    Abreu - RF- L
    A-Rod - 3B - R
    Ramirez - DH - R
    Cano - 2B - L
    Nady - 1B - R
    Posada - C - S
    Kemp - CF - R
    Is the offense better?
    Offensively, it is better compared to what we had, but I still have issues with some of your moves.

  15. #15

    Re: Trade Proposals/FA Signings That Just Might Make Sense

    No Thanks on Brian Roberts.. Cano has more upside... Yankees would never do that deal.. nor the orioles for the matter.

    Derrick Lee is never happening for that package.. Cubs could get more elsewhere.

    And your putting to much stock into Matt Kemp.. he's still a unproven player.. I wouldn't do Phil Hughes for Matt Kemp straight up honestly.. the dodgers would take that package and run like they stole something.

  16. #16
    Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tejas

    Re: Trade Proposals/FA Signings That Just Might Make Sense

    Burnett over sheets is just plain foolish. If you're going to dream, at least dream logically


    And jeter NEEDS to be lead off. When someone is on base, something happens (opposing pitching or his approach) where he just GIDP like it's going out of style. If that switch was made, I think it would have easily amounted to a few more wins.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

  17. #17
    This is our future. JohnnyDamonfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: Trade Proposals/FA Signings That Just Might Make Sense

    I'd do the Matt Kemp in a heartbeat. No questions asked.Hideki Matsui, Austin Jackson, Melky Cabrera, and Phil Hughes pack your fricken bags.
    Still and will always be a New England Patriots fan.


    [quote=THEBOSS84]You may be my favorite poster on the site. So sweet and innocent.[/quote]

  18. #18
    NYYF MVP

    ArodMVP217's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York

    Re: Trade Proposals/FA Signings That Just Might Make Sense

    Quote Originally Posted by sjb23
    Chances are the Dodgers will have to be "overwhelmed" in order to give up Kemp. When you look at the proposal a little closer:

    Matsui only has one year left on his contract and he needs to be moved if Manny Ramirez is to be brought in as the DH. The Dodgers/Joe Torre would probably love to have Matsui's bat in the lineup as they wait for Austin Jackson to come up in 2010.

    Austin Jackson is no longer needed by the Yanks if they pick up Kemp, and yet he'll offset the loss of Kemp in 2010. Perhaps the Dodgers would do the deal without including him? If so, he'd be nice to hold onto.

    Phil Hughes is the real talent being offered for Kemp, and the Yanks should be willing to move a pitcher for a postion player as important as a CFer. Hopefully guys like Humberto Sanchez, Andrew Brackman or Dellin Betances will replace Hughes.

    Cabrera just gives the Dodgers some insurance as a 4th OFer in 2009.
    an idea; don't overwhelm thm.
    "If we have to, we'll hoard everybody. That's what the Yankees used to do."

    “Most lineups will hate facing our pitching and most pitching will hate facing our lineup,”

  19. #19

    Re: Trade Proposals/FA Signings That Just Might Make Sense

    I'm really glad you are not our GM.
    I'm too smooth you'll never see me comin', I'm never in a hurry I'm just movin' fast...

  20. #20
    Released Outright JavyVazquezIsSick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland

    Re: Trade Proposals/FA Signings That Just Might Make Sense

    My God, I wouldn't trade Cano for Roberts straight up. These are horrible horrible ideas.

  21. #21
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Dumont, New Jersey

    Re: Trade Proposals/FA Signings That Just Might Make Sense

    Quote Originally Posted by JavyVazquezIsSick
    My God, I wouldn't trade Cano for Roberts straight up. These are horrible horrible ideas.
    Agreed!
    [B][SIZE=2]Congrats are in order to the 2009 WS Champion Yankees. Let's keep it going! [/SIZE][/B]

  22. #22

    Re: Trade Proposals/FA Signings That Just Might Make Sense

    Quote Originally Posted by JavyVazquezIsSick
    My God, I wouldn't trade Cano for Roberts straight up. These are horrible horrible ideas.
    I thought convincing a team to take a prospect that we don't have is a pretty good deal.
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

  23. #23
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: Trade Proposals/FA Signings That Just Might Make Sense

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDamonfan
    I'd do the Matt Kemp in a heartbeat. No questions asked.Hideki Matsui, Austin Jackson, Melky Cabrera, and Phil Hughes pack your fricken bags.
    I can't see how people don't realize how awful this trade is. You're trading FOUR players, three them which are pretty valuable for a young outfielder.

  24. #24
    Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Too Close to Fenway

    Re: Trade Proposals/FA Signings That Just Might Make Sense

    Quote Originally Posted by teknetic
    I can't see how people don't realize how awful this trade is. You're trading FOUR players, three them which are pretty valuable for a young outfielder.
    Best part is, we are trading 2 of our best prospects and not even getting a starting pitcher back, which is what we need most
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

  25. #25

    Re: Trade Proposals/FA Signings That Just Might Make Sense

    This thread should be merged with this one:

    http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=114726
    I'm too smooth you'll never see me comin', I'm never in a hurry I'm just movin' fast...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts