+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Member
    IndyYankeesFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis

    The Official 2008 Indianapolis Colts thread

    Hopefully, I am not the only Colts fan on the board.

    Congrats again to the Giants for the SB win last season. I don't think I have ever enjoyed a non-Colt win as much as I did that one.

    Colts are starting TC with a few of the stars on the sidelines, but all are expected to be ready to go by game 1 of the season.

    Latest on big brother:

    http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...sohn071808.htm

    Dungy says Manning to be back with three weeks left in preseason
    By PFW staff
    July 18, 2008


    Perhaps Peyton Manning will back earlier than initially believed. Appearing on the "Waddle & Silvy" show on ESPN radio in Chicago Friday morning, Colts coach Tony Dungy said that he expects Manning to be back on the field with three weeks left to go in the preseason. Manning underwent surgery on his left knee to remove an infected bursa sac in his left knee earlier in the week, and team president Bill Polian gave a time frame for his return of 4-6 weeks.

    Manning has started every game of his career, 160 total. It’s the league’s second-longest streak, ranking just behind Brett Favre. The Colts have five preseason games, and open up the regular season Sept. 7 against the Bears at the recently constructed Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

  2. #2
    Looking ahead to 2009... RIyankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    43 miles west of Gillette Stadium

    Re: The Official 2008 Indianapolis Colts thread

    Quote Originally Posted by IndyYankeesFan
    Hopefully, I am not the only Colts fan on the board.
    Let's put it this way, I started the last Colts thread.

    That said, when the Jets suck, their fans will live their football lives vicariously through the Colts.


    IMO, the only important thing to be concerned about is the health of the pass rush unit. To illustrate my point, I'll refer to last year's Pats/Colts game. When Freeney and Mathis were getting to Brady, the Colts were winning and the Pats offense was struggling. However, F&M had played the entire game and by the 4thQ, they were worn down. That resulted in Brady getting more time and the Pats offense exploded for 2 late TDs.

    Now, Freeney is recovering from a serious foot injury. The good news is I really like their 5th round pick, Marcus Howard (DE, Georgia). He was a late starter in his college career and has upside. He seems to be cut from the same cloth as Mathis. If Howard can play well enough to be a contributing part of a 3-man DE rotation, this pick will have the greatest impact from the 2008 Draft. When Indy won in 2006, IMO, it was their terrific Pass Defense that made the difference. That said, if Howard struggles and Freeney is slow in returning, your team is toast.

    Note that I don't mention anything about Peyton or WRs. They'll get their points, but Indy will only go as far as their D takes them.


    Welcome!
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][U][URL="http://reason.com/"]Reason Online[/URL]
    [URL="http://junkscience.com/"]Junk Science[/URL]
    [URL="http://reason.tv/"]Drew Carey Project[/URL][/U][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

  3. #3
    Member
    IndyYankeesFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis

    Re: The Official 2008 Indianapolis Colts thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RIyankee
    Let's put it this way, I started the last Colts thread.

    That said, when the Jets suck, their fans will live their football lives vicariously through the Colts.


    IMO, the only important thing to be concerned about is the health of the pass rush unit. To illustrate my point, I'll refer to last year's Pats/Colts game. When Freeney and Mathis were getting to Brady, the Colts were winning and the Pats offense was struggling. However, F&M had played the entire game and by the 4thQ, they were worn down. That resulted in Brady getting more time and the Pats offense exploded for 2 late TDs.

    Now, Freeney is recovering from a serious foot injury. The good news is I really like their 5th round pick, Marcus Howard (DE, Georgia). He was a late starter in his college career and has upside. He seems to be cut from the same cloth as Mathis. If Howard can play well enough to be a contributing part of a 3-man DE rotation, this pick will have the greatest impact from the 2008 Draft. When Indy won in 2006, IMO, it was their terrific Pass Defense that made the difference. That said, if Howard struggles and Freeney is slow in returning, your team is toast.

    Note that I don't mention anything about Peyton or WRs. They'll get their points, but Indy will only go as far as their D takes them.


    Welcome!
    I didn't think I would find any Pats fans on a Yankees forum. Thanks for the welcome. Freeney sounds and looks like he is pretty close to 100%. But, I agree that if the Colts don't have a pass rush, they are toast (see: Volek passing on Colts D in Jan. playoff game). I am just hoping that they can get through training camp without any more major injuries. It's been a tough year injury-wise. Plus, the Colts have to play 5 of these damn preseason games.

  4. #4
    Looking ahead to 2009... RIyankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    43 miles west of Gillette Stadium

    Re: The Official 2008 Indianapolis Colts thread

    Quote Originally Posted by IndyYankeesFan
    I didn't think I would find any Pats fans on a Yankees forum. Thanks for the welcome. Freeney sounds and looks like he is pretty close to 100%. But, I agree that if the Colts don't have a pass rush, they are toast (see: Volek passing on Colts D in Jan. playoff game). I am just hoping that they can get through training camp without any more major injuries. It's been a tough year injury-wise. Plus, the Colts have to play 5 of these damn preseason games.
    I also thought that the Colts made a wise decision to bring back Dominic Rhodes. Of all their departures from a year ago, I felt that Indy would miss Rhodes the most. IMO, Addai can't handle a full season without someone to spell him. That showed in the 2nd half of last season. An argument can be made for Rhodes being the SB MVP against the Bears. If Rhodes returns to form after spending a season in NFL Siberia, Addai should enjoy better results in 2008.

    One more mention about Howard. Dungy's 1-gap attack system is simple and conducive to rookies. Therefore, it's not out of the realm of possibilty to see him make an impact in 2008.
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][U][URL="http://reason.com/"]Reason Online[/URL]
    [URL="http://junkscience.com/"]Junk Science[/URL]
    [URL="http://reason.tv/"]Drew Carey Project[/URL][/U][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

  5. #5
    Member
    IndyYankeesFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis

    Re: The Official 2008 Indianapolis Colts discussion

    Marvin Harrison is cleared and ready to go for training camp.

    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...RTS03/80722045

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts