+ Reply to Thread
    Released Outright

High Socks or Not????

I'm just curious as to who here likes it when players put their socks up high, like Scotty Bro does in the picture at the bottom, or who likes the socks to be hidden under the pants, or who like both and doesn't care either way????

I like the "high socks" on certain players, and on others I don't think it looks quite as good. When it comes to Scotty Bro, I do.

4PEAT!!!!

NYYF Legend

Interestingly, the Staten Island Yankees seem to have a requirement for HIGH socks; ALL the players have them way up.

I just don't like pants so low the cuff is touching the shoe.

Back in the old days everyone wore their socks like that, so I guess they should wear it like that.

Forum Regular

Scott's don't bother me, but Soriano looks like he is choking on his!!!

#1 BronxBomber Enthusiast JeanC's Avatar
    Country living at ITS BEST! Indiana of Course!
    Originally posted by Slippery Elm

I just don't like pants so low the cuff is touching the shoe.
    Like Chuck's?!

I Love Them! They Look Great and Stylish for a Change!

Yankees Are Still the Best in the MLB! Better than ALL the Rest!!!!!

If I were a player I'd definately wear my socks up high.
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds - Robert Nesta Marley

Addicted Member
    I love the high socks, they are old-timey and cool. I tend to like players who wear them that way - at least they get a presumption of likability until they do something to annoy me. Even more than the high socks I love the look of stirrups, which you really don't see all that often any more - Rick Ankiel showed some stirrup when he was in the majors (hope he comes back soon ). Another odd variation is the high socks with the horizontal stripes on top - I've noticed a couple Braves (Remlinger and Marquis, I think) wearing these.

NYYF Cy Young

I love the socks. I like the traditional look of it and like satchel, I like the stirrups too. Pants down looks like a pick up softball game, especially with the teams that wear t-shirts rather than jerseys. I think Jim Thome of the Indians has the coolest look, like he just stepped out of a B&W photo from the past.

Whatever hits better

NYYF Triple Crown

Originally posted by chriscary
    Whatever hits better
    ditto
    whatever works!

I like the high socks, for the most part, and I agree on the stirrups, I'm not that old, but I can remember when they had to wear them showing (I think, at least it seems like they all did).

Although I don't know how Chuck would look in high socks, I think he would look shorter than he is!

Keep smiling and making those fashion statements...

To be sane is more dramatic than to be mad - GK Chesterton, Orthodoxy

NYYF Legend

I like the look of the high socks personally. The stirrups look good too. I guess its because it's more traditional and (maybe I'm going off base with this) pays a little respect to the history of the game on a players level.

Released Outright
    Thanks to everyone who has replied.

I'd love to see Jete do the high sock thing!

Citizen
    The high sox look good, especially with stirrups. In the 60's some players cut the bottom of the stirrup and sewed in a little extra fabric so that when pulled up tight, the thin part of the stirrup came away from the leg. They called it "high cuts", and it made you look cool.

The worst is the sock with the vertical stripe to look like a stirrup. My friend's wife always yells at guys in the minors who have this horrible fashion sense. In fact she yells at pretty much any player or manager who disrespects the game. We were at a AA game several years ago, and the left fielder was eating a candy bar on his way to LF. When he was finished, he tossed the wrapper on the field next to him. My friend's wife went nuts, and started calling him "litterbug". In the pretty empty stadium, he heard her real well. So well, infact, that he picked up the srapper, and put it in his pocket. We gave him a standing "O" for that one.
    --Jim

NYYF HOF

Socking the ball is all I care about!!

Casey
    We have enough youth.
    How about a fountain of "smart"?

I don't mind the socks high or low, but what does irk me is the baggy pants (Derek Bell) or the no cuffs look (Manny Ramirez, Russel Branyan)

NYYF Legend

Before the era of light stretch fabrics, when pants were hot and heavy, turning them into knickers with socks above the calf, allowed players to run faster and unencumbered. Now it is only a matter of style.

Cincinnatti had (has??) a requirement standardizing sock length. No one else does.

I hated the Frank Robinson "skinny stirrup" style of leg wear going back to the Seventies. You had one long white sock with a little orange running up the side, from when he played with Baltimore.

Yankee Stadium: 1923-2008 DiMaggio5CF's Avatar
    Personally, I like the high socks. It's that old-school look. I play ball and I wear my socks high.

I love the high-socks look! You're right, I have always thought it was old-timey. Bro looks so much better that way. Remember when Coney pulled his socks up once? It looked better on him too. I can't picture Chuck with high socks though....

Addicted Member
    Another "old-timey" variation, like high socks, that I think is cool is batting without gloves. I know Posada does this when the weather is warm, and Mark Grace -- one of the most "old-school" type players on the field today, in my opinion -- is another I can think of who does this. I can't think of any others off the top of my head but I think there are a few.

Originally posted by satchel
    Even more than the high socks I love the look of stirrups, which you really don't see all that often any more - Rick Ankiel showed some stirrup when he was in the majors (hope he comes back soon ).
    Last year I noticed a bunch of Staten Island Yankees with stirrups. I'm not sure if they're still wearing them though, because i haven't gotten to Greensboro to see the Bats play (most of the SI Yanks are playing on the bats now).....

Addicted Member

I have to say I love the high socks!!!!

Thread Information